Goudenband - Brouwerij Liefmans

GoudenbandGoudenband

Brouwerij Liefmans visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Goudenband Alström Bros
DogFood11

3.28/5  rDev -21.7%

big 750 green bottle coverd with a white paper cover. Easily managed. Bigtime lacing, almost nitro like.

Caramel is the predomimant odor. solid. It has a huge sour twinge, and a large carbonation profile. It has that typical belgian pale McGillicut but end up sliceing into the lambic deal.

Notes: I would definitely buy this again, it comes across like a lambic without the stong fruit profile. I'm in....

04-30-2006 07:05:06 | More by DogFood11
beveragecaptain

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

375 ml bottle, corked and caged. The bottle is wrapped in paper. According to the cork, this is the 2003 version. This beer pours out a dark red color without much head. There are lots of big chunks at the bottom. The aroma is sour, dark cherries along with something like chocolate. The flavor is slightly sour and slightly sweet. Sour green apple skin and cherries. There are some oak flavors too. The finish is a bit bitter, which doesn't go well with the sour flavors. Carbonation is low. This is a pretty good sour beer, although there seems to be variation from bottle to bottle.

04-28-2006 01:49:44 | More by beveragecaptain
ej285701

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

12 oz bottle, corked and caged with the year "2000" printed on the cork. I had no idea this bottle was that old when I purchased it a few weeks ago.

Poured into a goblet. It comes out a medium brown color with some red highlights. Absolutely no head formation and no sign of carbonation. Also no yeast particles as they were all caked to the bottom of the bottle. From the appearance it looked as if this bottle may have been past its prime.

The smell was quite pleasing however. Very fruity with notes of cherries and grapes and a strong backing of oaky/vanilla scents. Also some mustiness, and slightly sour.

Upon taking the first sip I realize that some of the carbonation did indeed survive. And the flavor is amazing. It reminds me more of a red wine than a beer. Grapes, prunes, cherries, vanilla, some earthiness, very oaky in the finish. The sweetness and sourness are in perfect harmony. Perhaps the most complex beer I've had thus far. Every time I take a sip, a new flavor is noticed.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. Very minimal carbonation, almost flat, but I can just barely detect the tiny bubbles on my tongue.

After the first bottle, I was definitely ready for another. I wish I had bought more than just one. I'll have to try a freasher sample to compare the two, but I can't imagine it being better than this one. For anyone cellering any 2000's, I'd say they're ready to go.

04-27-2006 19:12:14 | More by ej285701
Conrad

Ontario (Canada)

Short and to the point: A Flemish brown beer.
A: The plain green bottle comes gift wrapped in a big sheet of classy paper. It pours withy a hazy dark ruby colour, and a nice light brown head that leave pretty lacing.
S: A sour tart smell hits you right off the top. Then there are fruit flavours that made me go HMMM. What is that? Apple cider? Prunes? Grapes? Very complex.
T: Sweet and tart at the same time. The sweet fruits are well balanced with sour citrus, toffee notes, wrapped in a warming bite of alcohol. Almost like a beer-wine.
M: Smooth, medium body, with a beautiful effervescence that stays right to the bottom of the glass.
D: Great. A celebration beer. I wouldn't have this as my regular beer, but would save it for special occasions.

04-26-2006 15:57:30 | More by Conrad
Jredner

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%

Sour balsamic vinegar dominates the aroma with hints of chinese baby corn. Ruby/brown in color with a lazy white head tha diminishes rapidly. Fore is tart and slightly vegetal and is followed by some sweeter fruit notes including cherry and slghtly caramel accented malts. Leaves a tongue tingling sourness in the finish.

04-24-2006 22:57:07 | More by Jredner
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

3.98/5  rDev -5%

375ml bottle bought from The Vineyard, Belfast...

Poured quite a dark burgundy red colour with brown tinges... Slightly off white head poured quite thick and faded to a very thin layer...

Aroma - Sweet toffee and lightly roasted malts, spicy fruits (some raisin, banana and strawberry notes), treacle, light chocolate, nice hopiness, sour vinegar notes, peppery, yeasty...

Taste – Spicy caramel malts, oaky, light sourness, rum notes, some fig/prune sweetness, very light hop bitterness, biscuity...

Feel - Pretty smooth. Medium body. Pretty drinkable....

Overall - An excellent beer.... Definitely worth a try...

