Mago Tago - Tired Hands Brewing Company

No picture.

Tired Hands Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BARFLYB on 03-18-2013

Progressively hopped with the all-mighty Simcoe. Conditioned on heaps of fresh mango.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

Arugably top 5 DIPAs ever. Bursting with juicy mango and intense hops that leave you begging for me of this perfectly composed beer. Absolutely perfect, super hazy and dripping with fruit.

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

This is my first review, so I wanted to make it a special one. I think this is my favorite Tired Hands beer. It was absolutely delicious. Had on tap at the Brewery in an 8 oz pour.

A: It looks like a faded orange juice. You can't see through it at all. A light head with nice lacing and a little bit of retention.

S: Mango, a little bit of lemon zest, sweetness, and a little bit of hops. The mango smell is the main scent you get. It really smells fantastic. I spent about 30 seconds just sniffing it before I had my first sip.

T: The taste is like the smell. The first thing I tasted was fresh mango flavor, followed by the IPA . There isn't all that much bitterness, but you can tell you're drinking an IPA. Overall, this beer just tastes delicious.

M: Not overly carbonated. Smooth without any kind of burn. I don't get any of the 7.8% in this.

O: My favorite Tired Hands beer. I was lucky enough to get a growler of this and it didn't last more than a day. Its a shame I'll probably never get to have it again. I almost wish this came out in the summer, so I could drink this out on the porch.

4.81/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Batch 2, which I understand has more mosaic hops than Simcoe. Poured from a 750 swingtop into a Tired Hands taster.

Appearance is cloudy, slight milkiness. Great orange/sunset color. Very little head, and what is there dissolves quickly. No lacing.

Huge nose of tropical fruits and mango, balanced by slight piney hops and a noticeable but mellow malt backbone. Taste follows. Huge flavors of mango, pineapple, slight citrus zest. Quite sweet relative to TH's other IPAs, but in a very pleasant way, although I think maybe there is slightly more residual sugar than intended. Very low carbonation, the mouthfeel is what really gets me with this one. Thick and full, slight creaminess, but still light enough to be refreshing. Lingering mango hops in the finish, with just barely a hint of oxidation (probably from it being a 10-day old growler).

One of the best IPAs/DIPAs I've ever had, maybe THE best.

4.73/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a beautiful light Orange juice color with Mild carbonation. Nose of fresh mangos. Very easy to drink. I wouldn't change a thing about this brew! Lots of mangos!

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This one is good enough that I had to write a review.

I love living 15 minutes from Tired Hands.

I got a growler filled and shared it 2 hours later.

Pours a hazy lighter yellow. Nice head small amount of lacing. Looks Heady topper hazy but a little lighter. I love the look of it because anything that looks like Heady has to be good.

Smell.- Awesome. Mango, orange, hops. Unbelievable. Almost perfect. If I had it on draft I imagine this would get a 5.0

Taste - When I drank my first drink I said wow. Its amazing. It probably deserves a 5. Tastes like orange/mango juice with hops. Sick sick beer Jean. This is one of the best IPA's I've ever had. I could chug 2 growlers of this. No hint of the almost 8%. From start to finish this is the juiciest IPA i have ever had.

Mouthfeel - as usual They knocked the mouthfeel out of the park. Its creamy and just as most of TH beers the carbonation level is perfect. Even out of the growler its beautiful

Overall - Best beer Tired Hands has made to date by a good bit. Not saying that their other beers are not great this one is just that good. This and Handfarm are the 2 best beers I have had this year so far. I sound like a fanboy right now but I have not loved all their beers. I might have to get another growler tomorrow just in case this never shows up again in this beautiful form.

Thank you.

4.64/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This amazing beer and phishphorce inspired me to write my own review.

Had it on tap as well but this review is from my growler fill since it was a few days ago that I had it on tap.

A: Appearance is cloudy pale yellow/orange with a thin layer of head. It's an amazing looking beer. Assuming the wheat malt bill is what is making this beer cloudy in appearance. You cannot see through it at all. Nice lacing throughout the tasting. Wish I could post the picture I took of this beer.

S: Wow! One of the best smelling beers I've ever come accross. Definitely a ton of mango in the aroma, but I'm also getting oranges, citrus zest, citrusy hops. It's smells like a mango flavored orange juice with a nice subtle citrusy hop aroma. Don't think I've ever had a beer like this where I was smelling it before each sip.

