Sapporo Premium Beer - Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

Sapporo Premium BeerSapporo Premium Beer

poor

Sapporo Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Japan

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: IronDjinn on 05-28-2003

Ratings: 1,833 | Reviews: 641

This Sapporo is brewed in Toronto, CANADA and it is one of the best beers I have every tasted. Often I enjoy a light beer which is a no no to some beer lovers but I think that is ridiculous.

This beer is the most refreshing of beers. Everything a light beer should be but isn't.

4.85/5  rDev +70.8%

Hands down this is one of the best beers I have ever had. It hasn't received the best rating, but for for someone that is just getting into the beer tasting I found it very enjoyable. It was not overpowering or lacking in flavor, the head poured very thick at first, but no more than two fingers. I only gave it a 4.5 in smell because it could have used a little more aroma. Yet another I could add to my arsenal of regular beers.

4.73/5  rDev +66.5%

I love it! Really good beer. The appearance is golden with a lace that sticks to the glass. The smell is light but nice with a smell of grain and a light hint of hops. The taste is great with noticable hop taste. The mouth feel is smooth and helps it finish to a nice clean crisp refreshing beer!!

4.5/5  rDev +58.5%

Great refreshing taste. Could sip on this all day.

The can itself is amusingly strong.

4.44/5  rDev +56.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My personal favorite Japanese beer, solid beer with a crisp taste and a can so solid you could kill a hobo with it.

4.36/5  rDev +53.5%

I just compared this with the almost identically packaged "Original Draft Beer" imported from Japan. There IS a difference, and it does not favor this, the Canadian version.

That said, most reviewers are WAY too harsh on this beer. Do you think bread judges downgrade all white breads? Of course not. They disparage only the factory-made, mushy types of white bread like Wonder brand. Baguettes, made from white flour, represent the height of the craft. This brand of beer, my friends, is the sine qua non of super light, super dry lager beer. Now for the Canadian version:

Not as winey, tart or fruity as the "Original Draft Beer." On the nose it is reminiscent of cracked, sun-baked grains. The head is admirably persistent and doughy. On the palate: whistle-clean with simple, butterscotch sugars and a dense, dry flank of seasoned hops. Good clean fun.

4.3/5  rDev +51.4%

Big fan of oriental beers, and this is one of my favourites.

An nice, light colour, but little head and little lacing. Nice, light yeasty smell.

One of the best tasting lagers, Crisp and refreshing, packed with flavour, but dissapates quickly with almost no after taste.

This is a good hot day beer, perfect for those BBQ's and backyard pool parties. A great everyday beer.

4.25/5  rDev +49.6%

Good sushi...pint of Sapporo...enough said...

4.15/5  rDev +46.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Clear gold brew with a decent white head.

Smell: Very clean aroma.

Taste: Smooth, clean character with just a touch of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Great body for such a clean brew.

Drinkability: Very drinkable beer. One of my favorites from Japan.

4.13/5  rDev +45.4%

pours brilliant bright golden yellow with a 2 finger head that fades fast and leaves no lacing

smells of sweet malts(rice?) and earthy hops

taste is bitter grassy hops and lemon citrus with the sweet grains toward the finish - reminds me somewhat of a german pils

mouthfeel is light crisp refreshing

drinkability is very good as of now - cheap beers give me a headaches so only time will tell here and will update if needed

i dont know why this beer gets a C rating because in a blind taste test with some pils i think this beer would stand stong

4.12/5  rDev +45.1%

Golden straw color, with a small head & so-so lacing, but a nice stream of fine bubbles. Nose has plenty of floral hop aroma, with a touch of sweet malt. On first taste, there's a small amount of malt up front, followed by a moderate-high amount of bitterness. Pleasant noble-hop flavor. Very clean & dry finish. Body is crisp and light.

This really could pass for a very nice German pils. It's far better than the Sapporo Reserve. I don't understand how other reviewers missed the flavor characteristics here.

4.1/5  rDev +44.4%

Imported from Canada, brewed in Guelph. 22oz can.
Crystal clear, deep yellow in colour. Fine white bubbles formed a thin coat on top of the beer and left a bit of clingy lace at the top of the glass. Moderate head retention. Mild aroma, crackery grain, a bit of marshmallow, light floral and fruit character, very clean. Low bitterness, mild grain and light fruity flavours, finished very dry with a hint of spicy hops. Light bodied, moderate carbonation, crisp and clean. Very easy drinking without any off flavours. Quite refreshing. A solid example of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +44.4%

This beer has become a staple for my friends and I. Anyway, pours out a nice light yellow color, with a 1-2 inch frothy head. Nice. Smells of rice, and it smells very fresh. Oh man does this stuff taste good! Its got a nice light, smooth taste. Goes down smooth, nicely carbonated. Nice and full mouthfeel. I would of gave this one a 5 for drinkability, but since i find that the bottled version of sapporo tastes much better than the canned. So thats why i docked it .5. Anyway, this a great light beer, with 5% ABV, and its of high quality, and can really mix with almost any food! I HIGHLY recommend this one! Cheers.

4.08/5  rDev +43.7%

I'm drinking this beer as I'm writing this review, and I gotta say, it really pairs nicely with Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips. Deelicous.

A- Snagged this beauty out of ye olde beer fridge because the bottle is purdy. Not sure what the beer actually looks like, its going straight from the bottle to my blood-brain barrier.

