Frambozenbier - Brouwerij Liefmans

FrambozenbierFrambozenbier

Brouwerij Liefmans visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 02-17-2002)
3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Corked bottle poured into a tall snifter-style glass. It pours a hazy brownish-red color with one finger of head. There is just a bit of lacing on the glass. The smell is both sweet and sour, bits of raspberry and just a little tart. The taste is sweet with raspberry, and not as tart as the smell. Fairly tame even. Has just a slightly sour finish. The mouthfeel is just a little light and watery. The drinkability fairs well though. A decent Framboise.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

The beer pours an orange/reddish brown color, with 2 fingers of head. The nose is nice tart raspberries. The flavor is not overpowering raspberry. It is a nice tart sour with raspberry taking a backseat. A nice offering. The beer is fairly thin, with a small bit of carb, but it works well. Better than other raspberry lambics I've had. Good drinkability. Easy to finish a bottle of this one.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Had a bottle of this last weekend..

Pours out a syrupy winey red.. Smell is delighfully fruity, with the obvious raspberry smacking you in the face. Taste is well balanced, not as sweet as the Lindemans offerings, which I find almost like candy. I enjoyed this lambic, much more so for the truer taste of the raspberry, not the overly sweet sugar tones of some of the others. A refreshing change of pace that I'd recommend highly..

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Reddish leather brown body that’s definitely a bit cloudy. Very rasberry aroma. Tart and sweet but so bubbly and balanced that it’s easy to drink. The raspberry in both the flavor and the aroma is so fresh that you can taste the seeds. You almost expect to feel the seeds between your molars.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

My brother had been holding this particular 12oz bottle since late April and we decided it had to go last night. Since he's scaled back his consumption, the majority went to my fluted champagne glass. Liefmans raspberry lambic hit the glass and showed off a dark maroon color, copious carbonation and a tall bubbly pink-tinged head that quickly collapsed, leaving spotty lace.
The nose had that enticing sweet/tart aroma of raspberries (I should hope so!) and a bit of yeasty malt. The raspberry notes really superceded all other aromas. The taste had the immediate tartness of not-quite-ripe raspberries. This morphed to a general fruity sweetness laced with a light malt note before a mild sourness took hold for a bit of a puckering finish. Missing was the barnyard funk of wild yeast associated with Cantillon and some other lambics. The feel was light, crisp and dry.
Overall, Liefmans Frambozenbier landed somewhere between the cloying syrupy-sweet of Lindemanns and the wildly jaw-cramping tartness of Cantillon. I must confess I do also miss the funkiness that the Cantillon lambics possess. This one simply doesn't have it. Nevertheless, this made for a real nice dessert beer when paired up with a chocolate chip cheesecake.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a reddish purple brown with a 1 1/2" head that is off-white with a brownish-reddish cast. Aroma is fruity (berries- what a surprise) and clean smelling. Some earthiness and slight port notes. Flavor is nicely balanced fruit, slightly sweet, slight lambic sourness (very slight). Overall: nice on a hot day drink. Not very complex or very substantial. Kind of a one-note brew that is nice, but does not reach out and grab me.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, as I look at info on this beer, its referred to as a “Lambic, Old Bruin, and a Flemish Sour”? Well I really don’t give a “Rats Patootie” what sub-style it is, the one thing I know is that it’s a damn good tasting brew and that’s the most important thing to me the fact that I “enjoy” it!

As the beer sheds its 750ml green corked bottle the color is a nebulous reddish-purple, the head is stupendous, creamy and a toothsome light tan in color, the lace clings mightily to the sniffer. The nose simply reeks of Raspberries, sweet and tart, crisp and a hint of yeast appears with the start ambrosial and the top is light to moderate in feel. Finish is prickly in its acidity, the flavor of the Raspberries carries to the very dry aftertaste, a real treat as I seem not to sample many Lambic’s, a sad fact of my continued search for the “Ultimate Beer Experience”.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

I'm not normally a fan of fruit beers, but I must say, I'm rather impressed by this one. First of all, this isn't a lambic, it's an oud bruin like the goudenband, just with rasperries. In my glass it's a dark brownish hue with a tinge of red and the appearance of being a bit cloudy. A big billowing head tops it off and leaves lots of lace. Good retention. This has a very powerful and pleasant aroma of fresh (real) raspberries and sweet malt. On the tongue, it's sweetish and mildly sour, a definite presence of raspberries, but it's not overpowering, it's balanced quite perfectly by the sweet bread malt. Finishes tart with a bit of bitterness, and leaves a tartness on the tongue. Probably the best fruit beer I've ever had.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

late 99 vintage with a lot of carbonation to throw. A lovely dark purple-ish colour with a pink-tinged head of white foam. The aromas are all sweet and sour raspberries, this is reminiscent of the New Glarus Raspberry tart. The taste is sweet and fruity up front with just a *bit* of traditional lambic funk and gueuze like tartness on the back of the throat. The finish is dry as hell and the mouthfeel is a bit thin, but nice. The drinkability is good, but who can have more than one in a sitting/session?

