Goudenband - Brouwerij Liefmans

GoudenbandGoudenband

Brouwerij Liefmans visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Goudenband Alström Bros
4.32/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a deep brown with almost no head, i left a bit of the beer in the bottom of the bottle. There was a ton of sediment.

S: Very sour, apples really were present, alcohol was in there as well.

T: Very sweet, raisins, apples, quite tart, but still very drinkable, no hops, and the alcohol is hidden well.

M: Thin with nice carbonation, very dry.

D: I could drink a few of these in a night, the alcohol is a little sneaky on the second one though.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a dark cola color with a shallow wispy light tan head that fades quickly to spotty patterns of lacing. The smell is really interesting...it quickly reveals a tart characteristic, but its very rich with raisin and fig over an earthy malt and Belgian yeast. Lightly carbonated, the mouth feel is tangy and mildly tart, but altogether medium bodied. The flavor is a mirror image of the nose. The dark fruit sweetness over a mildly bright tartness. A real easy drinker. The 8% ABV is well integrated. Highly recommended. Thanks goes out to ampzilla for the opportunity to consider this one!!

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

Got my hands on this at the divine Brick Store Pub in Atlanta. Thanks Brick Store Dave & crew!

A. Thick, chunky and brown. Hazy and sports lots of yeast chips. small 1cm tall dirty brown head to finish things off.

S. Mild roast grain, yeasty-estery, figs, sugar, quite sweet with a fruity majority, minor tartness. Very intriguing, but vague and a little undefined.

T. Woah, this is sweet. Fruit abounds - reminds me of a darker, roastier dubbel - but there's some vague spice and figs, raisins, apple, flowery tartness and a fine Flanders sour twist. Very unique to me. This is a very sweet brown ale with character.

M. Mid to high carbonation, creamy and full. Finishes sweet-tart with yeast and malt supporting. Nearly dry.

D. By jove yes, if you like sweet and unusual brown Belgians. This took me off guard and delighted me with its style. It may not be world-class, but it's very good and I want more.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Murky burgundy with a thin beige head that forms a thin ring as it receeds. Delicate whisps of lace in my balloon goblet.

Aroma is dark sticky fruits, tart cherries, sour must, yeast, oak, and lots of berries. I just know it's gonna be good, the aroma makes my mouth water.

Flavor is simply incredible; dark fruit and berries sour earth, dry rotten wood, leather, pit fruit, oak. Perfectly sweet and sour. Very complex. I hold each sip for a contemplative moment before swallowing. Delicious.

Body is medium, creamy, and sticky on the lips. At 8% this is the strongest Oud Bruin I've had, but there is no trace of the strength. I could drink buckets of this delicious potion. Thanks to Dan @ Flying Saucer for sharing!

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%

I have been hunting this one down for a while now, and finally was able to acquire one in a trade recently. I put it immediately into the fridge and took it out last night to sit with and enjoy for a little while. A very nice looking 375ml bottle, wrapped up in paper greeted me, and I proceeded to decant it into an over sized wine glass for some proper enjoyment.

Appearance - The pour was decent; a rich red tinted brown liquid was presented in front of me. Some floaties were present, but not too much at all. A smallish, maybe one inch high head of off white colored foam then rose up off of it and settled down rather quickly leaving behind only the slightest bit of a crown on top, and some small side glass contribution. It looked good, but I am not blown away to be honest.

Smell - The aroma was thick, and sweet, almost like a syrup. Lots of very dark fruit flavors, currants, and dark cherries, were easily found in here. Some touches of fig were to be found as well, not picking up any of the sour notes though that others have mentioned, and I am a big fan of sours, and this was no sour. I am starting to think I have a bad batch here or something to be honest. As it warms it gets a little more earthy, but is still very, very sweet overall.

Taste - The flavor was more of the same, and I picked up no sour in here, in the beginning, middle, or end of it. There was just none to be found. It was sickingly sweet to me, with an off, musty malt profile that just did not fit at all. Lots of bready like flavors, just odd to me. Hints of dark cherries, figs, prune maybe, nothing spicy, just very sweet, too much so. No hint of alcohol in this, but for me, it was not the most enjoyable experience I have had.

Mouthfeel - Fell flat again here, literally with nowhere near enough carbonation, the profile was just too slim to be able to hold up such a thick syrup like feel. I just don t know what else to say, came off like cough syrup, but too candy like sweet.

