Bastard Kat - Kulshan Brewing Company

pDev: 10%
Kulshan Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Beer added by: beertunes on 03-21-2012

Bastard Kat IPA is an American IPA, brewed in the style of West Coast IPAs. The light golden ale is topped with a thick white head. Generous doses of hops throughout the brewing process, including the hop back and dry hopping, give Bastard Kat a crisp, citrusy, hop aroma. Hop bitterness and flavor are both pronounced, making Bastard Kat a natural for hop-heads. The finish is dry and crisp, leaving you ready for another sip.
Ratings: 52 | Reviews: 15
3.1/5  rDev -22.5%

Mildly sweet with dominant grassy/green/vegetal flavors. Not my thing,

4.12/5  rDev +3%

12oz can (plus two more) included as part of a box of awesomeness by the estimable Bellingham BA known as @beertunes. I reviewed this before and found it somewhat lacking, and seemed to differ from most, judging by the reviews, so I’m glad to have another crack at it (actually 3! beertunes rocks).

Poured into a Boundary Bay pint glass, this was a golden-amber color, with a good-sized, sudsy, bone-white head. Said head dropped after 2-3 minutes, but was easily agitated back to life, and left sheets of lace down the sides of the glass.

This had a “thick,” resiny hop aroma, with grapefruity, piney and (slightly) strawberryish esters.

Like in the aroma, the taste starts off as a thick, sticky, resiny hop assault to the tastebuds. It comes off a bit more bitter than in the aroma.

Medium bodied, with a sticky, oily, resiny mouthfeel.

Really liked this now that I’ve had another try at it. I don’t know what the deal was with the can I had previously. Maybe it was old, maybe it had an issue particular to its batch, maybe my palate was off, but it just didn’t do it for me. Judging by the reviews – then and since – my experience wasn’t typical, and I’m very grateful to beertunes for giving me another shot of this. If this were a local brew for me, I’d regularly have cans of this waiting to be drained, and they wouldn’t have long to wait! Thanks again, Terry!

2.37/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2

A – Pours a honey colored amber, nice thin white head, minimal lacing.

S – Smells of malts and bitter hops, not juicy or reminiscent of the West Coast style.

T – Tastes excessively bitter and overly sweet, struggles to find a balance here.

M – Medium bodied, nice carbonation.

O – Lacks balance and is incredibly bitter and sweet with no real hop profile.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Courtesy of @BeerTunes.

Pours a bright shiny gold color with a modest frothy white head.

Smell is a robust citrus scent. Orange and lemon blossoms.

Taste is a bitter lemon grapefruit and pine flavor.

Very crisp and wet.

A nice light in color and body drinkable IPA. Like the Bridgeport IPA but better.

4.04/5  rDev +1%

This was a bright, clear golden color; it poured with a big, sticky head.

I smelled plenty of pine and grapefruit pith plus just a touch of sugar cookie maltiness. The taste is similar, maybe a bit more balanced than the nose. Resinous pine dominates the hop profile. Lots of bitterness at the finish, this is a beast. I'm liking the sugar cooki/caramel sweetness cutting the hops. Really good IPA overall.

4.4/5  rDev +10%

This pours from the can a yellow gold colour with an impressive head of billowy foam. Slowly shrinking foam reveals some nice lacing.

The nose is of bitter citrus, grapefruit, and more bitterness from what I perceive as pine. Btw, there's still a 1 finger head of foam since I poured it.

A west coast IPA it claims to be and by golly, a west coast IPA it is. Deliciously bitter without being overly so. It's more of a piney hop bitterness than a citrus one and that pine seems to carry just the wee bit of malt sweetness along for the ride.

That, I think, takes the possible over the top bitterness to my palate to a more manageable level; it is still a very hop forward brew, mind you, but it rests in my comfort zone and that is always what I hope for in brews of this type.

The mouthfeel? Lets me just call it perfect.

Beertunes, mate, a big thank you for this wonderful nectar. I'm enjoying the long lasting aftertaste even now that my glass is sadly empty.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

The beer pours an orange amber color with decent head retention and lacing. On the nose, I get considerable orange citrus, but with some underlying sweet malt as well. The beer comes across as quite tropical and juicy on the nose, but with some nice underlying citrus as well. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, but there's some noticeable heat from alcohol on the finish, that mars the beers drinkability a bit. Otherwise, the beer delivers plenty of hoppy bitterness in an orange and tropical fruit package. Mouthfeel is fairly full, especially considering the relatively low abv.