T: All the same flavors I was getting in the aroma, but definitely getting more citrusy hops in the taste but still pretty subtle. It's just enough to add bitterness and let you know its an IPA. Think it offsets a little bit of the sweetness you get from the mangos. Definitely getting more mangos up front especially when it's cold, but as it warms the orange flavor takes over. Just a joy from start to finish. Such a juicy IPA, although not quite as juicy as The Light That Spills Out of The Hole In Your Head. Yes I know that's considered a pale ale. As with all of Tired Hands beers this one is smooth despite the reasonably high alcohol content (8%). I could drink this every day. Especially in the warmer months.

M: Lightly carbonated (perfectly) as are all of Tired Hands beers. Again super smooth on the mouth. Just feels great going down.

O: Tired Hands did it again. They were going for a Hoppy Mango Juice and they got just that. Absolutely amazing beer. Think it's 2nd to The Light That Spills, but I wish I could drink both on a regular basis. Hope this is brewed again when the weather warms, and hopefully one day it will be on tap with The Light That Spills. Would love to drink them both side by side.

4.56/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From 03/24/13 notes. Had a 16 oz. pour of this at the brewpub in Ardmore, PA and liked it so much I got a growler of it as well.

a - Pours a murky, pale orange-yellow color with two fingers of fluffy white head and low carbonation evident.

s - Smells of fresh juicy mangos, citrus hops, pine hops, lemon zest, floral hops, tropical fruits, fruity malts, earthy notes, hay, and grass. The nose on this one is fantastic; tons of fresh mangos and tropical fruits, and tons of hops as well. Really great nose.

t - Tastes of fresh mangos again, tropical fruits, citrus hops, lemon, pine hops, fruity malts, yeast, spice, pepper, hay, grass, eathy notes. Mango isn't quite as strong as it was in the nose, but a ton of hops again and it is great.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. As with every other Tired Hands beer I've had so far, the body is super smooth and creamy. No bitterness; awesome mouthfeel.

o - Overall I thought this was a fantastic DIPA. This is the best Tired Hands beer I've had so far out of the 6 or 7 I've tried, and one of the best East Coast DIPA's I've had. Tons of fresh mangos and hops to it, and easy to drink. Loved it and look forward to having it again.

4.56/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured in a tulip very cloudy orange. Smell-mangos and more mangos with also some very faint rye malt. Taste -very bitter on the tongue with a good dose of pineapple,grapefruit peel and loads of orange peel nobreally mangoes in the taste ..bitter at first but one of the best smoothest IPA's I ever had the mango works very will the this brew no 7.8% at all

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap @ Monks Café in Philly
Poured into a pint glass.

HUGE mango on the nose. Some underlining dankness from the simcoe. The taste follows. Mango, sweet orange, dank, pine, and a little hit of bitterness on the back end. An extremely good tasting IPA. No hint what-so-ever of the 7.8%. Tired Hands continues to impress.

4.51/5  rDev +3.4%

Tired Hands Brewing Company is a small microbrew pub just outside of Philadelphia that was just rated as the #2 new brewery in the world by RateBeer.com. I had to check it out and give their lineup a try to see if it lived up to the hype. I was not disappointed! They don’t bottle and have little, if any distribution, so good luck getting your hands on some of this unless you get out to the pub. The beers were all well above average and the food, atmosphere and workers were great too. Check out their website, and I encourage a visit anytime you get out towards Philly.

This brew is an American IPA with mangos called Mago Tago, that was a brewpub only release, and it only lasted a couple of days. I just happened to stop in when it was available, and after trying it, I had to take some home! The brewer must be into obscure progressive rock, the name of this brew has to be an homage to the German rock group Can’s album Tago Mago. Here is my take on this glorious beer!

Apperance: It pours to a very cloudy, opaque straw yellow color with a bright white 1″ head, with tight bubbles that dropped down fairly quickly to about 1/4″ and stayed there through the rest of the beer, hanging on to the side of the glass, lacing like a quality Belgian Ale.