Drinkability - I again am under impressed here. The alcohol was well hidden, which made it nice, however it was too dull, and the flavors were just off. I am not sure what this was supposed to be, but I am starting to think the one I have was not the way it was meant to be,. It was ok, but nothing spectacular, and I could not see myself drinking this all night.

Overall not sure what happened here, but this was definitely not my idea of exemplary by any means. It was too sweet, unbalanced, and under carbonated. I have had much, much better in the style. I am hoping my bottle was just off, I have another to compare later on so we shall see.

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

This is a beautiful beer. It pours a deep redish brown with a light tan head that stands as tall as any I have seen.
It smells of sour raspberries and dark fruit.
The taste is much like the arouma. it sits on the tongue almost to no end. The sourness is balanced by the rich fruitiness and deep malt complexity.
Drink this beer if you enjoy dark Belgian ales!

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

I bought this because I've been digging sours and I hear liefmans won't be around America much longer. The cork had 2006 on it so I guess this has been sitting awhile. Nice, dark brown color with aromas of alcohol and big malts. A little bit of dark funk going on in the smell as well as vinegar. The aroma really improves as the beer warms to room temp (as most do). Whoa, the taste is funky, sour, strong, cereal, heavy cereal maltiness, vinegar again and glue, sour apples, tart in the back. This is sour in a puckery way but much different than the La Roja I had just prior. This is quite potent and much more of a sipper. Overall not my favorite but I'm not that literate when it comes to oud bruins.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: It pours a very toasty brown color. It's very hazy and features prominent chunks of sediment swimming about. Head is a little of white and was only about two fingers deep. It receded fairly quickly and left spotty lacing on the glass. Despite the short retention and short lacing, it's quite a spectacle.

Smell: The first whiff brings an incredibile sour aroma. It's followed by a fantastic mix of dark fruit, cherry, and spices. It's got a nice, sweet malty aroma that emerges and mixes with just a hint of toasted nut and wood chips. It's a very complex and intriguing aroma. Frankly, I can't say that I've ever smelled a beer quite like this.

Taste: Whew. Very, very sour and tart. It definitely has that mouth puckering tartness to it. But, it's damn tasty. It's sugary and sweet up front, but quickly followed by the very sour, tart flavor. Dark fruit and cherry flavors are fantastic. The malty base provides a great backbone. It has a slight wood chip/oak flavor to it. It's extremely complex. There's just loads and loads of flavor. Alcohol is not the slightest bit noticeable.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied and is carbonated extremely well. Very smooth and easy drinking. At 8%, it's not high enough to limit drinkability in any meaningful sense. I'd be happy to have another 375 ml if it were here.

This is a very pleasing surprise. It's my first experience with Liefmans and a Flanders oud bruin. It's difficult to ccnstructively criticize here as it's been a great first experience. But, I'll try. Perhaps the tart flavor could be toned down just a tad. For me, that would easily drive this beer to damn near perfection. Nonetheless, this is clearly a classic and not to be missed.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a dark brown color that appears ruby in the light. A small tan head appears and dissipates rather quickly leaivng no lace behind.

The aroma is sort of tangy. Notes of vinegar, dark malts, and a sort of soy sauce quality is also present.

The taste is pretty nice. A tangy vinegar like profile with some bready malt. A slight sourness makes the mouth water for more.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and noderately carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. Alcohol is relatively high, and although the flavors are good they will definitely get old.

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 375ml caged and corked bottle, gift wrapped as all the US versions of the bottle I have seen are. Poured into a Duvel goblet.

Appearance- Beer pours a dark brown, almost black with red hues shining through the beer. A solid three finger deep head caps the beer and quickly dies down to a subdued murk over the top. Lacing clings to the sides for the duration of the enjoyment of the beverage.

Smell- Brettanomyces, sweet and sour with lacto bacillus also shining thru. This is what we like our Belgian sours to smell like. Tart, almost unpleasant, but just enough goodness to come through and show that this is a proper oude bruin.

Taste- Sweet and tart upfront with a malty brown character unlike an American brown. Those who have not enjoyed the treasures of the genre of beer known as a Flanders Sour Oud Bruin, need to get out and hunt this one down. A fine style example. Belgian bacterium, tart, almost puckering, sweet, and rich.

Mouthfeel- Thick, slightly warming, puckering, highly carbonated, and medium full bodied.

Drinkability- Very nice and deceptive. I would love to find a little on tap so that I could get myself a growler. An excellent dessert beer that I would love to enjoy again and again.

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

Dark brown..lots of floaties, but could be due to my pour. Smells sweet and sour...very interesting. Taste is an interesting blend of malts, and sour, almost lambic tartness. Mouthfeel is nice due to the sweet/sour aspect. Leaves a nice aftertaste.
Drinkability is fine.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

corked in 2005.

