Sapporo Premium Beer - Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

Sapporo Premium BeerSapporo Premium Beer

poor

pDev: 20%
Sapporo Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Japan

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: IronDjinn on 05-28-2003)
2.88/5  rDev +1.1%

22 oz bottle at a sushi place in Orange, CA, poured in a tumbler glass.

A- Pale golden, heavily carbonated, finger width head and thick lacing down the glass.

S-Grassy with some malty tones. Definite funk to this beer.

T- Nothing crazy, little grassiness in the finish.

M- Nice consistency, but nothing special about it. Over carbonated if anything.

O- Good choice at a sushi place, otherwise don't bother.

2.68/5  rDev -6%

Had this at a Korean restaurant with sushi. Tasted before/during/after my meal.

A: Very pale yellow color. No head to speak of, because it disappears so quickly after the pour.

S: Grassy/skunky aroma with some hops, but overall very, very faint aroma, even after it warms.

T: Taste follows the smell; corn and rice come in. Crisp, bitter finish.

M: Very thin and light bodied, with medium carbonation. Definitely what I'd expect for the style.

O: Not very impressive, but was quite enjoyable with my meal. It actually worked pretty well as a palate cleanser between types of sushi...but that doesn't say too much for the beer.

2.42/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured into a 12oz. Tumbler

Appearence - Very pale wet straw/yellow color. Doesn't leave much of a head when poured because it vanishes almost instantly and there is no lacing to speak of.

Smell - Very grainy/cooked corn smell, with a slight grassy & skunky aroma to it. The smell reminds me of an adjunct lager.

Taste - Cooked corn and barley taste, with hints of rice in there. It's one of those beers that tastes better than it smells. The after taste is bitter, but dry so there's no unpleasent aftertaste to it.

Mouthfeel - It's a pretty easy beer to drink, with some fairly light carbonation. Feels very light on the palette and the body is also very thin as well.

Overall - I wasn't too pleased by this beer. This being my first rice beer (and first beer from Japan), I was expecting a different taste, but instead I got a familiar American Adjunct Lager taste. It's by no means a horrible beer, but for the most part I was disappointed by this brew

3.25/5  rDev +14%

About as pale as yellow as you can get. Two fingers of head that had surprising retention and lacing.

Very little aroma. What I do detect is not off-putting. A little sweet malt and floral hops.

Flavor starts off with a slightly sweet malt flavor but finishes dry with mild hop spice. Slightly more hop forward than popular BMC products. Extremely clean and refined with no lingering aftertaste.

Light body with fizzy carbonation. Just as expected.

Clean, light, with some hop flavor. No real point in purchasing this beer when you can get a "craft" beer for the same price.

2.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a BA tasting glass.

The color is a light orange/gold with a finger of foamy head that is gone pretty quickly and has no lacing left on the glass.

The smell has a small hop aroma in the nose that is also brimming with a sweet malt smell and a little rice in far background.

Th taste is less then expected. The slight hop aroma in the nose does not show up in the flavor. There is a grainy flavor that is a little bit skunk y and not very welcoming. There is a bit of a bread flavor that was soaked in water.

The beer is light and goes down easy with a drinkable feel but really leaves something to be wanted in the taste. Paired with food maybe the flavor would balance out.

2.5/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Golden color with good clarity. Carbonation seems subdued. Off white head that dissipates rapidly. Minimal lacing.

S: Graininess, vegetal hoppiness. Seems fairly macro.

T: Malt, adjunct, really watered down hop presence followed by a doughy, vegetal finish with adjunct aftertaste. It's not offensive, it's just not really there. Pretty wussy on the flavor side. Very dry though.

M: Thin, watery even. Carbonation doesn't seem to pull through. Once again, nothing offensive...just kinda eh.

O: Bought it because it was on sale at Von's for 6.99 a six pack. I've never been a huge fan, but I was so enamored by the reserve I had the other day I figured I'd give this a try. Sadly, about as mediocre as I remember it. Try the Sapporo Reserve. That beer is about as good as I've had from Japan.