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured a deep red/brown color with tan head that went away quick. Nice looking beer.
Aroma was pleasent old rasberry mixed with beer. Also an earthy like smell I cant put my finger on.
Taste...OK...To be fair I tried it chilled, then warm. Chilled was all tart nothing else. My face puckered up for a good 5 minutes before I could take another sip. Rather than giving up, I let it sit out for a couple of hours. It got warm and was finally drinkable. Rasberry and beer, but still a big tart kick. I found warm was a pleasant hurt. I vowed never to get another one, but the taste was addicting.
Mouthfeel was good. Not overly carbonated, smooth.
Drinkability...a little too tart for my taste. However, on the otherhand it wasnt overly sweet or carbonated like some other lambics that just taste like soda.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1996 Vintage tasted January 2004.

Tawny and throws a good deal of sediment.

Nose and palette are rich with jammy raspberry. There's an underlying hint of earthiness, but nothing significant and certainly not along the lines of Cantillon. If this is a lambic, it is the cleanest lambic I've ever tasted and I don't know if that's a good thing.

The mouthfeel is absolutely perfect -- silky and round, the beer feels like beer. Liefmans Frambozenbier, despite the huge raspberry flavor, is still malty. The sourness is very subdued, like a well-aged pinot, yet complimentary and, indeed, charismatic.

The carbonation is minimal and the cork looks like a shrunken head. Age has done this beer well and there's no question of the vintage dating. You can taste the eight years -- mellow and mature. Though lambics can be bruising with dryness and so more appropriate with food or as a tasty aperitif, I would recommend Liefmans with some cheese, something with a little acid to fill the void in the beer, and grapes after a meal.

Relax, relax.
ng

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Great frothy light tan, slightly pinkish hued head that becomes fairly rocky. Murky copper in color with a pinkish tint. Very nice raspberry jam aroma that is also reminiscent of a raspberry tart. Lace is thick and frothy, slightly sticky, and lasts for ages. Nice light to medium body with a soft carbonation. The start is a touch malty, but not much – the raspberry presence takes over much of the palate. The sweetness, however, is never overbearing or cloying though. There’s a slight tartness that picks up towards the finish. The aftertaste is fairly short lived. I enjoyed this brew. Other raspberry beers or lambics that I’ve tried have seemed to be very sweet, completely hiding the fact that they are actually beers…not this one.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

hazy deep ruby red. Pink tinged light tan spotty head. Tattered wisps of lace remain. Ripe, sugary raspberry bolstered by notes of sweet butter and oak derived red apple. Mild citric tartness with hints of wet hay, but otherwise understated, clean and sweet overall aromawise. In flavor, overrripe berry sweetness is partially offset by notes of lactic, soured wheat and carbapple. Trace acetic notes lends sharpness, but is quickly overrun by residual sugar. Drys transiently mid palate, with hints of dry, musty hay eeking in, but sugar laden berry jiuce promptly resumes dominance. Passable dextrinous, with a mouthfeel akin to a concentrated raspberry syrup spritzer. Sublte, woody, slightly tannic oak notes emerge late and carry through the mellow, sweettart and tracely buttery finish. An enjoyable lambic intermediate in character between the cloyingly sweet Lindemans and the moderate Boons. Quite tasty, but still a touch too sweet and clean to be considered elite.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Cork dated 2002 with the numeral 16 below the 2002. Rich garnet brown color with a fluffy mauvy tan head. Huge sour raspberry nose like if SweeTarts made a rasperry flavored candy. Starts effervescent and acidicly sour and then the raspberry sweetness kicks in followed again with a lingering tartness that dries the throat. Blows other fruit beers out of the water with it's complexity on the palate. Lip smacking tartness with light fluffy mouthfeel. Lindemans Framboise isn't even remotely in the same area code as this beer in terms of complexity for a lambic. Quintessential dessert beer. I'm not really a big fan of fruit beers, but I do recommed this one. One is a good nightcap.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

2002 version. This beer poured out a cloudy ruby color. The head thinned out quick to a film on top of the beer. Sour raspberry fruit aroma. This is like a carbonated champagne raspberry beer! More on the sour side than sweet. Almost like drinking a sour patch kids elixir. Makes me pucker. Not bad, a dessert beer and very interesting. I'm glad I got to try it. Not as good as Lindemans' Framboise, but close.

