Yebisu (Premium) - Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

Yebisu (Premium)Yebisu (Premium)

Sapporo Breweries Ltd. visit their website

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Naerhu on 03-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yebisu (Premium) Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color. It poured with a moderate sized head consisting of big bubbles that never completely faded away and left some lacing along with a thick ring on the surface around the edge of the glass.
S: There are sweet aromas of adjunct malts in the nose—corn seems to stand out in particular along with some notes of grain.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell and has flavors of corn along with notes of grainy malts. There is a bit of initial sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. The finish leaves a good amount of dryness in your mouth.
O: This beer is easy to drink but the taste isn’t overly special. It’s not that bad compared to some of the other beers in the style.

3.56/5  rDev +4.4%

"I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese,
I really think so."

--The Vapors (and their veiled paean to onanism)

Particulate-flecked goldenrod with a slight orangish tint. The eggshell colored head displays a magma-like surface with popping bubbles galore. The cap lingers for a while, eventually laying down a decent amount of thick lace in small sheets. I like unkempt looking beer.

The nose is just okay for the style. On the good side, it smells like fresh grain. Unfortunately, there's very little hoppiness, which is surprising. I do get a whiff of sweet, floral hops, but like the aroma in general, it isn't outgoing enough.

Yebisu tastes scarily similar to legions of Euro pale lagers emanating from Eastern Europe. There's an acceptable malt structure with a mildly sweet, untoasted grain flavor. Hops are more prominent on the palate. Trouble is, I don't care for the varieties chosen. I'm guessing that German nobles are in use, which is probably what's responsible for my impressions of an average Czech pilsener or an EPL.

Hops outlast malt, as they so often do. The result is that the finish is bitingly hoppy and impressively dry. Thanks to the generous amount of ingredients, the mouthfeel is solidly medium, maybe even medium-full for the style. I approve.

Super Premium Yebisu Stout Draft (everything except 'Yebisu' is a misnomer) grew on me with drinking. It will never make me forget my favorites of the style, but was enjoyable while it lasted. It makes no serious missteps and is worth a look if you happen to run across a bottle.

3.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured a deep yelow color with minimal head,smel of pretty much nothing maybe a tad of sweetness.Taste was malty and maybe some apple tartness but pretty weak in the flavor department,highly carbonated and a little thin on the mouth.Was expecting more not to impressed with this.

3.85/5  rDev +12.9%

Firstly, I find it odd that the bottle of Yebisu I'm about to taste was brewed and bottled in Tokyo, yet the bottle of Sapporo Reserve I had earlier came from Canada. Odd, but that's business I guess, so OK....

Yebisu is an all malt beer and that's reflected in the color. It's a deep golden, and crystal clear. I can almost see my fingerprints through the glass, and fine bubbles rise steadily to the surface indicating that there's some sort of body there to keep them at that pace. The short but creamy head holds for a few short moments, receeds, and then thins to a whispy surface covering, leaving behind only minor spots of lace about the glass.

The nose expresses sweetish grainy malt and bright, floral and lightly spicy and woody/herbal hops.

In the mouth it's medium bodied with a creaminess as the beer warms and foams. It's delicately tingly, then creamy. Smooth.

The flavor is very much as the aroma indicates, and it's surprisingly bitter at about 35 IBU's - somewhere along the lines of a German pilsner. So that's what you get here, more malt, more hops, and more bitterness than usual. Is it worth it? Yes, I think it's a really solid lager with a firm malt base, interesting hop flavors, and a rigid bitterness backing it. It's anything but a mass-produced adjunct lager. It finishes clean and dry with a lingering bitterness and some herbal and floral hop character.

Very nicely done! Certainly worth trying.

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Pours a crystal clear yellow with light amounts of visible carbonation. The head is just a thin layer of white bubbles and dissipates immediately. Very minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Aromas are of sweet adjunct malts (primarily corn and grain). Very mild aroma overall.

T: The flavor matches the smell, adjunct malts (corn and grain), some sweetness, and a slight bitterness on the finish.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slight hint of dryness in the finish.

O: Nothing special but not bad... probably would describe it as average for the style. Easy to drink and could be a session beer but personally I don't want to have a lot of this beer (I would save my time/money for something I enjoyed more).