S- I wanna say raw asian BBQ? makes me hungery

T- Pretty decent, has a good sort of bitterness to it that really accentuates the Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips.

M- feels like bleh. comparable to cheap domestic beers as for the feel.

Overalls- It doesn't say its a light beer, but it is a light beer. I mean i can see right through it. I'm typing right now looking through this beer and it aint gunna stop me.

4.08/5  rDev +43.7%

22 oz into glass.

A: Good. great lacing and head retention. Golden on color with good clarity.

S: Bit o' hop and malt with fresh grains to boot.

T: Bit o' hops and malts again. Nice for this style. Crisp and refreshing. Sapporo is Yumming soon!

M: Pretty good for this type of beer.

D: Went perfect with my meal. I've quaffed these before and they are very very drinkable. Its flavor says please drink more of me over and over again after first sip. "Please drink more! Please drink more!" the Sapporo cries. I say, "Otay."

4.03/5  rDev +41.9%

Can labelled as "Sapporo Imported Premium Beer" brewed in "Guelph, Ontario, Canada" -- assuming by Sleeman.

Straw color with a huge white head and very (almost overactive) carbonation. Balanced fruit, malt, and light adjunct aroma and flavor; much more micro-like than macro when compared to Kirin. Medium bodied with a nice balanced creamy finish.

A bit more expensive than Kirin Ichiban but worth it...

Per Can: "Since 1876" & "Japan's Oldest Brand"

Per Sapporo website: 4.9% ABV, 140 cal, 10.3g Carb, 1.4g Prot, 0 fat (per 12 oz serving)

'2604' Lasered on bottom of can
Tasted: 03/12/05

($2.99 / 22 oz. tall silver multi-faceted can)

4.03/5  rDev +41.9%

Almost pilsner like in experience which is great by me. For those that enjoy lighter bodied, bubbly, crisp beers this is a great choice. Not challenging or a hop monster (though this is on the hoppy side). This is pretty one dimensional... and this is a good one dimensional beer.
Fresh, clean, light and simple. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Light, clean and crisp! I have to say I'm very suprised by the taste and appearance of this beer. This is the first time I've ever had a Japanese beer let alone a rice beer (that I know of). It almost hints of a tripel ale. Very clean pour and clean feel on the tongue. I very highly recommend this beer!

on tap - I really like this beer. Decently bittered, and distinctly pilsner-malty. Clean and crisp this beer is very refreshing, and is a cut above the usual run of the mill light lagers. It's far, far, far better than the canned version which is thoroughly mediocre

Super underrated. Way more flavor than competing adjunct lagers.

3.97/5  rDev +39.8%

Bottle poured into shaker pint

Two finger off-white head, good retention throughout consumption

Golden yellow beer

S: Rice, grains, malt, and light hops

T: Rice, malt, lager yeast, and hop bitterness

M: Satisfying, this is my new go to Japanese beer. Asahi does not do it for me any more.

Overall, seek this one out. You won't be sorry.

3.96/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Always a safe bet over a macro lager

3.96/5  rDev +39.4%

Poured in a Pilsner Glass

Appearance- Brilliant Gold with a thin white head that sparkles with champagne like bubles in a cascade.

Smell- Notes of Citrus and Rice, what one would expect.

Taste- The rice makes the clean citrusy flavor pop on your tongue. It may not be terribly complex but it is clean, crisp and very refreshing like a fine albarino. The hops make a nice appearance in the aftertaste, but not enough to be to bitter.

Mouthfeel- The carbonation makes it bubble like champagne in your mouth. Pervasive and fully coating your mouth.

Drinkability- A spectacular beer for spicy food, and a no brainer pairing for asian flavors. I could down a six pack easily.

I don't know why people feel the need to hate on a perfectly tasty and drinkable beer. Just because it's easy going doesn't make it bad. If your looking for a good beer to take away the heat from a spicy dish. Or just something new, Try Sapporo.

3.94/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer looks crystal clear and a light gold with a smallish white head to it.

I found this to smell slightly sweet and a tad more skunky, reminded me of heineken.

Taste I really liked personally. I think it was the slightly sweet and more skunky taste that I love. Carbonation seemed like very little too much.

Mouthfeel seemed very clean like a lighter beer, carbonation felt a little more than I'd perfer. Doesn't make you mouth sticky and aftertaste doesn't linger too long.

I felt this beer seems like it would be a decent regular beer for me if I could find it for a cheap price. Goes down easy and doesn't fill you up too fast and it has a flavor that you can come back to easy enough. Nice friendly beer.

3.88/5  rDev +36.6%

Picked up a sixer to have with some take-out sushi. Poured into pilsner glass.

Appearance is of straw/gold. Nice head, but quickly fades. Carbonation is excellent and gives nice champaign appearance in the glass.

The smell is mild, a little sweet.

Taste is great. Nice and crisp, good balance between malt and hop. I always think of a pilsner when I drink this beer, but it never has any hint of "skunkiness," which is what makes this always refressing.

Great carbonation gives an excellent mouthfeel. Perfect paring with the sushi, soy, wasabi combination.

Overall this is a very drinkable beer, imo the best of the macro lagers, and one which I turn to quite often.

Sapporo Premium Beer from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.