2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Goudenband - Brouwerij Liefmans

GoudenbandGoudenband

Brouwerij Liefmans visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-24-2001)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Ratings: 996 | Reviews: 540 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Tonight we are drinking a sour. I LOVE sour beers. When I am walking up and down the beer aisle at Total Wine & More, I like to watch people looking at a sour to see his or her reaction. Unless you are expecting the flavors a beer like this offers, prepare to be amazed. The brewing process along is unique, and requires SO much attention. This specific bottle is from 2010, so it already has 3+ years on it. The beer is said to age to 10+ years, so I am sure some of the initial sweetness has worn off and we are getting to the bare bones of what makes this beer great. I like pretty much every beer from Belgium, so I hope this one delivers. It's a big bottle and comes in a paper wrapping. That's called the "pajamas". Aww… how cute! I just hope it taste good. Cheers, people!

In the Glass: I didn't expect this to be dark, but it has a nice deep dark brown color. Not much hear, and hardly any lace. I could smell some of the sour notes as I was pouring this. To be honest, as this beer has settled in the glass, it looks like a flat Coke. I am sure it smells and tastes better than Coke!

Nose: I am getting some sour notes, but not as much as I expected. I keep thinking about the brewing process for a beer like this. There is so much attention put on brewing a beer of this quality, and then to only charge $12.99 for it… that's a steal! It makes me appreciate the beer more and has me itching to drink it. So… without further ado, let's drink. Cheers! (Is that the way you spell adu? Or is it ado? Or adue? I have no idea!)

Flavor: That is sour… but a very complex beer. It's not sour until the finish. I am sitting here waiting for it to be sour, and some almost malty flavors attack the middle of my palate. Then, out of nowhere comes the palate wrecking sour flavors. Holy crap, that's intense. Now, having tried several sour beers over the years, I am sure this will become more balanced as I drink and as it heats up. But the first impression is a nice subtle sweetness leading to a ridiculous sour flavor. Bravo, Liefmans.

Mouthfeel: It's quite thin, and doesn't really impress me until the finish. It slides across the palate, and while it's cold, I feel that might help the flavor a little bit. I did swish a second sip around in my mouth, and the bubbles overwhelm. It does, however, really open up the beer. You get more subtle sweet flavors and while the bubbles take over, when they are gone the flavor is worth every second.

Aftertaste: It's sweet, but not as sweet as I expected. Perhaps the time this has been in the bottle. The experts said the sweet flavors should be expected with young bottles. I would LOVE to try this at 8-10 years. I am not sure I have that kind of time. Although, I have a few bottles in the cellar that I am holding for 15 and for 20 years.

This is good. It's really good. i have more than half a glass left, and I am going to let this site to warm up a bit. It will get better, and I am stoked to see what this tastes like in 10-15 minutes. I might not have 10 years, but I have 10 minutes. If you like a good Belgian example of a sour, then try this. Both offerings from Liefmans have been great. Good price for a beer that has that much TLC put in the bottle. Plus, I love the pajamas!

Liefmans Goudenband - The bottle says: "NA"

The bottle might not say much… but the wrapper (pajamas) say a lot. So… the wrapper says: "Liefmans Goudenband is one of the world's most complex beers. An aged Belgian Brown Ale, it is brewery-cellered for many months until it matures. Only then is it blended and bottled. Historically known as "Provision Beer", Goudenband is superb for further home cellaring, allowing taste, aroma and body of the beer to continue to evolve. A delectable treat for the beer connoisseur."

06-20-2013 04:17:22 | More by rickyleepotts

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

04-15-2014 01:35:43 | More by marmstrong1212
scottfrie

3.28/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into tulip. 2010 cork date.

