Liefmans Fruitesse (Fruitbier) - Brouwerij Liefmans

Liefmans Fruitesse (Fruitbier)Liefmans Fruitesse (Fruitbier)

Brouwerij Liefmans visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: Nickls on 02-24-2010

4.63/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Not every beer should be full on hops and heavy as an anvil. If you're like me and dance around the edge of the brew mainstream, you like fruity and light beers.. then you may delight in this one. Recommended to be served with 2/3 glass of icecubes, pours beautifully and has a very cherry-sweet taste. under-rated here, in my opinion. [similar to lindemans lambic, duchesse de bourgogne].

4.41/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Holy fruit! This beer is overwhelmingly fruity. Poured into a glass it looks like cranberry juice with just a little sparkle. It smells exactly like the raspberries it was made with and overall does not taste like it has any alcohol in it, period. (Could be dangerous). It tastes like sparkling raspberry juice and is extremely easy to drink. I enjoyed it but I do not think I could drink it in large doses.

4.37/5  rDev +32%

This beer needs some lovin'!

This is definitely a very sweet, very light beer. But the fruit flavours are robust, natural, and fruit concentration is obviously very high.

Looks good.

On the nose is fleshy strawberries and cherries with an obvious syrupy sweetness.

The taste has a crispness to it, but the sweetness rides through. Again, strawberries, raspberries and cherries are present in very natural, but highly concentrated forms.

Mouthfeel is nice, carbonation is great for this style of beer.

I love drinking this beer. It's sweet, and the small serving size keeps you from being overwhelmed by the sweetness. Much better, and less expensive than Fruili. Not sure why everyone is hating on this special little Belgian cherry bomb from a great brewery.

4.35/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I see this beer is not well liked on BA. Well, I loved it. Had it on tap and it was cold and refreshing. Not sour. Looks great and tastes like raspberry candy in a glass. A real treat.

4.32/5  rDev +30.5%

This beer brightens up the room with it's aroma. Immediately after popping the cork the surrounding air filled with strawberries, raspberries, and cherries (like the label shows). Truly smells like a fruit bowl.

Fruitesse pours out as a slightly opaque rose-esque looking beer with a nice crisp slightly-pink (possibly from the color of the beer) head. Thin lacing is a disappointment, but overall not bad.

Oh how wonderfully tart! This tastes like a combination of every kind of Jolly Rancher combined.. I get strawberry, raspberry, cherry, lime, and even papaya! The beer has a sweet balance to it, and I can't really taste any form of hops, as I'm sure they were only used for slight bittering.

This has a medium body and moderately low carbonation. It drinks super smoothly and easily too. Overall I really enjoyed this killer beer.

4.29/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

super fruity low alcohol beers are not usually my jam, but this thing is just sensational. on tap at brewery ommegang, it pours intensely red, blood color or brighter, with a huge red stained head. they were serving this over ice, but I opted for not. the nose is more cherry than ive ever seen, so fresh, so fruity, so bright, not like syrup or extract, fresh cherries, really genius stuff. the taste is just like the nose. this is the most fruit flavor ever packed into a beer, and the most flavorful low alcohol beer ive ever had. I don't need a lot of it, but to taste the cherries like this is just sensational. I blended some into a glass of the ommegang summer beer, and into some Hennepin saison with very favorable results, and I think this beer works good in those contexts. on its own, its a cherry bomb, a force to be reckoned with. carbonated like champagne, there is a lot of joy this this glass. I defy someone to show me a higher quality and more intense fruit beer than this one.

edit: was fortunate enough to try a japanese edition of this, and notices a lot more dark fruits, blackberry or blueberry, than i did previously. not sure if a different recipe is used or what, but it was equally sweet, intense, and enjoyable.

4.15/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I recently had the Fruitesse by Liefmans. This beer had a red appearance with some floating particles in it. The aroma was pleasant and fruity. This was a very light beer in accordance to mouthfeel. The taste was very sweet like candy. It had an almost black cherry flavor and was very enjoyable. This would be a great summer drink.

4.14/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Liefmans Fruitesse, a belgian ale aged on cherries, flavored with cherry, raspberry, bilberry, elderberry, strawberry, sugar, and sweetener. 4.2% ABV. A good solid pop!

