Frambozenbier - Brouwerij Liefmans

Brouwerij Liefmans visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 02-17-2002

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last

Dark Red color. Small had. Aroma is raspberry, a touch vineous and yeasty. Tart and sour, A nice Flemish sour ale, balanced by an intense fresh raspberry flavor. Very sweet. Sort of gueze-like. Very drinkable, Lively carbonation. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is sweet. (307 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +2.2%

This seems like the perfect match between champagne, beer and raspberry juice. Good sour taste and very refreshing for those hot summer days. Leave a small head when pourred into glass that disapear too quickly. God save the Begian for being able to brew soem Lambic. (267 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%

This brew poured a light brown head of fine and medium sized bubbles that left a good lacing. It has a cloudy dark brown body and a strong raspberry aroma. It also has a strong raspberry taste and an acidic finish. Overal just averagely impressed. I was more i,pressed by the unique packaging. I think it has been the only brew I have drank that was wrapped in a paper package and had a wire tied cork on the bottle. (416 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +17.8%

Rose colored beer that when held to the light reveals constant carbonation for a long time after pouring. Head is very light pink, almost white-ish and it disappears quickly. The fairly large bubbles combined with the disappearing act make for a head that looks more like the foam off a freshly poured Coke than anything else. Aroma is of raspberry, raspberry, and with just a hint of raspberry. A quick sip passes only over the front of the tongue and reveals a strong raspberry flavor. A little more time yields an amazingly balanced beer with a fabulous acidic quality, definitely a little sour. This beer is like a gourmet SweetTart -- and damn, I love it. (660 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -13.1%

12 oz bottle with paper wrapper. Underneath is a green euro bottle. No freshness dating noticable.
Medium reddish brown color. Faint non-existant head. Lots of raspberry smell, full basket of them.
Taste is super sweet, syrupy and full of raspberries. Lots of bubbles you can feel, but lightly carbonated. A overall slightly flat weird feel. I had feared it was flat. Slick and odd feeling. Taste was fine, very sweet and sour. Lip puckering at times. Odd sour finish, I'm afraid I might have had this past it's prime. I would try it again, for a special occassion. (569 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

Ok: it's obvious, I really, really liked this.

Had this on tap in Montreal. For just over $6 CAN, I had a whole pint of this poured, just for me. Yes, I noticed the dark red color, and boy, it smelled nice, but I really just wanted to taste this.

I loved it! I thought I was a Kriek fan, but this was something: sweet/tart raspberry goodness that lasts from the first sip to the last. It fills your whole mouth with flavor.

What I like about these type of fruit beers is that you can drink several of them, you don't have to limit yourself. All that flavor can be yours for only 4.5% alcohol. I would make this a session beer in an instant. I looked at the bottle I brought back, and I noticed it lists sugar as an ingredient: no wonder it goes down so easy!

This is a top beer for me.

I also managed to purchase a beautiful Liefmann's glass to sip this beer in from now on. (889 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a rasberry colour topped by an average head that settle sdown rather easily.The aroma of this beer was rasberry aroma. Flavour was sweet and fruity (as someone could guess). Good carbonation and mouthfeel. Fine Belgian Fruit Lambic (237 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

Rose tinted tan liquid. Very cloudy. Aromas of raspberries and bread. The flavors are perfect. Together with subtle raspberry fruit and mellow grain flavors, there is a flavor of egg pastry. Like an eclair shell or Yorkshire pudding. This gives the bright fruit and earthy malt flavors a bridge. Viscous and fluffy. I could drink 10 of these. (342 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +12.1%

Foam settles quickly to a whispy film. Color is a nice reddish-brown. Incredibly complex nose - malt, mouth-watering sour notes, and a hint of raspberry. Palate is loooooooong due to the delightful acidity. The raspberry note is just a supporting player on the palate. Its Goudenband with a bit of extra complexity due to the raspberry addition.

This is my kind of fruit beer - the fruit adds something that is not in the plain (Goudenband), without dominating, and its NOT sweet! Bottled in '99, resting in my cellar since the spring of '01. (551 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured really thick! I thought it would be one syrupy sip and 'Bye, Bye!'. Due to the unexpected thickness I mis-gauged the momentum of my pour, but it still came out 1 inch on top. Color was a little on the browish-side

Much less sweet than Lindemans Frambroise, and no "Pinky Tuscadero" foam either. Tart and drier too --more seed than fruit--but still a wonderfully refreshing sorbet flavor. Bottle says 4%, but I'm feeling more right now, and that's after a big Turkey and Swiss hoagie (This is a lunch review).

Noticeable stuff-of-the-cow-hoof undertone. I'm sure this wort heard a few moos before getting capped. (629 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -3%

Bubbly, raspberry colored and hazy. Attractive looking beer actually. The bottle I had listed the abv at 4.5%. Best before date of 2012! Big raspberry aroma, as one might guess. Tart, sweet, fruity with faint yeast and oak flavor. Full but crisp, effervescent mouthfeel. A nice dessert beer in itself, but would probably pair well with chocolate or cheesecake. (360 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%

(Bottled in 2001, according to the cork)

Reddish body with an off-white head, which dissolves to thin lace and soon disappears altogether. Light, continual carbonation throughout the 'life' of this beer. The aroma is dominated by raspberry. Raspberry also very strong in the flavor, which has a nice sweet 'n' sour tartness (without being too tart). The beer was fairly dry. Smooth drinking, much easier than other lambics I've tried (either that, or I'm really beginning to like lambics!) I have to agree with rastaman, this beer would be great on a warm summer day, but at $5 for a 12oz bottle it won't happen too often. (631 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

A very nice fruit beer, i'd love to drink this on a warms summers day, it was very refreshing, relatively sour, a bit sweet, but had a nice dryness at the same time. (165 characters)

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last