Goudenband - Brouwerij Liefmans

GoudenbandGoudenband

Brouwerij Liefmans visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Goudenband Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

My gateway to the world of sour beers, and a beer I love to revisit.

Tangy, deep, smooth and deep. Deep aroma of wood sugars, mild vinegar, candy and spice; the aroma flows into the nose as strong as the breeze from a sweet ocean. As happy as the nose is, the tongue is happier: it has as fascinating an interplay of flavors as any beer I have ever tasted: sweet as the strongest barleywine, with a thrumbing sour of green apple twirling around it.

This is the ONLY beer I have ever encountered that I wanted to smell more than I wanted to taste, and it tastes very, very good. Bravo.

Darkale, Dec 30, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

375 ml caged and corked bottle, 2007 on cork, best before 6/2017. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a hazy dark brown/red color with pretty much no head at all. Surprisingly there's a decent amount of lacing. There's also visible sediment "floaties" in the glass. The aroma is sour, it smells like apple cider, vinegar, brown sugar and tart cherries. The taste is similar to the aroma, but there's also raisins, figs, and a bit of wood that I can taste. Great mix between tart/sour and sweet flavors. It's definitely sweeter than I expected it to be. Mouthfeel is medium, it's creamy and a bit syrupy with average carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, it's very easy and enjoyable to drink. Alcohol is well hidden. I like this beer a lot, I think it's a very good Oud Bruin and I'd definitely buy it again.

bluejacket74, Dec 24, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured this 12.7 oz paper wrapped brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. 2006 is printed on the stubby cork. There was a tiny pop when opened. Major chunks of yeast/sediment dislodged into the glass. The body was a dull root beer color. Minimal fawn head.

Smell was metal and cooked fruits. Hints of apple-cider vinegar. Rather subdued.

Taste was of cherries, sweet in the beginning and tangy in the middle. Nectarines. Woody. Well balanced with a drying finish that keeps you going back for more.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a fine, light carbonation.

Cresant, Dec 19, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Serving type: bottle.

Pours a very dark amber with a thin white head. Slightly sour aroma that is a nice balance of maltiness and sour fruit. Perfectly balanced sour ale that is not to sour nor to sweet. A nice amount of maltiness and sour fruit combie to give this a beer an extremely smooth very drinkable taste. The best sour ale I've had yet.

corby112, Nov 27, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

2006 Vintage, best before date of 11/2016. Pours a very dark brown color with barely visible ruby highlights on the edges. No head and no lacing whatsoever, but some carbonation bubbles can be seen and a little bit of yeast that made it's way into the glass. Aroma of maple syrup and brown sugar with a hint of Tootsie Roll on top of a tart cherry sourness. The very definition of sweet and sour. Taste is very sweet, hints of cherries and apples, again with the brown sugar, a bit of molasses, and not quite as sour nor tart as I was expecting, but tart nonetheless. Very complex. The sweetness mixes nicely with the tart fruit flavors and is extremely well balanced. Very light carbonation tingle on the tongue, medium to full-bodied. The sweetness is somewhat cloying and the ABV is pretty high, keeping the drinkability low. This brew would be an excellent candidate for careful cellaring. I've read that Liefman's is or has gone bankrupt, so I'm very much considering buying a few more bottles of this before it's too late. My first Oud Bruin, and it did not let me down. Delicious.

KeefD, Nov 18, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Got this at Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a very dark brown color with ruby highlights - I tried to stop the pour before the yeast trickled out but I still have a few specks suspended in the beer. The head is almost non-existent and what little head there is recedes quickly into nothing but a very thin ring around the glass. No lacing.

Smells of sour cherries, but there are also good amounts of sweet aromas in there.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Tart cherries up front nicely balanced by the malt sweetness. Nothing terribly exciting but what's done is done well.

Mouthfeel is good. Very light on the carbonation compared to other sours I've had, but it has a good thickness and goes down smoothly.

Drinkability is good. I polished one bottle off pretty fast and could easily drink another.