Aroma: It’s a full-on frontal assault with ripe mango and tropical hop aroma hitting hard in the beginning, some sweet candied orange, a slight alcohol warmth, a light breadiness and some sour notes that I can only attribute to the fruit or wheat used when brewing. It wasn’t off-putting at all, just minor background I picked up after swirling the beer a little.

Flavor:The sweet mango comes first again followed by a crisp tropical hop bite and a little sweet malt and wheat. A mild bitterness from the hops and low alcohol warmth hang on the back for just the right amount of time, creating a fantastic balanced finish. Finally, there is a pleasant tropical fruity tartness that stays on your tongue.

Mouthfeel: It has a very creamy mouthfeel from the wheat used in the brewing process, high carbonation and very dry finish. There is also a mild astringency caused by the fruit, but works perfectly with the medium body and dryness overall.

Overall: Tremendous balance in this brew, with the mango and tropical hops leading the way, the creamy texture and high carbonation brought it all together, toning down any bitterness and making this a special beer that I hope to see Tired Hands expand its production and maybe bottle for sale in the future. Think Zombie Dust or Alpha King by 3 Floyds Brewing Company with the perfect mix of mangos! Awesome Stuff!

4.51/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Review from notes with help from a growler of Mosiac Mago Tago.

A- A fairly hazy golden straw color with a two finger head.

S- Mangos, dank, citrus.

T- Mango, tropical fruits, slightly dank finish, faint citrus, hint of wheat.

M- Smooth, medium body, nice carbonation.

O- A very well done mango IPA, definitely agree with the amount of hype around this beer. Had this along side regular Mago and the only real difference is the aroma, mosaic is a little fruitier and less dank but they are flavor wise the same beer. Worth picking up if you are in the area.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2-liter growler into a matching Tired hands oversized wine glass. Cheers and thanks go to Eagles22 for sharing this one with me. The brew pours a clouded golden yellow color with a frothy white head. Some sudsy lace clings to the glass.

The aroma of this brew is fruity as all hell. It displays an awesome quality of tropical notes. Hints of grass, herbs, rindy components and even a mild fruity alcohol to floral component thrown in for good measure. I know this brew was aged over mangos but it doesnt really come forward all that much like a fruit beer, the hops are the star of the nose and enjoyably so.

The flavor is herbal and grassy. Some tropical fruit feel with a rindy bitterness. A soft amount of wheat inclusion and mild grainy sweetness provides a nice backbone for the hops to really springboard off. Plenty of lingering bitterness almost reminescent of grapefruit or orange juice that includes the pith.

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. Overall a fantastic brew that was a pleasure to drink. I am appreciative of the share and could have effortlessly tanked the 2-liters myself. I dont want to sound too much like a dick but...in a sea of over-hyped and less than thrilling offerings that I got to try from this brewery, this beer is fucking legit. Not only was the brew awesome but the growler was appropriately filled/carbonated for once!!!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful cloudy apricot yellow, solid frothy white head.

Nose is loaded with sweet tropical fruit, pineapples and mangos, some dank hop character, mild bitterness.

Taste is very sweet and fruity, mangos of course, some honey, some floral notes, mild bitterness, fantastic.

Mouthfeel is very slick and juice like, good carbonation too though, very drinkable.

Excellent! Almost as good as The Light That Spills...

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at the brewpub served in an 8 oz stemmed glass chilled.

The color is very hazed golden with orange hues when held to thelight with thick frothy head, the beer is almost green hued becuase of the high hop dosage and suspended hop particulate - fresh! The smell is like fresh squeezed citrus infused with the sweet tropical juicy mango aroma and some strong hop odors which are both floral and have the simcoe stamp on them. The feel is great - excellent blend of hops and mango tangy & juicy texture with moderate bitterness and medium carbonation with light astringency and only gets grassy as it finished with low alcohol in the feel.

The taste of this Mango Imperial IPA is great it walks the fruit and Hoppy ale line with more hops than mango in the taste however the mango provides a nice fruit accent. The Simcoe is high in the taste with mild astringent element with a slight mango flavor to soften with a bitter jab in the dry fruity finish. Overall I really loved this enough to share a growler with my wife and friends the next day - plenty of hops yet a mango twist -well done Tired Hands!

