Sapporo Original Draft Beer - Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

Sapporo Original Draft BeerSapporo Original Draft Beer

poor

Sapporo Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Japan

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sapporo Original Draft Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 430 | Reviews: 111
1.18/5  rDev -59.9%

I could blame the can, or maybe this sample was less than fresh, but here goes, my experience with Sapporo-in-a-can...
Clear, pale golden color, large fluffy white head. Aroma actually reeks of adjuncts, definitely smells of corniness. Dry, mineraly, notes of straw and grain, and slight sweet undertones. Mouthfeel is rough and unpleasant. Each sip draws my face into a wince, and that's definitely not a good sign. Very hollow, with a finish I can only describe as obnoxious. At the end, an unexpected and bizarre blast of heat comes through, adding to what amounts to an extraordinarily unpleasant beer drinking experience.
22oz. can, which I had to dump not halfway through. I didn't have this much trial when I'd consumed the bottled version!
Blech!
Blech!
and what else?
Bleeech!!!!

1.18/5  rDev -59.9%

12oz bottle.

Pours a clear yellow/gold color..very little head, what is left recedes to a ring and leaves no lacing. Smell is grainy, macro-ish..but worse..a tinge of bad hops perhaps? borderline metallic aroma and taste, and certainly not appealing in any conceivable way. Light, thin mouthfeel..drinkability could be rather good if you'd had the benefit of having your tastebuds removed before drinking this.
I struggled to down the last half of this beer. Is this the worst beer I've ever had? I'm not sure...but it's definitely a top contender.

1.26/5  rDev -57.1%

Bought in the 22 oz strange shaped silver can.."Brewed and canned by Sapporo breweries Tokyo,Japan"
Pours a nice yellow, very crystal clear, small head which miraculously lingers long.Nice carbonation strings.
mmm very macro aroma, load of cheap malts and other rather sickly sweet smells, not good at all.
Tastes very thin and watery , this taste is very very subdued.There is a bitterness but not what I would consider a good hop bitterness, hasa slight "chemical" solvent taste yuk
Very average macro feel in the mouth, this could be Budweiser..thin and over carbonated.
Its drinkable, i suppose,. if you are dieing of thirst..I wasn't!

I was not impressed with this beer one bit. It's overpriced but I can see this would be popular with the Bud drinking masses.
I could not even finish the can , I poured a full half of this beer down the sink..forgive me Beer Gods!

1.53/5  rDev -48%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Blue Sushi in Omaha had these on special for $1 so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I guess you get what you pay for though. I have never really looked into Japanese beer before so I was excited to give this one a try. Turns out it is pretty much the Japanese equivalent to an American Macro Brew. This beer had no smell to it whatsoever and tasted pretty much the same. I can't complain to much for a buck, but I won't ever be drinking this one again.

1.73/5  rDev -41.2%

Picked this one up at a local Asian food market. Also available in nearly every grocery store. Presented in a can that looks positively nuke-proof. The beer itself has a straw yellow color and a foamy, bubbly white head that quickly recedes to a thin cap. The aroma was of grainy pale malt and a bit on the sour side, sort of like old wet straw. The taste said, “I’ve been cooped up in this can for a while.” Flavors of adjuncts – corn, mainly – and somewhat grainy maltiness up front before those flavors are pushed aside in favor of a bitter metallic taste that lingered well into the finish (and beyond). The feel was light, thin and fizzy.
God, I hate cans. Of course, I don’t think this brew would have been that much better from a bottle or an draft. Overall, another sub-par Japanese beer.

1.83/5  rDev -37.8%

Although it has been said many times, I'll say it again: the Sapporo can rocks. A piece of modern art that gives the beer a formidable aura. What's inside the can is another story.

