Sapporo Premium Beer - Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

Sapporo Premium BeerSapporo Premium Beer

poor

Sapporo Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Japan

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: IronDjinn on 05-28-2003)
View: Beers (30) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
beerprovedwright

Georgia

1.83/5  rDev -35.6%

One finger head of foam that evaporated in seconds leaving a thin layer of clinging lace. Color is a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is that of rice, go figure. Taste is a mellow blend of rice and light hop flavor. Much like soda water feeling in my mouth. Not a bad flavor, but not enough flavor. I will not buy another, but will not be rude, if I am offered one at a gathering.

12-08-2010 16:46:52 | More by beerprovedwright
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

2.2/5  rDev -22.5%

Thanks to speedwayjim for this extra and style tick. Another beer I probably would have never picked up myself. Poured from a can into a tulip.

A: Crystal clear golden yellow. Huge stark white head reaches a solid three fingers. Sticky lace is left behind. Decent retention. Modest cap.

S: The aroma is faint. However what I do pick up is sour grain with hints of butter. It reminds me of a damp basement.

T: Again the flavor is rather light. What is present is not anything special. Dry dusty straw is about as close as I can describe it.

M: Light body with a sharp carbonation.

D: Well not a huge surprise here. It's a rice lager. Nuff said.

12-08-2010 00:24:50 | More by beerwolf77
frickersticker3

New Mexico

3.38/5  rDev +19%

Very clear looking liquid. Taste almost exactly the same as Coor Light (which I happen upon as my first light beer, nothing bad about it at first but I wanted something different after awhile). Tap the rockies! I could settle for this beer as a first time beer drinker. This Jap beer would attract the newbies to lockful tasty strong coffee types of brewery, I think...but maybe after a year or so of this stuff. And as a result of drinking this stuff, I would not be hesitant to try beers in Japan. Compare to steele reserve...which I also can down. Like a champ. Haha

12-07-2010 08:55:37 | More by frickersticker3
patreely12

Maryland

2.95/5  rDev +3.9%

A - light, watery yellowish color. reminds me of coors light. almost no head, no lacing.

S - nothing really. smells like grain (rice, wheat, whatever it's brewed with)

T/M - paired with the delicious sushi this was pretty good. crisp, cleansing taste, good to clear the palate after some spicy sushi.

D - I don't know much about Japanese beers, but if I'm eating sushi this is what I'm drinking.

12-05-2010 03:37:57 | More by patreely12
kneeland

3.53/5  rDev +24.3%

Not a whole lot of head, but more so than most Asian beers. Pours a traditional yellow, the color is the same as every other Asian beer. Smells and tastes like grass, light hops, not a lot of grain or wheat happening. I enjoyed it, but it's not a favorite. I'll drink it again though.

11-28-2010 16:50:52 | More by kneeland
gatornation

3.18/5  rDev +12%

had this at jade in orlando..not much to order so i tried this one..poured a classic yellow color with a fresh head crystal clear..smell was grass and lemon and biscuit..taste was grass and slight hop with lemon and hay with some malt..mouth feel was crisp and and carbonated just not alot of flavor..i will say that i drank it very fast as it went well with the salty spicy oriental food..not a bad lager it is what it is so i guess that its a good rep of the style

11-20-2010 20:57:57 | More by gatornation
arboristfish

Wisconsin

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

I had this beer while at a sushi place. It poured a yellow color, almost straw like. The head was white, and stayed with the beer for awhile. It smells almost grassy or hay like, like a light lager that is foreign. The taste is sweeter than most lagers I have had from the states. Mouthfeel is light, and is a very drinkable beer.

11-20-2010 13:12:56 | More by arboristfish
vandemonian

Maryland

3.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Sapporo Premium Beer has a light straw colour and a head that fades quickly into light lacing. The smell is grainy with some slight hoppiness. The flavour starts with some sourness to begin with and finishes with graininess. The mouthfeel is watery with a little carbonation.

