Cuvee-Brut - Brouwerij Liefmans

Cuvee-BrutCuvee-Brut

Brouwerij Liefmans visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Goudenband & Oud Bruin blended with cherries. Not a lambic.

(Beer added by: IronDjinn on 02-15-2010)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.75

Today is Valentine's Day! Sheryl said, "Let's do a Valentine beer." I was wanting something hoppy, but she wanted to do a "red" beer! So we grabbed a bottle of Liefmans Cuvée Brut. I stare at this beer all the time at Total Wine & More, but am exited to upward it. After reading about this beer, I can't wait! I don't normally like the flavor of cherries, but they mention tart and sweet. Sounds like me! The cherries sit for 12 months? That is awesome!

She's right, this beer looks like a holiday beer! Low ABV, but I am sure the sweetness will be enough to share a bottle. Ready to start drinking and get this holiday started. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: Well I could smell the cherries as I was pouring this out. Sheryl made a good point… I don't usually like cherries. The older I get, the more I appreciate the flavor… but this is different. These cherries have been sitting for 12 months. That is absurd. I am sure they have mellowed out, and the beer (an oud bruin) produces a more enjoyable sour experience. The beer appears thick and creamy in the glass, and has a nice thin white head. No lace. Of course, my glass is so full I could barely carry it into the office. But the beer looks enjoyable in the glass.

Nose: I expected the aroma to be a little more sour, but it has a nice malty backbone to it. There are times I will grab a bottle of scotch and think, "This beverage has been in a barrel for 3, 8, 12, 28 years." 12 months isn't that long, but to think the amount of attention and dedication that went into this beer helps me appreciate it even more. A second whiff leaves more sour aromas. I do like a good sour, so let's taste this beer.

Flavor: WHOA! That is incredible. It is VERY complex, too. Sour, no doubt… but very tart. Imagine taking a sour piece of candy, biting down, and the flavor that explodes across your palate. That is what you get here. I mean, the flavor is incredible, but if you don't like sour beers, stay away. The sour doesn't last long, but it is there from the time the beer hits your tongue until you swallow.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is fun. It starts sour, then bubbles kick in, and then you swallow with more sour flavors and a nice polished finish. (The burb is quite nice. It brings some of the sour flavor back, but not overwhelmingly so.) Now that I have room to swirl the beer, I am seeing little lace, and a lot of tiny bubbles rushing to the surface.

Also, I will mention that as I drink this, the sour (tartness) becomes less and less intense. That's not a bad thing as you drink through the bottle, you get several conflicting and complex flavors. Makes a bottle this big (750ml) more enjoyable if you are not sharing. But sharing is what craft beer is all about!

Aftertaste: Those same sour flavors are hanging on, but not as much as you would expect from what your palate just went through. With every the sour becomes less and less evident, but the flavor from the cherries really comes through. It's a dark cherry flavor, not like biting a fresh one off the stem. That is the flavor I don't like. Cherry typically tastes like medicine to me. Not in this beer.

I have been looking at this beer every time I walk down the beer aisle at Total Wine. Glad that I picked one up. There is a blue one (I assume blueberry) next to it. That is also on our "list". We will get to that soon, I am sure. VERY happy with this bottle, and glad that we could drink this to celebrate Valentine's Day. Hope everyone had a good beer to share, regardless if you are drinking alone!

02-14-2013 21:47:12 | More by rickyleepotts

Brazil

06-14-2014 14:02:30 | More by Tarso
JessaKay

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

Visual: Color consists of a cloudy red color. Almost looks like a creamy red. Clarity is foggy, you cannot see through the beer. Head is a light pink in color and sticks around for a long time.

Aroma:Incredibly strong aroma of fruits with cherries dominating the smell. Other smells consist of citrus, with sour and sweet notes.

Taste:The first taste is sour and a bit dry, the citrus presents itself and then fades in the sour/sweet taste with a hint of oak. This beer is like a sour patch kid, first it is sour and then it is sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium body but not too thick with still plenty of flavor

Overall: I fell in love with this beer at a local pub called Pale Nine Ale House in San Diego. This was the beer that developed my love for sour beers. I find this beer to be a refreshing change from most other beers. It is the perfect combination of sour tastes and fruity tastes for me.

06-12-2014 19:10:47 | More by JessaKay

06-07-2014 23:09:06 | More by jayluf
BGDrock

Ontario (Canada)

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: rich, deep red, the colour of raspberry jam, with a faintly pink head like Himalayan sea salt, fine and fll

Aroma: vibrant berry aroma - cherry but also raspberry and currant; hints of the the tart flavour to come

Taste & Mouthfeel: the taste of cherry candy (like a life savour...better) is an immediate delight, sweet and vibrant and tart all at the same time, exciting the tastebuds to no end; cherry pie filling comes to mind - this is a great match for dessert, perfect for a rich chocolate fudge cake; fine carbonation with above average effervescence and perfect for the style, putting a buffer on the sweetness while at the same time opening up the palate to fully appreciate the fruity flavour - blackberry and currant could also be accounted; last thought - a good black cherry soda

Overall: a pure pleasure to drink, actually gets you excited, and remarkably it doesn't tire with all the sugar, a credit to the excellent carbonation; get your hands on this

06-01-2014 23:22:11 | More by BGDrock