Dark Red color. Small had. Aroma is raspberry, a touch vineous and yeasty. Tart and sour, A nice Flemish sour ale, balanced by an intense fresh raspberry flavor. Very sweet. Sort of gueze-like. Very drinkable, Lively carbonation. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is sweet.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

This seems like the perfect match between champagne, beer and raspberry juice. Good sour taste and very refreshing for those hot summer days. Leave a small head when pourred into glass that disapear too quickly. God save the Begian for being able to brew soem Lambic.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

This brew poured a light brown head of fine and medium sized bubbles that left a good lacing. It has a cloudy dark brown body and a strong raspberry aroma. It also has a strong raspberry taste and an acidic finish. Overal just averagely impressed. I was more i,pressed by the unique packaging. I think it has been the only brew I have drank that was wrapped in a paper package and had a wire tied cork on the bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Rose colored beer that when held to the light reveals constant carbonation for a long time after pouring. Head is very light pink, almost white-ish and it disappears quickly. The fairly large bubbles combined with the disappearing act make for a head that looks more like the foam off a freshly poured Coke than anything else. Aroma is of raspberry, raspberry, and with just a hint of raspberry. A quick sip passes only over the front of the tongue and reveals a strong raspberry flavor. A little more time yields an amazingly balanced beer with a fabulous acidic quality, definitely a little sour. This beer is like a gourmet SweetTart -- and damn, I love it.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz bottle with paper wrapper. Underneath is a green euro bottle. No freshness dating noticable.
Medium reddish brown color. Faint non-existant head. Lots of raspberry smell, full basket of them.
Taste is super sweet, syrupy and full of raspberries. Lots of bubbles you can feel, but lightly carbonated. A overall slightly flat weird feel. I had feared it was flat. Slick and odd feeling. Taste was fine, very sweet and sour. Lip puckering at times. Odd sour finish, I'm afraid I might have had this past it's prime. I would try it again, for a special occassion.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Ok: it's obvious, I really, really liked this.

Had this on tap in Montreal. For just over $6 CAN, I had a whole pint of this poured, just for me. Yes, I noticed the dark red color, and boy, it smelled nice, but I really just wanted to taste this.

I loved it! I thought I was a Kriek fan, but this was something: sweet/tart raspberry goodness that lasts from the first sip to the last. It fills your whole mouth with flavor.

What I like about these type of fruit beers is that you can drink several of them, you don't have to limit yourself. All that flavor can be yours for only 4.5% alcohol. I would make this a session beer in an instant. I looked at the bottle I brought back, and I noticed it lists sugar as an ingredient: no wonder it goes down so easy!

This is a top beer for me.

I also managed to purchase a beautiful Liefmann's glass to sip this beer in from now on.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a rasberry colour topped by an average head that settle sdown rather easily.The aroma of this beer was rasberry aroma. Flavour was sweet and fruity (as someone could guess). Good carbonation and mouthfeel. Fine Belgian Fruit Lambic

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Rose tinted tan liquid. Very cloudy. Aromas of raspberries and bread. The flavors are perfect. Together with subtle raspberry fruit and mellow grain flavors, there is a flavor of egg pastry. Like an eclair shell or Yorkshire pudding. This gives the bright fruit and earthy malt flavors a bridge. Viscous and fluffy. I could drink 10 of these.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

Foam settles quickly to a whispy film. Color is a nice reddish-brown. Incredibly complex nose - malt, mouth-watering sour notes, and a hint of raspberry. Palate is loooooooong due to the delightful acidity. The raspberry note is just a supporting player on the palate. Its Goudenband with a bit of extra complexity due to the raspberry addition.

This is my kind of fruit beer - the fruit adds something that is not in the plain (Goudenband), without dominating, and its NOT sweet! Bottled in '99, resting in my cellar since the spring of '01.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured really thick! I thought it would be one syrupy sip and 'Bye, Bye!'. Due to the unexpected thickness I mis-gauged the momentum of my pour, but it still came out 1 inch on top. Color was a little on the browish-side

Much less sweet than Lindemans Frambroise, and no "Pinky Tuscadero" foam either. Tart and drier too --more seed than fruit--but still a wonderfully refreshing sorbet flavor. Bottle says 4%, but I'm feeling more right now, and that's after a big Turkey and Swiss hoagie (This is a lunch review).

Noticeable stuff-of-the-cow-hoof undertone. I'm sure this wort heard a few moos before getting capped.

Frambozenbier from Brouwerij Liefmans