Sapporo Reserve - Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

Sapporo ReserveSapporo Reserve

good

Sapporo Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Japan

Euro Pale Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sapporo Reserve Alström Bros
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Polished orange peel, clear as a bell. An impressive amount of carbonation has resulted in a large crown of dark cream that contains a slight ecruish tint, like a marshmallow held briefly over a fire. There's a pretty impressive lace display as well... gobs of it are all over the upper third of the glass. This is one of the better looking EPLs that I've seen.

The nose is a step down, although it's still what I'd call better than average for the style. It's blonde malty with a touch of floral hops. Nothing to do cartwheels over, but the lack of even a hint of mustiness, staleness or other off-aromas gives it a leg up on its peers.

I'm trying my damndest to review Sapporo Reserve within the context of the style. In that sense, it's definitely better than most of the world's EPLs. I know that 'Euro' pale lagers have nothing to do with geography, but am I the only one who finds it odd to call beer from Japan, Euro <anything>? I guess its better than having style listings for JPLs, CPLs, BPLs, KPLs, ad infinitum. Okay, back to the beer...

The malt backbone is solid, with plenty of grain flavor. Sweet is almost perfectly balanced by bitter. There isn't much else bouncing around in there, just the basics. Again, the absence of any nastiness is one of this beer's prime selling points; and I say that without a trace of irony. I've had waaay too many substandard pale lagers in my life not to recognize a pretty good one.

Thanks to the somewhat generous malt load, the mouthfeel is solidly medium. A firm smoothness and an understated amount of carbonation keep the good impressions rolling along.

I think I've had two other Sapporo offerings prior to this one and I don't remember being too impressed. Maybe it's a case of low expectations being easily exceeded, but that doesn't change the fact that Reserve is good beer. If you're in the market for a JPL (Japanese pale lager), start here.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A decent mellow fizzy yellow beer that is actually darker and somewhat richer in flavor than many of this style, with a stronger bready malt profile and much more mellow hop bitterness than the famous European green bottle types. This to me has mixed results- it's less interesting in terms of balance, but it's much more drinkable. I'm not doing detailed tasting notes on this one as I am trying different reviewing styles. Here I am trying to compare it to style.

In the end, a decent drinkable beer. Pretty mellow and easy drinking, simple in its profile, but sometimes that a good thing.

3.23/5  rDev -0.3%

This has abit more pleasant taste than most Euro lagers that I've had. It doesn't have that skunky smell/taste to it, with the super malty body and stink hop finish. It didn't really have any huge tastes that stood out from the rest of the beer, which made it pretty balanced, but also bland. On the other hand, it was drinkable and didn't leave a nasty aftertaste. I think this would be a good session beer.

3.63/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation - the can is distinctive and stylish with its silver and gold coloring, grain sprigs and ever so slight bevelling on the can.

Appearance - solid golden hue approaching the color of the lower area of the can. A white fizzy head, a little off-white, recedes to a thin cap and laces fairly well.

Aroma - slightly sweet and crackery grain. Smells good although rather plain.

Taste - sweet, grainy, fairly good taste with a hint of metal. I don't know that I could identify it blindfolded, but I like it.

Mouthfeel - above average crispness, smoothness and body. Accentuates the best of this beer.

Drinkability - a tasty import, nothing special, but tasty.

2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

Fairly pricy in the "World Beers" section at Home Plus in Incheon today, but something about it sold me..6500 won, ouch. At least I'm getting 650ml in an attractive silver/gold can for my money. Strangely, the beer says "Product of Canada" plainly on the side. My atlas says Sapporo is in northern Japan.
Nice hearty golden color with disappointing head. Understated smell, some malts and sugars.
A little thin and not hoppy enough for me but there is something there..decent flavor. This is reasonably satisfying but doesn't quite go the distance.
This doesn't quite do it for me but isn't horrible, just boring.

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

Appearance: Pours an extremely clear true golden color with an active head of various sized bubbles that only retained for about a minute. There are quite a few bubbles rising to support the head after a few minutes.

Aroma: Mostly malt in the aroma, but there is some noticeable hops there also. It has a pretty pleasant aroma at first pour, and reminds me somewhat of a Munich Helles.

Taste: The aroma was a little misleading as to the flavor. The flavor is very subtle, and I suspect that adjuncts play a role in that fact. There is still some malt to be enjoyed in this beer, and I can honestly say that there is a bit more flavor in here than you get with some of the other commercialized Asian beers. The mouthfeel is practically non-existent with the light body and pretty high carbonation.

Opinion: Well...I can say that if you lined up all of the commercialized light Lagers, that this would be one of the first ones that I would pick up. It isn't my favorite beer, but it isn't the worst of the heap either. I wouldn't seek this one out, but if it turns out that this is the best the bar I am at has, I would drink this over water. I can't say the same for Miller.

