Join our email list →

Washington, United States | website

Winter Warmer |  ABV ?

Beer added by: Impfan on 11-25-2012

3.81/5  rDev -2.8%

Beautiful dark brown bordering on black with a decent sized tan head. Thin appearing bubbles. Excellent retention and decent lacing.

Nose is dark brown bread and muted spices.
Taking a taste we get sticky dark bread dough, with some brown sugar and somewhere between coffee and molasses, though less sharp, more a dull bitterness.
Seemed as if it was going to be a bit thin and carbonated, but nearing the end of the glass I realize that this is not actually the case. Finish is long and bitter and somewhat nutty.
Winter Warmers occupy a middle ground for me wherein I feel like if I want something malty and dark I tend towards something a bit thicker more chewy and rich, and if I want something bitter I tend more towards the juicy IPAs. This is part of why I want to explore them a bit more this season and develop a better understanding and appreciation thereof. Kitten Mittens is basically the first in that venture, and I think it's a worthy foray into the realm of winter warmers.

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a very dark mahogany brown with quite a bit of opacity and a nice three finger khaki head with good retention and webby lacing. Aroma of dark malt, brown bread, mild caramel malt, winter spices; lightly nutty with a mild mineral component. Flavor is dark sweet malt balanced between toasted and caramel malts, hints of Belgian yeast, dark dried fruit, ginger, cinnamon, hints of piney hops all nicely integrated. Spicy, lightly hoppy finish with lingering grassy bitterness. Great creamy medium body with nice mouth feel. A really satisfying, dark winter warmer with a light hand on the spices and a great supporting malt body. Spices and hops leave a pleasant lingering earthy bitterness. I'm going back for some more of this; it will be great to bring to holiday events. Nice.

Very deep brown pour with off-white frothy head. Nose of coffee, toffee, caramel, touch of chocolate and very subtle citrus and allspice.

Taste is similar to the nose, and the body is on the creamy side. There is some brown, dried fruit in the flavor, graininess a dash of citrus, a decided leafy character (almost lapsang souchong smoky)and the finish is light roast coffee, and of long duration.

This is a very nice seasonal that I first thought was very straightforward, but it seems to reveal more complexity, as it is slowly sipped. I definitely prefer this one over our other local holiday ale, Boundary Bay's Cabin Fever.

Kitten Mittens from Kulshan Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.