MotherAnimal - Tired Hands Brewing Company

good

Tired Hands Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

Brewed with Vienna malt, a plethora of caramel malts, and a touch of chocolate malt. Conditioned on locally roasted coffee and Madagascar vanilla beans. Inspired by and brewed with the one and only Hayden McCall.

(Beer added by: Knapp85 on 01-21-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

01-31-2013 23:10:18 | More by callmemickey
orangesol

3.78/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served on-tap at the brewpub. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours slightly hazy copper brown with a one finger tall white head leaving small trails of lace down part of the glass.

S - Smells of sweet caramel malt, fresh toffee, vanilla, and tons of fresh brewed coffee. The booze creeps in as it warms in the glass, becoming rather apparent toward the end of the glass.

T - Very similar to the nose in that the caramel, toffee, vanilla, try and offset the coffee. I am just not really sure this is a BW. I guess its close enough but it's not what I would expect out of the style...

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Sweet, smooth feel make it go down easy, whatever it is.

O - A pretty nice beer overall, just not sold on it being a BW. I like it but I wouldn't get it again.

01-29-2013 20:05:07 | More by orangesol
chefmonty

01-29-2013 13:25:18 | More by chefmonty
Rifugium

3.05/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

First had: on tap at Tired Hands

Hazy mahogany pour, capped with a small beige head that sank to a ringlet; minimal lacing. Aroma of toasted grains, caramel, roasted coffee, light vanilla essence, and a subtle indistinct fruit presence. I actually got coffee grounds right up front in the taste, a tea-like astringency, caramel and vanilla sweetness were more secondary factors, but definitely present. Speaking in a constructive criticism sort of way, this really had none of the rich, full flavors I like in my barleywines, and in my opinion, the coffee was definitely a major, major flaw in the taste department. Additionally, the mouthfeel was very weak and light for the style, strange considering the higher ABV, which was relatively well-hidden as far as heat goes. Overall, not undrinkable, but not great, and I'm pretty glad I only got a small pour (and had someone to share it with).

01-29-2013 06:31:44 | More by Rifugium
inlimbo77

Delaware

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4oz taster pour
1/24/13 at Ardmore, PA brewpub

A: Burnt amber color. Murky. Can't see through it. Faint layer of head. Some sticky lacing bits.

S: Mostly toffee. Not as much coffee and vanilla as I was expecting. Smells overly sweet.

T: Sort of disappointed in this one. It's good some nice smells and flavors going on, but misses the mark with certain aspects.

M: Large medium. Carbonation is a little low.

01-28-2013 18:54:05 | More by inlimbo77

01-25-2013 03:02:18 | More by meatyard
Retail1LO

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Had on draft at tired hands. Pours a ruddy shade of reddish brown with a nice two finger head. Nose is lush with vanilla and a dark fruit sweetness. Was hoping to catch more of the coffee, but it's pretty faint. Not surprising considering how little coffee was really used. Would've liked more. The taste was very vanilla forward, with more dark fruit. Some form of cherry is present as well, but I'm not sure the origin of it. The mouthfeel left something to be desired, but it wasn't a total downer. For a beer over 11%, the finish isn't nearly as boozy as I'd have expected. Overall, there are a few things that could have been resulted better than they did, but I still enjoyed it. Not my favorite Tired Hands beer, not my least favorite. Either.

01-24-2013 18:31:21 | More by Retail1LO
ShanePB

3.15/5  rDev -10%

Served from a less than two-hour old growler into a tulip.

A: Murky, ruby/brownish colored body with a small off-white head. Not much in the way of lacing or head retention. It just looks sort of... blah.

S: Old coffee beans, not necessarily stale, but not fresh. Vanilla, toffee, caramelized sugar and a big sweet malty base.

T: Fairly malty and sweet up-front. Vanilla and coffee struggle a bit with each other, with the coffee certainly winning. I'd much prefer this to be the opposite; big vanilla with coffee undertones. That said, I enjoy it.