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is delicious, the mango is there, but it doesn't overpower anything. Still some solid grassy hop flavor as well is a lighter citrus like lemon showing up.

a: hazy, can't see through this glass. its a light straw yellow, not that golden color you normally attribute to an IPA. solid lacing and a fading head that remains in small amounts the whole way.

s: mango, lemon, grassy, little sweetness. great nose on this beer.

t: like the smell, this beer is a not so bitter ipa lending some sweetness from the mango that pairs well with the hops. no malt. not that i notice at all.

m: carbonation matches the head, pretty low but it really does remind you of a juice with the taste.

o: i loved this...enough to fill three growlers. enjoying one now. not the most hoppy ipa ever, but its a very well executed idea. the mango and the mango flavor profile hops did well together.

4.44/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On Tap at The Brew Cafe in Ardmore.

Mago Tago looks like juice, not the normal golden colored IPA, Tago has depth and a solid orange slightly bronze body. A firm head that is creamy and off white and clings very nice. The scent is Mango rich, some hop backing, orange and really no malt to speak of, guessing the mango addition phased that out. Not picking up any of that 7% in the nose. Taste is clean, rich and ripe with mango flavor, hop essence and not a lot of intrusion. The feel comes off really smooth, does not scorch the tounge with bitterness or over carbonation, goes down like juice. If this was a bit lower in ABV I could take down quite a bit of this stuff. Going to have to get this again before it kicks.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap today at Tired Hands, 8 oz pour.

A - Very, very cloudy pale yellow/orange. Through a combination of hop haze and mango juice, you can't see through this one at all.

S - Smells like mango juice run through a hop Randall. Yes please. :)

T - Mangoes to the face! Seriously, an awesome citrus assault with a great hop profile. Not boozy at all at almost 8%, I could drink it all day.

M - Perfectly carbonated (as mostly everything on tap at Tired Hands is) with a stickiness from the citrus and hops. Think Heady Topper mouthfeel.

O - A damn fine beer, and probably my favorite Tired Hands IPA to date. Well done, Jean and Co.

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip. Pours an extremely hazy...well... mango color. Bright white and fluffy heady after the initial pour. Leaves decent lacing throughout the tasting,subtle globs of goodness. But damn this is some hazy stuff.

Smell is mostly of sweet sugar and a nice touch of mango. Aroma hops are very bright and green here. Beautiful piney and fruity notes with a touch of lemon zest.

Taste is bitter right from the get go. So much it attacks the tongue immediately and leaves a heavy hop linger. Mango follows that up with a sweet sugary kiss on the finish.

Mouth is medium bodied, good carbonation. Good balance not to syrupy and not to watery just about perefect. Slight buttery slickness film left in the mouth.

I was a little hesitant on a fruity IPA but overall a solid offering from tired hands. A delicious hoppy and fruity mango ipa combo. Very sneaky ABV as well. It simply does not taste like a 7.8% beer.

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Medium straw-colored body with a slight bit of haze, but mostly transparent. Bone white head that settles quickly and leaves a thin ring of bubbles. Aroma is tropical fruit, unripe mangoes, citrus, fresh grass. Mango comes through very nicely in the flavor. Big juicy mango and tropical fruit, citrus in the middle and finished with some citrus and danky hop flavor. Feel is medium carbonation, very juicy, sticky lingering juiciness on the tongue. A really solid fruited IPA. I was expecting a little more "in your face" mango, but this one has get flavor and a really great hop profile.

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome growler want hit by Al....man thank you so much! Growler opened within minutes of landing on my porch.

Pours a massive cloudy yellow with orange highlights. Loads of hop particulates float lazily throughout. Carbonation is thankfully solid after a week and the surface shows big soapy white bubbles.

Smell is of big sugary mangoes...nice and fleshy and ripe. Hops lay down an herbal and piney element along with some additional sweet fruits on the periphery.

Similar to the smell, the mango presence is large and in charge and shows sweet and sticky. The hops wrap themselves around and plant a tight bitter fang into the scrumptious fruit. Moderate pine bitterness tags along towards the finish and rides the coattails of the lingering mango sweetness.

Mouthfeel is supple and the carbonation helps keep the beer from becoming to sticky sweet on the tongue, though the residual sugary and plush flavors from the mango just stick to the palate and linger a good long while.

