2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Urbock 23° - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Urbock 23°Urbock 23°

good

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-05-2001)
View: Beers (18) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 366 | Reviews: 285 | Show All Ratings:
FLima

Brazil

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Light copper color with a practically no head.
Nice malty aroma with notes of dark fruits, caramels and a bit of wood.
Sweet slightly toasted malt flavor with notes of caramel, nuts, a bit of cognac, apple puree, light herbal, red wine, chocolate and plums. Mildly dry aftertaste.
Light closer to medium body with low carbonation. Alcohol of 9.6% abv is superbly well hidden, impressive.
I usually don’t like very sweet malty beers, but this is actually a pleasant sipper. Last time I had it was almost 2 years ago, this was felt much better, and probably was not the beer that changed...

03-30-2014 02:34:56 | More by FLima
Hoppsbabo

United Kingdom (England)

4.21/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: A clear pale copper with a small head.

S: Metallic. Can't smell much else but I am outdoors.

T: Syrup and rumness. It's sweet and tastes much like an English barley wine with a slightly lagery grain flavour. It's nice and sticky. The sweetness is perfect. Lots of that alcoholic lacquer flavour. Almost no fruit character.

O: Not overly complex but still delicious and I can't believe all the low ratings.

01-22-2014 08:19:18 | More by Hoppsbabo
utopiajane

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep golden color with good clarity and fat creamy off white head that stays and stays. Nose is strong with malt richness and depth. Like ribbons of scent from malt but nothing burnt or roasted. Just sweet. No hops on the nose but a nice light fruitiness. Sheeting lace that slides back into the ring and alcohol legs. Some grape like sweetness. A bit of sweet chocolate comes forward shyly as it warms. The fruit on the nose is a mere grapey sweetness. Light and bright. Taste is heavenly delight. Rich sweet malt unfolds on the palate. Light chocolate, clean tastes and a grape like sweetness that includes a bit of sweet raisin type depth. Toasty but nothing burnt. No hop flavor until the very end where it finishes with a timid bitter and a little more of that chocolate to linger in the aftertaste. Medium full body, smooth and wonderful.

01-16-2014 14:54:03 | More by utopiajane
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

330ml Bottle: BBD 05/2014. Poured into a Westmalle chalice at home on 14th Jan 2014.

Looks a typical lager/pilsner with a deep orange hue to it's golden body, the wispy white head departed before it arrived, which always annoys me greatly: so not a good start. I don't think I've ever had a light coloured Doppelbock before so I can't really compare it to anything else.

Struggled at first to find any aromas: semi-sweet arrived though with honey hints to the fore as well a candy floss.

The taste was also sweet and again candy floss and honey came to mind. It was difficult to really like to be honest: too strong in alcohol for it's own good and it doesn't try to hide it very well.

A strange one to call: nothing bad at all, but I'll never have another one.

01-14-2014 19:30:43 | More by BlackHaddock
tmzl

Slovenia

3.46/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Pours with average fizzy foam, fast retention, tiny bubbles. Clear, golden with a bit of amber hue. Fair amount of lacing and light carbonation. Good looking lager.

Smell: Honey, propolis, sugar cane, burned sugar. Some spice and wood. Very light fruity aroma for yeast. Alcohol well hidden. Smells like a huge sugar bomb.

Taste: And it is. Honey, medium/heavy sugar cane, burned sugar middle. The taste is all malt. Small spike of bitter and alcohol towards the end. Light bitterness stays with you for a while. Bitterness is mostly from sugar, wood, like chestnut honey enhanced with alcohol. Also slightly metallic on some sips.

Mouthfeel: Fat medium, smooth. Low carbonation and some alcohol warming. Not an easy drink, would be hard to drink more than one.

Overall: Solid sugar bomb, but not my cup of tea. I didn't find this type of sugar particularly tasteful. But definitely worth a try.

01-09-2014 21:04:25 | More by tmzl
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A "pale doppelbock" described as the cognac of the beer world on the label. It is indeed pale, a bright sparkly lemon drop yellow with around three inches of white foam. Aroma is intensely sweet and bready, with ample lager yeast character and green grape must. Palate does indeed evoke cognac a little but is of course much sweeter. Tastes of golden cake with icing, apples, a poppy seed nuttiness, and dried plums, esters and phenols abound with a pervasive mustiness that recalls white wine. Hops provide some additional fruit notes like gooseberry and some bitterness to the finish, which is more crisp, dry, and spicy than the initial sweetness would suggest. Boozy like many Belgian tripels and some of the other flavors go down this path as well, although this lager beer is much sweeter than the more attenuated Belgian ale. I like darker flavors in this style but this is worth sampling.

12-21-2013 20:40:08 | More by CalgaryFMC
OtherShoe2

3.96/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours light amber with a skim head that surprisingly stays in some form.