04-24-2006 09:05:45 | More by mdagnew
Viggo

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Good offering from the LCBO. Pours a nice and cloudy red/brown, medium tan head forms, settles to a ring pretty quick, spots of lace on the Orval glass. Smell is spicy, sour and citrus notes, some chocolate, sweet caramel, touch of alcohol. Taste is nice, somewhat grainy, sour fruits and citrus acidity, malty chocolate and toffee middle, a little molasses, and more sourness in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with high carbonation, very smooth. I was expecting a bit more out of Goudenband, but I have half a dozen bottles left, and an expiry date of April 2016.

04-22-2006 02:50:08 | More by Viggo
allergictomacros

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Dark, dark brown. Looks opaque, so I guess it's cloudy, but it's hard to tell. Loose, creamy head and plenty of lace.

S - Strong red wine aroma and some sourness. Some horse as well. Sweetness and raisin aromas as it warms. Notes of soy sauce.

T - Sour, but not overwhelmingly so. Strong prune-like flavours and sweetness. Faint hints of whiskey and rum show as well. A touch of bitterness appears late in the drink, and in the aftertaste

M - Carbonation is very sharp and could use some mellowing. Boozy (alcoholic) drying mouthfeel.

D - Delicious for sure, and probably very appealing to a wine crowd. I don't know if I can drink many of these in a sitting (and I certainly couldn't afford to be buying this all the time!)

04-20-2006 02:22:28 | More by allergictomacros
Popsinc

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a dark brown....some tartness in the nose, mild fruit....the taste is absolutely fantastic: semi-tart, not quite sour, an almost cherry like finish and with only the most subtle woody notes....a somewhat lively mouthfeel but yet this beers quickly turns with an ever growing creaminess towards the finish, light in some way....what a great, fresh mouthfeel...this beer is balanced quite nicely and has a nice complexity about it....easily a beer to sit down and slowly enjoy several of....to me this was a world class old brown ale...top marks here

04-20-2006 01:52:09 | More by Popsinc
pootz

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Corked, mini champage bottle. Poured a murky chestnut brown-amber with a rocky, sticky cap that laces. Sweet and sour aromas of musty spice and sharp medicinal smells against caranel sweetness. Moderate body is slightly sour uop front with a tart cherry or grape tase that then becomes mellowed in the body by a luxurious whack of caramel malts. Finish is slightly drying as the hops are detected with metallic aftertastes. This is probably the better of the Flanders browns I have tasted...the malt is more pronounced and it is more drinkable than Petrus or Rodenbach.

04-17-2006 15:49:38 | More by pootz
UnionMade

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

750 ml bottle split with the old lady. The cork reads 2005.
Ruddy brown, the first pour has a good clarity. This one keeps a dense, off white head all the way through. Great lacing, blobs of foam clinging to the glass. Sweetish caramel aroma, a good bit of sugariness, with a pleasing sour quality I expect from the style. Fruity, with red grape and tart dark berries, melding with the caramel excellently. No trace of the 8% alcohol. Sweetish caramel flavor right up front, with grapey tartness sneaking in early. Black cherry, white chocolate, and blackberry. Soft vanilla, oaky flavors. Very similar to the flanders reds I've been drinking recently, namely Rodenbach, but with a bigger, sweeter caramel bend. A touch of funk in addition to the sourness, mostly a bleu cheese kind of medicinal astringeny in the finish. Somewhat dry, with a balance between the tartness and sweetness. Lightish medium body, with perky, smart carbonation. Hardly a trace of alcohol. Pretty dang drinkable. I like this stuff. I'd bet this would benefit from a bit of age in the bottle, but it's solid stuff nearly brand new.

04-15-2006 10:48:28 | More by UnionMade
tatterdash

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer used to often be unwrapped a little to late in the night to be properly enjoyed in my group of drunken lowlifes, so let's try one sober.

Paper-wrapped bottle reveals a plain green corked number. Pours a dark almost burgundy red with a bubbly off white head that laces very well. Aroma of grapes, oak, wild yeast, lots of fruit. Taste was almost like port wine, sweet start quickly turning tart with a port-like finish. Grapes, some green apple, lots of barrel. I have no recollection that this tasted like this. The mouthfeel was appropriately astrigent, and the 8% ABV is not existence, but it is very warming so you know it it there. This is a wonderful example of this rare style, and I now wish I had more then two bottles.