M: A bit thin and watery for such a big Barleywine. Although, this drinks really easy. No detection of the 11.5% ABV.

I'm a bit torn on this one. It really doesn't taste or drink like any Barleywine I've had. The flavors aren't bad, they're just not really honed in. A decent attempt, but no where near as good as most of their other stuff.

Serving type: growler

01-24-2013 14:54:50 | More by ShanePB
ThoreauLikeAGirl

2.65/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

8 oz-ish pour from a growler filled earlier that day at the brewpub.

poured a deep ruby brown in color. a bit murky. not a pretty beer to look at.
light tan creamy head.

smells of burnt sugar, caramel, vanilla, toffee.

the taste is way too sweet. some nice vanilla up front, with lots of fresh coffee as well, but the flavors seem to conflict. some chocolate raisin flavors in the background. overly sweet toffee. again, conflicting with everything else.
i'm concerned that the coffee flavor is going to become stale tasting with time, especially since this beer is also sitting in barrels right now.

the mouthfeel was a bit thin for this style and high abv. i wish it were more full-bodied.

the beer did do a good job of masking the high abv of this. could drink it a lot, if i actually liked this beer. but i don't.

definitely my least favorite beer by them (not counting the gluten-free one). i feel like they have mastered certain styles, and that they should stick with what they're good at.

Serving type: growler

01-24-2013 14:14:12 | More by ThoreauLikeAGirl
KungFuMike

New Hampshire

2.14/5  rDev -38.9%

A: Thin head, amber/ruby body -- pretty much what I expect from an American barleywine. No fireworks or anything.

S: It smelled light and sweet with hints of caramel, stone fruit and malt. Almost like a wee heavy or a Scotch ale. Nothing to write home about.

T: On one hand, I want to say this beer is under-attenuated because of its residual sweetness. On the other hand, I want to say it's over-attenuated because of it's overly thin body. The taste does follow the nose though; light malt, stone fruit (cherries?) and an almost hazelnut note at the end. Just "blah" all around, really.

M: Thin; far too thin for its own good. Definitely a detriment.

O: I love Tired Hands, but this beer bummed me out. I didn't even bother finishing the glass before ordering my next beer. I'm glad I was able to land the tick, but I definitely won't seek it out again and I won't recommend it to others.

01-24-2013 14:00:29 | More by KungFuMike
SPRichard

01-23-2013 22:44:48 | More by SPRichard
Holland

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

01-23-2013 19:57:40 | More by Holland
ForkAndSpoonOp

4.23/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Paid a visit to Tired Hands this evening as Jean and the crew were finishing a chalk caricature to "advertise" one of their newest beers, MotherAnimal. An 11.5% barleywine sounded like it would be nice and toasty on a frigid day like this.

8 oz. glass (I was driving) presented to me by the Magick Man himself.

Poured a deepdeepdeep amber with ample white head. Looked almost like a nitro pour with a serious cascade effect as it settled. DIssipated slowly; the last 1/8 inch seemed to hold on forever.

Smells of toffee and vanilla. A bit of butterscotch in there. Very slight booziness, and maybe a touch of something cherry-almond-ish.

Taste pretty much follows the nose. Toffee and butterscotch. I got far more of the vanilla than the coffee, but it was certainly present. I prefer a malty beer, so this was right up my alley. I was expecting at least a little bit of booziness from a nearly 12% beer, but this went down easy. I could do this all day. I would be hammered, but I could do it.

This beer is maybe a bit thinner than I would expect, but it feels pleasant and velvety going down. The note I made just says "Nerf". I have no idea what I was getting at with that one.

Tired Hands has a very specific modus operandi. They don't make "big" beers that clobber you over the head, but their offerings are always well thought out, slightly offbeat, and imminently drinkable. I have yet to have a bad, or even a mediocre beer from Tired Hands. I'll be back for more MotherAnimal.

01-23-2013 01:10:59 | More by ForkAndSpoonOp