SUNBATHER - Tired Hands Brewing Company

Tired Hands Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Rifugium on 07-07-2013

4.76/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a growler into at Tired Hands stemmed glass.

This beer astounds me! It is a beautiful beer, and very unique looking at that. The egg-shell white head, foamy in nature, sits firmly (especially for a growler pour) on top of a brilliant, ruby red body with amazing clarity. The head doesn't last forever, and leaves a touch of residue on the sides on the glass, but the body of the beer is just incredible. Very eye-catching, and looks like no other beer I've seen.

Then you get to the aroma...simply amazing! I'm not trying to be a homer about this, but I am really blown away by this beer, and I don't care where it comes from. The nose is filled with hints of a million different things: Juicy Fruit gum, peaches, bright citrus, and many other things that I can't quite decipher. I'd characterize the aroma as soft, complex, and deeply beautiful. As it warms up a bit, there are smells of candied lemon, sangria, and tropical fruits.

Drinking Sunbather is like eating wild raspberries: there is a sweet berry-like flavor, with a tartness that balances it all out. Up front is an acidic orange, taste followe by a gentle sweetness. It is lemony, and lightly bitter in the finish, with a lasting familiar aftertaste. The taste is not as amazing (complex, fruity) as the aroma, but I still find it to be an unbelievable beer.

The beer was from a growler, so the carbonation was on the softer side. The beer had a medium body, and it was perfectly balanced in the finish.

Just so amazing. To quote the douchiest thing that I've ever read on BA (about another Tired Hands beer): "Probably one of the most important beers Tired Hands has released." Haha, so pathetic...but this is most definitely my favorite beer that I can remember from Tired Hands. The appearance and the aroma alone could win it for me every time. Really solid, and I hope it gets a re-brew. (1,875 characters)

4.6/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful pinkish red color (from the hibiscus). This is the reddest IPA I've seen. Grapefruit, lemons, flowers, and honey come through on the nose. The hibiscus gives the flavor a nice floral characteristic as well, which combines nicely with the juicy citrus flavors. A touch of sweetness comes through in the finish, I assume from the honey. This is such a juicy beer and unlike any IPA I've ever had. The mouth feel was nice and crisp, perfectly complimenting the flavors. Any reservations I had about hibiscus in beer has been alleviated. My girlfriend and I both absolutely loved this beer. Hopefully this isn't just a one off, but this is the first IPA I've had from Tired Hands, so I look forward to trying more of their hoppy offerings. (753 characters)

4.45/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a rose solored color in the glass with some brown as more beer enters the glass. Little head and little lacing, but could be the growler (only 1 day old).

S: Pine, spices, hoppy aroma.

T: Piney yet a slight malt balance. Maybe a hint of sour from a wine barrel present. Nice & complex.

M: Light brew yet many layers. If anything it is missing some carbonation.

O: Very sessionable IPA but loads of flavor. Really good brew. (436 characters)

4.28/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

First had: on tap at TH

"I'm dying."
"Is it blissful?"
"It's like a dream."
"I want to dream."

"IPA brewed with a touch of wheat, Pa Wildflower honey, Meyer lemons, and hibiscus (1lb/barrel). Hopped intensely with Mosaic, Simcoe, and Amarillo." <---(not a lyric)

Surprising appearance, ruby-red blended with mahogany, topped with a light, creamy, white head; good retention and soapy lacing. In the nose, citrus, honey, fruit punch, wildflowers. Not as much lemon in the taste, with more of dominance from the flowery sweetness imparted from the hibiscus, honeysuckle, grass, light notes of caramel, fresh citrus/piney hops coming out in the finish to balance things out. Pleasant. And grim. Like blackgaze. Vaguely IPA-ish, surprising in that it's not really conforming to what you'd expect from the style, which is just fine of course. Light-medium body, slick and clean, soft carbonation. Very enjoyable!

Of all the beers I've had that were made with hibiscus (there have been a few), I think the ingredient was expressed in the most meaningful way with SUNBATHER. Would love to see this again. (1,106 characters)

SUNBATHER from Tired Hands Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.