Sapporo Original Draft Beer - Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

Sapporo Original Draft BeerSapporo Original Draft Beer

poor

Sapporo Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Japan

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sapporo Original Draft Beer Alström Bros

Brilliant orangish yellow color with a bone-white head that resolves quickly while it takes on an appearance of stiff egg whites. Triumphant orange. Victory orange. I put it to my nose.

"At last," I think to myself, "A quality beer that I prefer cold!" My pipes feel even hotter in anticipation. The first sips are full of wonder. I absorb the brisk, culinary form before me. A translucent patch of fine bubbles forms a perfect equilateral triangle on the surface. Aromas are sweet like honey. Pure, bright Alpine flowers
and their nectar,
and the milk of the cows that graze on them,
and the sweet Emmenthaler made from it.
Fluffy, white, unsweetened meringue. Cereal-box marshmallows. That's the appeal. Now, on to the structure:
A. Stalky, celery bitterness.
B. Driving Champagne-like fizz.
C. Grain tannins.
No char, no caramel, no coffee, no fudge, no vanilla, no cocoa, no burnt sugar.
Just stemminess and threads of fizz, snug on the tongue. The flavors of this beer perfectly occupy the space laid out for them by the alcohol. They fit like fingers in a glove. Supple when cold, like frozen, whole cream....
Rich. Golden. Sunlight. Truth.
Behold.

4.75/5  rDev +61.6%

4.5/5  rDev +53.1%

4.5/5  rDev +53.1%

4.33/5  rDev +47.3%

It poured a golden straw color with a nice three finger head. Minimal activity could be seen, but the head left some great lacing behind as it retreated.

It had that alcohol/rice smell that I typically attribute to a rice brewed product. There was a nice sweet undetone.

Very neutral, no real taste at first. It then gave way to a light pseudo malt flavor, I was not expecting that out of a rice beer.

There was a little bit of a metallic aftertaste that I find typical when drinking beer stored in a can. (It's not the brewers fault that the distributor only provides a beer in one type of container. I will not take this into account when I score the beer.)

It had a great mouthfeel. Crisp, cool, refreshing. Wet and light with a nice back of the palate dry finish.

A little different. But I could drink a couple of these in a sitting.

4.25/5  rDev +44.6%

4.2/5  rDev +42.9%

I have saved my first review for this, and I have held back for good reason.
I have held out on reviewing all the other beers I have endured, which is to say that all of the macro beers on the north american continent that I can think of ( canadian, american and mexican). I think this should become the watermark for american (mainly U.S.) macro. Especially since if you have enough to afford them, you can afford this. There isnt nearly as much corn and rice flavor as in the macros, you can let this warm up and sit for a while and its still is palletable, as opposed to the U.S. macros that become undrinkable. Actually there are some that cant be drank unless they are ICE cold. Definantly worth being stocked.

4.05/5  rDev +37.8%

12/07/04- Purchased at Trader Joes in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 22 oz can with no freshness date. Poured into a large 24 oz beer mug.

Appearance- Pours a light yellow with a large white bubbly head that soon disappears and next to no lacing.

Smell- Very clean. Not much scent. Rice and maybe a bit of malt and hops.

Taste- I have always thought of Sapporo as one my favorite thirst quenchers during the summer months. Yet, by many it gets a bad rap. Definite rice taste, and kind of sweet and dry at the same time. You can taste some hops and a little malt. Very crisp and refreshing.

Mouthfeel- Very high level of carbonation, but when drank cold, I don't give a crap. It's serves it's purpose. Quenching my thirst.

Drinkability- I could drink these things all day while working in the yard, etc...It's a beer you have to drink cold though. I don't know what it would taste like warmed up and I don't want to find out.

3.96/5  rDev +34.7%

3.95/5  rDev +34.4%

This is one of my favourite asian beers. Though at this time, I'm consuming it from a can, I have poured it before and it is a golden, straw colour. It has a very light weight smell to it and lightweight taste, as well. A tiny bit of biscuit (I think, personally) an a light carbonation which accounts for its drinkability. This stuff is almost thirst quenching. I can chug this stuff with no problem. If you're wanting a deep, flavourful beer you can drink and pick apart, get something from Bavaria. If you want a cold beer you guzzle, but don't want some mainstream foolishness like Bud or Coors, grab a Sapporo.

Sapporo Original Draft Beer from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.