3.23/5  rDev +13.3%

ON tap at Haru Sushi, been seeing this on tap a lot more in NYC

A - pale straw, light head that quickly recedes, good activity, some lacing

S - watery, metallic, nothing really there

T - Light and thin, dry crisp like finish, very refreshing, but not much to note

M - Good level of carbonation, very dry and light, easily drinkable

O - Great with asian food, easy to knock back, but very simple with little exciting characteristics

3.15/5  rDev +10.5%

This was the first beer I ever drank, and it has a special place in my heart, though I'll admit it's not the best. I do love the intense robot can!

It pours a typical, but very pale straw lager colour. The head is actually pretty decent, and sticks around for a little while.

The aroma is faint, and mostly wet and grainy. There are some faint grassy hops in the background.

The flavour is basic, but satisfying. Faint clean grainy flavours to start. The hops come through towards the end and lend a slight grassy bitterness to the finish.

Overall, this is an okay lager. It's probably the best of the main Japanese macro brews. I understand why this got me into beer.

2.43/5  rDev -14.7%

Bottle

Ahi Sushi
San Marcos, CA

A clear, golden highly-carbonated beer with a quickly forming but a quickly disappearing white head. Little to no lacing down the glass.

A slight sweet aroma with some corn and grain elements. At least nothing smells off or foul here.

A clean and crisp flavor with a touch of sweetness and some grainy corn (and rice, I suppose) flavor throughout.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. Crisp and clean.

It is what it is, and it isn't much.

A - Clear, light straw color with a large, creamy, foamy, bright white head. Average retention but very little lacing left.

S - Very bland aroma. Some cereal grain and sweetness and not much else. Quite boring.

T - Better than the aroma. More cereal grain and corn sweetness. Hints of floral hops and a slight bitterness. That said, it still is pretty bland and not great.

M - Lighter body with average carbonation. Pretty smooth and somewhat creamy.

D - Easy to drink and decent balance but nothing exciting. I enjoy the subtle sweetness.

Notes: Meh, it's what you would expect. Sweet cereal/corn is strongest. Not a bad beer, just bland.

3.75/5  rDev +31.6%

Sapporo: I have not had a Sapporo for over 25 years. That long time ago, I was doing some field work in Japan on the southern island of Kyushu. After a long day in the field, I looked forward to the thermal baths at the ryukan where we stayed, then walking over to the beru machine, dropping in my yen coins and getting a big bottle of Sapporo for the evening. It was a special time. Fast forward to yesterday, when I was getting a quick dinner at Tokyo Joe’s. The marketing guys have done a good job; I could not resist the cold bottle of Sapporo on display as I placed my order. Despite the plastic cup, the Sapporo was a light straw color, with active carbonation, pure white head and subtle sweet aroma. The flavor was what I remember, very clean with a light sweetness and faint hop finish. I love this beer for the memories it brings back to me. Despite all of the wonderful IPA’s and Hefewiezens that are out there, there is a place for a great light beer such as Sapporo.

2.75/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: 3 finger head. Clear straw colored

S: bread and some light malt.

T: bready and grainy. Subtle spicey finish. Goes well with soy sauce, obviously.

M: light body and high carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

Overall: Its a typical macro-brew flavored beer. Not terrible and its cripsness makes it easy to consume.

3.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 341ml. bottle.

Appearance: Pours a clear, pale god body with average head with some retention.

Smell: Fruit-like with some graininess. Actually nod bad.

Taste: Fruit and some grainy bitterness. While not packed with flavor, it's not bland either.

Mouthfeel: Crisp carbonation and a medium body.

Overall: Not a half bad beer. Nothing exciting but not offensive either. Could work in a pinch.

1.73/5  rDev -39.3%

I hope this is the right Sapporo, that's all that was on the tap... At a bar where every tap was a big boy, so let's try something new. Maybe this will be crisp and refreshing, as I'd already been drinking a few by then.

