Sapporo Premium Beer - Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

Sapporo Premium BeerSapporo Premium Beer

poor

Sapporo Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Japan

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: IronDjinn on 05-28-2003

Reviews: 595 | Hads: 1,848
1.03/5  rDev -64.5%

Poured from a 22oz. can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a thin white head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very pungent with the smell of rice and light malts, along with a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is grainy with flavors of rice, a light malt sweetness and a little bit of hops bitterness. The flavors don’t seem to blend very well. The after-taste is bitter but it’s not a pleasant hops bitterness.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, very dry finish.

D: Not very tasty, doesn’t go down very easily, slightly filling, I found it quite difficult to get through the can that I had (luckily it was just one) and would definitely not drink this beer again. (803 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -56.9%

I bought this ber as part of a make your own six pack. Total drain pour. No flavor what so ever. I've only said this about one other beer, but the only word I can use to describe it is YUCK!!! I will never make the mistake of putting this in my mouth again! (257 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -55.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Rice lager? More like piss lager. I was excited and expecting a lot more out of this beer and it let down. If I had to compare it to anything it would be an adjunct lager. In fact. this tasted eerily similar to Bud Light. Won't be trying this one again. (253 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -54.8%

Pours with a pale gold color. The head is white and low with a poor retention (a little lacing though). Very clear.
A disagreeable nose with some grassy notes. Uninspiring.
The taste is adjuncty with a citrus presence. The bitterness is kind of harsh. Some malt sweetness.
It is very dry and gassy. The finish is dry and puckery.

The flavors don’t bend well, resulting in an unbalanced beer. I simply didn’t like this one. I did not find a single redemptive characteristic. I will not be visiting this one again. (520 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -54.1%

First had: ?

Ever notice that beers labeled as "premium" are almost always the exact opposite? Sapporo "Premium" pours from the can a golden-straw-yellow color, clear, with a fizzy white head. Aroma of grains, corn, skunk...pretty much adjunct lager. Taste is the same, grains, corn, malty sweetness, and vague yeastiness. Light body, thin, unnecessary, undrinkable. Yet strangely still better than Bud or Old E. (413 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -49.3%

16.6 oz can
pours a clear yellow with a frothy soapy white head. lots of carbonation.
sheets of lace left behind.
Aroma is mostly corn with a little malt and sugar.
taste is bland, sweet (nutty? )
with a marshmallow quality to the mouthfeel.
corn aftertaste (267 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Had this at a local Japanese restaurant. Poured from a can.

A- Looked and poured like it's cousin, the American Adjunct. No surprise here. Yellowy/strawish/pale in color with a decent foamy head and a bit of lacing that dried quickly.

S- Not a lot going on here. What little aroma is there smells only of rice/corn.

T- Dull corn/rice again, with a hint of that urine taste that I love to hate. Tastes pretty foul.

M- Thin, moderately carbonated. Goes down easy assuming you can stand the taste.

O- I got what I expected from this beer. I'd never had it, but I could have told you pretty much what it was gonna be like beforehand. Boring, what little taste is there is foul, etc, etc... One of the reasons people think beer is nasty. Didn't even finish the can. (769 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -45.5%

Appearance: Clear gold color, not a lot of long-lasting head. A lot of bubbles make their way to the surface.

Smell: About as adjuncty and grainy as you can get, pretty bad.

Taste: Very bland, the rice addition is obvious and annoying. The flavor that is present is pretty bad, grainy and stale tasting. Pass.

Drinkability: Not too good, an unatractive and forgettable beer. Not worth the time, money, or effort. (421 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -45.5%

Tasted like a glorified lager of american origin... I was really hoping this would be something special but I guess my expectation was just to high.

A: Looked pretty much exactly like a Budweiser in color and head... Didn't excite me to much by appearance but I was still excited to give it a smell and a taste.

S: Fairly unappealing and smelled like a Budweiser... I am very disappointed at this point.

T: Tasted like a Bud Light mixed with a Miller Light... I have never tried this actual mix but to me it wasn't good for a beer that most high class sit down chinese/japanese resturants hype up so much.