There is a dangerous element of desirability and crushability here that could do some damage to my afternoon and mental capacities. That said, I could see how some could say that a single glass would do the trick and the flavors could become cumbersome.

Tons of mango, tons of hops, tons of fun....thank you Al!

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a growler, chilled well and opened less than 3 hours from being tapped into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Bright brassy, very clear and nearly straw colored. Lemon bright yellow body, almost lager adjunct looking, but with a nice amount of pin head carbonation rising slowly in clumps and chunks through the middle. Head is very little retention and makes barely a finger of white bleach presence. Settles to a soapy bubbled collar rather shortly.

Excellent hop aroma. Citrus but with candy like oils, and perfume aromas. Orange and mint, lemon and passion fruit like qualities, tropical and juicy to go along with it. Smells almost like those powdered lemon candy drops with perhaps a touch of tropical mango added in with them as well that starts to take over. Fantastic aroma.

Palate comes with a big impressive controlled hop flavor. Juicy front, almost bursting on first sip. Flavors of mango and tropical notes take off but with a very candy sweetness follows as well. Juicy finish takes it from there as well, but leaves just a little bit of lacking malt oomph to carry and make it take off. fruity finish with very little bitterness, but an almost sucrose like Belgian character that comes off like a bit of bubbled champagne Chardonnay like grape quality but far sweeter. Weird oily finish, and aroma seems to bring out a weird dominant candy like smell that takes over.

This is really impressive, but it's also just a bit far too sweet strangely for my tastes. If that was dialed down and given just a little more body this has the making of something really impressive.

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Decide this was a must half after MJMaden's Instagram.. Luckily a generous BA coincidentally recently banned for saying "mead" had an extra growler available since it had kicked at the pub. Thanks Matt!

A: Poured into my 3F Teku, has a nice hazy orange color, not a ton of carb on this one, but left a white head that lingered for a bit.

S: I'm a little congested so I feel like I'm not getting everything. A nice floral bouquet, some tropical grapefruit/mango/lemon zest.

T: All the smells come through on the taste. Very well balanced and finishes clean, no real lingering hoppy bitterness which is nice especially given the 7.8% abv.

M: I feel like this growler is a little undercarbed, but still good.

O: Very solid brew, glad I was able to try it. I didnt really get the Mango/Orange Juice flavored IPA I thought I might - it reminded me a lot of some Lawson's IPAs I've had recently which certainly shows the caliber we're working with. Looking forward to trying more brews from Tired Hands.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

32oz growler poured into a Tired Hands teku glass.

Appearance: Pours a light orange color with 2 fingers of a white head that eventually settles to a thick collar. Decent head retention and lacing. Body is extremely cloudy, to the point of being nearly opaque.

Smell: Mango, pine, dank hops, slightly grassy, tropical fruit, orange.

Taste: Piney, dank hops hit the palate first before yielding to mango, citrus and tropical fruit in the finish. Overall very dry, but with a slight sweetness and astringency. Aftertaste is almost all mango and citrus and lingers long after the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a soft creamy mouthfeel and medium levels of gently carbonation.

Overall: Really good beer, but still ranks behind Such Passion for the spot as my favorite Tired Hands IPA. Still well worth seeking out though.

4.31/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First had: growler from TH

Poured a sample into a Left Hand mini snifter...not sure why. Opaque peach-yellow color, like grapefruit juice, with a thin, foamy white cap of head; nice lacing. Aroma is simply mango-laden, with notes of citrus zest, hop bitterness. Fruity mango goodness in the taste, but it doesn't come through as good as it does in the nose; an obvious hop bitterness comes in shortly after, leaving no doubt that this is an IPA; there's also a slight underlying grassy touch. A well-rounded IPA overall, with any sweetness coming from the fruit, and the malts being almost undetectable. It's not a fruit juice, it's an IPA. Light-medium body, crisp, dry, easily drinkable. Very nice overall. Would make a great summer brew.

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out as a cloudy yellowish orange color with a thin white head on top. Good sticky lacing but not much retention. The smell of the beer is hoppy, subtle sweetness and citrusy. The taste is sweet and fruity with a pungent bitterness I the finish. The wheat softens the mouthfeel of this beer while the hops dry it out. The carbonation is good. Overall it's a very good beer, well balanced and very refreshing.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast