MotherAnimal - Tired Hands Brewing Company

Tired Hands Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: Knapp85 on 01-21-2013

Brewed with Vienna malt, a plethora of caramel malts, and a touch of chocolate malt. Conditioned on locally roasted coffee and Madagascar vanilla beans. Inspired by and brewed with the one and only Hayden McCall.

4.75/5  rDev +35.3%

4.23/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Paid a visit to Tired Hands this evening as Jean and the crew were finishing a chalk caricature to "advertise" one of their newest beers, MotherAnimal. An 11.5% barleywine sounded like it would be nice and toasty on a frigid day like this.

8 oz. glass (I was driving) presented to me by the Magick Man himself.

Poured a deepdeepdeep amber with ample white head. Looked almost like a nitro pour with a serious cascade effect as it settled. DIssipated slowly; the last 1/8 inch seemed to hold on forever.

Smells of toffee and vanilla. A bit of butterscotch in there. Very slight booziness, and maybe a touch of something cherry-almond-ish.

Taste pretty much follows the nose. Toffee and butterscotch. I got far more of the vanilla than the coffee, but it was certainly present. I prefer a malty beer, so this was right up my alley. I was expecting at least a little bit of booziness from a nearly 12% beer, but this went down easy. I could do this all day. I would be hammered, but I could do it.

This beer is maybe a bit thinner than I would expect, but it feels pleasant and velvety going down. The note I made just says "Nerf". I have no idea what I was getting at with that one.

Tired Hands has a very specific modus operandi. They don't make "big" beers that clobber you over the head, but their offerings are always well thought out, slightly offbeat, and imminently drinkable. I have yet to have a bad, or even a mediocre beer from Tired Hands. I'll be back for more MotherAnimal.

Pours a nice copper/amber color, minimal head. Firm notes of sweet, dark caramel, noticeable vanilla, tootsie roll like chocolate with medium roast coffee. Taste mirrors scent, quite sweet, fruity. Medium bodied, heft could be turned up, long lingering sweetness. Good combination of flavors, could be undone by sweetness and body after more than one.

3.78/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap @ Tired Hands. Pours a murky amber/brownish color with a finger or so of rich slightly off-white head. Creamy edges with sticky lace that hangs down the sides. The aroma and taste were both pretty similar, with a lush of combination of toffe, cocoa, acrid roasted coffee, vanilla and a touch of green hops (more so in the taste). The feel is fuller but is extremely smooth for 11-12%. Almost to a ridiculous degree. This is very sweet in spots (strengthened by the alcohol I'm sure) but the hops and coffee helped bring it down as well. The coffee was actually probably the most interesting aspect of this for me. I enjoyed this for the most part but 8oz was plenty during this sitting. I could see this getting a little taxing on the palate if I had gone for more.

3.78/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served on-tap at the brewpub. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours slightly hazy copper brown with a one finger tall white head leaving small trails of lace down part of the glass.

S - Smells of sweet caramel malt, fresh toffee, vanilla, and tons of fresh brewed coffee. The booze creeps in as it warms in the glass, becoming rather apparent toward the end of the glass.

T - Very similar to the nose in that the caramel, toffee, vanilla, try and offset the coffee. I am just not really sure this is a BW. I guess its close enough but it's not what I would expect out of the style...

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Sweet, smooth feel make it go down easy, whatever it is.

O - A pretty nice beer overall, just not sold on it being a BW. I like it but I wouldn't get it again.

MotherAnimal from Tired Hands Brewing Company