A: Pale straw yellow, minimal head by the time it got to me, clear, without the obvious carbonation of a normal BMC lager. Needs some lacing, but otherwise OK.
S: Not too much going on here. Hints of creamed corn and a touch of earth perhaps.
T: OK, we're off the wagon here. I have no clue what was wrong with this beer, but I think this one was infected or the lines were filthy. A thin body with little flavour save a hint of cooked white rice. Sadly the flavour is soon overtaken by rancid baby vomit. Oh butyric, how I hate thee. I know my flavour threshold is low on this one but I haven't tasted this in a draft beer in a long, long time.
M: Thin and low carbonation.
O: I think something was wrong with the keg, maybe it was old, but I barely could choke this one down and as I pointed out I had already been drinking so it was a BAD, BAD beer. I would have sent it back, save the fact it was late and the bartender was already an unhelpful ass to me after I tried to figure out what craft-like beers they had on tap.

2.45/5  rDev -14%

A - Very clear, very light yellow body, small head, highly carbonated. Looks like most macros.

S - If I strain I get some corn.

T - Just bland and flavourless really. Has an ever so slight sweetness throughout, as in sweet corn, but is carbonated water otherwise. No hint of alcohol.

M - Clean, light, watery. Quite fizzy to start.

O - A refreshing thirst quencher but nothing else. The best thing about it is the big heavy metallic can shaped like a weizen glass, but I won't be sucked in by that again.

1.83/5  rDev -35.8%

Well here we go. The Japanese (Canadian) macro lager.

A-Weirdly, this pours a yellow/green colour. Still, aside from said green tinge, there is nothing else different from any other macro tosh. Not bad though.

S- Rice and grain. Very much like any adjunct lager... Certainly, nothing special is presented in the aroma at all.

T- Incredibly bland and somewhat flavourless. I'm getting a slight sweetness upfront followed by a whole heap of nothing. It literally tastes very similar to eating plain rice. Not good.

M- Fizzy carbonation. Very thin and watery though. It's interesting because even though it's so thin, the drinkability was low for me. Just too damn uninteresting.

O- Maybe I'm being a little harsh. Nah, not really. This beer is low quality and completely uninspiring. It isn't all that horrible, it's just too mediocre for me to even give it an average rating. Boring.

2.08/5  rDev -27%

12oz bottle into a pilsner glass, an aperitif to sushi at Kumo in New Haven. Neither beer nor restaurant is recommended. Style tick #97; thank God I got this out of the way.

A: Clear gold body with a finger of sticky white head. Pretty good retention, very nice lace. Looks nice for the style.

S: Nothing but cheap rice and husky grain. Boring, thin, and unsatisfying. Pretty bad, even for what it's trying to be.

T: Sharp grainy sweetness, and tons of rather weak rice flavor. Long, disgusting aftertaste of pure metal. Not good at all.

M: Thin, watery, and almost painfully prickly with the carbonation. Unpleasant, but not unexpected for the style.

O: At first this beer didn't bother me too much, but the more I drank the worse it became. The rice character was disappointing both for being distasteful (I'm not a big fan of fermented rice flavor) and for being poorly executed (I at least appreciated the intensity that was displayed by the Happoshu I tried). The metallic finish was really what pushed this over the edge into nastiness, though, and I was glad when glass was empty. From what I remember, it's far better out of the sweet 22oz cans.

Cheers!

2.9/5  rDev +1.8%

795th Review on BA
Bottle to Pilsner
22oz

No dating

Paired with garlic chicken and broccoli beef.

App- A very clear yellow with lots of upward flowing bubble activity. A one finger head. Nice and slow to recede with a very good amount of sticky lace.

Smell- Very dry rice with a hint of lemon and granular notes behind it. A little bit of a damp old bread note and a little adjunct skunky.

Taste- When you have it alone this beer is very awkward in of itself and has a certain lack of balance and flavor pop. When you actually pair it with some food it balances itself out and some of the hidden flavor notes come to the forefront in with a certain crisp lemon and dry yeast notes.

Mouth- A light body beer with a high carbonation level and a dry lemony finish.