A: Pours a deep mahogany with a finger of light tan head that fizzed away into a thin collar.
S: Deep and musty notes of buttery oak, thick caramel, brown sugar, leather, musty stone fruits, semi-sweet dark fruits, lightly tart berries, black cherry juice, and a hint of vanilla.
T: Malty flavors of base brown ale dominate, but greasy buttery oak barrel adds some balancing dryness and complexity to the flavors. Lightly tart hints of cherries, cherry pits, woody barrel, brown sugar, cocoa, and caramel are easily picked out, with leather and gritty tannins bringing up the finish. Tastes a bit muted and tired.
M: Very very low carbonation, almost flat, with a full greasy body, and drying finish. This beer is oily and heavy and definitely needs some more carbonation to lighten it up a bit.
O: Unfortunately not as good as I was expecting. Oak barrel comes through really well though, but I couldn't get past the greasy, heavy mouthfeel. Decent flavors, but not my favorite.

04-14-2014 00:07:55 | More by scottfrie

HollyHops

03-28-2014 20:32:04 | More by HollyHops
biegaman

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Liefmans Goudenband is sold in beautifully hand-wrapped indigo coloured paper; the content of the bottle, however, doesn't nearly match the aesthetics of its presentation. My glass looks as though it were filled with lake water. A murky brown tone, this ale has a fish eye yellow colour along its trim, next to no clarity, and a head that lasts only temporarily.

The aroma is an exceptionally unique blend of balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, root beer, cola, and red wine. It has enough sour and fermented elements to be unnerving to germaphobes and health inspectors alike, but has nowhere near the 'funky' qualities to excite those intimately familiar with the style (or those accustomed to American Wild Ales).

The taste combines sarsaparilla root and brown sugar with choke cherries and the pomace of spent red grapes. It has a Dr. Pepper kind of profile. There's hints of licorice and tree bark and always an overarching balsamic flavour (owed partly to the musty wood notes, partly to the dark, sugary sweetness). A caramelly tootsie-roll taste rounds it all out.

Goudenband is a pretty fair example of a Flemish Brown Ale that is, at least around these parts, reasonably priced for something of its quality and rareness. But here’s the icing on the cake: it is said to be good for another 18 years! That's right - basically two decades. Who knows if it will actually keep that long, but at least short-term cellaring has proven successful for me.

Liefmans Goudenband, like the other beers in their portfolio, is every bit as fetching as its packaging and no less distinctive; few offerings provide such an authentic taste of Belgian craftsmanship and tradition. Want to buy a ticket to heaven? Pair this considerably musty, acidic offering with strong cheeses and dried fruits and find yourself there.

03-27-2014 03:49:07 | More by biegaman
hardy008

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours reddish brown with ruby highlights, and a 1 finger tan head which fades quickly to a thin disc of foam, and leaves spotty lacing. The aroma has tart apples and cherries, caramel malt, and oak.

Tastes both sweet and tart with tart apples and cherries, caramel, raisins, figs, and oak. a very nice combination of flavors that blend together beautifully. I stored this for 2 years, and it turned out very nice. I would be interested to see how it would turn out with 5 or more years of aging.

Light to medium bodied with modest carbonation. Very smooth and easy to drink. Has a tart apple and cherry aftertaste. Definitely a beer I want to have again.

03-26-2014 23:06:19 | More by hardy008

jmkoscie

03-03-2014 00:00:29 | More by jmkoscie
Dope

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

No bottling date that I can find.

A: Pours a dark reddish-brown. Very tall, very frothy light brown head. Head settles down eventually with only a little dot or two of lacing here and there. Good retention.

S: Dark fruits and berries. Light acetone. Floral.

T: Mild lactic sourness with floral flavors. Fruity in general and throughout, but nothing I can specifically place other than apples. A brief hit of sourness in the finish. Somewhat dry aftertaste, like dried apple slices.

M: Medium bodied, smooth and dry.

O: Very interesting brew. Floral and fruity in general. Crisp and refreshing - exceptionally so. Tart and sour here and there but nothing super overpowering. Nicely varied, really.

02-27-2014 02:36:46 | More by Dope