Overall this is a solid beer, but for the money I'll take Petrus' Aged Pale. Both are worth a shot. I wish there was some indication of how old this was as I've read conflicting reports of the amount of head.

glid02, Nov 12, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

"The best brown ale" as proclaimed by beer guru Micheal Jackson.

A: Pours a dark cherry red color with a moderate light tan head.

S: Sour dried cherries on nose, very fruity.

T: Nice sourness upfront for flavor but is very smooth and silky and refined. Very light toasted nutbread and toasted grain. Sweet and sour palate with rich dark cherries, raisins upon warming. Sweet caramel and earthy hops round out this beer. Wow , very good.

M: a little light body wise, smooth with only a faint touch of carbonation felt on the tongue. dry, crisp, and pretty nice.

D: good drinkability, sweet, dry, crisp, fruity and a joy with every sip.

beerthulhu, Oct 31, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance - Dark-brown with visible sediment suspended inside. Poured a tannish head with a little retention.

Smell - Grapes and apples dominate the smell, with a slight sour vinegar note and a slight caramel malt.

Taste - Slightly dry, slightly sweet, slightly fruity, and a touch sour. The apples jump out a lot more in the taste with some brown sugar rounding it out.

Mouthfeel - Somewhat light and very liberal on the carbonation.

Drinkability - Despite the sour, it remains very drinkable, as everything seems well balanced. The fruit is prominent enough to enjoy, but mellow enough not to overwhelm.

sevopie, Oct 26, 2008

Well, this is a style that I've intentionally avoided since my tasting of Duchesse de Bourgogne a few years back. I realize they're not the same thing, but that sourness just put me off so much. I found this at Top Brews in Burlington and decided to give the Flemish style another try.

This is 2007 version, from a corked and caged 375ml bottle. It pours a very dark red with golden/amber highlights. No head whatsoever formed. What an impressive sight to behold: all the "floaties" collecting at the bottom of the glass. A nice swirl brings them up from the abyss. Fruity aroma, with tart cherry and bright, sweet malts easily discernible. A bit of something I can only describe as "vinegary" shows up as well; it gently reminds me of balsamic vinegar.

Cherry dominates the flavor, while a mild malt essence props the whole thing up with body. Very nice. The aftertaste mainly consists of the fruit flavor, but there is a dark, slightly burning alcohol character that keeps the flavor from becoming too sweet. Talk about balancing on the edge of a knife! Either way and it may lose its best qualities.

I'm glad I gave this brew a sample. While it's certainly different from my standard fare, it's a welcome step outside the box, and inspires me to continually try new things.

CWiggins, Oct 07, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Small corked bottle; 2006 vintage, good until 2016.

Reddish brown, glowing with amber highlights, and a nice light orange head, with good retention and lacing. Some haziness.
Great aroma, fruity, vinegar, tart and sour notes, along with some melted brown sugar.
Creamy yet highly drinkable, it has a perfect interplay of sweet and sour. Fruity sweet, tart, sour, sweet again, vinegary at times. It keeps coming, and it keeps changing.
Amazing, and it will probably be great in a carbonnade flamande.
I need more of this.

brdc, Sep 16, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

a: A dark brown body with red hues around the edges and massive amounts of sediment floating around. thin white head.

s: Notes of cola and tart cherries. A touch medicinal.

t: Tart cherries first, then cola and caramel malt. Some hints of lime along with medicinal and metallic notes. Complex and intriguing. I find my self taking sip after sip trying to capture all the flavors my tongue is receiving.

m: Syrupy, but proper carbonation prevents it from reaching a heavy feel.

d: Flavor complexity is forcing me to come back for more and more. I think this is officailly my first Oud Bruin, but with sours these styles often seem arbitrary. I suppose I need to learn more about their finer points, but I just know I love the damn things.

I could see this getting too sweet after a while, but I think it has just enough tart sourness to balance things out.

BradLikesBrew, Aug 26, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

375ml paper wrapped bottle. 2006 on cork. Poured into a Liefmans Goudenband glass.