11-19-2010 03:00:36 | More by vandemonian
Vdubb86

2.78/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass

This beer pours a light golden color with very little head to talk about. The smell is lots of puffed rice and general stank, but it's not horrifying to the nose. The taste is of sweet rice and it's an odd flavor more akin to a Sake than a beer, but it's not bad. This beer is watery and bitter on the palate and isn't really that good to drink. If you like Sake I say go for it, if you don't then dear God don't go anywhere near this beer.

11-12-2010 08:26:17 | More by Vdubb86
AWolfAtTheDoor

2.73/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Last beer in the cleaning out my beer fridge of left over crap beers that friends/family have brought over and not finished. Also, my first official can review!

Not much of a head, lacing doesn't look too promising either. Upon further inspection of the can, apparently it was brewed in Canada.

For some reason, I have developed the delicate nasal sensors to detect flavors in weak ass beers. Thus I'm really not smelling much from this. Little bit of malt or rice or whatever grain they used to brew this. That's about it.

Taste is the only redeeming factor of the beer. Redemption may be too strong of a word. it's VERY clean and crisp tasting. I imagine this would pair nice with sushi.

Can't say I'd drink much of this. Like I said I am only drinking this to get it out of my fridge. Overall not a terrible beer. Probably my second favorite "japanese" beer, after Yebisu.

11-07-2010 21:09:30 | More by AWolfAtTheDoor
prosper

Alberta (Canada)

on tap - I really like this beer. Decently bittered, and distinctly pilsner-malty. Clean and crisp this beer is very refreshing, and is a cut above the usual run of the mill light lagers. It's far, far, far better than the canned version which is thoroughly mediocre

11-04-2010 05:22:34 | More by prosper
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

2.78/5  rDev -2.1%

650ml can poured into pint glass oct27 2010

A very pale straw yellow with some big bubbles floating up to a thumbs width of bone white head that as decent retention and leaves some lace

S not much at all, some lemon and faint sweet grains

T some Rice Krispies and a little hay, I'm more impressed by the total lack of flavor then anything else

M quite light and the bubbles fluff it up even more and gives it a little more body then most Rice Lagers

D easy too drink in the same way waters easy too drink, just not much too it at all

its not that this beer tastes bad it just tastes like nothing at all, for a cheap thirst quencher perhaps but not much else

10-28-2010 02:36:29 | More by wordemupg
revolt914

Colorado

1.55/5  rDev -45.4%

Tasted like a glorified lager of american origin... I was really hoping this would be something special but I guess my expectation was just to high.

A: Looked pretty much exactly like a Budweiser in color and head... Didn't excite me to much by appearance but I was still excited to give it a smell and a taste.

S: Fairly unappealing and smelled like a Budweiser... I am very disappointed at this point.

T: Tasted like a Bud Light mixed with a Miller Light... I have never tried this actual mix but to me it wasn't good for a beer that most high class sit down chinese/japanese resturants hype up so much.

M: Bleh... I'm done with this
D: Not really that good... I guess it was more interesting than a water. Maybe not a water with Lemon though...

10-09-2010 05:50:17 | More by revolt914
A380

Manitoba (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a light clear yellow with a very white bubble head very fluffy. almost like a cloud. nice. tastes very light and crisp and the carbonation is nice. not too strong but its definitely there. this should almost be considered a light beer. i taste almost a citrus water like taste. im not sure if this is the typical taste of a rice lager as its the only one ive ever tried. Not bad though. i could see this being a good beer on a very hot day after cutting the grass. not bad, but nothing that impressed me that much.
cheers

10-06-2010 20:43:14 | More by A380
metallaw

Alabama

3.45/5  rDev +21.5%

This is my first review, so here we go. Got it in a world market beers of the world sampler package.

Appearance - Pour from bottle into glass, poured a nice golden straw color with little head and little to no lacing.

Smell - Slightly sweet smell, little alcoholic.

