Cuvee-Brut - Brouwerij Liefmans

Cuvee-BrutCuvee-Brut

Brouwerij Liefmans visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Goudenband & Oud Bruin blended with cherries. Not a lambic.

(Beer added by: IronDjinn on 02-15-2010)

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

So, I typically will enjoy this type of beer in a flute, tulip or some other glass like that. This is technically called a Fruit beer and they suggest a pint glass. I figured, what the heck, let's try it.

I am shocked at the strawberry shake type creamy head that I get when pouring this into this type of glass. The head is a pink, almost purple color with awesome structure and retention. The beer itself is a dark purple color that's fairly bold in color. Clinging lacing hangs everywhere.

Aroma is nice. Certainly cherry with a slight earthy depth. I wouldn't call it barnyard or funk, but something is up. Perhaps a touch musty, but not in a negative way. I picture dark ripe cherries, vs, their lighter less sweet brothers.

I had the Liefman's Goudenband and loved it. This is no different, what a wonderful beer. Light perfectly sweet cherry flavor with a hint of depth and roasted nuts. A touch bready as well. What I love here is the cherry flavor is that of the real fruit and not the artificial (although great) artificial cherry we've all become accustomed to tasting. I guess I have to type the word tart at some point, but it's so balanced with the sweetness it doesn't jump out at you.

Light spritzy body and carbonation. Springs to life on your tongue and quenches the thirst. Really refreshing. Gotta serve this at a brunch.

What a wonderful beer to drink. I popped this to enjoy the extra light as we celebrate daylight savings and the end of this terrible winter. Perfect call.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Deep red, med-big pale pink-tan head steadily shrinks to foamy ring, a little weak lace.

Aroma is metal, sweet-sour fruit, cherry, wood, yeast.

Taste is sweet-tart cherry, fruit, wood, hints of yeast and mineral, very juicy light sourness. Overall, it has a wonderful, engaging character, some nice complexity of elements underneath the dominant cherry character, and it’s lively and extremely drinkable.

4.49/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: rich, deep red, the colour of raspberry jam, with a faintly pink head like Himalayan sea salt, fine and fll

Aroma: vibrant berry aroma - cherry but also raspberry and currant; hints of the the tart flavour to come

Taste & Mouthfeel: the taste of cherry candy (like a life savour...better) is an immediate delight, sweet and vibrant and tart all at the same time, exciting the tastebuds to no end; cherry pie filling comes to mind - this is a great match for dessert, perfect for a rich chocolate fudge cake; fine carbonation with above average effervescence and perfect for the style, putting a buffer on the sweetness while at the same time opening up the palate to fully appreciate the fruity flavour - blackberry and currant could also be accounted; last thought - a good black cherry soda

Overall: a pure pleasure to drink, actually gets you excited, and remarkably it doesn't tire with all the sugar, a credit to the excellent carbonation; get your hands on this

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Liefmans Cuvee-Brut is a solid Kriek. It is not as sweet as other Krieks, so those that don't enjoy Krieks too sweet, try this one. It doesn't pour much head, but the taste is not flat. If you are thinking about trying a Kriek and hesitant on the fruit beers, this is a good one to try first.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Pours a dark burgundy color with hints of garnet. Thin-head forms, leaving a dash of lacing on the inside of the glass.

Tart, sweet cherry greets the nose first, followed by the slightest hint of sour funk.

Sweet, slightly tart cherries dance around on my taste buds followed by just the right amount of funk. Has a sherry-like quality to it.

Carbonation is dialed up a bit but it doesn't do much harm. Just a hint of lingering cherry and funk.

Very good for what it is. Think of Lindemann's Kriek, but not as cloying.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured into a wine glass.

Appearance-Deep ruby red with good clarity. Solid pale pink cap of foam floats on top and shows good retention and nice lacing.

Aroma-Sweet, tart black cherries with an underlying earthy aroma to it. Cherry pie. Extremely “real” cherry aroma, doesn’t smell artificial like some krieks that I’ve had. Blackberries and raspberries are also notable.

Flavor- Sweet Cherries up front with blackberries not far behind. Ripe stone fruits, almost a bit like pluots. Tart cherry in the midpalate and a bit earthy in the finish. The aftertaste still has boasts sour cherry flavors but is quite dry, and even a little bit funky. Cherry flavors are complex and quite tasty.

Mouthfeel-Medium body with soft, moderate carbonation. Smooth and refreshing

Delicious cherry flavor is multi-layered and quite complex. Tart, refreshing, and all around awesome. This is what krieks should aspire to.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

Champgane style bottle poured into red wine plastic glasses. Pours a dark crimson with white foam. Cloudy. Cherry smell, some malt. Cherry taste too, with a light sour. Very pleasant carbonation. Very flavorful, but balanced. Good mix of fruit and sours.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Blood orange red tinged brown. Medium, thick, small bubbledl white head with pinkish hue. Some sparce cling.

S - Barn funk and tart cherries.

T - Fantastic blend of tart cherries and cooked cherry pie.

M - Good carb, tasty blend, nice clean finish.

D - Very easy to drink and a fun beer.

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Just as nice this beer looks on the shelf with its flashy wrapping, it is a bit disappoiting from an aesthetic point of view once poured into the glass with its thin dirty brownish foam, though a thin layer is persistently found on the top and the lacing is great. Body also looks a bit dirty due to the brownish tone on the red. Body is clear and bubbles are plenty and fine.