A - Pours a reddish brown color with huge head that quickly settled to a ring around. Plenty of beastie yeasties floating around.

S - Sweet.

T - Sweet and fruity. A little sour and tart in the finish.

M - Medium carbonation.

D - As sweet as this was, one's my limit.

tedpeer, Jul 19, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

375ml green bottle fully wrapped in paper. cork says 2006. "best by" date of 11-2016. poured into small tulip.

light cherry cola color, reddish brown tint. lots of yeast sediment and clumps floating around - must not have been careful enough with pouring? decent head soon fades to a few wisps and a thin ring. some lacing.

fruity sweet aroma, somewhat like a fruity wine, plus some dried fruit too. maple syrup? hint of woodiness. whiff of vinegar funk.

wine notes again in the flavor, almost sherry-like. raisins and sweet caramel maltiness. faint tartness with wood character and slight phenolic/alcoholic undertones, along with gentle bitterness, all melt into the finish.

not too thin. some acidic and tannin texture. gentle carbonation

tai4ji2x, Jul 18, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

Corked and caged bottle dated 2017- I couldn't wait that long.

I've tried this beer a couple of times because I like it so much, but I'll catalogue my response this time.

I'm drinking it out of a celebrator glass because it's like a wide, stout flute or short pilsner glass.

Appearance is coke-bottle brown, maybe a little lighter. Reddish tints throughout. Lacing is really great- forming a crown sticking to the glass.

Smell is sticky, a little sweet, with tart notes and brown sugar coming through.

Taste is initially soft (including mouthfeel) rounding out to tart raspberry, rhubarb, and sweet tart candy. Mouthfeel follows with extra but not overwhelming carbonation. Superb thirst quencher. Finishes with the slightest iodine, but in a good way.

An amazing brew, one of the best, I hope the Liefmans facility stays afloat.

elinash, Jul 09, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Brouwerij Liefmans, Goudenband, Flanders Oud Bruin (Bottled: 2006) (Tasted 06/18/08)
12.7 oz. bottle: poured into a flute.

Appearance: Hazed brown, definitely poured a bit of yeast in. Head is small but persistent, a flat half inch cap of off white, tight bubbles. Head slowly dissipates into a ring along the edges of the glass.
Odor: Malt aromas are in the forefront, caramel, currant and candy sugar. Sour cherries are just behind, if not at the same level. Hints of chocolate and alcohol in the background.
Consistency: Medium, firm body. Carbonation is soft and effervescent. Acidity is huge and plays part in rounding out the body.
Taste: Oh man, where to begin. Tart cherry flavors are present throughout, joined by many of the flavors hinted at in the aroma, though the caramel is very subdued, adding a tinge of sweetness to balance out the sour, acidic, fruity flavors from the yeast, bugs and malt. Currant comes in with some hints of chocolate and a bit of solvent-like alcohol. Finishes pretty clean, allowing the fruit flavors to blossom with a hint of yeasty spiciness.

Walken, Jun 21, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Poured a deep brown with almost no head, i left a bit of the beer in the bottom of the bottle. There was a ton of sediment.

S: Very sour, apples really were present, alcohol was in there as well.

T: Very sweet, raisins, apples, quite tart, but still very drinkable, no hops, and the alcohol is hidden well.

M: Thin with nice carbonation, very dry.

D: I could drink a few of these in a night, the alcohol is a little sneaky on the second one though.

pokesbeerdude, Jun 01, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a dark cola color with a shallow wispy light tan head that fades quickly to spotty patterns of lacing. The smell is really interesting...it quickly reveals a tart characteristic, but its very rich with raisin and fig over an earthy malt and Belgian yeast. Lightly carbonated, the mouth feel is tangy and mildly tart, but altogether medium bodied. The flavor is a mirror image of the nose. The dark fruit sweetness over a mildly bright tartness. A real easy drinker. The 8% ABV is well integrated. Highly recommended. Thanks goes out to ampzilla for the opportunity to consider this one!!

jjayjaye, May 27, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -5%

Got my hands on this at the divine Brick Store Pub in Atlanta. Thanks Brick Store Dave & crew!