M: Bleh... I'm done with this
D: Not really that good... I guess it was more interesting than a water. Maybe not a water with Lemon though... (752 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -45.2%

Appearance - Pretty light gold. Sudsy, but short-lived head. Nice lacing for a macro.

Smell - Very light macro and sour odor.

Taste - Less sweet and more sour than most macros. Still very light. Not as crisp as one would like in a light lager, something of a lingering sour aftertaste. Strikes quite a different balance from most macros, tends to the sour/ acidy side rather than the sweet/ malty. Almost lemony.

Mouthfeel - Probably my least favorite of all beers I've tasted. Primary feel is the carbonated sting. Very little beery or malty fullness.

Drinkability - Clearly very watery, like most macros. Flavor is rather unappetizing, however. Aftertaste is sour (not really bitter) and lingering. Almost needs a chaser.

This beer is pretty ucky. Maybe better than Milwaukee's Beast, maybe not. One of few beers that I've tasted that is actively offensive. Can is excessively cool, though. Very old-school communist.

Actually I reviewed a big can, not a bottle. (982 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

My first rice lager and I was not a fan. Its water with a faint hint of beer. If you are a light lager person or someone trying to expand there palate then I say go for it but for those who are looking for a full body tasting beer than I would tell you to pass on this beer. (274 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -44.8%

Pours dark yellow, similar to the star that's on the car or bottle. White head, no retention, no lacing. There was barely any cap left after pouring the beer.

Musty fungus like aroma.

Super adjunct flavor, barely any malt or hop flavors. Almost nothing but sour beer.

Watery, light carbonation.

Not recommended. This review seems slim, but there is nothing more to add about this beer. I would rather consume a BMC. (428 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -43.8%

This pours an average lager yellow and doesn't present much of a head. The nose is grainy and unimpressive. Guess what, the flavor follows suit. Quite light with some rice and old hops. A light body has a bit too much carbonation to go down well. Just another macorish lager in my book. (286 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Poured this Japanese Rice Lager from a can into a pint glass. Poured a light straw color, Produced a thick white head, retention was average and it did leave some lacing on the glass. The aroma is weak, containing some hints of grain and grassy hops. Light in body, a base of grain and some light hops. This is basically a typical macro brewed lager, says its from Japan but it is brewed up north in Canada. Overall, the flavor was typical of a mass produced lager, as the brew warmed it went south quickly. Poor. (513 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -43.1%

if I get it right, it's not japanese-brewed one, but CA or US, and surpisingly(!) bad enough that I even didn't manage to drink that stuff to the end. this is a one per very few cases i didn't drink it to the end. i just don't get it. i don't even know where do you get that, I travelled through half a country and never saw this one on sale hre in Japan... something's really off here. anyway even if it's japanese one, it's highly unrecommended buy.. (452 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Poured from the can gotten at a local convenience store in Okinawa Japan...

A - Piss yellow like a Coors Light, the furious pour unleashes a three fingered white head

S - A tad skunky, mild corn drinking games smell to it

T - Small weed-like bitterness up front, same skunk as the nose, white rice and corn

M - Light bodied, watery, decent carbonation

Overall this tastes just like a BMC but Japanese, it met my expectation, and now i'm going to finish it before it warms up and becomes a sink pour. Would not recommend. (525 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -39.7%

Clear yellow, unappetizing color. Very little carbonation. A tiny amount of head.

Nothing natural to the smell. Maybe a touch of rice? Metal? Water?

It tastes like I just drank some Coors Light out of a keg opened last night. Flat. There would have at least been fizz on a fresh macro-lager.

Somehow it manages to taste boozy while being only 5% alcohol. It's like water and booze strained through a rice paddy and served two days later. Nothing you'll ever want. (468 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -39.3%

I hope this is the right Sapporo, that's all that was on the tap... At a bar where every tap was a big boy, so let's try something new. Maybe this will be crisp and refreshing, as I'd already been drinking a few by then.