A: Almost a finger of light pink head. Orangish-red with, what looks to be, fruit bits floating throughout. Some lacing and some slight tearing, but no real legs forming.

S: Instantly, there is a tart berry smell coming from the bottle. A good amount of berry aroma. Tarter and lighter than raspberry

T/MF: Good, drier mixed berry flavor, more leaning on the strawberry, bilberry, and cherry. Nice tartness. Nice, light sweetness.

Not bad at all. I expect it would go well with a rich and creamy dessert, like cheese cake.

Poured from a 750mL bottle, into a Petrus chalice.

4.08/5  rDev +23.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Top of the cage says 12 2012 which could either mean best by December 2012 or that it was just bottled in 2012.

A- Pours a strawberry red color with a 1/4 inch pinkish white head that retains decently before settling at a thick ring around the edge of the glass and fluffy surface foam. Full webs of lacing. After the full bottle is poured, there are visible fruit flakes.

S- Smells like straight-up raspberry seltzer.

T- Big rush of sugary fruit that doesn't let up. Slightly tart, but mostly sweet. Alcohol is near nonexistent, which brings about the classic question of "am i drinking beer or soda?" Notes of strawberry, raspberry, cherry and cranberry. Trace amounts of astringency.

M- Medium-high carbonation and a light body. Has a sticky, syrupy feel.

O- As a lambic fan, this is good, but I've had better.

4.02/5  rDev +21.5%

A 2010 bottle.

A: Pours a slightly hazy cherry red color. A one finger light pink head forms, but recedes to a ring in a second. A small cap sticks around with some light lace.
S: Fresh strawberries and cherries right up front. A light tartness that is sweet. Finishes with a musky funky.
T: Follows the nose big fruity flavors of real strawberries and cherries. Fairly sweet as well. Baked bread, toasted malts, and finishes with a musky yeast flavor. I like it.
M/D: A medium body with crisp carbonation. Very effervescent, clean, and refreshing. Easy to drink. The sweetness is not over barring. The bottle is gone in no time.

I really enjoy this. A very nice fruit beer, with real fruit. There is the right amount of balance between the fruit and sweetness to make this work. Something many other beers of this kind fail to do. Not a style I typically reach for, but when I do this is on top of the list. Something I would recommend.

4.01/5  rDev +21.1%

Red amber color with a thin pink head with low retention.
Nice and clear aroma of sweet strawberries, cherries and raspberries. Amazing how you can even individually capture those. Hints of acid and sour.
Delicious flavor with a pleasant sourness that counterbalances any fruit sweetness. Taste of the same fruits felt in the nose, first Strawberry hits you which mutates into cherries, and raspberries and blueberries appear randomly. Hints of cough syrup, likely the sweetener.
Light body with a good carbonation with very small bubbles and an effervescent sensation.
Very balanced beer for the style, not overly sweet with a nice sourness. Far from my favorite style, but I did like this one. The only defect is the sweetener addition, which barely affects the taste. I found this much better than Floris from Huyghe, which carries too much sweet juice (twice as much).

I picked up a bottle of Liefmans Fruitesse a few weeks ago for $9.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been going out of my way to try more beers from this brewery and since this bottle was the last one that the store had I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. 2010 Vintage. Poured from a green 750ml bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a clean look to and it has all the fruits that are in this beer on it, I think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a murky brown red color that took more of a ruby and crimson hue when held to the light with almost two fingers worth of fluffy light pink head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, but I thought the color was a little murky.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with a huge fruity aroma being the first to show up and when combined with the sweetness it makes for an aroma that is nearly identical to fruit punch, it was a nice mixture of fruity berry aromas with no single fruit sticking out the most. Up next comes a little bit of Belgian yeast with a slight funky yeast aroma to it and there was pretty much no malt aromas. This beer has a pretty good aroma, it's fully of fruity aromas, but it's a little on the sweet side.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with that same big fruity and fruity punch like aspect that I got in the aroma coming through and it has a nice juice like flavor to it. Up next comes just a little bit of tartness with the yeast showing up just a little more than it did in the aroma and there still isn't much of malt aspect. On the finish there some lingering sweetness with a fruit punch like aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer, but the sweetness was almost too much for me.

