Cuvee-Brut - Brouwerij Liefmans

Cuvee-BrutCuvee-Brut

Brouwerij Liefmans visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: IronDjinn on 02-15-2010

Goudenband & Oud Bruin blended with cherries. Not a lambic.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 604 | Reviews: 178
3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.75

Today is Valentine's Day! Sheryl said, "Let's do a Valentine beer." I was wanting something hoppy, but she wanted to do a "red" beer! So we grabbed a bottle of Liefmans Cuvée Brut. I stare at this beer all the time at Total Wine & More, but am exited to upward it. After reading about this beer, I can't wait! I don't normally like the flavor of cherries, but they mention tart and sweet. Sounds like me! The cherries sit for 12 months? That is awesome!

She's right, this beer looks like a holiday beer! Low ABV, but I am sure the sweetness will be enough to share a bottle. Ready to start drinking and get this holiday started. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: Well I could smell the cherries as I was pouring this out. Sheryl made a good point… I don't usually like cherries. The older I get, the more I appreciate the flavor… but this is different. These cherries have been sitting for 12 months. That is absurd. I am sure they have mellowed out, and the beer (an oud bruin) produces a more enjoyable sour experience. The beer appears thick and creamy in the glass, and has a nice thin white head. No lace. Of course, my glass is so full I could barely carry it into the office. But the beer looks enjoyable in the glass.

Nose: I expected the aroma to be a little more sour, but it has a nice malty backbone to it. There are times I will grab a bottle of scotch and think, "This beverage has been in a barrel for 3, 8, 12, 28 years." 12 months isn't that long, but to think the amount of attention and dedication that went into this beer helps me appreciate it even more. A second whiff leaves more sour aromas. I do like a good sour, so let's taste this beer.

Flavor: WHOA! That is incredible. It is VERY complex, too. Sour, no doubt… but very tart. Imagine taking a sour piece of candy, biting down, and the flavor that explodes across your palate. That is what you get here. I mean, the flavor is incredible, but if you don't like sour beers, stay away. The sour doesn't last long, but it is there from the time the beer hits your tongue until you swallow.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is fun. It starts sour, then bubbles kick in, and then you swallow with more sour flavors and a nice polished finish. (The burb is quite nice. It brings some of the sour flavor back, but not overwhelmingly so.) Now that I have room to swirl the beer, I am seeing little lace, and a lot of tiny bubbles rushing to the surface.

Also, I will mention that as I drink this, the sour (tartness) becomes less and less intense. That's not a bad thing as you drink through the bottle, you get several conflicting and complex flavors. Makes a bottle this big (750ml) more enjoyable if you are not sharing. But sharing is what craft beer is all about!

Aftertaste: Those same sour flavors are hanging on, but not as much as you would expect from what your palate just went through. With every the sour becomes less and less evident, but the flavor from the cherries really comes through. It's a dark cherry flavor, not like biting a fresh one off the stem. That is the flavor I don't like. Cherry typically tastes like medicine to me. Not in this beer.

I have been looking at this beer every time I walk down the beer aisle at Total Wine. Glad that I picked one up. There is a blue one (I assume blueberry) next to it. That is also on our "list". We will get to that soon, I am sure. VERY happy with this bottle, and glad that we could drink this to celebrate Valentine's Day. Hope everyone had a good beer to share, regardless if you are drinking alone!

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Just as nice this beer looks on the shelf with its flashy wrapping, it is a bit disappoiting from an aesthetic point of view once poured into the glass with its thin dirty brownish foam, though a thin layer is persistently found on the top and the lacing is great. Body also looks a bit dirty due to the brownish tone on the red. Body is clear and bubbles are plenty and fine.

Aroma is rich sour cherry juice, which I like, with a nice hint of tartness to remind you this is still a sour beer.

Taste follows nose entirely. Again juice from sour cherries, maybe morello, with some sugar balanced by sour and finally nicely restrained refreshing tartness that hits you as it leaves the mouth. Alcohol is barely detectable.

It has a medium body that is a bit sirupy in the beginning as it warms up, but who cares when you have this smooth effervecence on your tongue from middle to finish were it mingles perfectly with the tartness.

This maybe my favourite sour beer. The purist in me is not too happy that they are using sugar and I guess they could at least reduce the amount a bit. But it is balanced and very drinkable. The combination of the smooth carbonation and the tartness is just devine. I love sour cherries and I love to drink this beer on a summer day.

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearence: Pours scarlet red from the bottle with nice foam.

Smell: Great smells of berries, very appealing.

Taste: Great berries flavours, starts sweet but ends sour. Mildly carboneted.

Mouthfeel: A medium body.

Overall: Great lambic beer. I loved it.

3.89/5  rDev -5.1%

As you might expect from the brightly wrapped 750 mL bottle, this beer has a strong cherry flavor. The cherry is bittersweet and feels thin and sharp in your mouth at first. The appearance is a transparent red, with a thin head. The sweetness can be a bit over-powering at first but did mellow some after a few sips.

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought a bottle of Brouwerij Liefmans Cuvée Brut at Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont, MA on the recommendation of Kate, one of the store owners. Served in a pint glass (there was no other glass around! Argh!).

Appearance (4.5/5): Cuvée Brut is a stunning scarlet red, translucent, and is topped by one finger of beige foam. Good head retention. The head reduces in that typically Belgian fashion to a thumbnail-thin layer of creamy beige foam. This is a very cool looking beer.

Smell (4/5): Aroma is of black cherry, semi-sweet berries, faint lactic sourness, vinegar, woody, oaky. Not a very strong aroma overall–pretty mild actually–but nonetheless pleasant and promising.

Taste (4.25/5): Cuvée Brut exudes cherry flavors, but (thankfully) feature none of that candy-like maraschino cherry flavor I despise. Instead, I taste deep, semi-tart, semi-sweet black cherry. The beer also has winey characteristics similar to Flanders Red and Oud Bruin ales; I can also detect some woodiness here that those styles also showcase. Very nice. Refined.

Mouthfeel (4.25/5): Mellow, soft, medium carbonation and a medium-light body give this beer an easy-drinking texture. It features a nice bit of effervescence and the lactic sour notes cause a light puckering sensation to set in during the finish.

Overall (4.25/5): Brouwerij Liefmans Cuvée Brut was an unexpected treat–usually I'm wary of fruit beers, but this one was quite good. I especially like how the cherry aspects of the beer are not so dominant that the beer's woody/oaky and sour characteristics are not overshadowed. Excellent taste, mouthfeel, and beautiful looking in a glass. A good fruit beer for people who are unsure of them.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cuvee-Brut from Brouwerij Liefmans