Sapporo Draft pours a yellow straw color with a decent foamy white head that lasts for around 30 seconds. The smell is pretty clean, perhaps a little more adjuncty/husky than the bottled Premium beer. The mouthfeel is thin and very fizzy. The taste of the can is quite evident in the flavor. Bitter metal taste, some grainy adjunct taste. Moderate hop bitterness. Aftertaste tastes like the can. A drying effect lasts for a little bit in the back of the mouth. Sapporo finishes off with a little alcoholic warmth.

I found this difficult to drink. Liquid metal has never been one of my favorite beverages. What little flavor is present in this beer just isn't very good.

1.96/5  rDev -33.3%

22 oz. artsy can. Um, so this is “dry?” Really? There's a nice smell when you first flip the can tab, but it doesn't carry over into the taste. Less malt taste to come through, which makes me think of adjuncts. Sure enough, the taste is gone as soon as I swallow. I suppose it would go good with food, but so would an instant iced tea. “Draft” should imply that it’s filtered instead of pasteurized, but I get none of that here. Just barley water.

Average beer, better than american domestic drafts but only drink when it is the only option

There is a strong possibility that there was something wrong with the can of sapporo that I bought.

The appearance and smell were standard for the style. Nothing to comment on here. The real action came from the taste. The only way I can describe it is that it tasted like an asprin tablet dissolved in seltzer water. Very artificial tasting bitterness; definately not from hops.

Like I said, I can only hope that I got a bad can. If I can bring myself to buy another and it tastes better, I will update this review.

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Having to justify my rating with a review is highly annoying.

2.05/5  rDev -30.3%

Appearance is a bit cloudier than many beers. Head vanishes without a trace in almost no time at all. Smell is faint. Tastes like it smells. Not really bad in any way, but it's a bit bland. More than drinkable, but not really impressive in any way. Not really worth the inflated pricetag that seems to come with it.

2.11/5  rDev -28.2%

22 oz. can that can presumably be called a metal bomber. Clear light gold color, lots of visible carbonation. Small white bubbly head. Just a layer on top of the beer. Smell is metallic and slightly malty. Taste is thin and grainy, no hops anywhere, with a metallic funk that makes this rather unenjoyable. Just an average, at best, lager. Get it above BMC, but I tend to stay away from Japanese beer brewed in Guelph, Ontario...

2.11/5  rDev -28.2%

A- Very clear light yellow color with a decent white head with ok retention. Some lacing.

S- Smells of rice and a little bit of hops

T- Tastes a mixture of ricey metallic with little complexity. Nothing special.

M- Decent carbonation but not as smooth as I thought it would be.

D- Overall I wasn't impressed. It tasted like a ricey version of the American Macro light beers.

2.15/5  rDev -26.9%

I did not like this one. It has more flavor than the big American macros, but the flavor is a bit of a putrid flavor. It is not overly bitter, for I cannot detect any real hops. I struggle to pinpoint the taste. It basically tastes like spoiled corn I would say. Overall, it does not go down very well. It is no better than Bud or Coors or MGD.

2.15/5  rDev -26.9%

got a $25 dollar gas card when I won an "employee of the month" type thing, used most of it for gas but bought this can just becuase it was in the gas station shop and I had never reviewed it.
"poured from the 22 oz can into my new belgium goblet"

A big 2 + fingers of bleach white head. settles to a sticky film with negligible lacing
(note - this is in a tin can! takes me back to the 70's - even has a seam)

s: my first thought: MACRO. that all to familiar slightly metallic tinge - but otherwise "crisp and clean" are what I can think of to say that's nice

t: pretty tasteless. mostly just a foamy mouthful, but just a hint of flavor that's hard for me to put a name to not bad but sort of - plasticy?

m ; very foamy in the mouth, also watery in a big way

d: hugely drinkalbe. good candidtate for beer bonging. NOT a quality brew by any measure.
get more - as long as it's free (grins)

2.15/5  rDev -26.9%

Huge carbonation - looks so much like a soft drink it isn't funny. Hopefully it don't taste like it looks. Reminds me of that godawful Monteith's Summer Ale. Beer colour. No head.