Drink- For what this is it isn’t that bad. Alone with a food balance it was a bit tough to take down but as the food flavors come through it makes for a much better beer. Still slightly below if not/average at best.

2.93/5  rDev +2.8%

Got this on bottle served into a Pilsner glass. Good appearance with golden yellow translucent color, although not as clear as some ales or light beers out there. Slight bubbles rising to the top from carbonation and a one finger head that dissipated rather quickly. Nose was hard to tell: a few hints of grains and that's about it, I couldn't really tell anything else since the smell was very low. Taste was grains, rice and most of all wheat & corn water that reminded of eating Korean food at my friend's house. Slight carbonation in the taste but on the light side, probably so that you can enjoy this beer with just about any food.

Overall not bad, but not great, yet enjoyable.

2.7/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a Asahi glass at Bushi Tei in SF.

A: It pours a clear golden yellow with a small white head that fades very quickly. There is a nice steady stream of carbonation running up through the beer. No lacing, but a thin white covering of bubbles remains on top of the beer.

S: The nose smells like bread dough; it reminds me of when I bake bread with those yeasty notes coming through.

T: The flavors are very light overall, not watery, just light. Mainly there are bready flavors, yeast. There's not much more going on in this one though as far as flavors go.

M: It's crisp and carbonated, but it smooths out in the finish. It has a refreshing quality in the mouthfeel.

O: Overall it's a drinkable, but not great beer. I guess it's ok for it's purpose of being a light beer that will in no way overcome the flavors of the food you're eating (if having it with sushi, as I did) I would probably drink it again as a mindless beer I don't have to think about, and I would definitely grab it before ever thinking of touching Bud or Coors.

2.55/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pilsner glass from a 12 oz bottle

A: ...green. I think it was just the lighting in the Japanese restaurant we were in. Nevertheless, light and crystal clear greenish yellow. Pour resulted in a 1-finger head.

S: Alcohol, grainy grain and damp cardboard.

T: A hint of cereal grains. Nice, but kind of one note and quickly followed up by the damp cardboardness in the nose. There really isn't anything here that you wouldn't find in a domestic like Bud or Miller.

M: Light, kinda grainy with a dry finish.

O: The only reason to buy a Sapporo is the awesome nigh-indestructible can it comes in. It loses something in the bottle or the glass.

3.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a very clear golden yellow color with two fingers of fluffy white head that dissipates fairly quickly.

The scent is of grains, a little skunky, and a note of a floral hop presense.

The taste is of dry grain, and some very light notes of floral hops.

Light bodied, clean and crisp, high carbonation.

This was pretty good for the style, not something I would drink regularly though.

3.23/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a clear gold with a 1/4" of head with decent retention. Smells musty, grainy, and has a moderate hop bitterness. The rice adds an obvious difference in flavor; adds a fuller malt character. There's some mild hops in the finish. Mouthfeel is crisp, light, and refreshing.

Not a bad beer, but nothing special.

3.75/5  rDev +31.6%

A- Poured into a pilsner glass. Poured a light golden yellow with about two fingers of head.

S- The smell was pretty good for a lager. Had a mild sweetness and some floral hints.

T- This beer tasted like a typical lager with a little more sweetness to it. I could taste the hops more in this beer than any other lager I have tried recently.

M- This beer was very light and smooth with a mild carbonation.

O- This was a very light refreshing beer. Would be great on a hot day. I would recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys a good lager.

2.78/5  rDev -2.5%

A-Pours transparent straw yellow with hints of gold. A very small head is presented to me and sits for quite a bit.

S-Nearly no aroma coming from this beer. Lightly sweet and grainy, but it does not exhibit the more unattractive macro scents that are commonly found. THANK GOD FOR RICE LAGER.

T-Mellow. Simple. Doesn't leave too much of a poor flavor on the palate. Overall, quite mellow and inoffensive.

M-Light. Bright carbonation. Not much feeling left on the tongue after the sip.

O/D-All I will say is that it did not suck as bad I was expecting.

Sapporo Premium Beer from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.