A nice beer, though I wish the alcohol was a bit less noticeable.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

Pours perfect yellow amber with a fat creamy head of foam that lasts and leaves a bit of lace before receding to a thin ring. Looks perfectly clear at first glance but then reveals some very tiny particles floating in suspension. By the time I am done with the glass they are gone. The beer has some small bubbles floating upwards. The nose is lovely bright lemon that becomes sweeter and more bountiful as the beer warms. That is met by a bright bit of orange. Lovely combination on a soft and subtle sugar cookie malt. Light as your grandmother would make. There is a serenity in this malt that is both delicate and crisp. It verges on so many things but stays true to it's simplicity always . Light spice as the beer comes toward the finish which is delightfully light and dry. West coast style mouthfeel all the way and the only real weight in the mouthfeel is from the alcohol which is not on the palate. Brilliant! Then just as you think it's almost done a small stickiness comes over the palate and a bit of pine. Nothing too forceful now, just some light lip smacking delight. There is a lovely bitter to end this beer that really does linger a bit and showcase all that delicate flavor but it also brings out the tartness of the lemon.

I love this and think it's extremely well crafted. It has every measure of an IPA but not in copious amounts. It does not run roughshod over your palate it is subtle and perfectly balanced. The malt in this is superb and I wish I could describe it's grace better. The lightness and the crispness of it. Reminds me of a lemon drop candy by the end.

4/5  rDev 0%

12oz can into a tulip. Pours a clean pale copper color w/ a sudsy bright white head, nice patchy lace.

Aroma is clean bright floral, piney, citrusy hops. Has a sweetness to it.

Taste follows nose. Pale neutral malt and a nice blend of bright, flavorful hops. Juicy orange and grapefruit. Nice lightly bitter finish countered by a subtle sweetness.

Mouthfeel is balanced, clean, with a semi-dry finish.

Overall a straight-up tasty IPA. Highly drinkable.

Another big thanks to beertunes for sending this my way.

4/5  rDev 0%

A: more yellow than orange. Crystal clear. Small head.

S: mango.

T: mango and citrus. Mellow hop flavor and bitterness. Basic malt. A little on the sweet side.

M: medium carbonation. Medium, smooth body.

O: great IPA. Not over the top on hops. Balanced well. Just right. Needs a little more aroma.

3.73/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Perfectly clear crisp golden body. Light. Small white head sits atop like a picture. Pretty, but nothing extraordinary.

Nose is an interestingly creamy blend that's tough truly pin down. If I were forced to put it in a hoppy category I'd say somewhere between sweet floral and light freshly cut grass, and maybe some fruit, but not the fruits I normally associate with IPAs. Subtle. Enjoyable. Maybe some sweet lemon as well.

Flavour is similar to the aroma. That indiscernible hop presence starts off somewhat grassy and floral and sweet, with overtures to some unusual sweet fruits, though the flavour brings some definite dank hoppy pine bitterness. Builds into a acidicly bitter finish. I can see where some people would really dig this IPA, but to me it's just OK. Nothing wrong with adequately enjoyable, though!

3.88/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Somewhat disappointing actually. I think its just not my preference, but it seems too bitter without enough flavor to back it up. I enjoy bitter IPAs, but this seems to be bitter for the sake of it.

Their other beers more than make up for it, so not a big deal, I still love Kulshan

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

on-tap at the brewery

Served in a shaker - bright orange body shines in the Bellingham sunlight. Aromatic hop profile - lots of bright citrus, tangerine, lemon zest, hop oil. Nice oily body with a clean finish. This one goes down easy and is always worth a shot.

4.77/5  rDev +19.3%

Beautifully balanced IPA with components of citrus and tropical fruit, and just the right mouthfeel and body to strike a ba perfect balance between richness and ideal drinkability.

This brew is totally clean, and without any flaws that I could detect, and would make an ideal session ale...just what Bellingham needed!

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

The first release from Bellingham's newest brewery. Served in straight pint glass. This unfiltered brew had a hazy yellow color, with a bit of an orange tint, with about an inch of white head that had OK retention and good lacing.

The aroma featured very nice, bright floral and citrus (mostly lemon) hop scents and didn't really have a malty or grain presence. The taste was very similar, bright, crisp hops dominating and a very subtle malt profile.

The body was OK, fairly typical for the style and a bit thinner than I personally like, but I think the majority of hop heads will find it to right on the mark. Drinkability was good, I ended up having 5. Overall, a solid opening salvo from this brand new brewery, I look forward to seeing how this beer develops as they gain experience with their system. Certainly worth a shot when you see it.

Bastard Kat from Kulshan Brewing Company