2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

MotherAnimal - Tired Hands Brewing Company

MotherAnimal
No picture uploaded.
good

Tired Hands Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

Brewed with Vienna malt, a plethora of caramel malts, and a touch of chocolate malt. Conditioned on locally roasted coffee and Madagascar vanilla beans. Inspired by and brewed with the one and only Hayden McCall.

(Beer added by: Knapp85 on 01-21-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 50 | Reviews: 14 | Show All Ratings:
ShanePB

3.15/5  rDev -11%

Served from a less than two-hour old growler into a tulip.

A: Murky, ruby/brownish colored body with a small off-white head. Not much in the way of lacing or head retention. It just looks sort of... blah.

S: Old coffee beans, not necessarily stale, but not fresh. Vanilla, toffee, caramelized sugar and a big sweet malty base.

T: Fairly malty and sweet up-front. Vanilla and coffee struggle a bit with each other, with the coffee certainly winning. I'd much prefer this to be the opposite; big vanilla with coffee undertones. That said, I enjoy it.

M: A bit thin and watery for such a big Barleywine. Although, this drinks really easy. No detection of the 11.5% ABV.

I'm a bit torn on this one. It really doesn't taste or drink like any Barleywine I've had. The flavors aren't bad, they're just not really honed in. A decent attempt, but no where near as good as most of their other stuff.

Serving type: growler

01-24-2013 14:54:50 | More by ShanePB
ThoreauLikeAGirl

2.65/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

8 oz-ish pour from a growler filled earlier that day at the brewpub.

poured a deep ruby brown in color. a bit murky. not a pretty beer to look at.
light tan creamy head.

smells of burnt sugar, caramel, vanilla, toffee.

the taste is way too sweet. some nice vanilla up front, with lots of fresh coffee as well, but the flavors seem to conflict. some chocolate raisin flavors in the background. overly sweet toffee. again, conflicting with everything else.
i'm concerned that the coffee flavor is going to become stale tasting with time, especially since this beer is also sitting in barrels right now.

the mouthfeel was a bit thin for this style and high abv. i wish it were more full-bodied.

the beer did do a good job of masking the high abv of this. could drink it a lot, if i actually liked this beer. but i don't.

definitely my least favorite beer by them (not counting the gluten-free one). i feel like they have mastered certain styles, and that they should stick with what they're good at.

Serving type: growler

01-24-2013 14:14:12 | More by ThoreauLikeAGirl
oline73

Maryland

3.49/5  rDev -1.4%

I had this on-tap at the brewpub. The beer pours a cloudy reddish amber color with a layer of creamy off white head. The smell is weird. It is sweet with a slight tart note. I'm getting some coffee as well, but I'm not a fan of the smell. The taste is much better than the smell. I'm getting the coffee with a touch of dark fruit. The beer is a bit nutty, so it reminds me of an amped up coffee brown ale.

02-19-2013 00:52:14 | More by oline73
Kegatron

3.78/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap @ Tired Hands. Pours a murky amber/brownish color with a finger or so of rich slightly off-white head. Creamy edges with sticky lace that hangs down the sides. The aroma and taste were both pretty similar, with a lush of combination of toffe, cocoa, acrid roasted coffee, vanilla and a touch of green hops (more so in the taste). The feel is fuller but is extremely smooth for 11-12%. Almost to a ridiculous degree. This is very sweet in spots (strengthened by the alcohol I'm sure) but the hops and coffee helped bring it down as well. The coffee was actually probably the most interesting aspect of this for me. I enjoyed this for the most part but 8oz was plenty during this sitting. I could see this getting a little taxing on the palate if I had gone for more.

02-12-2013 18:09:36 | More by Kegatron
rfgetz

Pours a nice copper/amber color, minimal head. Firm notes of sweet, dark caramel, noticeable vanilla, tootsie roll like chocolate with medium roast coffee. Taste mirrors scent, quite sweet, fruity. Medium bodied, heft could be turned up, long lingering sweetness. Good combination of flavors, could be undone by sweetness and body after more than one.