4.09/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I love having a local, in-person trader like tone77 who not only makes a far out trip to the Far East, but brings back some CANned beers for me in the process!

From the CAN: "Yebisu Traditional Brew"; "Yebisu Beer is a rich abd mellow premium beer brewed from 100% fine malt and select hops with Sapporo's traditional art."

The previous beer made me a little nervous with its propensity to foam up and overflow, so I went with a more gentle pour on this one. It was still slightly foamy, perhaps due to heat and humidity, but it was under CANtrol all the same. Two fingers of rocky, bone-white head were the result and I watched it as it slowly bubbled and popped its way out of existence. Color was a gorgeous golden-yellow and I could only laugh as Croesus, Mammon and King Midas fought for a drop. Nose was very honey-like, very much like a clean, unadulterated lager. From a CAN?!? I am already a fan. I CANnot tell you how many AALs in a CAN that I have been subhected to and it is never pleasant. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and I caught a grassy hoppiness that made me think of a GER Pils, but I will buy Dortmunder. Finish was pretty dry, a real gem on this hot, humid day. I really liked the grassy finish and might CANsider it for a lawnmower beer CANdidate.

3.36/5  rDev -1.5%

Another Sapporo beer, eh? Unlike some of its siblings, Yebisu is actually brewed in Japan. But the bottle is only a 334 ml size. Well, shall I move on to the beer?

Big, creamy, and puffy dense head on top a body of semi-hazy goldenrod. The aroma is very sweet, akin to honey, with a pinch of cardboard, meh....tastewise, this is a pretty good beer. The hops come right off the bat and greet the palate. Malt level is high, providiing a strong and sweet flavor without anything nasty. Hint of aspirin, floral, and herbs. Crackery too. The body is medium, though it's a bit more snappy in feel than I'd like it to be.

This is a simple, yet flavorful pale lager. Sadly, the high price tag for a single bottle of this will have me choosing Sapporo/Sapporo Reserve over this the next time I want a Japanese lager.

3.41/5  rDev 0%

A 12 oz. can brought back from Japan. Pours a brilliant clear gold with a tall white head and thick lacing. This is a great looking beer.

The aroma is a simpler pale, toasty barley aroma, more like a nice premium-style lager after pouring. The flavor follows with a similarly dull malt profile but there's a growing hop presence as the beer warms and eventually there's a pleasant citrus rind and pepper flavor. This turns into a lovely spicy hop aftertaste and a surprisingly taste beer overall.

Make sure to let this one warms up, it's nothing incredibly special, but for a mass-produced beer its pretty respectable.

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a gold yellow with a light white head, fair retention, standard pale lager look.

S: Some bready malt and husky grain, but not a huge nose by any means.

T: Lighter flavour than I expected out of the all-malt label. Good pilsner-style malt, soft noble hop flavour but light.

M: This was good. Medium-bodied for the style, with a nice creamy mouthfeel, well done.

D: I've certainly had better Dortmunders, this was a bit of a letdown. Had it with some Chinese food and it seemed to work there.

3.75/5  rDev +10%

Clear light golden colored lager with a good sized head.

Clean and strong Nobel hop scent with a biscuit malt backing. Herbal and clean there is a slight lemon aroma.

The taste starts out Clean and VERY malty for a lager. Hops are present but not that strong just an herbal and lemon aftertaste. OK bitterness but this is actually on the malty side of the equation.

Quite a great mouthfeel for a lager here.

Good beer though I prefer much more hop bite. Still I would drink this again.

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

A: poured a translucent golden yellow in color with a thin head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: very grainy aroma upfront alongside sweetness from the malts hints of citrus and spice as well.

T: the malty sweetness dominated the taste with some mild citrus, spice accents and a variety of grainy bready flavors.

M: the brew was medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a sweet, mild citrusy, grainy, and crisp finish.

D: was a decent dortmunder that was drinking really good and went really well paired with some yakitori and sushi.

3.65/5  rDev +7%

Poured a dark straw hue with a one and a half finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a moderately doughy malt and fresh grassy hop.

The taste consisted of a clean cereal malt with a bright balancing hop.

The mouthfeel was typical of the style with a moderate carbonation.