Pours a red brown haze with nice fluffy white head and some sediment. Nose is of belgian yeast, Dark fruit and the slightest bit of acidity. Taste pretty much follows, dark fruit up front, a dry belgian yeast flavor through the middle, and a slight tartness on the finish. a bit of candi sugar flavor in here. A little bit of spice towards the finish as well, and a slight tart appley aftertaste mixed in with the lingering dark fruit. Mouthfeel is fantastic as is drinkability. A great and unique brew from leifman's. I like it.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

On-tap at the Spinnerstown Hotel

How nice, a sour beer that's both complex and drinkable. There's an obvious acidic sourness, but it doesn't overwhelm the beer. The appears is a slightly hazy brown with no head retention. The aroma is something else. There's a lot going on here with fruit, caramel, and woody aromas. The flavor is sweet at first with caramel malts giving way to the sherry-like tastes and acidic sourness. One of the most drinkable sour beers. I'll call it a must-try.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours from a 375 ml. bottle (2007, by the cork) into a tulip glass. Nice two-finger head that dissolves quickly, leaving little lacing. Held to the light, the color is deep reddish brown. The smell is like currants or sour cherries. The taste, the same, but rich, hints of black mulberry giving way to a sharp vinegar tang. It's smooth and supple on the palate, not too thick, not too thin; carbonation is low, but more would amp up the sourness too much. It's not the easiest drink in the world, but it's more than just a sipper: you have to take a mouthful to appreciate it. Definitely one of my favorite beers.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

this gem of a beer was recommended to me by an inebriated local i met at the golem in amsterdam. he could barely talk, but damn i'm glad i took his advice. this was my first encounter with funky beer and it really opened my eyes.

appearance - deep brown with an attractive but short lived white head.

smell - complex. fruit, wood, carmel, and sour. a first for me.

taste - holy crap. beer can do that? tastes as complex as it smells with a sourness that melts into a sweet finish. blew me away.

mouthfeel - medium body, well carbonated, the sourness gave my mouth a good ride.

drinkability - the beer was gone before i knew it. if it wasn't so darn expensive (thanks bush, dollars aren't worth crap to euros anymore) i'd have ordered another!

all in all a great beer. i've had other funky beers since, but haven't found one to match this one..

4.14/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured like somebody tapped the Mississippi except thicker/more murky. No head or lacing. Smell was rich malt and fatty butter along with a vinegar acidity that mixed well with a sour cherry tone. Taste is along the same lines but with more emphasis on the maltiness. Very muddy as everything seems to be mixed in while not complimenting the other parts. Incredibly rich body that was teetering on heavy, but the sourness seemed to lighten it up a bit. It finished dry making this very drinkable, but the heaviness of the malt will catch up with you.

Sampled at the Kelvin Arms.

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Muddy brown with a bit of sediment floating about and a short-lived off-white head.

Smell - Musty wood, caramel, cherries and slight funk. Complex and nicely balanced.

Taste and mouthfeel - Caramel and sour cherries at the forefront; nice sweet-sour dynamic, with sweetness being a bit more prominent. Undertones of vanilla, raisins and minerals. Medium-bodied with just enough carbonation to keep it lively.

Notes - An excellent oud bruin, complex and unique but highly drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This I feel is one of the better brown ales out there. Jose Pistolas in Philadelphia has this great beer on tap. I had this beer poured into a tulip glass straight from the tap. It poured a ruby red with a 2 finger red/ white head. Immediately I could smell sour cherries, spices, and dough. With the taste the same apply, but I did pick up on some nutmeg. This beer was totally drinkable. I had like 5 of them in a row the other night. To me this could be a good session beer.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours an amber brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose worries me. Yep, there it is... intense, bracing tart sour cherry. The cherry aroma is overwhelmed by the funky, barnyard sour aroma.... but maybe it won't be too sour on the palate.

On the palate this is a very impressive beer. It's very complex with flavors of sweet black cherry, lemon, lime and a blast of sour funk coming up at the end. The flavors are intense and much more focused then what one sees in a typical fruit lambic for instance. While not my favorite style, even a dedicated sour hater like myself can appreciate this beer. The beer has a very nice mouthfeel with a long, lingering finish. On the other hand, a little bit of this goes a long way. The beer is pretty warming from the 8% abv., and the sweet/sour combination wears me out after a while. Still, this is a very good beer that I was very pleased to see on tap at Max's. Quite good.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

A- Poured on tap at the Publick House. Poured into a Liefmans' glass. Was a murky brown with no head to speak of.