A. Thick, chunky and brown. Hazy and sports lots of yeast chips. small 1cm tall dirty brown head to finish things off.

S. Mild roast grain, yeasty-estery, figs, sugar, quite sweet with a fruity majority, minor tartness. Very intriguing, but vague and a little undefined.

T. Woah, this is sweet. Fruit abounds - reminds me of a darker, roastier dubbel - but there's some vague spice and figs, raisins, apple, flowery tartness and a fine Flanders sour twist. Very unique to me. This is a very sweet brown ale with character.

M. Mid to high carbonation, creamy and full. Finishes sweet-tart with yeast and malt supporting. Nearly dry.

D. By jove yes, if you like sweet and unusual brown Belgians. This took me off guard and delighted me with its style. It may not be world-class, but it's very good and I want more.

kkipple, May 19, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Murky burgundy with a thin beige head that forms a thin ring as it receeds. Delicate whisps of lace in my balloon goblet.

Aroma is dark sticky fruits, tart cherries, sour must, yeast, oak, and lots of berries. I just know it's gonna be good, the aroma makes my mouth water.

Flavor is simply incredible; dark fruit and berries sour earth, dry rotten wood, leather, pit fruit, oak. Perfectly sweet and sour. Very complex. I hold each sip for a contemplative moment before swallowing. Delicious.

Body is medium, creamy, and sticky on the lips. At 8% this is the strongest Oud Bruin I've had, but there is no trace of the strength. I could drink buckets of this delicious potion. Thanks to Dan @ Flying Saucer for sharing!

AlexJ, May 16, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

I have been hunting this one down for a while now, and finally was able to acquire one in a trade recently. I put it immediately into the fridge and took it out last night to sit with and enjoy for a little while. A very nice looking 375ml bottle, wrapped up in paper greeted me, and I proceeded to decant it into an over sized wine glass for some proper enjoyment.

Appearance - The pour was decent; a rich red tinted brown liquid was presented in front of me. Some floaties were present, but not too much at all. A smallish, maybe one inch high head of off white colored foam then rose up off of it and settled down rather quickly leaving behind only the slightest bit of a crown on top, and some small side glass contribution. It looked good, but I am not blown away to be honest.

Smell - The aroma was thick, and sweet, almost like a syrup. Lots of very dark fruit flavors, currants, and dark cherries, were easily found in here. Some touches of fig were to be found as well, not picking up any of the sour notes though that others have mentioned, and I am a big fan of sours, and this was no sour. I am starting to think I have a bad batch here or something to be honest. As it warms it gets a little more earthy, but is still very, very sweet overall.

Taste - The flavor was more of the same, and I picked up no sour in here, in the beginning, middle, or end of it. There was just none to be found. It was sickingly sweet to me, with an off, musty malt profile that just did not fit at all. Lots of bready like flavors, just odd to me. Hints of dark cherries, figs, prune maybe, nothing spicy, just very sweet, too much so. No hint of alcohol in this, but for me, it was not the most enjoyable experience I have had.

Mouthfeel - Fell flat again here, literally with nowhere near enough carbonation, the profile was just too slim to be able to hold up such a thick syrup like feel. I just don t know what else to say, came off like cough syrup, but too candy like sweet.

Drinkability - I again am under impressed here. The alcohol was well hidden, which made it nice, however it was too dull, and the flavors were just off. I am not sure what this was supposed to be, but I am starting to think the one I have was not the way it was meant to be,. It was ok, but nothing spectacular, and I could not see myself drinking this all night.

Overall not sure what happened here, but this was definitely not my idea of exemplary by any means. It was too sweet, unbalanced, and under carbonated. I have had much, much better in the style. I am hoping my bottle was just off, I have another to compare later on so we shall see.

mikesgroove, May 07, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

This is a beautiful beer. It pours a deep redish brown with a light tan head that stands as tall as any I have seen.
It smells of sour raspberries and dark fruit.
The taste is much like the arouma. it sits on the tongue almost to no end. The sourness is balanced by the rich fruitiness and deep malt complexity.
Drink this beer if you enjoy dark Belgian ales!