04-12-2006 22:29:50 | More by tatterdash
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Now I get it…now I finally get this style. This is magnificent.

Served on tap and in the proper glassware at the Map Room in Chicago, IL, this chestnut bodied brew pours with an audible carbonation and inch thick slightly speckled white head.

The nose is intensely sour and almost lambiclike. It’s so sour in fact, that’s it is difficult to make anything of the aroma. With some consentration I think I smell some cherry lemonade ice tea.

I can’t really taste much in here accept for sour acid and a little cider. This doesn’t bother me in the slightest. The acid flavor is to die for.

The motuhfeel is like there’s a ballet on my tongue.

Despite the acid I could never grow tired of drinking this. I don’t know how they do it.

03-27-2006 18:31:10 | More by DaPeculierDane
ggaughan

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Served from bottle as part of the Monk's Cafe Michael Jackson Flemish Sour beer diner. This was the 4th of 7 beers served to us. The beer poured a light brown color with some light coming through. Nice white head with good lacing. The nose of this beer is some sour cherries, malt. The taste is nice muted sourness of cherries, a bit woody but overall very enjoyable.

03-24-2006 03:11:31 | More by ggaughan
audiojon

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

2005 vintage, 750ml bottle. Poured into my trusty Maudite tulip. Appearance is great, deep ruby color, nice head that settles quickly, great lacing. Scent is just a wee bit sour, but mostly both malty and yeasty. Taste is sweeter than I had expected, I was hoping for a bit more sourness. There's definitely a bit there, sour cherries is what I taste, but it's muted a bit by the overall sweetness. I'm now at the middle of the bottle, and this seems to have improved since the first sip. I really have nothing to compare this to, being my first Oud Bruin, but I will say that this is a keeper. Overall I will still seek out Flanders Reds more often than this other Flanders, but this definitely has its own charm.

Recommended! I paid only 6.99 for a 750ml bottle at BevMo, and this is better than some other Belgians that cost much more.

03-22-2006 03:59:25 | More by audiojon
weeare138

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks to hopdog for this '92 version. Dickinsonbeer provided an '03 version but I passed on most of it and worked with this one.
Appears a mild brown with a small white head that refuses to fade.
Smell is of sour cherries, mild oak, and toffee.
Taste is of malty caramel, toffee, and some oak.
Mouthfeel is smooth with mild tartness.

03-10-2006 20:30:51 | More by weeare138
texashammer

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

out of the bottle, pours a brown, some red, medium color, with a good head. smells really richly, of chocolate, fruit, rich and tart. good richness and tartness continues in mouth; full smooth effervesence and body. slightly creamy. really lip-smackin' good.

02-09-2006 13:04:32 | More by texashammer
BillyB

3.73/5  rDev -11%

Dark reddish-brown to brown color. There was a collection of sediment at the bottom of the bottle that floated around when poured.
Fruity and malty aromas. Raisins, plums, black cherries.
Taste is a nice balance of fruit and malt with a sour kick.
Not much carbonation and a nice medium sized off-white head.
Not much bitterness or hop aroma. More fruity and a sweet and sour type taste to it.
Overall quite drinkable.

01-30-2006 21:50:39 | More by BillyB
ohitsbrad

Australia

4.4/5  rDev +5%

30 December 2005, Best Before end 2014 (cork printed 2004)

Appears clear dark brown colour with a medium sized head, reasonable retention and some lacing. The aroma is of sour cherries and apples. The flavour is sweet, malty, fresh, fruity (cherries, rasberries, apples, pears, berries) and complex at first then acidic, sour, tart and irony in the finish. Alcohol is wonderfully hidden. Medium bodied, fizzy and moreish. Obviously similar to Liefmans Kriekbier but with a more dry sour finish as opposed to the sweet cherry flavour. Fantastic and very drinkable beer.

12-31-2005 09:56:03 | More by ohitsbrad
Mandrake

Nova Scotia (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

The capped and corked green bottle says that the beer is best consumed before 2014, and indicates that it was bottled in 2004. Pours a very dark brownish-red. The head builds a darkish tan to about one finger, and dissipates fairly slowly, leaving lots of lacing. Smell is a little medicinal, with a bit of sweetness apparent and some nice spiciness showing beneath the obvious sour plums and cherries. Taste is tart fruitiness upfront, with cherry and woody tones showing up alongside the funky yeast and hint of Brettanomyces. Then the sweetness comes through, a momentary reprieve from the intensely sour opening before the finish comes through, dry and fruity. Mouthfeel is good, well carbonated and sticky at the same time, though maybe a little thin, and drinkability is quite good. Very nice, quintessential example of the style.