Overall a pleasant and easy to drink lager.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Coming in a 350ml can, produced in 09/2009, BB 05/2010, served lightly-chilled in a straight pilsner glass.

A: pours a dark yellow-ish straw hue, coming with semi-lively streams of small- and large-sized bubbles and a thin layer of white pillowy head.
S: actually the nose resembles Helles and Pilsener by 50-50, that the floral hints of hops come on a par with a lightly sweet and doughy sourness and rather clean grainy malts. A swirl highlights the maltiness with an additional touch of cream, but only just. Not bad.
T: the mildly-flavoured swallow of semi-grainy malts quickly gives way to an intensifying flow of floral hop bitterness and, along with it, a pleasantly dry undertone. In line with the tradition of Sapporo beers, this lager finishes really dry, thus making it more like a German Pilsener than a Helles lager. Plus, the malt flavour remains restrained throughout the drink, while in the end an interesting salty edge skirts the dry-ish touch, rendering a quaffable and inviting finish in each sip.
M&D: lightly carbonated, light-bodied, the flavour profile gears towards the dry and bitter side of hops not unlike the German Pilsener style. I once tried the bottle version and to my best collection this canned version is not too different - all in all a pretty decently-made dry lager.

2.82/5  rDev -17.3%

Thick white head, leaves a lot of lace, golden color. Nose is clearly skunky and not stout-like. Indeed the label has stout draft but this is a whole new definition of stout - not dark nor medium/heavy bodied. Label is veeery misleading and won't be purchased again even at $2,75 for 16oz.

2.79/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Still in Tokyo and back at the hostel enjoying some beer. Poured from a 11.2 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, a touch of malts. Taste is also mild, some malts, dry at the finish, lacking in flavor or punch. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a sub par beer.

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear goldenc olour with a smooth, foamy white head. Fair head retention.

Crisp, grainy aroma with a herbal, grassy hop note.

Light, crisp malt with some carbonic bite. Quite bitter.

Medium-light body with moderately-high carbonation. Good.

A crisp, clean, bitter lager. While it's nothing special it is nice and refreshing.

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

I had this on a JAL flight to Tokyo today. I don't think it's marketed to America in great (if any) numbers, so I took the chance to try it.

The appearance was really good, surprisingly good lacing on the glass and nice dry-looking foam in general. The aroma is neutral malty, pretty good. The flavor was all malt, nice for the style. Very drinkable, I had two in quick succession.

2.06/5  rDev -39.6%

The average pour a golden yellow, the head modest in size, bright white, frothy, the lace a fine sheet to coat the glass. Nose is all malt, lightly sweet, crisp and clean. Sweet malt start, top cadaverous, finish is strikingly acidic, hops apropos to the style, dry aftertaste.

2.7/5  rDev -20.8%

This beer is a study in contradictions: The label calls it a "Stout Draft" in one place (and who knows that that is), then it reads "100% malt" and "brewed from 100% fine barley malt and select hops" elsewhere. Which is it?

Anyway, this is definitely the best Asian beer I have come across so far, but still not a great brew. Still, I think Sapporo may be on to something. Pours a very orange color with a medium off-white head. Medium sweet malt aroma. Lightly sweet malt flavor and medium effervescence. There was some hops in the finish but everything seemed understated about this beer. Nothing really stood out, but if I am in Japan I will order this before a Sapporo or Kirin.

2.65/5  rDev -22.3%

Bought a bottle of this little number at a Teppanyaki restaurant and was told by some dude who I'd only just met that it was the most expensive Japanese beer available in Australia. Didn't do much for my expectations since I've been very unimpressed with beers from Japan or indeed the entire Asian continent.

My first look at the pouring didn't help, either. A very normal and very lagery appearance - amber coloured, not very much carbonation - which I guess could be a good thing since I'm not a huge fan of fizzy beers - and a fair, soft head. I mean, outrageously standard and lagery in appearance. I expected a slightly bitter, slightly-rough but ultimately refreshing drop.

I was similarly unimpressed with the nose, again fairly standard lager. A slight hint of honey but minimal and not enough for me to waver from my belief that this would taste very much like your average Asian beer. Mostly just hops and water on the nose.