Aromas of sweet malt, vanilla, wood, sugared cherry, honey.

Rich malt and vanilla wood. Fruit, booze, which dissipates to mild bitterness intermingled with the sweetness of the malt. Some honey at the back end, with a little alcohol burn.

A little lighter in body than expected. Medium to medium full.

Very good. Drinkable, not a kick in the teeth in any area. I like the balance in this one.

12-14-2013 19:35:06 | More by OtherShoe2
deg

New Hampshire

A nice gold color. Not much head, but there was some active carbonation. A nice fruit like smell, citrus fruit with a hint of sweetness. I can't really describe the taste other than I liked it. The beer had a thick texture like cream. I felt a little alcohol warmth.

11-06-2013 02:38:59 | More by deg
safaricook

Netherlands

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From notes, had this at the brewery tour out of their long stemmed snifter

L golden red, no foam

A banana, alcohol, honey, fruity

T sweet, some bitterness, alcoholic

F fine carbonation, medium heavy body, oily

O nice beer for food pairing, definitely a slow sipper

09-04-2013 19:32:24 | More by safaricook
buschbeer

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

11,2 Fl. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It pours a clear golden color with three fingers of off-white head.

S - It smells like a malt bomb. I get some huge malty sweetness.

T - It is not the sweet mess that I expected. Don't get me wrong, this is all malt, but it is not super sweet as the smell indicates.

M - Medium and smooth.

O - If you do not like hops, you will probably like this beer. Hell, it's almost like an English barleywine.

09-01-2013 20:24:43 | More by buschbeer
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is our last beer from the Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg. Or Castle Brewing Eggenberg. Either way, this is our last beer from them. I was looking at pictures from the brewery, and this place looks awesome. I have never been to Austria. Guess I need to plan a trip!

I like reading words like, "syrupy" and, "sweet". I also like where the number 23 comes from. The more sugar the better. I am curious if the ABV is hidden. Never had this; stoked. Cheers!

In the Glass: This isn't as dark as I expected it to be. I assume most doppelbocks to be dark. The most recent doppelbock I tried was from Alaskan Brewing Company. That was a sweet malt bomb that I tried both on tap and in the bottle. Actually shared two pints of it with Chuck Noll at Whole Foods here in Scottsdale. Anyway, this is not as dark as I wanted it to be. Not much head, but what head is there is white. No lace, either. I hope this smells awesome.

Nose: Not much aroma here… but what I am smelling is sweet. Basically sugar water. I will say I just drank a double IPA from Captain Lawrence Brewing Company, so my palate is a bit off right now. But the hops were subtle and somewhat fruity. I smelled again, and just getting a boatload of sweet sugary goodness. I hope this tastes as good as it smells. Well… better.

Flavor: Oh. My. God. That is AMAZING!!! The mouthfeel is amazing, but we will get to that. The flavor is incredible, complex, and well… sweet. The finish sucks, but the there is a lot of sugary sweetness on the palate. My entire palate is just covered in sweetness. The burp is even sweet. (Does it gross you out when I talk about my burps?)

On my second sip, I swished it around in my mouth a little. There isn't a ton of carbonation at first, but when you move it around, the bubbles explode across your tongue. Doing that, however, it really opens up and almost has a brown sugar flavor to it. I bet this will heat up nice.

Mouthfeel: It starts out thin, but then, as it gets to the back of my palate and the sugary sweetness begins to open up, the beer starts to carbonate as you swallow. The finish, like I said, sucks… but the sweetness overrides that. It has a weird metallic finish that lingers as I swallow.

Aftertaste: I guess the lingering finish is more a part of the aftertaste than the mouthfeel. After a few sips, the metallic flavor goes away, but it still has a weird flavor when I swallow. I guess that's OK until my last drink. I will just keep chugging this until it's gone.

I REALLY like Samichlaus, their Christmas beer. Of course, it is always available at our local Total Wine & More. I'm sad this brewery is done. I bet they make a few more huh ABV beers that are just loaded with sweetness. This bottle is well done. If you like beer that are sweet and hide the booze, grab a bottle. Not sure it's worth $5.99… but man, this is tasty. Cheers!

07-10-2013 05:14:35 | More by rickyleepotts
TwelveOunces

Kentucky

3.81/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A- Pours a very light golden straw color. Very clear surprisingly. A half finger of a white head with little retention.

S- Wheat, dark fruit. A bit of hay and onion. And a clean, sweet maltiness.

T- A slight dark fruit at first. There is a bit of plum and fig to be had. An oily hop presence, a greasy feel and an oniony, herbal flavor. A touch of wheat in this beer and a hint of lemongrass as well. A sweeter beer and the sugary malt extenuates the overly ripened dark fruit and oily hop.

M- A ton of feel to this beer and a smooth experience. Low carbonation in this beer. An oily hop aftertaste and feel. A sweet beer and may be cloying to some.

O- Pretty good stuff, an interesting take on Doppelbocks.

07-04-2013 23:08:49 | More by TwelveOunces
pkalix

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

pale for sure!!!! poured a . . . . just PALE color . . . . . no topping.
sweet, toasty, malt-y and yummy smell. can this be the same company who does SAMICHLAUS??? I love double bocks...
okay, TOO sweet. kind of nasty. wait. let my taste buds adjust after that triple/IPA 12% I just had. still smells yummy. but the taste is . . . . getting better... I can do this; it's just a shifting of gears from what I just finished. 9.6%, okay . . . . I do love the dopplebocks; they are my favorite. but then hefe used to be my favorite and now i'm just plain tired of the richness. but then (again) I used to like Asian chicks tooo . . . . and . . . . oh well.
okay! palate cleansed with the double bock. still a great smell similar to the other dopples I love, but still a funky, sweet taste that is a little over-powering...
so, in summary, bland, regular appearance. AWESOME smell. AWESOME smell. (again). taste is just... meh.... I can tolerate it for a one time thing-y, ya know. but kind of sweet.
overall, eh... nice abv. i'm buzzed after this and the 12% bomber.... taste is just okay; overall is just okay. note (again) the high marks for SMELL . . . . but this is not what I consider in the same class as a spaten optimator or celebrator or most of the other doppels...

07-04-2013 01:45:39 | More by pkalix
IchLiebeBier

3.25/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Golden; effervescent; small head

Aroma: Malty; syrupy; touch of citrus

Taste: Malty; sweet; syrupy; almost chewy; not complex, just thick and strong; ok, but not that impressive

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 23:09:17 | More by IchLiebeBier
ckollias

Maryland

4.24/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Beligan Tulip glass.

A: Pours a golden hue with a thin white head that slowly dissipates leaving a partial trail down the side of the glass and a wispy lace.

S: Sweet and slightly fruity aroma with a caramel background. Interesting complex aroma.

T: Smooth orange and fruity flavor with a caramel background. Finishes smooth and slightly dry.

M: Thick body and medium carbonation.

O: This beer has a ton of complex flavor and aroma and enough alcohol to make it interesting.

05-29-2013 02:23:28 | More by ckollias
SLeffler27

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Fills an antique pilsner glass clear burnished gold with red highlights and a slight, rocky white head. Lots of carbonation cling to the glass while some rises from within.

The aroma is reminiscent of Riesling White Wine, while plums are accompanied with slight honey and lavender notes.

The flavor is mildly acidic, but sweet on entry right through a lingering, dry finish. There is a slight bitterness and an odd, fruity flavor as well.

The alcohol is warming in this full bodied beer with soft, prickly carbonation. It is ultimately very dry with a soft, smooth texture.

Easy drinking as an aperitif after four years in the cellar. While not quite to style, this one is very enjoyable and more similar to a tripple.

12-28-2012 12:08:01 | More by SLeffler27
Docrock

3.48/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - light copper color, almost no head whatsoever.

S - malt aroma almost overpowering, caramel, and just a hint of yeast. The alcohol is clearly evident.

T - doesnt taste like most Doppels I've had. lots of maltiness, maybe a touch of rum like flavor, but it doesnt taste balanced to me. it is sweet with minimal hop character.

M - it is smooth and mouth warming, but with no carbonation to speak of.

O - picked this up since I am a big Samichlaus fan, but this one left me wanting. a unique beer, but not sure if it fits the style so rated a bit lower due to that.

12-23-2012 16:44:00 | More by Docrock
Offa

4.45/5  rDev +24.6%

This is an excellent, well-rounded, characterful doppelbock.

Deep gold, it has a medium off-white head slowly shrinking to foamy ring and some nice lace.

Aroma is strong, syrupy raisin, toasty bread, hints of meat and herb.

Taste is lots of fruit, raisiny bread crust, lemony herbal bitterness, hints of spice. It's creamy but lively, not too oily or thick. It is sweet but not too sweet with nice, engaging zesty bitternes to round it out.

11-10-2012 20:48:08 | More by Offa
UCLABrewN84

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Bottle pour for the 4th Annual LA Beer Week Beer Festival at Union Station in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a clear orange with a foamy khaki bone colored that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and some fruity aromas. Taste is much the same with an alcohol kick on the finish. There is a mild spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is drinkable but fairly strong.

10-03-2012 04:22:13 | More by UCLABrewN84
danfue

Germany

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

My first review round here.
I'm just having this one in a wide and bulky wine glass.
The bottle is beautiful, with the label on the neck actually above the cap. So you can either just destroy the label with the opener or cut it off as you would do with a bottle of wine or liquor.