12-31-2005 00:56:56 | More by Mandrake
SwillinBrew

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Bought a bottle at Escondido Holiday Wine cellar when I went with IPAviator.

A - A beautiful burnished copper ambrosia filled my Chimay chalice with a solid finer of bne colored head. Quickly dissipated and let a thin ring of head.
S - Raisins, malt, brown sugar possibly, ending with some sour apple.
T - Spiced plums and raisins bordering on currants, like a spiced bread pussing, and ending with a subdued tartness. Overall the experience was like eating a mellow caramel apple at the fair. Sweetness upfront follwed by some tartness. I wish they served this brew at my county fair.
M&Dr - a complex medium bodied brew with mellow carbonation. Good on the palate and in the tummy.

12-11-2005 22:47:41 | More by SwillinBrew
GClarkage

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

12/9/05- Purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle, WA.

Presentation- 12.7 oz bottle which is both corked and caged and wrapped in a nice white wrapper. No freshness info to be found though. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Brown coloring with ruby highlights. 3/4 inch head of which 1/4 inch holds steady the entire way down. Light streak of lace.

Smell- Kind of a light smeller. Had esters of dark fruits (dates, raisins and figs). Caramel malts with some dark chocolate as well.
Didn't really smell sour though.

Taste- Oh wow! Just as an Oud Bruin is supposed to be, I guess. Lovely sweet and sour flavor, with sweet coming into play more than sour. Lots of subtle caramel and toffee flavors and nice amounts of sweet raisins and dates. Maybe a tad of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with a lower to average carbonation level. Makes you salivate for more after each sip.

Drinkability- My favorite Oud Bruin out the the few I've had, hands down. I had a bottle of this last year, but never got to drink it because it fell out of my DBF onto the carpet and broke :( If I ever see it again, there is going to be at least 5-10 bottles going back with me.

12-10-2005 17:06:37 | More by GClarkage
Ieatlambfries

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a big ol' bottle into my Orval chalice.

Appearance is a hazy dark red, no head. No lacing.

To me smells of caramel apples. Very little yeast aroma.

Taste is quite tart. Some reviewers have said lime, although I'd sooner go with sour green apples. Slight caramel and tobacco aftertaste. again yeast is barely detectable. This beer has a distinctive cider like quality.

Mouth feel is surprisingly crisp. again brings to mind cider. Very biting carbonation, I assume from the bottle conditioning.

Drinkability is only hampered by the high abv. Otherwise quite drinkable. Goes down very smooth considering the carbonation. I found it refreshing, which I did not expect.

A great beer with very interesting complex flavors, the first of this style I've tried. Based on this sample I'd try it again.

11-13-2005 19:39:49 | More by Ieatlambfries
DrJay

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Almost no head, this beer poured a hazy ruby red colour with amber highlights. Aromas of tobacco, sour cherry, and leather. Complex flavour with some sourness, tobacco, cherry fruit, and earthy woodiness. The midway point becomes somewhat sweeter and it finishes with considerable malt. Moderately light carbonation, quite dry and lightly puckering. Medium body. Quite a distinctive beer, with a fruity and sour character, and a complex finish. I think I'll have to have this one again.

11-03-2005 03:28:02 | More by DrJay
Frozensoul327

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

WOW. This beer is really, really good. Poured out to a dark red brown color similar to a blood red. Minor notes of lace. Aromas of fermenting cherries, rotted grapes, sweet malts, and a tartness that reminded me of children's candies from years ago. Taste was Exceptional. Flavors of cherries, grapes, sugarcane, malts, spices and herbs blend in a world of perfection. Mouthfeel is heavenly. Smooth, medium bodied, yet reserving enough to fill the palate and keep the drinker begging for more. Execeptional drinkability, I would drink this everyday if it weren't so expensive. The only drawback is that when poured toward the end of the bottle, I got clumps, literally clumps of sediment. Not very appealing, but this beer is so good I totally overlook this fact. World Class Beer. Get this. Go to great lengths if you must; the reward is worth it.

10-16-2005 23:26:52 | More by Frozensoul327