S- Sweet and sour. Notes of apricots, raisins and dark malts. You also get a lot of sour notes.

T- As the nose suggested this is a sweet and sour mix. I really liked the balance in this beer. If I had to be picky it was maybe a bit on the sweet side. Nice notes of cirtus, raisins and melon. This is a nice Oud Bruin.

M- A bit syrupy but that is common w/ Flanders style beers in my mind. It isn't really a bad thing but it covers up some of the more subtle nuances of the beer.

D- I could definitely have a couple of these. As stated above it is a bit syrupy but I can get over that for a beer that is this tasty.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from bottle into a Westmalle chalice.

Dark opaque pour with a minimal head that reduced quick to a collar, light lacing. Aroma is hit or miss on this beauty, this time I got what I was expecting. Sweet and sour. Taste is tricky, with a subtle sour note that with plums and melons. Light carbonation on the tongue, nicely balanced mouth fill. An excellent Flemish brown ale.

Let stand after taking it out of the fridge to warm up a bit. poured into wide mouth chalice glass. nice dark brown almost black color. small head - it was stoudt in color but without the foamy stout head. very strong malty smell. strong taste to go along with this. a very nice sweet back of the tongue taste. this is a darn good beer.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a slightly hazy dark ruby, burnt caramel color with a decent quarter inch off-white head that soon meanders to a trickle. Aromas are classic Flanders, plenty of acetic acid comes through, dark caramel malts, plums and raisins. The aroma doesn't lean as far in the sour direction as other lambics I've had and does have a noticeable sweet smell. It also has a slight medicinal, band-aid like note. An incredibly mouth filling beer, the rich dark malts blend well with the bacteria with an overall pretty sweet feel. An overall syrupy feel with the moderate carbonation compounding that. Flavors of light citrus fruits but leaning towards dark fruits with a small amount of chocolate, really quite diverse. Overall, a trully excellent beer and I appreciate the rich character from darker malts, however, I have to say the lighter colored Flander's Reds are more my cup of tea.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Update 21Jun2009, 750ml bottled 2006 from the "cellar".
Rating has been adjusted accordingly.

Still very cloudy and murky in appearance, as expected.

The sourness is very evident still, but a nice fruity (cherries, plums and green apples) sweetness has begun to come through a little more than before. The vinegar notes have become a little more muted, and the the finish has smoothed out quite a bit with a little less acidity. This has turned into one hell of a fine sour beer, and I hope the remaining bottles that I have get only better.

750ml bottle, 2006. 4.25 rating.

Pours a dark and cloudy ruby tinged brown with a one finger head that fades quickly to a thin soapy cap. The lacing is minimal, but it does stick to the glass nicely.

Smell; sour green apples and cherries with a hint of vinegar come floating out of the glass before I even finish pouring. A little brown sugar with a touch of oak are present as well as a hint of citrus.

Taste; very sour and acidic, with cherries and sour apples with that touch of citrus in the background. A little bit of brown sugar helps to keep the sourness in check a bit. The oak helps to smooth out the finish and gives it a bit of a drying effect on the palate.

Moutheel is medium bodied with an almost "spitzy" carbonation, and for me the drinkability is just great, but then I really love sour beers.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

375 ml, dated 2006 on the cork, best by date 11-2016, served in a Riedel Vinum Extreme flute at 57 F/ 14 C.

Rusty orangish brown, basically no head, a few fine tendrils and blots of lace. Lots of yeast in the second glass, but it's not a problem.

Smells like tart kiwi fruit, golden raisins, cooked strawberry, prune, and yeasty dough. Deep wood and soy sauce notes, and a bit of barnyard. Mild smell, but very nice.

Tastes like kiwi, golden raisins, fig jam, strawberry sauce, wood. Juicy, moderately sweet. Some underlying leafy, strawlike, woody bitterness, and some soy sauce in the background. Some acidity, but not much. After several seconds, rich nutty oxidization comes in, and the sweetness fades for a long dry finish of oxidization and golden raisins with some bitterness. Complex and very tasty.

Smooth creamy superfine carbonation, and not too much of it. Very very drinkable.

Great characterful beer.

I paired the second glass with a Parmigiano-Reggiano and an aged cana de cabra goat cheese. The P-R paired fairly well. The cana de cabra was outstanding, providing tart funk while highlighting the fruit of the beer.

Goudenband from Brouwerij Liefmans