Urbock 23° has a nice color, deeply golden, almost orange, reminds me of a rosé-wine. The smell is intense and brings plums and fermented fruits to mind. Sticking the nose into the glass also brings about a first impression of the ABV. There's almost no foam, the one that developed after pouring was gone within seconds.

Its taste again resembles fruits, especially plums. There's a strong sweetish, alcoholic aspect and a roasted taste. The taste lasts for long after on tongue and palate.

Overall, not a classic Doppelbock of German/Austrian descent. Having a look at the website, especially the strong beer variants, including this one, seem to be designed for exporting. It's a beer for a cold evening, to be savored in small sips.

09-17-2012 20:24:25 | More by danfue
superspak

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

11.2 ounce bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating. Pours lightly cloudy golden amber color with a good 1-2 finger fairly dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Some small bits of spotty lacing cling to the glass. Aromas of caramel, biscuit, apple, raisin, grape, nuttiness, honey, toffee, herbal, and earth. Pleasant and well balanced aromas with good strength and complexity. Taste of caramel, toast, biscuit, raisin, apple, honey, bready grain, nuttiness, herbal spiciness, earth, and light phenolic flavors. Lingering notes of light fruits, toast, biscuit, caramel, toffee, nuttiness, earth, herbal, and phenolic fruitiness. Some good balance of flavors but the phenolic character throws it off a bit; definitely smoother tasting with tiny sips. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a lightly creamy and slightly slick mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with only a warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a good pale doppelbock. It has good complexity and flavor balance, despite the estery qualities that were present. An enjoyable sipper.

08-10-2012 03:54:20 | More by superspak
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer would be better classified as an old ale, barleywine, or possibly some kind of strong ale category, it really doesn't remind me of the dark bread deep flavors of a doppelbock and instead is kind of sweet and Caramelly with some dried fruit.

The beer is strangely a blond color as opposed to the normal dark robust color of doppelbocks. No head, very little lacing, looks like a spirit in someways as the label suggests.

The smell is sweet, touched with some booze (not hot though), cellar must, Tons of caramel, and some dried fruits, it's very nice.. The taste is the same stuff but with some added yeast and barley malt into it too, very tasty and reminds me of some English barley wines and English old ales, like Fullers. Pretty sweet though and a little boozy which is distracting.

The feel is smooth without a ton of carbonation, not hot. Medium body.

Overall, again, the beer is not a doppelbock to me. If it were in a different category, it would be so much better rated on this site.

07-05-2012 23:57:48 | More by Dreadnaught33
falloutsnow

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Hy-vee in West Omaha, NE
No bottled on date
Poured into an Ayinger willi glass

Eggenberg's Urbock 23 is, true to name, a doppelbock that avoids most of the heavy, densely bread-meets-thick-caramel flavors traditional doppelbocks may employ and instead focuses on rich, but light-tasting sweetness akin to dried light fruits and butterscotch. While not super complex, and the ethanol content is a bit of a deterrent, I generally enjoyed this beer. If I had someone to split a bottle of this with in the winter months of each year, having one of these a month might be an enjoyable tradition to uphold.

Pours a 1cm, off-white head that collapses, quickly, to a thin ring around the sides of the glass. Body is a dark golden-orange color away from light, pale orange when held to my lamp. Some sluggish carbonation is visible in the transparent body.

Aroma is of malt sweetness, a bit of butterscotch, honey, and modest ethanol.

Taste opens with strong, rich, sweet caramel malt flavor. Continued caramel flavor into the mid-palate, with butterscotch arriving, as do dried fruit esters, perhaps dried and sweetened guava and papaya. Closes out with a flash of ethanol, which gradually lessens to a strong presence. This lingers to the finish, where it is joined by some subtle sweetness and dried fruit esters.

Body is medium-heavy to heavy with a modest carbonation that makes sipping this big beer appropriate and easy to do - there's no rush to gulp. The dry finish furthers this, each sip proves satisfying and cleanly dry on the palate.

04-17-2012 05:41:28 | More by falloutsnow
LiquidAmber

Washington

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a clear, light to medium orange amber. Slight head and no lacing. Sweet malt and fruit aroma. Honey sweetness, malt and light hops. Sweet malt and light floral and light hop finish. A bit too sweet and not all that well integrated, but still a pleasant bock.

04-03-2012 03:17:11 | More by LiquidAmber
ToadManA1A37651

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

enjoying this in a san miguel snifter with etching on bottom. leaving nice popping alcoholy feeling in the back of my throat makes the fine golden nectar go down easy. no bitterness, but malty goodness. there is no fruit that i can detect maybe a prune or two, but barely.

03-11-2012 02:08:35 | More by ToadManA1A37651