5 Out Of 5 - Tired Hands Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Tired Hands Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Imperial Stout brewed with cacao, peanut butter, marshmallow, PA maple syrup, vanilla beans, and One Village Coffee espresso beans.

(Beer added by: HoppyKilaMonster on 06-25-2013)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.45/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

64oz growler. HUGE thanks to Stakem for gifting me with the remnants of this. Pours black with a thin mocha head. Just some thin ringing around the edges for retention and lace. Pretty dead looking overall. The aroma is a rich mix of coffee, caramel, cocoa and vanilla. A dark fruit component is sticking out to me as well. I’m even getting a bit of that peanut flavor. This is mostly sweet in the nose but there’s definitely a dark edge to this too. The taste is similar, being sticky up front with an extremely sweet mix of chocolate, vanilla and syrup. Roasted coffee bitterness and some earthy citrus (even dark fruit) character help take some of that sweet edge off. Peanut butter is present and hangs in the finish with that leftover sweetness (and seems to come out the more you let this sit in your mouth). The mouthfeel is fuller bodied but sadly fairly flat, although there is soft chewy carbonation that is still present. Adam had warned me that the carbonation here was pretty much DOA right off the bat, so I was at least expecting it. I will say that the big 10% is extremely well hid. This is a smooth sipper. This was interesting. While it definitely didn't blow my socks off, it isn't quite the train wreck that this could have easily have been either. Thanks again for the share Adam. I know this wasn't a cheap growler to acquire.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

2.94/5  rDev -22.6%

First had: on tap at TH

Served in an 8oz. wine glass, 5Oo5 was a dark brown-black liquid, with a creamy cap of tan head, with lines of chocolate brown penciled in; this receded to a wisp, leaving a few dots of lacing on the glass.

For all that went into this beer, the aroma was pretty muted, all roast: dark malts, light notes of peanuts and a little coffee.

The taste was pretty much dominated by a rough phenolic flavor, quite medicinal, with a solventy, malt-liquor-like booziness maybe from the maple syrup addition (I had the same thing happen with one of my homebrews, so I'm guessing that's what it was, not certain though); beyond that, there were lesser notes of raw chocolate, burnt marshmallow (detected mostly in the flavoring of the head, which was neat), sugary sweetness, really nothing in the department of peanut butter or vanilla, with very little coffee coming through; more cacao emerged as the beer warmed, but more solvent emerged as well. Mouthfeel was about medium, quite thin for a stout, but about the norm for a Tired Hands stout. Would be nice on nitro, I'd imagine.

So I went back a few days later to try this again. "Maybe it was a bad pour?" I thought to myself. "Tap lines not fully flushed when switched over perhaps?" But honestly, I got the same exact off-flavors, and nothing else had changed. Hmm. I just don't know. Either 1.) there's legit something wrong with this beer, 2.) I just don't like the beer, or 3.) I don't have a taste for beers made with junk food thrown in! (Wasn't a fan of Snack Attack either, so go figure). I tried.

End of story: if there is 1 out of 100 Tired Hands beers I don't care for, I guess this is that one.

3.8/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served on-tap at the Brewpub, reviewed from notes.

A - Pours pitch black, one finger tall tan head, minimal lacing.

S - Smell was all over the place but I did get most of the added ingredients. The cocoa, vanilla and a tiny bit of marshmallow fluff are present initially and as it warms up more and more maple syrup and PB start to come out.

T - Very similar to the nose. The lighter flavors start things off while the PB is slow to develop but once it does it really shines through. Finish is pretty sweet with some light lingering roast.

M - Heavy body with moderate carbonation. Sweet, smooth feel.

O - This is definitely a big beer with a ton of flavors going on inside its depths. I am glad I got to try it while it was around.

5 Out Of 5 from Tired Hands Brewing Company