02-11-2013 15:41:56 | More by rfgetz
ColForbinBC

3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

On-tap at the brewpub

The body sits a ruddy mahogany with a thin, creamy off-white cap. A little bit of lace reveals the sip marks.

Really sweet nose. Loads of caramel and toffee aromas with vanilla, brown sugar, and just a faint hint of coffee.

Flavors are a little all over the place. Caramel and toffee throughout with vanilla, brown sugar, stone fruit, coffee and cocoa seem to pop up here and there. There's really no confluence of flavors. This doesn't taste bad, it just doesn't have a direction.

Residual sugar and all of the caramel malt gives this a sticky feel. Low carbonation. Medium to full body.

This is an odd American take on a Barleywine. It's real sweet and a little all over the place.

02-11-2013 15:19:36 | More by ColForbinBC
xnicknj

3.2/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

on tap at the brewpub

Slightly hazed ruddy, reddish color with a beige head sitting on top. Fades into a few patches of lacing with a collar of film.

Plenty of coffee and sweet vanilla aromas with caramel and bready malts. Alcoholic presence and a spike of hops.

Hoppy and sweet up front, followed by a wave of vanilla bean. Coffee beans with roasted malts, caramel and bread crust. Brown sugar and boozy warmth. Finishes a little hot and sweet with piny hops.

Lighter medium body, softer carbonation, definitely thin for the style. I was pretty psyched for this one, but it was definitely a bit too sweet and watery for my tastes. I'm curious to see how the barrel aged versions turn out.

02-10-2013 17:29:51 | More by xnicknj
orangesol

3.78/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served on-tap at the brewpub. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours slightly hazy copper brown with a one finger tall white head leaving small trails of lace down part of the glass.

S - Smells of sweet caramel malt, fresh toffee, vanilla, and tons of fresh brewed coffee. The booze creeps in as it warms in the glass, becoming rather apparent toward the end of the glass.

T - Very similar to the nose in that the caramel, toffee, vanilla, try and offset the coffee. I am just not really sure this is a BW. I guess its close enough but it's not what I would expect out of the style...

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Sweet, smooth feel make it go down easy, whatever it is.

O - A pretty nice beer overall, just not sold on it being a BW. I like it but I wouldn't get it again.

01-29-2013 20:05:07 | More by orangesol
Rifugium

3.05/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

First had: on tap at Tired Hands

Hazy mahogany pour, capped with a small beige head that sank to a ringlet; minimal lacing. Aroma of toasted grains, caramel, roasted coffee, light vanilla essence, and a subtle indistinct fruit presence. I actually got coffee grounds right up front in the taste, a tea-like astringency, caramel and vanilla sweetness were more secondary factors, but definitely present. Speaking in a constructive criticism sort of way, this really had none of the rich, full flavors I like in my barleywines, and in my opinion, the coffee was definitely a major, major flaw in the taste department. Additionally, the mouthfeel was very weak and light for the style, strange considering the higher ABV, which was relatively well-hidden as far as heat goes. Overall, not undrinkable, but not great, and I'm pretty glad I only got a small pour (and had someone to share it with).

01-29-2013 06:31:44 | More by Rifugium
inlimbo77

Delaware

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4oz taster pour
1/24/13 at Ardmore, PA brewpub

A: Burnt amber color. Murky. Can't see through it. Faint layer of head. Some sticky lacing bits.

S: Mostly toffee. Not as much coffee and vanilla as I was expecting. Smells overly sweet.

T: Sort of disappointed in this one. It's good some nice smells and flavors going on, but misses the mark with certain aspects.

M: Large medium. Carbonation is a little low.

01-28-2013 18:54:05 | More by inlimbo77
Retail1LO

3.6/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Had on draft at tired hands. Pours a ruddy shade of reddish brown with a nice two finger head. Nose is lush with vanilla and a dark fruit sweetness. Was hoping to catch more of the coffee, but it's pretty faint. Not surprising considering how little coffee was really used. Would've liked more. The taste was very vanilla forward, with more dark fruit. Some form of cherry is present as well, but I'm not sure the origin of it. The mouthfeel left something to be desired, but it wasn't a total downer. For a beer over 11%, the finish isn't nearly as boozy as I'd have expected. Overall, there are a few things that could have been resulted better than they did, but I still enjoyed it. Not my favorite Tired Hands beer, not my least favorite. Either.

01-24-2013 18:31:21 | More by Retail1LO
KungFuMike

New Hampshire

2.14/5  rDev -39.5%

A: Thin head, amber/ruby body -- pretty much what I expect from an American barleywine. No fireworks or anything.

S: It smelled light and sweet with hints of caramel, stone fruit and malt. Almost like a wee heavy or a Scotch ale. Nothing to write home about.

T: On one hand, I want to say this beer is under-attenuated because of its residual sweetness. On the other hand, I want to say it's over-attenuated because of it's overly thin body. The taste does follow the nose though; light malt, stone fruit (cherries?) and an almost hazelnut note at the end. Just "blah" all around, really.

M: Thin; far too thin for its own good. Definitely a detriment.

O: I love Tired Hands, but this beer bummed me out. I didn't even bother finishing the glass before ordering my next beer. I'm glad I was able to land the tick, but I definitely won't seek it out again and I won't recommend it to others.

01-24-2013 14:00:29 | More by KungFuMike
ForkAndSpoonOp

4.23/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Paid a visit to Tired Hands this evening as Jean and the crew were finishing a chalk caricature to "advertise" one of their newest beers, MotherAnimal. An 11.5% barleywine sounded like it would be nice and toasty on a frigid day like this.

8 oz. glass (I was driving) presented to me by the Magick Man himself.

Poured a deepdeepdeep amber with ample white head. Looked almost like a nitro pour with a serious cascade effect as it settled. DIssipated slowly; the last 1/8 inch seemed to hold on forever.

Smells of toffee and vanilla. A bit of butterscotch in there. Very slight booziness, and maybe a touch of something cherry-almond-ish.

Taste pretty much follows the nose. Toffee and butterscotch. I got far more of the vanilla than the coffee, but it was certainly present. I prefer a malty beer, so this was right up my alley. I was expecting at least a little bit of booziness from a nearly 12% beer, but this went down easy. I could do this all day. I would be hammered, but I could do it.

This beer is maybe a bit thinner than I would expect, but it feels pleasant and velvety going down. The note I made just says "Nerf". I have no idea what I was getting at with that one.

Tired Hands has a very specific modus operandi. They don't make "big" beers that clobber you over the head, but their offerings are always well thought out, slightly offbeat, and imminently drinkable. I have yet to have a bad, or even a mediocre beer from Tired Hands. I'll be back for more MotherAnimal.

01-23-2013 01:10:59 | More by ForkAndSpoonOp
Knapp85

2.68/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured out as a deep amber color with a bit of haze to it. The head was cream colored and thick looking. The retention was decent as well as some moderate lacing on the glass as well. The smell of the beer is sweet. The aromas of the vanilla and coffee pop pretty well here with some subtle notes of chocolate in there as well. The taste was a little off on the first sip. Wasn't sure if I liked it much right away. As I drank it the flavors balanced a little more and it was much easier to drink. The sweetness of the beer is pretty high, the vanilla adds most of it I think in my opinion. The coffee adds a touch of bitterness but not quite enough. The mouthfeel of the beer was a little on the thinner side which I was hoping that it would be a much heavier beer coming out at almost 12%. Overall the beer should be treated more as a dessert or nightcap type of beer for the level of sweetness it has. It's worth trying but I didn't feel the need to fill any growlers of it before I left.

01-21-2013 18:13:36 | More by Knapp85