Mac Queen's Nessie - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Mac Queen's NessieMac Queen's Nessie

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Vienna Lager |  5.00% ABV

Note: New recipe from 2008, gravity went down from 16° to 12°, alcohol from 7.3% to 5%

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-03-2002)
3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

Pour: Medium orange in color. Two and a half fingers of fluffy white head with good retention and some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Slightly tart, fruity aroma with a caramel backbone. Slightly bready.

Taste: Rather lackluster. A light malty taste with some hints of tart fruit. Clean finish with just the slightest hint of peaty Scotch. Not much going on.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium with low carbonation (almost too low for the weight). Very clean and smooth, however.

Drinkability: It's OK. I can drink it, but it's not the best in the world. Goes down easily.

Final Notes: This beer is alright. It's not what I want in a Scottish Ale though. It could use twice as much malt as it has in it. Disappointing.

bagpiper2005, Apr 23, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -37.7%

I was hoping for something more like the Samichlaus in this brew. Ended up being a little disappointed. This beer has a nice reddish color and thats about as far as it went for me on the positives of this brew. I really wanted to enjoy this but I found this beer to be on the weak side a bit. I was surprised... The aromas didn't really do too much for me it smelled a little funny not sure how to put it really. The head vanished and it was a little on the flat side. Scottish Ales are usually very good to me but this one just didn't make the cut.

Knapp85, Mar 30, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -30.1%

a: gold color with a bit of a pink tint, uneven head dissipation. A little bit of lacing, though for the most part a very watery look.

s: gotta be honest...smells EXACTLY like my dog's blue buffalo food. Very grainy, thinking a lot of barley (maybe oat?) coming out here.

t: tastes like it smells. I suppose I get a hint of the malt, but not much. It only comes out in the sweetness. for the most part, this is very very very very very grainy. I am having trouble enjoying this, though as it warms, I get a bit more of the malt. Overall, not my thing...and I tend to like red ales. I feel like I've got dog food in my mouth.

m: mouthfeel is tremendous, actually. Hard to classify this with the appalling taste I get, but the feel is good, nice and smooth with a good balance of carbonation. Cool and crisp.

d: I've had a few sips and while it is getting a bit better, my first reaction was that I didn't want to keep trying it. At about $4 a bottle, this isn't what I expected. Only 5% abv so I suppose I didn't expect that boozy quality here, though quite sad that I get no heat and a ton of grains which, honestly, I am not thinking are tasty.

Overall, very disappointed here. I like red ales and this one sounded like it had promise, though compared to some out there, this is bottom tier and a waste of a nice glass bottle. Very sad about this one.

Oh well, always next year.

as an edit to my post...always possible I got a bad batch...though I am not getting much of the malt that other people mentioned (I like to review first, and then compare to what others have said). I am very sad if this is just a bad bottle as I will likely never give it another go...again, sounded like it'd be a great one to go for, though this is just not me and I just cannot appreciate this if I have what is indeed a good batch.

Preismj, Mar 11, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -0.3%

Picked this up at Ammersino Feine Getränke in Vienna, Austria. Clear yellow-amber pour with one finger head and decent lacing. The nose is earthy and grassy at first, but becomes sweet and fruity with hints of caramel and a touch of whiskey. Lots of toasted malt and caramel in the taste along with some nuttiness, grass, vanilla, and a touch of oak. Nice dry but slightly syrupy mouthfeel. Kept waiting to taste some whiskey, but sadly it never appeared. And since the label says it's known as the "Whiskey among the beers", I think it's a pretty epic failure. It's not a bad beer, but definitely doesn't deliver what it promised.

beerdrifter, Jan 03, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +30.1%

Single Nessie purchased around $4. I was excited to see this as Samichlaus is one of my favorite beers. Nessie did not dissappoint me.

Pours a very thin white head with a smell of scotch ale, malts and some residual malt sugars. Taste of scotch ale, remarkably well done and smooth. There is a taint of light cherry in the distance with oak. Consistency also very similar to Samichlaus without the 14% alc. Just enough scotch flavor to call it a scotch ale, remarkably smooth and enjoyable. I would love to be able to get these in 4 packs however I never see them.

alpinebryant, Dec 08, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +14.9%

I found this single 330mL bottle in a dusty box at Hoosick Beverage in Troy NY. The sticker said $3.49 but it rang up as $2.99. No date but it looks damn old, so I guess we'll see how it goes. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

A hard pour into the center of the glass gives 1/2" of eggshell foam from this fairly flat brew. The brew itself is clear and copper colored. Nose is a fairly sweet smell of cherry cough syrup, earthy, and a little alcohol zing. Mouthfeel is moderately thick, not with malt but with sweetness. The rest of the smell is spot on too... some dark cherry, earthiness (wood?), and a little spicy alcohol.

