1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Goudenband - Brouwerij Liefmans

GoudenbandGoudenband

Brouwerij Liefmans visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-24-2001)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Goudenband Alström Bros
Ratings: 995 | Reviews: 540 | Show All Ratings:
brewdlyhooked13

1.53/5  rDev -63.6%

Appearance - 12 ounce bottle corked and caged. Cork date is Nov, 2001. Slight pop on opening. Center poured into a Belgian glass with virtually no bubble action. And yet, after settling, there appears this curious current of carbonation in the middle, churning from below and bringing up quite a bit of sediment. Mostly brown in color with hints or red and very bespeckled with large flakes of yeast. It's fun to watch, kinda like a lava lamp.

Aroma - definitely a musty, earthy, sour, vinous, somewhat medicinal smell. Reminds me of horses and their general smell. Very different, not something I'm used to, and I can't say I'm overly thrilled. As an aside, the cork itself smells like honeysuckle and fragrant wildflowers with allspice. Very nice, if there was a 'cork aroma' category, I'd give it a 5.

Taste - very sharp and sour flavor. A dry, acidic red wine taste with extreme lemon juice tartness. Very unusual, but an improvement from the aroma. The greenest, tartest apples ever, or like taking those Warheads candies and just licking off that outer sour layer. The sourness and horsiness render useless any thought of detecting malt or hops. I don't think I've had as funky a beer as this except for Orval, I really didn't like it much either. Finishes dry and puckering. I can adjust to it somewhat but generally think (at this point) that this style isn't for me and isn't worth the effort.

Mouthfeel - very dry and bubbly like a good dry champagne. As much as I don't care for the taste, the puckering bubbliness is quite enjoyable.

Drinkability - I will try others of this style in the future, but for now this is at the bottom of my repeat list.

04-29-2004 15:03:48 | More by brewdlyhooked13
JDV

1.88/5  rDev -55.2%

Smells sweetish, metallic, and almost wine-like. Pours a chocolately brown with LOTS of suspended yeast/proteins all throughout and a short lived off white head. Incredibly unappealing look from the excessive yeast/protein particles hanging out like stationary gel capsules. Taste is smooth, overly sweet, a touch alcoholic, and some nice sourness. Honestly tastes like a mix of brown ale and a cheap reisling wine. The sourness is interesting but the sweetness level is not something I want in my beer, and although I’m sure tons of people appreciate this style, I found at least this one cloying and left the last half for the sink.

01-16-2008 21:31:50 | More by JDV
tobelerone

Connecticut

2.08/5  rDev -50.5%

As soon as I popped the cork on this one I suspected I had gotten a bad bottle and boy was I right. Almost no carbonation left whatsoever; poured a muddy, reddish brown color, no head or lace at all, tons of floating chunks, lots of residue at the bottle of the glass. Aroma of wine-like tannins, light sweetness, cork, vinegar.

Taste is dominated by vinegar, tart but lacking any fruity notes, hints of malt sweetness, drying, cabarnet-like finish, corked, slight puckering sourness.

This beer was stored improperly and ruined. Unfortunately I don’t pass the store I purchased this bottle in very often at all but I will let them know about it when I do. Very nice employees I suspect will do something to make up for it!

I’d like to re-review this beer again if I can get my hands of another, unspoiled bottle. This one was drainpoured with a 1/4 of the beer left...I tried!

12-05-2011 13:29:49 | More by tobelerone
Crosling

Colorado

2.13/5  rDev -49.3%

375 mL, with too many floaties. I love yeast at the bottom, but not so much that I can only decant half the beer. Muddy brown with a full Belgian foam. Aromatically mediocre. It’s very applely, with a blend of granny smith and red apples. Also hints of banana bread. Definately more sweet than sour, and a beer that’s rumored to have gone through numerous changes the past decade. Maybe this was once a classic, but that was before my time. Now it’s just a sweet, drinkable, approachable brown ale. It has a unique taste, but is just too sweet and one dimensional.

08-01-2007 06:43:01 | More by Crosling
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Pourred a nice deep brown brew with a dark head that stayed on for a while. Very acidic and sour taste with a hint of sugar. This is OK but not my favorite of the Liefmans. Still I noticed that this one has more head then the other Liefmans and lots of sediment at the bottom...

10-27-2003 14:59:19 | More by Phyl21ca
beerguy101

2.95/5  rDev -29.8%

Dark red brown color. Small head. Aroma is tart, sour cherries and musty. A medium bodied Flemish sour. Kind of flat tasting, not very carbonated. Tart and sour, but there is some nice underlying maltyness, but mostly it the sour cherry flavor. This may be an old/bad bottle, as most of the other reviews I’ve read mention the high variability of this beer. If this is an OK bottle that it kind of disappointing. Still very drinkable, but not what I was expecting. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is dry. Aftertaste is tart and a little vinous.