Taste - Surprisingly sweet, bitter taste. Little over alcoholic, reminds me a lot of coors light.

Mouthfeel - High carbonation with a very clean crisp feel.

Drinkability - Could easily down a few during a football game, but why bother? Just get case of coors light and save your money.

10-04-2010 18:12:19 | More by metallaw
LiquidBread219

Indiana

2.98/5  rDev +4.9%

A= Pretty light yellow in color, A little head on this beer that disappears pretty fast, no lacing.

S= The nose was really faint to me all I could really pick up is light grains.

T= To me it was pretty clean and crisp not to much going on here either. Kind of just tasted like a Import Miller to me.

M= Light and thin in body, over carbonated

D= Easy to drink I probably wouldn't buy this beer just to sit down and have a few but when I paired it with sushi I can enjoy it for what it is.

Serving type: nitro-can

10-04-2010 06:25:37 | More by LiquidBread219
Kendo

2.93/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Poured from the 22 oz can (man, that thing is hefty - feels like stainless steel rather than those lightweight aluminum cans I'm used to) into a pilsner glass. Looks pretty good for what it is: clear, straw-yellow body with a 1-finger white head that settles quickly. No real lace.

S: Not much going on in the nose - faint cereal grains and a touch of fruit. As it warms it starts to fall apart, however - getting a bit of cooked veggies. . . . Score lowered to 2.5. . .

T: First sip surprised me - it wasn't bad at all. Not much flavor there, mind you, but in my book at least, no flavor is better than bad flavor. There's an ever-so-slight taste of cereal grain and it finishes clean. Slight bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. As it warms, the aftertaste becomes a bit off - hard to describe it exactly, but it's almost a lingering fruitiness that wasn't there before.

M: Light-bodied. Carbonation is a bit too "sharp," which takes away from the drinkability a little.

D: If it's ice cold, this one's not bad for what it is. As it warms up, however, some "off" flavors (and scents) show up and make it a bit of a chore to drink. My advice? If someone gives you this as a gift (that's how I got the bottle), keep it in the fridge, mow the lawn on a hot day, and then put it in the freezer for 10 minutes or so. Pour into a pilsner glass and chug.

09-30-2010 23:42:42 | More by Kendo
MoreThanWine

2.42/5  rDev -14.8%

First of all, although my sample looks just like the BA photo and was indeed imported it says it was brewed in Ontario, Canada, so Japanese in name does not mean actually from Japan. And were it bottled beer I may be grateful it's a close-by origin to avoid skunking, but their cans are built like tanks so they could have exported all the way from Japan and it still be acceptable.

This beer is on par with any other cheap weak pilsner - like the Bud's and Bud Lights of the world. In fact I thought Sapporo was more like the latter than the former.

Really the only nice thing about this beer is the cool uniquely shaped and classy can.

09-23-2010 08:54:13 | More by MoreThanWine
Brent

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev -5.6%

This beer has been a saving grace at many a sushi restaurant, in comparison with the other usual offerings. Moderately crisp with a rather full malt middle and a slightly astringent finish. Does a nice job of cutting wasabi heat and fatty tuna. As an independent beverage, however, it has little by which to distinguish itself, other than a really cool can.

09-17-2010 17:39:35 | More by Brent
eat

Quebec (Canada)

2.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Sapporo pours a crystal-clear golden yellow with lots of large, visible carbonation bubbles. The thinnest raft of bright-white head covers its surface. Not the most appealing-looking beer I've seen.

The nose is light and consists of yeast, grain, peppery Japanese hops and dust.

In spite of being from Japan and made from rice, Sapporo tastes pretty much like any mass-produced North American lager. I think they're all aiming for the same goal: to be neither offensive nor distinctive in any way. I suppose the main distinction presented here is a spicier hop variety, adding a nice pepperiness. Other than that: bland light malt and mineral water. Some bitter planty hops on the finish. Yeah, there's not really anything here. No off tastes, just boring as hell.