M- Very smooth, a little refreshing, slightly cloying, a little crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer has a good mouthfeel that works well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a good example of the style, it was just dominated by the fruits that went into it and it made for a great mixed berry flavor and aroma that lived up to what I was expecting from the label. This beer has good drinkability, it's smooth, a little refreshing, slightly cloying, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, but I wouldn't rule out drinking a full bottle. what I like the most about this beer was how the berries that were advertised all showed up nicely and worked well with this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the sweetness if was toned down a little with some more funky yeast showing up this would be almost the perfect fruit beer. I would recommend trying this beer if you really like fruit beers and I would for sure buy this one again. All in all I was happy with this beer and I was a little impressed with just how much berry flavor they managed to cram into this beer. It's not a favorite from this brewery, but it is one of the better Belgian fruit beers I've had. Good job guys, this was a tasty beer, keep it up.

Pours a deep red/brown with a small off-white head.
Smell is all sour cherries.
Very sweet cherry taste and that is it. Light as refreshing finish.
Overall a very good fruit beer. Picked this 25 oz bottle up at Ommegang. Not a beer I'd got to regularly but a really good change of pace.

I found this to be pretty enjoyable. This brew poured out as a nice deep translucent red color with a light pink head on top. The lacing was minimal along with the retention. The smell of this beer reminded me of other non-traditional lambics I've had in the passed. The smell was sweet and fruity, like a wine cool in most ways. There was just a touch of funk on the nose but it was mostly drowned out by all the sweet fruits. The taste of this beer was sweet but yet when I'm in the mood for it I find these to be quite good. Lots of fruits and sugars here in this one. Not much in the way of funk or tartness. Mouthfeel was light bodied and in my opinion drinkable. Overall it's not a bad brew, I think that it's good in small amounts.

3.98/5  rDev +20.2%

A - Pours cranberry red with a light pink head.

S - Cherry hard candy, tart raspberries.

T - Cherry and raspberry sweetness, mild tartness. Reminds me of a "smartee" candy.

M - Spritzy carbonation, medium bodied, finishes sharp.

Fruity and refreshing. Very focused. Good flavors without being cloying. I enjoyed this very much.

3.92/5  rDev +18.4%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Apparently I've started on some sort of Belgian fruit-beer kick. Right on, I guess... This stuff pours a clear fuchsia topped by a finger of short-lived off-pink foam. The nose comprises cherry, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry (both red and blue, I think), and vanilla. Everything comes across as decidedly sweet, almost artificially so, but not quite. Quite pleasant, if you ask me. The taste brings in more of the same, though things seem a touch more tart, more pithy, especially when the newcoming pomegranate makes itself known. Reminds me of certain red dessert wines I've had before. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, a pretty enjoyable brew, one that verges on too sweet without actually reaching that point somehow. Right on.

3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Liefmans Fruitesse
750 ml., corked & caged.
No apparent freshness date
$9.99 @ Wine Legend, Cherry Hill, NJ

It pours a clear, ruby colored body beneath a short-lived head of white that falls readily to a thin collar. Surprisingly, some nice thick splashes of lace are left behind.

In the aroma and in the flavor I get sweet cherries (think Maraschino), "Sweet Tart" candies, and a bit of chalkiness - that's it. It's sweet, but not overbearingly sweet as there is some tart dryness to it; and it somehow finishes with a low enough level of sweetness that it doesn't become cloying. The tartness rounds it out.

In the mouth it's medium bodied with a dextrinous edge and a bristling carbonation.

Overall, a very nice fruit beer that's a little bit more than one sided. It doesn't have the complexity of a geueze, but it's a nice introduction to the style.

3.83/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I can't help but appreciate this beer because it is the first beer my fiancee has ever been willing to have more than a sip of. Obviously, she is not a beer drinker, and I don't think that will ever truly change. But since she liked this one, I've been able to get her drinking some lambics. I still hold out hope that she'll find the awesomeness in beer one day. Thanks Liefmans.

3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from 8.5 oz. bottle into a chalice glass

Appearance –The beer pours a deep ruby red color with a one finger head of red tinted foam. The head has a good level of retention, fading to leave a good level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is big and fruity of red beery fruits with tons of raspberry and strawberry, but also contain good hints of cranberry and current. A little bit of a blueberry and some lighter plum are there as well giving it a very sweet fruity smell overall.