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a golden with nice clarity and bubbles all over the place. Foamy head retains pretty well, a Sapporo trademark.

Grainy hop oil smell, not anything special.

Thin malt profile meets up with a slight graininess and a weak hoppy character. Oily hops leave an unpleasant residue on the tongue and back of mouth. Finishes dry.

Typical light bodied pale lager.

I prefer sapporo original to this anyday. Rice in beer is not always a bad thing.

2.1/5  rDev -35.2%

Slightly hazy golden color. Looked better in the can, which is quite an attractive aluminum can, so I poured it back into the can (after you read the rest of the review you'll see why).

Smell is very grain-alcohol-y, chemical, and fairly tame. Very similar to most domestic macros.

Taste is very light in all aspects, again with a macro character on the whole, and that annoying chemical taste. What is that taste? I can't find the right word.

Finish is short and dry.

The nice thing about this beer is the fancy can. Unlike regular Sapporo this can has nice barley designs on both sides of the can. very attractive. This beer is far more enjoyable straight from the can - if you must drink one at all.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This was a 16oz bottle of Sapporo Reserve. An all-malt beer.
The beer is a nice,nice golden color with a huge hefe like head. The head stays around a while and then recedes to about 1/4" and stays there. Very good lacing.There are a ton of bubbles that just will not stop racing to the top.
I rated the smell a little low because at first whiff I detected skunk. I was worried about the rest of my experience at that point.
I shouldn't have worried, this is a nice beer. It is all malt so there is absolutely no hop profile. I have to remember to rate by style!!! Good carbonation. Very clean, easy to drink. Great to chase down some spicy sushi after a long day. Good beer.

1.83/5  rDev -43.5%

Reviewed 03/31/04 and taken from notes. Color is straw but pours with a haze. Head is full bright white and carries a nice lace. Nose shows hints of grass and slight malt. Flavor is chemical like, something definately wrong with this sample. Body is very dry and reminds one of medicine. Finish in omne word is nasty, not good.

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

Presentation: 22oz impressive-looking can with no freshness date. Poured a clear, dark yellow color into the glass. There was about a two-inch thick head with very good retention. A moderate to high amount of carbonation is evident in this beer. The smell had strong grain and cereal characteristics. I wasn't terribly impressed by it, but it wasn't really bad either.

Tasting: This "all-malt beer" definitely had some hop bitterness to it. I let it warm up a little more, and it tasted much better. Some malt sweetness balanced out the bitterness. Again, corn, cereal, and rice flavors came through. In my mouth this beer felt a little bit harsh, similar to the lower-quality macro lagers. All in all, it wasn't a terrible beer, but it certainly wasn't great either. I'm neutral on this one.

Cool can, though...

3.23/5  rDev -0.3%

(Served in an imperial pint strange)

A- Pours a warm orange hue with a clear body and a strong carbonation. A medium size head that is pretty creamy.

S-Fairly clean aroma with a faint sweet light malt. No hops in the nose at all.

T- Nice mellow hop bitterness that flows into a sweet honey taste with just a hint of malt at the end. Crisp finish but the hops linger a bit with a hint of alcohol.

M- light mouthfeel but not really fizzy and no astringent taste either.

D- No major flaws with this beer its just not very exciting. The light hops and light malt are well balanced and compliment each other. It would be nice to drink with a meal that is very light, like sushi or tempura. However any dish that has any spice will overpower this beer in one bite.

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

Appearance – This one poured a bright and clear orangish-yellow in color with a big, lasting head.

Smell – This is straight grain with a hint of table sugar.

Taste – The grain is a little bit easier on the tongue than it is on the olfactory bulb, but the sweetish sugar is nasty.

Mouthfeel – This is light-bodied with a disappointing carbonation level.

Sinkability – I enjoyed their Japanese Rice Lager that they do, but this was just all wrong.

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

I'm not a big fan of the normal Sapporo, but I saw a bottle of this, with the label "All malt beer" on the neck. I'm up for extra malty.

It's a couple shades darker then the normal Sapporo, which puts it darker than many of your usual lagers. Always a good thing in my book. Not much on the nose aside from a little sweetness. Maybe a hop or two wouldn't have been so bad.

The taste is likewise a tad sweet, and the malt's there, but it's quickly bowled over by a hefty metallic aftertaste that's not altogether pleasent. Even so, this beer's quite a bit more tasty than the overall blandness of the normal Sapporo. I'll declare this my current favorite Japanese beer.

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a clear golden with a nice white head that leaves small traces of lace on the glass. There are bubbles a plenty in this attractive looking brew.

There is a pronounced grainy and malt aroma in this beer. There is actually more aroma here than I anticipated--pretty darn fragrant for the style.

The taste is also a bit surprising--lightly malty with a hint of bitterness in the finish. I actually think this is a llight lager that has some character. I don't know if I detect the flavor of rice or not--there is definitely a unique component to this beer as well.

