Sapporo Original Draft Beer - Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

Sapporo Original Draft BeerSapporo Original Draft Beer

poor

Sapporo Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Japan

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001)
View: Beers (30) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sapporo Original Draft Beer Alström Bros
bmcduff2

Georgia

01-24-2012 08:41:33 | More by bmcduff2
brett606

07-05-2013 00:01:28 | More by brett606
feloniousmonk

1.15/5  rDev -60.8%

I could blame the can, or maybe this sample was less than fresh, but here goes, my experience with Sapporo-in-a-can...
Clear, pale golden color, large fluffy white head. Aroma actually reeks of adjuncts, definitely smells of corniness. Dry, mineraly, notes of straw and grain, and slight sweet undertones. Mouthfeel is rough and unpleasant. Each sip draws my face into a wince, and that's definitely not a good sign. Very hollow, with a finish I can only describe as obnoxious. At the end, an unexpected and bizarre blast of heat comes through, adding to what amounts to an extraordinarily unpleasant beer drinking experience.
22oz. can, which I had to dump not halfway through. I didn't have this much trial when I'd consumed the bottled version!
Blech!
Blech!
and what else?
Bleeech!!!!

02-23-2003 17:27:21 | More by feloniousmonk
hero27

1.18/5  rDev -59.7%

12oz bottle.

Pours a clear yellow/gold color..very little head, what is left recedes to a ring and leaves no lacing. Smell is grainy, macro-ish..but worse..a tinge of bad hops perhaps? borderline metallic aroma and taste, and certainly not appealing in any conceivable way. Light, thin mouthfeel..drinkability could be rather good if you'd had the benefit of having your tastebuds removed before drinking this.
I struggled to down the last half of this beer. Is this the worst beer I've ever had? I'm not sure...but it's definitely a top contender.

12-04-2005 23:56:59 | More by hero27
Reidrover

Oregon

1.23/5  rDev -58%

Bought in the 22 oz strange shaped silver can.."Brewed and canned by Sapporo breweries Tokyo,Japan"
Pours a nice yellow, very crystal clear, small head which miraculously lingers long.Nice carbonation strings.
mmm very macro aroma, load of cheap malts and other rather sickly sweet smells, not good at all.
Tastes very thin and watery , this taste is very very subdued.There is a bitterness but not what I would consider a good hop bitterness, hasa slight "chemical" solvent taste yuk
Very average macro feel in the mouth, this could be Budweiser..thin and over carbonated.
Its drinkable, i suppose,. if you are dieing of thirst..I wasn't!

I was not impressed with this beer one bit. It's overpriced but I can see this would be popular with the Bud drinking masses.
I could not even finish the can , I poured a full half of this beer down the sink..forgive me Beer Gods!

03-16-2003 00:13:14 | More by Reidrover

xuptygm

Nebraska

1.53/5  rDev -47.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Blue Sushi in Omaha had these on special for $1 so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I guess you get what you pay for though. I have never really looked into Japanese beer before so I was excited to give this one a try. Turns out it is pretty much the Japanese equivalent to an American Macro Brew. This beer had no smell to it whatsoever and tasted pretty much the same. I can't complain to much for a buck, but I won't ever be drinking this one again.

09-18-2011 19:46:46 | More by xuptygm
Boilermaker88

1.7/5  rDev -42%

Picked this one up at a local Asian food market. Also available in nearly every grocery store. Presented in a can that looks positively nuke-proof. The beer itself has a straw yellow color and a foamy, bubbly white head that quickly recedes to a thin cap. The aroma was of grainy pale malt and a bit on the sour side, sort of like old wet straw. The taste said, “I’ve been cooped up in this can for a while.” Flavors of adjuncts – corn, mainly – and somewhat grainy maltiness up front before those flavors are pushed aside in favor of a bitter metallic taste that lingered well into the finish (and beyond). The feel was light, thin and fizzy.
God, I hate cans. Of course, I don’t think this brew would have been that much better from a bottle or an draft. Overall, another sub-par Japanese beer.

11-16-2003 18:04:20 | More by Boilermaker88

South Carolina

12-10-2013 05:57:52 | More by Alex5
Beastdog75

1.8/5  rDev -38.6%

Although it has been said many times, I'll say it again: the Sapporo can rocks. A piece of modern art that gives the beer a formidable aura. What's inside the can is another story.

Sapporo Draft pours a yellow straw color with a decent foamy white head that lasts for around 30 seconds. The smell is pretty clean, perhaps a little more adjuncty/husky than the bottled Premium beer. The mouthfeel is thin and very fizzy. The taste of the can is quite evident in the flavor. Bitter metal taste, some grainy adjunct taste. Moderate hop bitterness. Aftertaste tastes like the can. A drying effect lasts for a little bit in the back of the mouth. Sapporo finishes off with a little alcoholic warmth.

I found this difficult to drink. Liquid metal has never been one of my favorite beverages. What little flavor is present in this beer just isn't very good.

08-23-2003 02:48:03 | More by Beastdog75
thinkbreakfast

1.93/5  rDev -34.1%

There is a strong possibility that there was something wrong with the can of sapporo that I bought.

The appearance and smell were standard for the style. Nothing to comment on here. The real action came from the taste. The only way I can describe it is that it tasted like an asprin tablet dissolved in seltzer water. Very artificial tasting bitterness; definately not from hops.

Like I said, I can only hope that I got a bad can. If I can bring myself to buy another and it tastes better, I will update this review.

06-29-2004 21:15:22 | More by thinkbreakfast
DrunkMcDermott

1.95/5  rDev -33.4%

22 oz. artsy can. Um, so this is “dry?” Really? There's a nice smell when you first flip the can tab, but it doesn't carry over into the taste. Less malt taste to come through, which makes me think of adjuncts. Sure enough, the taste is gone as soon as I swallow. I suppose it would go good with food, but so would an instant iced tea. “Draft” should imply that it’s filtered instead of pasteurized, but I get none of that here. Just barley water.

12-08-2003 14:35:46 | More by DrunkMcDermott

12-06-2013 06:54:41 | More by NonicPanic
Jotora

Ontario (Canada)

01-09-2014 00:57:15 | More by Jotora
Sapporo Original Draft Beer from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.