Smells very lagery. Standard bitter nose.

Man, it tastes so lagery. Standard and bitter. Chilled and drinkable. Boring and beering. Cheese and whiskers.

Unimpressed.

2.16/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a nice golden straw color with a creamy white head that slowly sank. The smell was mostly skunk with some mild sweetness. The skunkyness wasn't too bad in the flavor but the only other flavor I got was adjunct sweetness. The mouthfeel was somewhat crisp and refreshing although I didn't find the beer to be very drinkable. I really didn't like this beer but after reading the other reveiws I think that maybe it was a bad can of it. The flavor was not very good and it certainly wasn't dry. I couldn't even bring myself to finish the can. I have to say that I was drinking this while eating chinese food that was not good and it may have effected my opinion of the beer as well as it kind of made the whole ordeal unappetizing (sp?). I will give it another try next time I get Japanese.

2.19/5  rDev -25.5%

It's just a standard lager. Not overly refreshing, not overly tasteful. Wouldn't turn my nose to it, but wouldn't look for it.

2.2/5  rDev -25.2%

This brew poured from a can yeilded a small white head offine to medium sized bubbles with little lacing.
It had a transparent light yellow orange body and a typical american beer like aroma with a mild malt and a
mild hoppy smell. Carbonation continuously rose from the bottom of the glass. It had a fizzy taste of hops
and went down firly smoothly, but I could feel the gas building in my stomach after only a few sips. It was
very much like a typical big american brewery beer like bud or miller. Well, I guess we taught the Japs
everything we know!

2.26/5  rDev -23.1%

I keep trying this in the hopes that all the friendly suggestions I got for it weren't wrong. It's not a bad beer but it's really inconsistent and doesn't stand out in any setting I've had. Overly carbonated yellow-golder color with a fluffy white head that faded quickly. Nothing but a bit of grass on the nose, really really slight and almost nonexistent. Mostly you smelled acidic bubbles bursting. OK malting and hops but nothing special and each time I've had it, it has varied quite a bit. A bit thin and the carbonation was too much.

2.34/5  rDev -20.4%

22oz. can poured into a nonic.

(A)- Pours a clear yellow color. Produced a nice fluffy white head. Decent retention and lace.

(S)- Very dry. Mild light malt. Can smell the rice from a mile away.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Dry and mild with subtle sweet rice aspects.

(M)- A crisp carbonation level. Very thin and mild almost to the point of flavorless. Some bitterness does keep it interesting somewhat.

(D)- It fits its style easy enough, but not much really going on with this at all.

2.35/5  rDev -20.1%

This beer pours a pale yellow, with very foamy white head that reduces quickly. A few carbonation bubbles can be seen floating to the top after being poured. The head reduces to a very thin film. Lace is very nice near the top of the glass. Grains are the dominate aroma. The taste is quite bland and finishes weak. This is a light bodied beer and at the price that I payed for it, I will not be drinking it again.

2.35/5  rDev -20.1%

A - straw yellow, little carbonation, head disappears rather quickly, and almost no lacing.

S - very mild smell, slight rice and grain.

T - light, sweet, grain

M - very dry little hop, less than med feel.

D - I tried it and now know I don't like it.

2.38/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Drank straight from can.
Smell of old malt, citrus and grain. The can shape didn't help much on the chug-a-lug factor
A rice beer, eh? Yep, that's the central taste. Light, acidic, some citrus or...lychees?
Hops are not found, body is light and is drinkable.

2.4/5  rDev -18.4%

clear light/pale straw color. think apple juice. firm stable white head. almost no carbonation.

very faint aroma. some slight fruit, im thinking peaches??

rather clean tasting. sort of light vinegary twang (acetic acid?) in the finish. some fruit characteristic again too. not terribly enjoyable.

Sapporo Original Draft Beer from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.