This is a pretty thin beer, but that is to be expected. However, the carbonation is a little too strong for my liking. While it doesn't totally detract from the drinking experience, it does take away a bit from it.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It was much better than I expected. I will order this the next time I have sushi.

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

12/07/04- Purchased at Trader Joes in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 22 oz silver can poured into a large 24 oz beer mug. No freshness date on the can that I can find.

Appearance- Just rated the standard Sapporo and this one is about the same in all catagories. Huge foamy head, golden colored and nil lace.

Smell- A bit more smell from this one. Maybe a little more hoppy. Maybe some citrus?

Taste- Not as good as the premium IMO, but I guess it is a different type of beer. More malt taste in here and more hop flavor. Not as clean tasting to me. But still a good thirst quencher.

Mouthfeel- Ultra carbonated, but still goes down relatively easy.

Drinkability- Not bad. I have no idea why I am having these on a below 50 degree day, but, it's still pretty damn quenching.

3.35/5  rDev +3.4%

Yellowish gold, hazy color, with a massive, creamy looking head that has some pretty good retention, even once it turns to a lace. Faint grain smells, and some more prevalent floral smells.

A nice floral hop taste at the beginning, followed by a light malt flavor and some citrus taste, though there is a disappointing metallic taste at the end. Smooth and creamy to the mouth.

A pretty good beer. I love the can here, too. Unfortunately, that metallic taste brings my opinion of it down a bit, but it's not bad.

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a yellowed gold, topped with a three finger off-white puffy head.
Lemon zest aroma, biscuit and grain.
Grain, light caramel, lightly earthy, lemon zest and oranges, entirely lacking in bitterness.
Light to medium bodied, boring and not very drinkable.

2.6/5  rDev -19.8%

Orangey yellow. Very little head. Really weird smell, very difficult to identify. Some pumpkin, some bread, some apricot perhaps. Strange. I'm deciding on pumpkin for the smell. Smooth mouthfeel, very inoffensive, no bite like lagers often give. Metallic taste if anything. Very little flavor. I am struggling to find a taste and can't find one. Very boring and inoffensive. Finish is slightly more "there", kind of skunky.

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

The can looks like the original draft can, but the bottom of the can has a yellow, fire like pattern. Looks damn cool.

Poured a clear, pale yellow colour, with a fizzy head, that disappeared quite quickly. Left no lacing.

Very clean nose. Slightly grainy, metallic.

A very crisp and clean taste. Good amount of mid sip bitterness. After taste is try. Good amount of hops. Very refreshing. Grainy, a little metallic. Slight fruity sweetness.

Better than average lager. Definitely better than their original draft beer.

3.53/5  rDev +9%

Sampled this out of a huge, sturdy 22 Oz. can. Appearance is a medium golden with an above average head. Aroma is mildly sweet, but on the weaker side of beer smells. Reserve's aroma and appearance left me expecting a much more mundane beer than this turned out to be. Taste is pleasently sweet, malts instantly remind me of some malty sweet German brews. Caramel is dominant flavor here. The overall taste is well-rounded and off-taste free. Drinkability is very good; if this is malt liquor, like the can says it is, then it has to be the best malt liquor I've ever sampled.

2.3/5  rDev -29%

Beauty is only skin deep.
Appearance: beautiful thick rich frothy head atop a crystal clear golden brew
Smell: faint, but with pleasant, sweet, malty nose
Taste: medicinal bitterness assaults your tongue immediately, no real hop flavors, no significant malt backbone, just a brutal, unwelcome, ibuprofen bitterness
Mouthfeel: thin, average, but with it's taste, I couldn't give it a "3"
Drinkability: will not purchase again...ever

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

Golden in color, slightly cloudy, nice head with teflon lace (won't stick to the glass).

Although not noted anywhere on the glass, there are strong wheat notes in the aroma. Very crisp with slight orange and other citrus smells. A touch of sourness.

The taste is hopless. Malts and wheat-like flavors start the tasting, the citrus finishes. Highly carbonated; very dry; the aftertaste fizzles quickly.

An above average "lawn mower" beer.

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%

This is surprisingly a decent beer. A medium bodied pale lager with bright yellow color and medium white head. It has a rich, malty taste with no obvious adjuncty off flavors. Smooth mouthfeel with tight carbonation. Easy to drink and would go well with food. Also has comes in a very nice looking can that I might keep for decoration. Not an outstanding beer but very respectable for the style.

3.78/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours to a permanent white head and a bit of lace. Golden color. Aroma is of sweet grainy malt with balance of noble hops. Flavor suggests traditional pilsner brewing with malty sweetness and balancing hop bitterness. Finishes pleasantly grainy and bittersweet. No parching dryness. A respectable brew.

Sapporo Reserve from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.