AlesALot, May 03, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

I bought this because I've been digging sours and I hear liefmans won't be around America much longer. The cork had 2006 on it so I guess this has been sitting awhile. Nice, dark brown color with aromas of alcohol and big malts. A little bit of dark funk going on in the smell as well as vinegar. The aroma really improves as the beer warms to room temp (as most do). Whoa, the taste is funky, sour, strong, cereal, heavy cereal maltiness, vinegar again and glue, sour apples, tart in the back. This is sour in a puckery way but much different than the La Roja I had just prior. This is quite potent and much more of a sipper. Overall not my favorite but I'm not that literate when it comes to oud bruins.

ArrogantB, Apr 29, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: It pours a very toasty brown color. It's very hazy and features prominent chunks of sediment swimming about. Head is a little of white and was only about two fingers deep. It receded fairly quickly and left spotty lacing on the glass. Despite the short retention and short lacing, it's quite a spectacle.

Smell: The first whiff brings an incredibile sour aroma. It's followed by a fantastic mix of dark fruit, cherry, and spices. It's got a nice, sweet malty aroma that emerges and mixes with just a hint of toasted nut and wood chips. It's a very complex and intriguing aroma. Frankly, I can't say that I've ever smelled a beer quite like this.

Taste: Whew. Very, very sour and tart. It definitely has that mouth puckering tartness to it. But, it's damn tasty. It's sugary and sweet up front, but quickly followed by the very sour, tart flavor. Dark fruit and cherry flavors are fantastic. The malty base provides a great backbone. It has a slight wood chip/oak flavor to it. It's extremely complex. There's just loads and loads of flavor. Alcohol is not the slightest bit noticeable.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied and is carbonated extremely well. Very smooth and easy drinking. At 8%, it's not high enough to limit drinkability in any meaningful sense. I'd be happy to have another 375 ml if it were here.

This is a very pleasing surprise. It's my first experience with Liefmans and a Flanders oud bruin. It's difficult to ccnstructively criticize here as it's been a great first experience. But, I'll try. Perhaps the tart flavor could be toned down just a tad. For me, that would easily drive this beer to damn near perfection. Nonetheless, this is clearly a classic and not to be missed.

prototypic, Apr 27, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a dark brown color that appears ruby in the light. A small tan head appears and dissipates rather quickly leaivng no lace behind.

The aroma is sort of tangy. Notes of vinegar, dark malts, and a sort of soy sauce quality is also present.

The taste is pretty nice. A tangy vinegar like profile with some bready malt. A slight sourness makes the mouth water for more.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and noderately carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. Alcohol is relatively high, and although the flavors are good they will definitely get old.

Goliath, Apr 26, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 375ml caged and corked bottle, gift wrapped as all the US versions of the bottle I have seen are. Poured into a Duvel goblet.

Appearance- Beer pours a dark brown, almost black with red hues shining through the beer. A solid three finger deep head caps the beer and quickly dies down to a subdued murk over the top. Lacing clings to the sides for the duration of the enjoyment of the beverage.

Smell- Brettanomyces, sweet and sour with lacto bacillus also shining thru. This is what we like our Belgian sours to smell like. Tart, almost unpleasant, but just enough goodness to come through and show that this is a proper oude bruin.

Taste- Sweet and tart upfront with a malty brown character unlike an American brown. Those who have not enjoyed the treasures of the genre of beer known as a Flanders Sour Oud Bruin, need to get out and hunt this one down. A fine style example. Belgian bacterium, tart, almost puckering, sweet, and rich.

Mouthfeel- Thick, slightly warming, puckering, highly carbonated, and medium full bodied.

Drinkability- Very nice and deceptive. I would love to find a little on tap so that I could get myself a growler. An excellent dessert beer that I would love to enjoy again and again.

blakesell, Apr 24, 2008