Taste – The taste begins a little less sweet then would have been anticipated from the nose, but still overall it was rather sweet. A big red berry fruit flavor of strawberry, raspberry and cranberry greet the tongue along with some blueberry flavors. These flavors create a base for the brew and last till the end. Along with the berry fruits comes some light doughy sweet malt and some cherry which end up leaving a very sweet, and how many people have aptly described it, Kool-Aid (but I must say adult/gourmet Kool-Aid) flavor, that I must say is not super overly sweet for the style, to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is quite light with a carbonation level that is rather average to slightly higher. Both the light body and higher carbonation are fantastic for the fruit flavors of the brew and create a very crisp and easy drinking brew overall.

Overall – Well I paid $5 for a 4 pack of 8.5 oz. bottles that had an expiration date of 10/14. I would say I won big time on that buy. While not the greatest fruit style brew out there, for $1.25 a bottle this was a fantastic buy overall and makes for a good fruit beer when looking for something light and fruity.

3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

Tasty, but this essentially a beer soda pop. Lots of fruit, sweet, but drinkable. Works well over ice, so suitable as a summer patio drink. Proper use of fruit without the horrible perfumey character of an ill-made fruit beer. Drink it for what it is and enjoy.

3.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear, dark, garnet color with a short-lived, pink head that dissipates to a faint film. No lacing left behind in this Belgian.
Smell is, of course, raspberries, sweet, slightly artificial or enhanced, with a hint of malt behind. Decent balance for the style.
Taste is raspberry, slight sourness with a sweeter finish, malt and a mere hint of yeast. Well balanced, exactly what I expected and wanted.
Somewhat astringent, a good thing in a dessert beer, imo, without getting to the point of pucker. Light-medium body, tingly effervescence on the tip of the tongue but light elsewhere. A light warming aspect develops after a few swallows/sips, way in the back of the throat, just to remind you there's alcohol here. I like it.

3.71/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear, maroon. 3/4 inch head of a pink color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of strong cherry, strong strawberry, raspberry, slight tartness, and a hint of apple. Fits the style of a Fruit / Vegetable Beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is also a slight dryness. Tastes of cherry, strawberry, hint of raspberry, hint of apple, slight bacterial tartness, slight yeast, and slight sugary sweetness. Overall, all fruit all the way, complex blend though.

3.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a reddish-pink color with a white head. The aroma is very fruity and syrupy smelling. While it is very fruity smelling, no one fruit really stands out.

The flavor is heavy on the strawberries and cherries with some other fruits added. I have no idea what billberrys or elderberries taste like, so they may be what I am tasting.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.68/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The head of thick, pink, stiff.
Very cherry aroma, but you can also feel the strawberries, raspberries, red fruit yogurt (accent of milk).
Refreshing taste sensational, there are cherries, raspberries, strawberries, acidity like a red currant. Minimum sparkling and very gently sweet, milk is the accent that reminds me a bit of candy Alpenliebe. Very good, maybe not for the winter but it's ok.

3.68/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked this beer up at the Woodlands Spec's a week or so ago when it appeared. I like their Goudenband, so hope that this beer is as well put together.

Appearance: Pours a very nice clear deep pink color with a creamy light pink head. There is a large vortex of bubbles visible, but the bubbles aren't sticking all that long once they get to the top so there is quite a bit of action on top of the head for it being so thick. A little bit of pink lace is left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: I am getting big time fresh cherries. I am not sure if this is a cherry beer, but boy there sure is a lot of cherry to this beer. There may be some subtle malt in here, but the aromatics of the syrups are in charge. There is a bit more of the a Strawberry character coming out as the beer warms up some.

Taste: The taste is a little on the thin side, but the beer is only 4.2%, so it actually has quite a bit going on for being such a light beer. There is some noticeable malt in the flavor, but the syrups are still the predominant force. The mouthfeel is medium but the carbonation is quite high and the syrups are giving it a soda-pop quality to the tongue. The finish is all about the sweetness.

Opinion: This is like a fruit soda for adults. It is a nice blend and well presented. That said, I don't think that I will feel the nee to pick up another one after I drink this bottle because it is way too "foo foo" for my taste. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to someone that drinks daiquiris normally and was looking to venture out a bit to a similar beer. Otherwise, if you like Lindeman's normal fruity offerings, you will definitely like this.

Liefmans Fruitesse (Fruitbier) from Brouwerij Liefmans