BeerNinja007, Sep 21, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

So this Austrian takes off his Tyrolean cap, dons a kilt, and goes into a bar...or something like that. Brewed by the folks that bring us Samiclaus using imported Scottish whisky malz, hops, and hop extract. Note there's no whisky or old whisky barrels involved here. Just a redirection of malt from the distiller to the brewer. This ain't one of those "extreme" beers.

Pours an "old gold"en yellow with no real head retention to speak of. Aroma dominated by toffee, with just a hint of smoke, at least by Bamberg standards. This is still a nice clean lager beer, might have been able to get close to this just with Munich malt. Otherwise the hops (& extract) are there in a subdued supporting role.

Nice medium body which goes down easily. This could be a nivce session beer, but have some friends to talk with, since this beer just doesn't have enough going on to keep your attention for all that long, but it would be nice in a supporting role where you do notice the flavor as you take a swig while your friend has the floor.

MillRat, Jul 29, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +0.3%

11,2 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher snifter. 5.0% ABV, no date.

A - Completely clear, Nessie is well carbonated with a thin ring of off-white foam that doesn't last long at all. Sexy golden light amber color.

S - Sweet toasted caramel malts tip the balance of this beer to a near dopplebock-like malt presence. No hops come through nor does whiskey. A clean and crisp aroma dominated by malts with a subtle yeast touch that's very German smelling.

T - The aroma thins out in the flavor to a less than interesting level. A subtle caramel sweetness and a micro hint of white grape is all I get from this. No hops, no whiskey. Not to say it's bad, the lack of anything substantial is more of a let down.

M - Thin-bodied and light, Nessie still remains crisp and smooth like the nose suggests but becomes a rather unimpressive beverage with mild sweetness.

D - Nothing about Nessie is off-putting but nothing is interesting either. The lack of flavors and the smooth texture make it easily drinkable for a session beer but don't expect anything beyond that.

BeerFMAndy, Jul 12, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

Review from notes on 1/30/10.

This beer, as far as I'm concerned, is simply boring. There's nothing going on here, just a standard whatever beer. Supposedly a red ale, this poured a pale golden yellow with no head. Not much in the aroma but some cereal grains, biscuit, and hint of booze. Although an ok flavor, it doesn't have anything going for it. No caramel, not much fruits except a bit of pears. Altogether very disappointing.

DmanGTR, Jun 09, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Nessie pours a nice amber color with a white head that falls to a cap after a few minutes, some lacing.

The smell is malty with some sweetness, some caramel, and a bit of peat.

The taste is also nice and malty with that sweetness and bit of breadiness.

Mouthfeel is lighter-bodied. A bit of a lingering finish.

Drinkability is good here. A nice beer for someone who tends toward the malty side. Give it a try.

slyke, Jun 08, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Light copper with a thin white head that fades quickly, becoming patchy. Not much lacing.
Smell is slightly malty with a little bit of euro yeast aroma. Faint notes of brown sugar, and some hints of smoked meat.
Taste is spicey malts, with some subdued hops following. More, very subtle hint of smoked meat, as well as some equally (if not more so) subtle brown sugar. Tad bit of peatiness. Finish is fairly watery and lackluster, with just a touch of malts and hops.
Mouthfeel is crisp and dry to the finish. High level of carbonation. Light body.
Good drinkability. A bit disappointed with this one, but overall it's not a bad beer and it's pretty easy to drink.

Parrotbeak, Jun 06, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +31.6%

A - Copper body with nearly no carbonation rising. The head is just less than an inch tall and pure white. Good looker.

S - Sweet malty with toffee accents and a mild presence of alcohol.

T - Bready, nutty and sweet with an interesting roasted toffee ending and a slightly burnt finished.

M - The feel is a bit coarse in the middle but I believe that assists a bit in bringing out some of the unique flavors.