Aroma is rich sour cherry juice, which I like, with a nice hint of tartness to remind you this is still a sour beer.

Taste follows nose entirely. Again juice from sour cherries, maybe morello, with some sugar balanced by sour and finally nicely restrained refreshing tartness that hits you as it leaves the mouth. Alcohol is barely detectable.

It has a medium body that is a bit sirupy in the beginning as it warms up, but who cares when you have this smooth effervecence on your tongue from middle to finish were it mingles perfectly with the tartness.

This maybe my favourite sour beer. The purist in me is not too happy that they are using sugar and I guess they could at least reduce the amount a bit. But it is balanced and very drinkable. The combination of the smooth carbonation and the tartness is just devine. I love sour cherries and I love to drink this beer on a summer day.

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev +8%

Poured into my old Liefman's Goudenband chalice with a deep cherry tinted mahogany brown body. The head is a pink tinted light beige color with fine even speckled lacing. Tart cherries within a blend of oud bruin and Goudenband. Excellent blending here tart cherries with hints of wood aging, mild soft oak. Flavor is so balanced with tart cherries/with a brown aged ale going strong underneath. Big bold tart cherries, aged sour brown ale blends, bring out layers of complexity. Not a candy sweet cherry, real tart cherries oak aged notes with a mellow breadiness. Tart lactic acid hints of yogurt but not so sour that it turns your stomach. Effervescent carbonation the body is smooth, rolling layers of complexity. Awesome beer I will be getting more.

4.43/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a goblet, can't find a bottle date (12/2020 is on the top), bought it this year. This pours a slightly hazy reddish brown color with a small extremely short lived tan head. The smells are nice, you get the apple cider vinegar, sour cherries, tartness, a hint of funk. The feel is medium, with med carbonination. The taste is as expected, a load of tart cherries, vinegar. A beautiful sweet and sour, I really wish I could find this stuff closer to me.

4.43/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.75

Today is Valentine's Day! Sheryl said, "Let's do a Valentine beer." I was wanting something hoppy, but she wanted to do a "red" beer! So we grabbed a bottle of Liefmans Cuvée Brut. I stare at this beer all the time at Total Wine & More, but am exited to upward it. After reading about this beer, I can't wait! I don't normally like the flavor of cherries, but they mention tart and sweet. Sounds like me! The cherries sit for 12 months? That is awesome!

She's right, this beer looks like a holiday beer! Low ABV, but I am sure the sweetness will be enough to share a bottle. Ready to start drinking and get this holiday started. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: Well I could smell the cherries as I was pouring this out. Sheryl made a good point… I don't usually like cherries. The older I get, the more I appreciate the flavor… but this is different. These cherries have been sitting for 12 months. That is absurd. I am sure they have mellowed out, and the beer (an oud bruin) produces a more enjoyable sour experience. The beer appears thick and creamy in the glass, and has a nice thin white head. No lace. Of course, my glass is so full I could barely carry it into the office. But the beer looks enjoyable in the glass.

Nose: I expected the aroma to be a little more sour, but it has a nice malty backbone to it. There are times I will grab a bottle of scotch and think, "This beverage has been in a barrel for 3, 8, 12, 28 years." 12 months isn't that long, but to think the amount of attention and dedication that went into this beer helps me appreciate it even more. A second whiff leaves more sour aromas. I do like a good sour, so let's taste this beer.

Flavor: WHOA! That is incredible. It is VERY complex, too. Sour, no doubt… but very tart. Imagine taking a sour piece of candy, biting down, and the flavor that explodes across your palate. That is what you get here. I mean, the flavor is incredible, but if you don't like sour beers, stay away. The sour doesn't last long, but it is there from the time the beer hits your tongue until you swallow.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is fun. It starts sour, then bubbles kick in, and then you swallow with more sour flavors and a nice polished finish. (The burb is quite nice. It brings some of the sour flavor back, but not overwhelmingly so.) Now that I have room to swirl the beer, I am seeing little lace, and a lot of tiny bubbles rushing to the surface.

Also, I will mention that as I drink this, the sour (tartness) becomes less and less intense. That's not a bad thing as you drink through the bottle, you get several conflicting and complex flavors. Makes a bottle this big (750ml) more enjoyable if you are not sharing. But sharing is what craft beer is all about!

Aftertaste: Those same sour flavors are hanging on, but not as much as you would expect from what your palate just went through. With every the sour becomes less and less evident, but the flavor from the cherries really comes through. It's a dark cherry flavor, not like biting a fresh one off the stem. That is the flavor I don't like. Cherry typically tastes like medicine to me. Not in this beer.

I have been looking at this beer every time I walk down the beer aisle at Total Wine. Glad that I picked one up. There is a blue one (I assume blueberry) next to it. That is also on our "list". We will get to that soon, I am sure. VERY happy with this bottle, and glad that we could drink this to celebrate Valentine's Day. Hope everyone had a good beer to share, regardless if you are drinking alone!

4.41/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark amber-ruby color. Dense haze blocks most light. Sweet cherry aroma. Fresh cherries hit the tongue right away. Mostly sweet and only mildly tart. Almost no hop character. Just the slightest hints of wood in the finish. Extremely well balanced. Medium bodied and somewhat sticky from the sugars. Sharp, snappy carbonation adds a dryness to the finish to contrast the fruit. I am not a huge fan of fruit beers but everything is so well put together in this one that I just can't put my glass down. This would be a great beer with just about any dessert, especially those made with chocolate or berries.

Cuvee-Brut from Brouwerij Liefmans