Follow our progress ...

Sapporo Premium Beer | Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor

Sapporo Premium BeerSapporo Premium Beer

Sapporo Breweries Ltd.
Japan | website

Style: American Pale Lager

No adjunct. All barley lager.

Added by IronDjinn on 05-28-2003

Reviews: 620 | Ratings: 2,035
2.9/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a clear golden with a small, white head. Mild malt aroma. Mildly sweet malt flavour with corn, slightly bitter finish. Light body with a watery texture and soft carbonation.

3.46/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Look: Pale Yellow. Inch and a half of white fluffy head dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Not a lot here, but still pleasant. Light grains and sweet rice.

Taste:Fairly bright malts, though I was expecting it to be a little brighter. Barely pings any bitterness. The rice flavor is nice and balancing. Fairly refreshing.

Feel: Nothing to chew on here. Carbonation plays on the tongue for a while. Almost a little creamy.

Overall: This makes me think, "What if Budweiser was somewhat good." Its pretty alright for a Macro.

3.09/5  rDev +7.3%

650ml can, brewed in ontario, into nonic pint. "D2915" on the bottom of the can. gonna guess that that means it was packaged on april 29, 2015. consumed on june 12, 2015

a: transparent pale yellow with just over a finger of white head that disappeared while i was typing this portion of the review

s: a weak aroma consisting of sweet grainy rice, skunky notes, and mild grassy hops

t: follows the nose. not a lot happening in the front, but mid-palate is where the sweet rice emerges. mildly bitter finish

m: light-bodied, a bit watery, with medium-plus carbonation

o: tastes like rice, which i'm a sucker for. not much else going on though. enjoyable

1.82/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Had this at a local Chinese restaurant (for some reason). I figured, why the hell not?

I found the rice to be very prevalent in the can that was poured for me. It was so grainy and almost...salty, that I barely muscled it down.

I'm glad I finally got to try it, but I will not be trying it again.

2.86/5  rDev -0.7%

A light feeling beer, weak smelling and moderately carbonated. Light taste of rice with its lager taste and feel, with a moderate hoppy aftertaste like that of an ale. Easy to drink. Being my first Japanese style beer I wasn't disappointed.

3.27/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L: Pours brilliant straw producing a 1” rapidly disappearing white foam cap.
S: The nose is neither particularly big nor interesting, primarily composed of light grains, rise and a suspicion of hops.
T: Light grains on the palate – rice and light malts – with a light hop bitter accent on the finish. No perceptible hop flavor. A drying finish with above average rice flavor. Clean and crisp, with no apple, vegetal or sulfur flavors.
F: Light, with high levels of carbonation.
O: This is a light beer more noted for the flavors that it doesn’t have than for the ones it does.

2.5/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Rice water. There's nothing to it - I think I tasted the tin from the can. A little faint grain, and a whiff of malt... Basically inoffensive, but nothing I'd return to again.

3.24/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The beer pours out into Duvel glass a clear bright golden-straw yellow color with a 1/2" white head that soon recedes to ring around the glass and a thin layer of foam that becomes an irregular island on the surface. There is a lot of fine carbonation rising to the surface and sipping leaves behind small patches of foam which mostly slide back down into the liquid. Because of the nucleation point in the glass there's a visible small stream for carbonation heading to the surface and feeding that irregular thin island of foam.

The aroma is light with only a subtle hop character showing along with some faint honey-like sweetness. The light hop character seems both a bit floral and grassy and is both gentle and well integrated with the malt and rice.

The flavors mostly follow the nose in that there's some sweetness along with some light floral and grassy notes. What bitterness there is comes in late in the game and mostly just sits quietly on the back of the tongue.

The mouth feel is on the light side and there is some light crispness from the gentle carbonation. The finish is long and dry and ends on a slight bitter dry note that invites another sip.

While this is not going to be a beer of choice for me at home it is definitely drinkable and something one could easily have more than one of in an evening. It is smooth, crisp, and easy to drink. I'd also guess that those folks who thrive on strong flavors would not care for this beer but I'm finding it reasonably pleasant, but not challenging. That said I'll probably not buy more unless in a situation where it is basically the only choice as I prefer a bit richer flavor in my beers. However, at a Japanese restaurant I'd be quite happy to have it as it should pair quite well with the traditional cuisine.

2.87/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Precisely what I expected for the price and the style. You could drink worse beer. This pairs nicely with Asian food. I won't go hunting for it, but would order it in a restaurant.

2.87/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a pale straw color. Smells like a pils. Sweetness dominates the flavor profile but it is not a corny sweetness like an AAL. The finish is slightly dry.

2.06/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.25

I've seen this advertised as beer and malt liquor. I looked at the $3.49 price and figured it must be good and although it's a golden yellow color and smells great, there is no taste. It's water.

