Goudenband - Brouwerij Liefmans

GoudenbandGoudenband

Brouwerij Liefmans visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Goudenband Alström Bros

Rootimus88, Jul 20, 2012
1.53/5  rDev -63.5%

Appearance - 12 ounce bottle corked and caged. Cork date is Nov, 2001. Slight pop on opening. Center poured into a Belgian glass with virtually no bubble action. And yet, after settling, there appears this curious current of carbonation in the middle, churning from below and bringing up quite a bit of sediment. Mostly brown in color with hints or red and very bespeckled with large flakes of yeast. It's fun to watch, kinda like a lava lamp.

Aroma - definitely a musty, earthy, sour, vinous, somewhat medicinal smell. Reminds me of horses and their general smell. Very different, not something I'm used to, and I can't say I'm overly thrilled. As an aside, the cork itself smells like honeysuckle and fragrant wildflowers with allspice. Very nice, if there was a 'cork aroma' category, I'd give it a 5.

Taste - very sharp and sour flavor. A dry, acidic red wine taste with extreme lemon juice tartness. Very unusual, but an improvement from the aroma. The greenest, tartest apples ever, or like taking those Warheads candies and just licking off that outer sour layer. The sourness and horsiness render useless any thought of detecting malt or hops. I don't think I've had as funky a beer as this except for Orval, I really didn't like it much either. Finishes dry and puckering. I can adjust to it somewhat but generally think (at this point) that this style isn't for me and isn't worth the effort.

Mouthfeel - very dry and bubbly like a good dry champagne. As much as I don't care for the taste, the puckering bubbliness is quite enjoyable.

Drinkability - I will try others of this style in the future, but for now this is at the bottom of my repeat list.

brewdlyhooked13, Apr 29, 2004
1.88/5  rDev -55.1%

jccuevasr, Sep 05, 2014
1.88/5  rDev -55.1%

Smells sweetish, metallic, and almost wine-like. Pours a chocolately brown with LOTS of suspended yeast/proteins all throughout and a short lived off white head. Incredibly unappealing look from the excessive yeast/protein particles hanging out like stationary gel capsules. Taste is smooth, overly sweet, a touch alcoholic, and some nice sourness. Honestly tastes like a mix of brown ale and a cheap reisling wine. The sourness is interesting but the sweetness level is not something I want in my beer, and although I’m sure tons of people appreciate this style, I found at least this one cloying and left the last half for the sink.

JDV, Jan 16, 2008

DeerNick, Mar 15, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -50.4%

As soon as I popped the cork on this one I suspected I had gotten a bad bottle and boy was I right. Almost no carbonation left whatsoever; poured a muddy, reddish brown color, no head or lace at all, tons of floating chunks, lots of residue at the bottle of the glass. Aroma of wine-like tannins, light sweetness, cork, vinegar.

Taste is dominated by vinegar, tart but lacking any fruity notes, hints of malt sweetness, drying, cabarnet-like finish, corked, slight puckering sourness.

This beer was stored improperly and ruined. Unfortunately I don’t pass the store I purchased this bottle in very often at all but I will let them know about it when I do. Very nice employees I suspect will do something to make up for it!

I’d like to re-review this beer again if I can get my hands of another, unspoiled bottle. This one was drainpoured with a 1/4 of the beer left...I tried!

tobelerone, Dec 05, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -49.2%

375 mL, with too many floaties. I love yeast at the bottom, but not so much that I can only decant half the beer. Muddy brown with a full Belgian foam. Aromatically mediocre. It’s very applely, with a blend of granny smith and red apples. Also hints of banana bread. Definately more sweet than sour, and a beer that’s rumored to have gone through numerous changes the past decade. Maybe this was once a classic, but that was before my time. Now it’s just a sweet, drinkable, approachable brown ale. It has a unique taste, but is just too sweet and one dimensional.

Crosling, Aug 01, 2007

bigred89, May 13, 2012

Marvicsin, Aug 02, 2014

HardyGeneraL, Apr 16, 2012

carteravebrew, Nov 16, 2013

RoyFokker, May 19, 2014

Altrurian, Aug 22, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -33.2%

Pourred a nice deep brown brew with a dark head that stayed on for a while. Very acidic and sour taste with a hint of sugar. This is OK but not my favorite of the Liefmans. Still I noticed that this one has more head then the other Liefmans and lots of sediment at the bottom...

Phyl21ca, Oct 27, 2003
2.95/5  rDev -29.6%

12.7 oz bottle into a Westmalle chalice. Cork reads "2006."

A murky brown pour yields no head whatsoever. Nothing. Nada. Well, maybe a razor thin ring around the outside. Tons of yeast in the bottle, I leave about an inch of beer so I don't end up with the yeast in my glass.

Nose is pretty nice. Sweet dark fruits dominate. Raisins & figs.

Has a light rum taste coupled with a moderate sweetness. Very very slight tart bite on the backend.

This beer is flat. No carbonation at all. Other reviews say it should be medium bodied. Well, mine isn't. The flatness is a sore thumb on what might otherwise be a good beer.

If the beer had a decent mouthfeel, I think it would be refreshing and more complex. As it stands, it isn't.

mondegreen, Jun 18, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -29.6%

Dark red brown color. Small head. Aroma is tart, sour cherries and musty. A medium bodied Flemish sour. Kind of flat tasting, not very carbonated. Tart and sour, but there is some nice underlying maltyness, but mostly it the sour cherry flavor. This may be an old/bad bottle, as most of the other reviews I’ve read mention the high variability of this beer. If this is an OK bottle that it kind of disappointing. Still very drinkable, but not what I was expecting. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is dry. Aftertaste is tart and a little vinous.

beerguy101, Oct 10, 2003
2.96/5  rDev -29.4%

beerdog205, Sep 01, 2014
2.98/5  rDev -28.9%

Muddy brown with chunks of yeast sediment. No head. The lactic or brett over powers almost everything. You can get som chocolate and dark fruit in the nose. Sweet and sour, like one of those Charms lollipops, but heavier on the sour. Quite full bodied, but the sour finishees puckering. I guess that’s the way its supposed to be.

tjthresh, Aug 26, 2005

Corked and caged. The cork says 2006. Printed on top of the cage: 11-2016

Pours a light caramel color brown with some red highlights. No head or lace. A few bubbles form a collar around the edges.

The aromas consist mostly of rum soaked raisins, caramel and a little vinegar. The aroma is also a bit vinous.

In my opinion, the taste is definitely more sweet than sour/tart. The initial flavor is rum soaked raisins. Reminds me a little of a sweet wine. Then I get a bit of vinegar, green apples, just barely a hint of cherries and oak. The finish is mostly rum soaked raisins and some alcohol.

This beer is flat. There is little to no carbonation. The mouthfeel is medium and a bit syrupy.

The drinkability is bad. The alcohol is noticeable and there is not enough tartness to balance out the sweetness.

Dubber55, Jun 13, 2010