10-10-2003 02:49:42 | More by beerguy101
mondegreen

Georgia

2.95/5  rDev -29.8%

12.7 oz bottle into a Westmalle chalice. Cork reads "2006."

A murky brown pour yields no head whatsoever. Nothing. Nada. Well, maybe a razor thin ring around the outside. Tons of yeast in the bottle, I leave about an inch of beer so I don't end up with the yeast in my glass.

Nose is pretty nice. Sweet dark fruits dominate. Raisins & figs.

Has a light rum taste coupled with a moderate sweetness. Very very slight tart bite on the backend.

This beer is flat. No carbonation at all. Other reviews say it should be medium bodied. Well, mine isn't. The flatness is a sore thumb on what might otherwise be a good beer.

If the beer had a decent mouthfeel, I think it would be refreshing and more complex. As it stands, it isn't.

06-18-2010 22:17:23 | More by mondegreen
tjthresh

Indiana

2.98/5  rDev -29%

Muddy brown with chunks of yeast sediment. No head. The lactic or brett over powers almost everything. You can get som chocolate and dark fruit in the nose. Sweet and sour, like one of those Charms lollipops, but heavier on the sour. Quite full bodied, but the sour finishees puckering. I guess that’s the way its supposed to be.

08-26-2005 12:59:06 | More by tjthresh
Dubber55

Corked and caged. The cork says 2006. Printed on top of the cage: 11-2016

Pours a light caramel color brown with some red highlights. No head or lace. A few bubbles form a collar around the edges.

The aromas consist mostly of rum soaked raisins, caramel and a little vinegar. The aroma is also a bit vinous.

In my opinion, the taste is definitely more sweet than sour/tart. The initial flavor is rum soaked raisins. Reminds me a little of a sweet wine. Then I get a bit of vinegar, green apples, just barely a hint of cherries and oak. The finish is mostly rum soaked raisins and some alcohol.

This beer is flat. There is little to no carbonation. The mouthfeel is medium and a bit syrupy.

The drinkability is bad. The alcohol is noticeable and there is not enough tartness to balance out the sweetness.

06-13-2010 01:51:13 | More by Dubber55
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

Pours with no head, I was shocked and thought there was something wrong but that's how it is. No carbonation, murky amber color with a lot of chucky bits floating and settling. Thin body but an unusual taste sweet/sour cherries and raisins. Hard to really classify. Finish is sour. Good summer ale.

05-12-2003 15:30:50 | More by jdhilt
Prufrock

3.13/5  rDev -25.5%

on tap into a pint glass.

swampy, muddy brown with a touch of clarity around the edges. a touch of white head.

aroma is very sweet. overripe apples, a light sugariness, and a touch of root beer candy. a bit of sour, but overpowered by a cidery, plummy, spicy sweetness.

light, crisp, and refreshing, with the barest hints of carbonation. feels like an iced tea. sweet and candy-like, which wears out its welcome near the end. interesting, but not enough to want to try this one again.

05-30-2006 18:47:23 | More by Prufrock
sweemzander

3.13/5  rDev -25.5%

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 2010 Vintage.

(A)- Pours a deep dark plum/sienna color. Produced a nice cap of tan foam with good retention. Lots of lace left behind.

(S)- Not much in the aroma. Some bone dry wood(oak) bits. Very subtle vinegar/vinous fruits.

(T)- Better than the smell. Lots of dark fruits with a vinous acidic quality to them. Very subtle sourness and oak notes.

(M)- A crisp and bubbly carbonation level. Mildly tart and sour; very subtle flavors overall. Very fruity though.

(D)- Crisp and refreshing. Close to being like the style, but everything seems all meddled together almost cancelling each flavor out. I think this needs more time to funk and sour up a bit more. Easy enough to enjoy though.

06-23-2011 03:30:52 | More by sweemzander
BeerResearcher

3.15/5  rDev -25%

Old dark leather in color with a rapidly dissipating head and virtually no lace. A damp malty and spoiled vinegar cider aroma melds with an alcoholic fume. The medium malt body emits a fairly sour cider flavor. Lightly sweet with lemon and spicy hop bitterness. Whole bits of yeast are floating in suspended animation for your viewing pleasure. The sour and raspy vinegar mouthfeel is not at all pleasant. Maybe I got a bad bottle? And the fact I detest the taste of vinegar cider are the reasons that I feel this stuff is absolutely horrible! Although, I suppose I can't rate the taste as it is what it is.

06-16-2003 07:09:03 | More by BeerResearcher
koopa

3.15/5  rDev -25%

1992 Vintage caged and corked 375ml bottle received from a generous BA thanks!

Appearance: Pours a transparent garnet to russet brown with illuminated folds. Crown is fairly non-existent as is lacing.

Smell: Potting soil and oxidation.

Taste: A very nicely muted sweetness from the malt mixes with a sophisticated softened acidity. Unfortunately the potting soil and oxidized wet paper quality carries over from the nose into the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thick side of thin bodied with low carbonation.

Overall: A fallen warrior. Probably due more to handling / conditioning than anything else. This bottle did not age well at all and my score is far from indicative of what I'd give regulaor goudenband. Makes me wonder if vintage bottles should ever be the basis for a beer review actually...

09-10-2012 21:15:53 | More by koopa
granger10

Wisconsin

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a deep, dark amber color but where's the head? Looking at it I see tons of yeast sediment going around. The bottle leaves a thick layer of yeast on the bottom of it. Smell is sharply tart previewing the taste to me. Taste is tart, super tart upfront. Sour fruits hit me like a one-two punch. Quite astringent. After the initial tartness there's a myriad of flavors to this one. Roasted malts, sweet fruits, woody base to it, and even some caramel. The finish is super dry and yeasty with some breadiness mixed in as well. Improved as it warmed but the beer in the end was overly sweet and the tartness just didn't hold together. I just couldn't really get into it....and the ridiculous amount of yeast made me kind of sick!

11-10-2003 00:31:07 | More by granger10
jujubeast6000

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

Reviewed 9/3/2007 (bottle, BB 11-2016):

Pours a dark brown colored body, with little head, tannish in color. Has a very sour sweet aroma. Has a dark fruit aroma, plum, and fig. Really fizzy palate, a sour taste. Dark fruit taste like dark grape and fig. Sweet sugary. Interesting.

02-18-2009 00:56:13 | More by jujubeast6000
janubio

Spain

3.21/5  rDev -23.6%

37,5 c. bottle wrapped in paper and corked. Dark amber colour, no head and no lace. Lots of chunks in the bottom of the glass. Smell is sour, cider, oak, cherries, apple and vanilla essence. Medium body, sour palate. Taste is sour too, cider, cherries, and the artificial vanilla. I like the sourness but certainly i expected much more from this one. bottled in 1996 and best before end of 2014.

04-24-2013 16:26:15 | More by janubio
hawks10

3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

2005 Vintage - 375ml bottle poured into my Hopleaf tulip...

Pours a murky brown with plum accents. One finger of quickly vanishing white head forms and leaves, leaving a lifeless looking glass of muddy water...

A bit of a sour wine-like aroma. Lots of overripe dark fruits (maybe some spoiled ones as well), slightly tart, cherries with a musty and oaky smell as well...

Taste is mostly dominated by oak and some sweet, toffee-like malt...there are some ripe dark fruits that seem to have the taste of being on the edge of spoiling. Musty and a bit funky overall, a touch of lactic sourness, but an overall muted flavor and really not all that pleasant...

Medium bodied with a short burst of liveliness on the tongue before all the bubbles escape, giving you a creamy, slick finish...

Not a huge fan of this one...would like to try another vintage, or possibly on tap before I completely write this one off...

06-30-2010 01:00:20 | More by hawks10
Spider889

3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

Thanks to Keffa (iirc) for bringing this to the tasting.

Not sure how I liked all the tissue paper packaging.

Tall head. The beer had a cola-like color to it. Droopy legs of lace.

Smelled quite sour and fruity. Cherry and raisin mixed nicely with the lactic pangs I was getting here.

Tasted very sour as well, lactic and mouth watering. Super sweet... though I guess that is a trait of the style. It did exhibit some of that trademark cola flavor most Flanders tend to have as well.

Dry as hell, man. In fact, my notes have a little arrow off to the side pointing at the "sour" comment and it says, "Ouch, too dry!" Yes, this is true my friends. The sweet and sour flavors only compound the dryness for me.

Overall not a bad example of the style. But the mouthfeel kind of killed this for me. Doubt I'll ever pay money for this.

06-17-2011 18:15:34 | More by Spider889
PEBKAC

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

375ml bottle I've had stuck on the door of the mini fridge for a couple years. "2006" printed on the cork.

Sweaty bottle poured into an Ommegang anniversary glass. Slimy, but otherwise sound cork. Deep, amber/brown color. An uncharacteristically steady hand results in a bright pour. No head. Scary-looking debris left clinging to the neck of the glass.

Smells like a prune-y barleywine. Toffee & a little compost. Maple. Cooked fruit. A fair bit of oxidation.

A caramelized sour brown. Subtle cherry fruit. Raisins. An almost onion-like sweetness. Lemon. Barely a hint of vinegar. Oxidation seems more like stale candy then newspaper.

Carbonation is on the stronger side. Body is a little light. Alcohol is somewhat of a nuisance.

I have yet to have the latest reincarnation of Goudenband, but from what I remember, this bottle has lost a few steps since it was new. It seems the new stuff has been pretty well received though, so until then... :)

05-23-2011 05:49:48 | More by PEBKAC
DogFood11

3.28/5  rDev -21.9%

big 750 green bottle coverd with a white paper cover. Easily managed. Bigtime lacing, almost nitro like.

Caramel is the predomimant odor. solid. It has a huge sour twinge, and a large carbonation profile. It has that typical belgian pale McGillicut but end up sliceing into the lambic deal.

Notes: I would definitely buy this again, it comes across like a lambic without the stong fruit profile. I'm in....

04-30-2006 07:05:06 | More by DogFood11
scottfrie

3.28/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into tulip. 2010 cork date.

A: Pours a deep mahogany with a finger of light tan head that fizzed away into a thin collar.
S: Deep and musty notes of buttery oak, thick caramel, brown sugar, leather, musty stone fruits, semi-sweet dark fruits, lightly tart berries, black cherry juice, and a hint of vanilla.
T: Malty flavors of base brown ale dominate, but greasy buttery oak barrel adds some balancing dryness and complexity to the flavors. Lightly tart hints of cherries, cherry pits, woody barrel, brown sugar, cocoa, and caramel are easily picked out, with leather and gritty tannins bringing up the finish. Tastes a bit muted and tired.
M: Very very low carbonation, almost flat, with a full greasy body, and drying finish. This beer is oily and heavy and definitely needs some more carbonation to lighten it up a bit.
O: Unfortunately not as good as I was expecting. Oak barrel comes through really well though, but I couldn't get past the greasy, heavy mouthfeel. Decent flavors, but not my favorite.

04-14-2014 00:07:55 | More by scottfrie
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%

I have been hunting this one down for a while now, and finally was able to acquire one in a trade recently. I put it immediately into the fridge and took it out last night to sit with and enjoy for a little while. A very nice looking 375ml bottle, wrapped up in paper greeted me, and I proceeded to decant it into an over sized wine glass for some proper enjoyment.

Appearance - The pour was decent; a rich red tinted brown liquid was presented in front of me. Some floaties were present, but not too much at all. A smallish, maybe one inch high head of off white colored foam then rose up off of it and settled down rather quickly leaving behind only the slightest bit of a crown on top, and some small side glass contribution. It looked good, but I am not blown away to be honest.

Smell - The aroma was thick, and sweet, almost like a syrup. Lots of very dark fruit flavors, currants, and dark cherries, were easily found in here. Some touches of fig were to be found as well, not picking up any of the sour notes though that others have mentioned, and I am a big fan of sours, and this was no sour. I am starting to think I have a bad batch here or something to be honest. As it warms it gets a little more earthy, but is still very, very sweet overall.

Taste - The flavor was more of the same, and I picked up no sour in here, in the beginning, middle, or end of it. There was just none to be found. It was sickingly sweet to me, with an off, musty malt profile that just did not fit at all. Lots of bready like flavors, just odd to me. Hints of dark cherries, figs, prune maybe, nothing spicy, just very sweet, too much so. No hint of alcohol in this, but for me, it was not the most enjoyable experience I have had.

Mouthfeel - Fell flat again here, literally with nowhere near enough carbonation, the profile was just too slim to be able to hold up such a thick syrup like feel. I just don t know what else to say, came off like cough syrup, but too candy like sweet.

Drinkability - I again am under impressed here. The alcohol was well hidden, which made it nice, however it was too dull, and the flavors were just off. I am not sure what this was supposed to be, but I am starting to think the one I have was not the way it was meant to be,. It was ok, but nothing spectacular, and I could not see myself drinking this all night.

Overall not sure what happened here, but this was definitely not my idea of exemplary by any means. It was too sweet, unbalanced, and under carbonated. I have had much, much better in the style. I am hoping my bottle was just off, I have another to compare later on so we shall see.

05-07-2008 03:08:52 | More by mikesgroove
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%

750ml bottle poured into a sampling glass.

Pours a clear brown with a small white head. Nose is fairly tart and malty.

Taste us quite well balanced for an oude bruin, it's tart and sour but it's not like vinegar which makes it quite drinkable. That being said it's somewhat bland for the style, it like it's afraid to commit.

11-19-2010 23:16:17 | More by kingcrowing
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

I got this a long while back from Onecrazybreeze... Brianne is awesome!! 2005 bottle cracked over the weekend and shared with the Boise peeps. Reviewed from paper notes.

Orange brew... with a descent head.

Nose has hints of Oud Bruin, but seems dominated by an apple element.

Flavor is again pretty much all apple with some grape and background cherry and maybe some oxidation.. vinous, but no where near as acidic as I was expecting or hoping for.

Body seems a bit thin, but the carbonation is pretty high.

Overall, a bit one dimensional.... but damn glad I got to try it... huge thanks again for the favors Brianne!!

4/3/3.5/3.5/3