Then for the first taste - and first surprise. It was actually surprisingly flavoursome. A lot of hops and a fair herby flavour to it. Slightest sourness on the back palatte but there really isn't much of a back palatte anyway so it's quite noticeable. None of this was really expected given the nose and appearance. It didn't really taste like the standard chugging lager I had expected, although there were touches of that flavour in there. I have to say, it's not the most pleasant-tasting beer I've ever drunk, slightly too sour for my taste, not much of an aftertaste and still not as flavoursome as I like. Having said that though, this is worthy of a lot more respect than the watery swills known as Kirin Ichiban, or Yanjing - to name just two. It's not something I'd drink all the time, but it certainly is a respectable drinking lager.

3.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on draft in Japan.

This lager poured a clear, golden yellow color with thick, creamy, white foam that had good staying power and left a coating on the glass. The smell was faint and malty. The taste was light: slightly sweet malt, hints of hops (floral and bitter) in the background. The mouthfeel was clean and smooth with medium-light body and medium carbonation. The aftertaste was mildly hoppy. This was an easy-drinking lager on tap.

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yebisu is one of my favorite canned beers to drink simply because the malty flavor carries through even packaged in such a medium. Often, canned beers lose so much of their magic that is normally found in bottles or especially via tap (take Guinness as a perfect example). However, as far as canned beer goes, Yebisu is amazing. Full of malt, wheat-flavored with a bit of citrus in the aftertaste, this beer goes particularly well with things like Korean BBQ or curry with some spice. I often pour it into a glass, and any pilsner or tulip style glass will do, depending on how much head you want on it. The only negative side to this canned version that does not bother me when it comes from the tap is the excess gas in the beer that translates to some nasty burps. I've had Yebisu in all forms (even from the brewery in Ebisu, Tokyo), and this only seems to happen when I drink it from the can. However, since that does affect my overall image of the beer, I do have to stick with this ranking for now. If you have a chance to have it from the tap, I would recommend it, as it easily would rank a 4+.

3.65/5  rDev +7%

The beer poured ever so slightly hazy with fine chunks in the pale straw golden beer. The head was white and tall and lasted to lace the glass.

The aroma was saaz hops as first poured and then settled into a malt tone with saaz hopping playing the backup role. The aroma from the malt also contained a light caramel impression.

The flavor was malty and sweet with a light caramel flavor and a crisp hop bitterness that was substantial enough to balance the malt.

The finish was even with a crispness that caused the beer to dry out in the final stages of the aftertaste. The body was medium. The beer actually has a bit of alcohol warming that becomes apparent the longer you sit after consumption.

16 ounce bottle. Not the most interesting beer I have ever had, but if I was in Japan, at least I would know of a beer I might be able to locate that had a bit of flavor.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Presentation: 16oz custom Sapporo bottle. Label states that this is a 100% malt brew, a super premium stout (as in strong) draft. A chubby, cheerful character holds a large red fish and a fishing pool. No freshness date.

Appearance: A bright, clear, light golden with a very nice bubbly white foam head. The lively carbonation keeps a thin ringed lace with some stick.

Smell: Quite aromatic with a distinct floral nose and faint grain. Very clean smelling.

Taste: Interesting and unique falvour. Malt flavour is incredibly smooth and creamy on the palate, lightly fruity, sweet with grain flavours and a crisp medium body fullness. A mellow malt richness can be detected in the consistency. Hops are lightly bitter, a little lemony, floral and tea-like towards the end. Finishes clean with some slickness on the palate.

Notes: This is a rather good imported lager. Totally beats the pants off of so many, and could possibly be the best out of the entire Sapporo line-up of beers. The fact that it is ceramic cold-filtered also comes across in the overall finish of the beer.

The beer is named after one of the 7 Shinto gods of goodluck, Yebisu is a gentle god that brings wealth. Yebisu beer was first brewed in 1887.

Thanks to Yukiko Ueyama of Sapporo USA, Inc. for the fresh samples.

2.64/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can given to me by my host family in Japan while eating their teriyaki feast for dinner

Pour was very nice with a huge head and a nice golden color

Taste was not bad, but not overpowering in any sense and did not last long either

Could drink a lot of these because I did that night

Family thought I was weird when I was taking notes on this beer, did not understand the concept

Yebisu (Premium) from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.