5 Out Of 5 - Tired Hands Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Tired Hands Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Imperial Stout brewed with cacao, peanut butter, marshmallow, PA maple syrup, vanilla beans, and One Village Coffee espresso beans.

(Beer added by: HoppyKilaMonster on 06-25-2013)
Reviews by stakem:
3.24/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to BA tenderbranson by way of BA Slatetank for getting this growler to me. Poured into a matching TH oversized wine glass. The brew appears dark brown in color with lighter brown around the edges almost like cola or root beer in appearance but quite hazed. A finger of tan head fades back quickly to a thin film. A swirl hardly releases a few bubbles but places some spots of lace on the glass.

The aroma is sweet with an earthen aspect that blends into coffee, chocolate and vanilla. There is a bit of citrus component present and I am stretching to say that part of the roasted grain element faintly seems like peanut butter but without knowing that was an ingredient, I dont think I would know its there. When deeper whiffs are taken, the alcohol has a solvent to fusel aspect.

The flavor is sweet and full almost sticky with a chewy feel of vanilla before blending into milk chocolate. The roast component hints towards citrus with a mineral aspect towards the back. There is a mild fruity alcohol note that once blended with the residual sweetness and vanilla almost gives a cola sort of flavor to this brew just like the aroma hinted towards.

This is a full bodied brew that is slick and smooth with a chewy feel. The carbonation leaves a lot to be desired as it is way too low. The lack of bubbles inhibits the flavors from really blending and rolling across the tongue like they possibly could have. This brew screams vanilla and even possibly marshmallow fluff. The chocolate roast is faint as well as the coffee inclusion. The peanut butter is seemingly completely lost in flavor but present somewhat in the aromatics. Overall I would call this brew interesting on paper and creative to let your fans pick the adjuncts. But this is collectively pretty much a failure in my glass. I wanted to like this beer, I really did. But paying $35 for 2 liters of this has been the dumbest choice I have made in awhile.

3.45/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

64oz growler. HUGE thanks to Stakem for gifting me with the remnants of this. Pours black with a thin mocha head. Just some thin ringing around the edges for retention and lace. Pretty dead looking overall. The aroma is a rich mix of coffee, caramel, cocoa and vanilla. A dark fruit component is sticking out to me as well. I’m even getting a bit of that peanut flavor. This is mostly sweet in the nose but there’s definitely a dark edge to this too. The taste is similar, being sticky up front with an extremely sweet mix of chocolate, vanilla and syrup. Roasted coffee bitterness and some earthy citrus (even dark fruit) character help take some of that sweet edge off. Peanut butter is present and hangs in the finish with that leftover sweetness (and seems to come out the more you let this sit in your mouth). The mouthfeel is fuller bodied but sadly fairly flat, although there is soft chewy carbonation that is still present. Adam had warned me that the carbonation here was pretty much DOA right off the bat, so I was at least expecting it. I will say that the big 10% is extremely well hid. This is a smooth sipper. This was interesting. While it definitely didn't blow my socks off, it isn't quite the train wreck that this could have easily have been either. Thanks again for the share Adam. I know this wasn't a cheap growler to acquire.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

2.94/5  rDev -22.6%

First had: on tap at TH

Served in an 8oz. wine glass, 5Oo5 was a dark brown-black liquid, with a creamy cap of tan head, with lines of chocolate brown penciled in; this receded to a wisp, leaving a few dots of lacing on the glass.

For all that went into this beer, the aroma was pretty muted, all roast: dark malts, light notes of peanuts and a little coffee.

The taste was pretty much dominated by a rough phenolic flavor, quite medicinal, with a solventy, malt-liquor-like booziness maybe from the maple syrup addition (I had the same thing happen with one of my homebrews, so I'm guessing that's what it was, not certain though); beyond that, there were lesser notes of raw chocolate, burnt marshmallow (detected mostly in the flavoring of the head, which was neat), sugary sweetness, really nothing in the department of peanut butter or vanilla, with very little coffee coming through; more cacao emerged as the beer warmed, but more solvent emerged as well. Mouthfeel was about medium, quite thin for a stout, but about the norm for a Tired Hands stout. Would be nice on nitro, I'd imagine.

So I went back a few days later to try this again. "Maybe it was a bad pour?" I thought to myself. "Tap lines not fully flushed when switched over perhaps?" But honestly, I got the same exact off-flavors, and nothing else had changed. Hmm. I just don't know. Either 1.) there's legit something wrong with this beer, 2.) I just don't like the beer, or 3.) I don't have a taste for beers made with junk food thrown in! (Wasn't a fan of Snack Attack either, so go figure). I tried.

End of story: if there is 1 out of 100 Tired Hands beers I don't care for, I guess this is that one.

5 Out Of 5 from Tired Hands Brewing Company