This beer's light, thin body is definitely over-carbonated, with lots of big foamy bubbles. A slight drying is left on the finish.

While certainly drinkable, I wouldn't want any more than one of these big cans. I guess it goes well enough with the Asian food you're likely to be consuming it along with, since it's unfortunately the beer-list highlight of a good many such restaurants.

09-17-2010 00:36:01 | More by eat
Richter35

Ontario (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev +6.7%

Served from 500ml can from the LCBO. Has become an excellent value since being packaged in a 4-pack of 500ml, instead of the fancy 650 ml cans that are considerably more expensive. Poured into a pilsner-style glass. Recently came back from Korea, where I was extremely unimpressed with the beer from a style standpoint and expected more from Sapporo Premium. The difference, in fact, was marginal;

...Looks alright. Pale gold in colour with a lot of tiny bubbles racing to the top of the glass and a delicious, persistent white foam on top.

This beer smells pretty good. A good balance of barley and grassy hops, the rice content is hard to notice, but is there. Somewhat bread-y smell.

Taste has metal-like tinge of a cheaper euro lager, with grains and rice up front with no noticeable hop flavour. I find the taste of this beer depends a lot on the glassware used and perhaps there is some inconsistancy in the brewing process.

Mouthfeel is thick for a lager, but still is refreshing enough to complement spicy, flavourful foods. The beer seems to be meant to blend into the background. Drinkability is remarkably low for a lager.

Overall, this beer dissapoints, as it could be so much more. Rice-based lagers are an unfortunate result of lack of resources and never seem to quite match the pure barley-malt offerings in quality. I find it can also vary in quality from can to can, which did not seem to be a problem in the not-too-distant past.

09-14-2010 23:26:18 | More by Richter35
mintjellie

Ontario (Canada)

2.3/5  rDev -19%

Straw gold in colour. Pillowy white head shows decent retention and leaves the occasional patch of lace. Light grain and grass aroma. Grainy, musty flavour. Hopping is very muted and indistinct, giving it a the barest touch of bitterness. Appropriately light for the style, but I find the carbonation prickly and aggressive. This is actually pretty palate cleansing stuff, for what it's worth. If given a choice between the two, I would rather drink Asahi Super Dry at a sushi joint. It's just as palate cleansing and mild, but lacks the unpleasant mustiness of the Sapporo.

09-11-2010 02:31:22 | More by mintjellie
JMastrangelo

2.65/5  rDev -6.7%

Golden bubbles rise
Interesting Asian brew?
My taste buds are sad

It's the Japanese version of Bud Lite. Take that as you will.
It's got a golden color, heavy carbonation, and I believe this style's called "Pilsner". A bit sweeter than Bud, but nothing special. It's good to know what it tastes like though, I've been able to recommend this beer to my father when going to Japanese restaurants, since he's strictly a Bud man.

09-10-2010 20:54:12 | More by JMastrangelo
brewduck

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is basically a generic American beer, with a bit more quality and crispness. Tastes like grain and alcohol. Nothing special, but they get a + for presentation. The giant can is pretty cool. I enjoy this beer when at Asian restaurants - this or an Asahi.

09-08-2010 19:33:20 | More by brewduck
Transatlantic

Tennessee

3.08/5  rDev +8.5%

22oz can poured into a Pilsner glass

A - Nice white bubbly head, very light and crystal clear straw yellow, carbonation bubbles bubbling up everywhere. Lacing is very good.

S - Wet grain smell, just a little bit on the skunky side.

T - Very crisp, very refreshing, not a lot of flavor. Barely sweet but watery towards the beginning and slightly bitter towards the end.

M - The little bit of flavor this beer has goes down just as soon as you swallow it.

D - This is a good "lawnmower beer"
It's good to quench your thirst when you're parched. If you're looking for a beer to sit and enjoy, you better look elsewhere because this is one beer that will disappoint in the flavor dept.

08-28-2010 22:06:20 | More by Transatlantic
Sapporo Premium Beer from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.