A: Pale straw yellow, minimal head by the time it got to me, clear, without the obvious carbonation of a normal BMC lager. Needs some lacing, but otherwise OK.
S: Not too much going on here. Hints of creamed corn and a touch of earth perhaps.
T: OK, we're off the wagon here. I have no clue what was wrong with this beer, but I think this one was infected or the lines were filthy. A thin body with little flavour save a hint of cooked white rice. Sadly the flavour is soon overtaken by rancid baby vomit. Oh butyric, how I hate thee. I know my flavour threshold is low on this one but I haven't tasted this in a draft beer in a long, long time.
M: Thin and low carbonation.
O: I think something was wrong with the keg, maybe it was old, but I barely could choke this one down and as I pointed out I had already been drinking so it was a BAD, BAD beer. I would have sent it back, save the fact it was late and the bartender was already an unhelpful ass to me after I tried to figure out what craft-like beers they had on tap. (1,248 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Had this at a local Chinese restaurant (for some reason). I figured, why the hell not?

I found the rice to be very prevalent in the can that was poured for me. It was so grainy and almost...salty, that I barely muscled it down.

I'm glad I finally got to try it, but I will not be trying it again. (299 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -36.6%

This beer is what it looks like, some lame yellow rice lager. Smells like hints of beer. Like if you shot water from a high pressure hose into some beer, the smell that would be coming up from it after it settled.

Taste, jeez, even for such a light profile of nothing in terms of malt/hops, it somehow manages to leave a bad aftertaste.

No mouthfeel, drinkable yeah, so long as you aren't opposed to 'no taste'. (413 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -36.6%

Too much sweetness from the rice, otherwise tastes like a macro adjunct. Somewhat fond of this beer as it was always the beer half of the quintessential college "sake bomb" combination. (185 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -36.2%

One finger head of foam that evaporated in seconds leaving a thin layer of clinging lace. Color is a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is that of rice, go figure. Taste is a mellow blend of rice and light hop flavor. Much like soda water feeling in my mouth. Not a bad flavor, but not enough flavor. I will not buy another, but will not be rude, if I am offered one at a gathering. (384 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -35.9%

Well here we go. The Japanese (Canadian) macro lager.

A-Weirdly, this pours a yellow/green colour. Still, aside from said green tinge, there is nothing else different from any other macro tosh. Not bad though.

S- Rice and grain. Very much like any adjunct lager... Certainly, nothing special is presented in the aroma at all.

T- Incredibly bland and somewhat flavourless. I'm getting a slight sweetness upfront followed by a whole heap of nothing. It literally tastes very similar to eating plain rice. Not good.

M- Fizzy carbonation. Very thin and watery though. It's interesting because even though it's so thin, the drinkability was low for me. Just too damn uninteresting.

O- Maybe I'm being a little harsh. Nah, not really. This beer is low quality and completely uninspiring. It isn't all that horrible, it's just too mediocre for me to even give it an average rating. Boring. (888 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -35.9%

650ml can
5.0% ABV
I tried this beer on August 13, 2007 after purchasing from the local LCBO store. The beer a nice translucent gold colour into the glass with a large white loose head. The aroma was very weak, wwith no discernable scents. The mouthfeel was weak and watery with some hints of carbonation. The flavour was also weak with little or no discernable flavours (372 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -34.5%

The can says this beer is imported, but it also says it was brewed and canned in Ontario, Canada. So it was technically imported but not from Japan.

Appearance: Perfectly transparent gold body with a thin fluffy white head. Not the greatest head retention or lacing.

Aroma: There is not much aroma here. I get that "lager aroma" when I open the can but nothing discernible in the glass. I won't rate it a 1 because it doesn't smell bad...it just doesn't smell like anything.

Taste: Not much flavor here...a bit of a woody flavor as odd as that sounds.

Mouthfeel: There is an odd astringency in this beer, but it is very dry.

Overall: It wasn't an enjoyable beer to drink. The can was really cool looking though... (718 characters)

Sapporo Premium Beer from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.