~ This is certainly something I'd have again. I wish I had a full 4 or six pack rather than just the one bottle I picked up at Dan's Liquor in Plover. This is a beer you want to get your lips on but It may be difficult as they are hard to spot.

cdkrenz, May 17, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

It's not really red, but it is a golden color with a slight hint of red. Which is nice enough with what they were going for as it is the color of many a nice whisky. The head is really pretty, tight and fluffy with some heavy lacing. I'm catching a lot of nice floral clean german malt character from the aroma, along with a good bit of honey and a tiny bit of paint thinner alcohol. The smoke is very subdued here but it's nice none the less. All in all the aroma reminds me of a nice enough Maibock, which may or may not have been what they were going for here. The smokiness shows up a lot more in the flavor of this beer and clashes a bit with the herbal bitterness on the sides of the tongue, which is very different from the malty sweetness that dominates the flavor of the beer. Seeing as how this is retired the bottle is at the very least a year old, if memory serves me correctly that sweetness was better balanced with smokiness in it's younger age. There are some chocolate and earthy tones that peek their head out of the water every so often when drinking this as well. The palate seems sharp on the sides of the tongue while almost rich and almost syrupy on the top, not in the way many Barley Wines or Imperial Stouts can get syrupy, but more like in a cheap imitation maple syrup kind of way. This thing is likely not nearly in it's prime but I sort of like where it's going. I might have to pick up a few more bottles just to see what the future has in store for them.

BieresDesMoines, May 12, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -9.4%

Moderate pils malt aroma with none of the promised whisky notes.

Golden colour, clear, small, creamy white head.

I'm dumbfounded. For a beer that is allegedly brewed with whisky malt I don't get any whisky character. I get more pils malt flavour, a hint of spiciness and nothing else.

Medium-low body with moderate carbonation.

An easy to drink beer but mostly because it doesn't taste of much. A big disappointment that doesn't live up to its claims.

dgilks, May 09, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a slightly hazy, copper color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of yeast, pale malt, and grain. Barely fits the definition of a Scottish Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of yeast, pale malt, slight sweet malt, grain, hint of pale hop, and some sulfur. Overall, a very weak bodied Scottish with an odd flavor profile.

Tone, Apr 27, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks DmanGTR!

A: Light to medium brown, off white head, that dissipates quickly. Got some floaties in the bottom

S: Sweet, with malt and caramel. Burnt sugar scents, as well as a very sharp sweetness I can't put my finger on. Possibly a little bit of oak in there.

T: Big Caramel flavor, though smooth and not over powering.. Progresses into a residual sweetness... Nice, but not very complex.. Slight whiskey flavor.

M: Medium body, good carbonation. And CREAMY smooth.

D: I'd do it again. A very good beer overall. The taste is a good change, and the mouthfeel is great!

Beejay, Mar 23, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured a very bright copper color with almost no head.
Thin white ring clings to the glass tenativly.
Aroma is very fruity and nicely english. No smoke or what i would percieve to be anything whisky-like yet if i were to put this beer in another category it would fit quite well, say an ESB for instance.
Flavor is also very ESB like, nice caramel malt flavor and dry mineral finish with english hop flavor. This beer seems to me to be mis-categorized. i think it is an excellent ESB but a very poor scottish ale. To dry and mineraly and the finish isn't sweet enough. And the label says it is a whiskey malt beer i would expect peat smoked barley not maris otter. Word for the wise this isn;t a smoked scotch ale more of a fuller's ESB.

RenoZymurgist, Mar 07, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Poured from the bottle into a clear pint glass. The bottle had no indications of a freshness date on the labels. This brew poured with a clear honey colored body, topped by a one finger eggshell white head. Head retention was decent and it left some spotty lacing down the inside of my glass.

S - Light sweet malt smell. Not a lot of complexity in the nose.

T & M - I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer with the label proudly proclaiming it to be a "Whisky malt red beer". I think I expected it to be a more flavorful brew. What I did get was a beer with a light malt body, accentuated by a touch of buttery diacetyl. Virtually no hop presence. I'll give it this though, it does finish crisp and clean.

D - As far as the brew goes, it is highly sessionable. Light and easy to drink, it would go down well on a Summer day. As far as it following other similarly styled brews like Old Chub, it falls short in terms of taste. And costwise...this ain't no $4 beer.

If nothing else, it was worth a try.

drizzam, Feb 19, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours amber with a dismal head.
Smells like Heineken - loads of grassy Euro hops. Too grassy, almost skunky. No smoke whatsoever, although there is a woody note, almost peaty.
Same story with the taste, this could pass as a grassy, pale lager. The only interesting point is that same faint woody hint.
Very watery, too much carbonation.

CrazyDavros, Feb 03, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- The thin wispy swirl of head sits on top of a crystal clear apricot body and a gentle carbonation.
S- The soft caramel hint is pretty clean with a popcorn note that grows as the beer warms.
T- The rich sweet caramel flavor has a dry toasted malt note to and a soft plastic and spice hint in the finish.
M- The medium mouthfeel has no alcohol heat and is a bit flat in the finish.
D- This beer is smooth and sweet with a nice caramel note and a hint of plastic is a bit off. The caramel notes taste of a long wort boil which has some nice qualiteis but not much depth.

rhoadsrage, Dec 07, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours a very lightly burnished gold colour with large, fizzy white head that fizzles out quickly, leaving nothing behind. A huge amount of carbonation, very strong in the beer. Lacing is non-existent. Meh - was supposed to be red, isn't really. Looks very fizzy and watery.

Nose is fairly sweet with not much to it at all. Bit of a corn smell with some soft drink sugar - bit of treacle adds a touch of richness. It is very sweet, but smells so in an artificial way. Corn syrup and brown sugar, really. Not much else, pretty dull.

Tastes very watered-down. Has a sweet and light malty character with slight nuttiness, like marzipan almost, and a fair soda-jet-carbonated flavour. A hint of cola and maybe a bit of ginger, all very subdued. Basically tastes very watery and weak, almost like I'm sucking the flavours out of a moist flannel. The flavours are there but dulled and distant. Very sweet for the most part, and very simple. The label promised me a smoke aftertaste but it's not there, if anything it's a light vinegar flavour. Hugely disappointed with this, they certainly made it seem enticing, but it's a very plain drop.

Mouthfeel is thin, with a bit of tingle from the carbs - not too much though. IT's quite smooth, but for 7.3% it's very thin.

Drinkability is average. I just wanted a huge amount more from this. It's so plain, but drinkable enough.

laituegonflable, Dec 01, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

This beer is neither a Scotch Ale nor 7.3% ABV. This is an amber lager that's 5%. Pours clear light amber color, small white head and no lacing. Smells lightly malty and sweet with light flavors of caramel and noble hops. The taste on this is basically Heineken with a very light addition of caramel malts. Pretty standard, straightforward stuff. Nothing good, nothing really offensive.

KeefD, Nov 23, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Consumed 8/18/2009- from notes.

Brown bottle poured into a shaker glass.

A- Clear deep copper color, tiny white head that disappeared pretty quick. Not much in the way of lacing or carbination.

S- Fairly muted caramel/molassas.

T- Sweet malts, some dark fruit hints and some oak like wood notes here and there. Almost too sweet at the finish.

M- Pretty smooth, medium bodied.

D- The sweetness made it a sipper for me, not sorry I tried it but probably wont pick it up again.

tatoodkelt, Aug 19, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a dark clear amber with white head that doesnt fizz away.

Smells of whiskey (for real), some bitter hops, grassy and caramel sweet

Taste is of the above but a bit thin and I dont know how to describe it maybe it s more the mouthfeel

Mouthfeel is low carbonation, some smoothness but thin (but not crisp type thin)

Drinkability is OK but not great (try Urbock 23 or Samichlaus instead)

DerBayer, Aug 16, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -24%

I poured this one from an 11.2oz brown bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A= This ale poured a super clear and bright gold color with a slight orange tint to it. The white head rose 1/2" and then settled straightaway to a thin cap. Minor lacing. Absolultely in no way appears to be a wee heavy as this page indicates nor does it appear to be a red ale as the bottle indicates.

S= Smelled grainy, sweet, and full of adjuncts. Slight grassy hop notes. Not good.

T= As in the smell, flavor was less than stellar. Sweet grainy malts followed by grassy hops and a terrible corn adjunct note.

MF= Medium bodied with a fairly crisp carbonation.

D= Really not at all what is advertised and not a redeeming beer in any category. I won't have this ever again.

spointon, Aug 04, 2009