2.77/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Can
so with this really impressive container was expecting great things
it looks okay golden bodied but the white head just doesn't stick
there is a slight clove flavour some malt also in aroma but a huge amount of meh

2.78/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Poor head size, composition, and retention with this crystal clear brew. Not an inviting appearance.

One could easily mistake this beer for a standard AAL on the nose. On the palate, little is different: it isn't really offensive, but it's overly sweet and syrupy.

Mouthfeel is by far the redeeming quality: it's lively, active, light, and drinkable.

Still, I cannot in good conscience recommend this beer. Water is a better alternative.

2.94/5  rDev +2.1%

used to drink the hell out of this back in the day in college. First time I've had this in 20+ years. It's decent now, sweeter than I remember...but I'm used to porters and stouts.

3.04/5  rDev +5.6%

From a chilled can into my Bitburger Pilsner/lager glass.
A - clear yellow with a finger of head that dissipated into a thin ring quickly.
S - freshly toasted bread, sweet grains, faint lemon and hay.
T - sweeter than I expected. Grainy taste, with a hiss of lemony and grassy hops towards the end. I quite enjoyed this one. If only they could dial down the sweetness, I might fancy drinking this one regular basis.
M - tending towards light-medium, and the active carbonation makes it smoother than the norm.
O -a decent alternative to the regular AALs at a very affordable price of $6/6pk at TJs.

2.77/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From a can

A clear gold with a dense, white head that falls off to a ring slowly, this looks great! The nose is rather inoffensive. A mildly sweet, faintly hoppy, lemony character is present with some polished rice. Clean. The palate opens crisp if a bit watery, spritzy, a little lemony, a little earthy. No off-flavors. A little watery on the finish, but still quenching. Among the better pale lagers out there.Solid.

3.28/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Its good. Has a sweetish smell with a slight hint of sweetness but it goes down smooth with a hint of a nice kick. Problem is I don't feel like I'm drinking a beer from Japan.
Second review...
Second time was way better

1.94/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

L: Bright golden filtered beer.
S: Smells sweet, with notes of unprocessed sugar.
T: Taste is very sweet, lot´s of unfermented sugars make it unpleasant for me.
F: Low body low carbonation.
O: A light and sweet beer, with almost no malt taste or hop character.

The Sapporo we get in Mexico is made in Ontario, Canada. And it´s not a Rice Lager, but an American Adjunct Lager.

1.65/5  rDev -42.7%

if I get it right, it's not japanese-brewed one, but CA or US, and surpisingly(!) bad enough that I even didn't manage to drink that stuff to the end. this is a one per very few cases i didn't drink it to the end. i just don't get it. i don't even know where do you get that, I travelled through half a country and never saw this one on sale hre in Japan... something's really off here. anyway even if it's japanese one, it's highly unrecommended buy..

3.1/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

It's a beer beer. It tastes like beer and nothing more. No dynamic notes for aroma, taste, or feel, but I would not count this as a hated beer for me. If I'm eating hibachi, this still gets the job done.

3.5/5  rDev +21.5%

O.K...It's bad. However, I do believe that there are much more highly rated beers that are less refreshing and taste worst...It cleanses my palate while eating and ensure I buy a more quality brew on the ride home from our favorite Japanese place...which is great...

1.9/5  rDev -34%

The can says this beer is imported, but it also says it was brewed and canned in Ontario, Canada. So it was technically imported but not from Japan.

Appearance: Perfectly transparent gold body with a thin fluffy white head. Not the greatest head retention or lacing.

Aroma: There is not much aroma here. I get that "lager aroma" when I open the can but nothing discernible in the glass. I won't rate it a 1 because it doesn't smell bad...it just doesn't smell like anything.

Taste: Not much flavor here...a bit of a woody flavor as odd as that sounds.

Mouthfeel: There is an odd astringency in this beer, but it is very dry.

Overall: It wasn't an enjoyable beer to drink. The can was really cool looking though...

2.79/5  rDev -3.1%

There's no need to knock a macro or adjunct lager if it does it's job. This beer was thirst quenching and tasty and went well with my yellowtail and scallion rolls. Not something to pick apart and scrutinize, just gulp it down and enjoy with your Japanese food!

2.68/5  rDev -6.9%

650ml can, meaning the beer has a slight metallic taste, otherwise not bad, fairly generic lager if you ask me. As far as jap beer goes, better to stick with Kirin Ichiban if you ask me.

3.26/5  rDev +13.2%

Clear pale straw color. Foamy head that dies fast.

Overwhelming metallic smell with citrus.

Soft unique sweet taste that I enjoy. Fresh and crisp.

A Sake kind of bitter finish. Well balanced but dry.

Overall a very accessible beer with a bad smell...is the can bottle doing this?

Sapporo Premium Beer from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.