Urbock 23° - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Doppelbock |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-05-2001

Ratings: 412 | Reviews: 294
4.19/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Brilliant gold with a thin white film for a head.
S: Wine and bread aromas
T: Big malt and alcohol flavors, light brown sugar, light caramel, a light hop accent on the finish.
F: Creamy, full bodied, medium carbonation, very warming.
O: An iconic big light colored beer. A touch hot but still very nice.

Clear orange, no head. Apricot liqueur, honey, caramel. Sweetness balanced with alcohol. No bitterness. Boozy, not my kind of beer, but original.

3.51/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Copper-old gold. Clean, with a bit of foam.
Malty smell, alcoholic notes, fruit in acohol. Maybe some hazelnut.
Again boozy in the mouth, along with light notes of almond and walnut.
Full bodied and important beer.
Again walnut and almod in the aftertaste, with warming alcohol.
Beer to sip.

3.56/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak snifter

A: Dirty blonde hay/straw color, with no lacing or collar, but a tiny bit of head on the pour.
S: Deliciously fruity esters with a tinge of alcohol in there. Seems a bit Belgian in its smell.
T: Definitely a pale doppelbock. Alcohol is definitely utilized as a flavor here. Pretty straight forward in the bock section though.
M: Nice bit of carbonation to it, but a bit slick overall like a spirit.
O: I haven't had Samichlaus from them, but this is a decent start, which it probably was from them.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

Like the Sammichlaus Classic, too sweet. Purchased in Villach at a Eurospar.

4.1/5  rDev +14.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. The label lists the abv at 9.6%.

Appearance: It has a deep amber color with a slight haze and some big bits of sediment floating around inside. From the pour I got very thin and very quick fading head. This leaves the beer completely uncovered and there is absolutely no lacing.

Smell: The aroma is big, full and sweet. There are loads of sweet candy like notes of apples, pears, figs and plums inside of a fruitcake like maltiness.

Taste / Palate: All the sweet notes from the aroma come though in the flavor plus a note of cherry almond ring coffee cake and the mellow glow of a warming 9.6% abv. The feel is slick and smooth as there is very little carbonation. It’s like drinking liquid candy.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

This Austrian Doppelbock pours a clear, antique, gold with a tall white head that quickly vanishes leaving some moderate lacing on the glass. The smell is vaguely sherry like with little in the way of complexity. The same goes for the flavor, which, while pleasant enough, has no character from either the hops or malt. It's a sweet, very strong beer, no more or less. Medium body, sticky.

3.78/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 330mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium golden hue with no haze and a strong effervescence. Head poured a finger of frothy white foam but didn't stick around particularly long.

Smell: rich malt with rather a bit of sweetness and a little bit of fruity, boozy character. I like it.

Taste: rich malt with plenty of sweetness, although it's not cloyingly sweet which can happen. There's a hint of dankness and a little bitterness toward the end. Not a bad doppelbock.

Mouthfeel: rich body with a good enough carbonation to yield a satisfying mouthfeel. I like it quite a bit.

Overall: tasty, and drinkable enough for its strength. It doesn't have enough interesting character to be truly outstanding, but it's a well-enough wrought beer.

3.29/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

RB

Buckeyeboy brought this back from Austria... I am sure I have had it before, but am surprised to see no rating.... soooo, here it is.

Pours a clear orange... no real lacing... nose is fruity malt extract, not nearly as clean as most doppelbocks.. sweet and very boozy.

Flavor mirrors the aroma... sweet with something that reminds me of apricot.. cloying malt with no balance at all... one dimensional and not even remotely to my doppelbock liking anymore.

Body is surprisingly not that thick, but the carbonation is lighter than it should be leading to a sorta clinging mouthfeel.

Thanks Jeremy, but I remember this one being better.

3.5/3.25/3.25/3.5/3.25

3.69/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Light copper color with a practically no head.
Nice malty aroma with notes of dark fruits, caramels and a bit of wood.
Sweet slightly toasted malt flavor with notes of caramel, nuts, a bit of cognac, apple puree, light herbal, red wine, chocolate and plums. Mildly dry aftertaste.
Light closer to medium body with low carbonation. Alcohol of 9.6% abv is superbly well hidden, impressive.
I usually don’t like very sweet malty beers, but this is actually a pleasant sipper. Last time I had it was almost 2 years ago, this was felt much better, and probably was not the beer that changed...

4.17/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: A clear pale copper with a small head.

S: Metallic. Can't smell much else but I am outdoors.

T: Syrup and rumness. It's sweet and tastes much like an English barley wine with a slightly lagery grain flavour. It's nice and sticky. The sweetness is perfect. Lots of that alcoholic lacquer flavour. Almost no fruit character.

O: Not overly complex but still delicious and I can't believe all the low ratings.

3.79/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep golden color with good clarity and fat creamy off white head that stays and stays. Nose is strong with malt richness and depth. Like ribbons of scent from malt but nothing burnt or roasted. Just sweet. No hops on the nose but a nice light fruitiness. Sheeting lace that slides back into the ring and alcohol legs. Some grape like sweetness. A bit of sweet chocolate comes forward shyly as it warms. The fruit on the nose is a mere grapey sweetness. Light and bright. Taste is heavenly delight. Rich sweet malt unfolds on the palate. Light chocolate, clean tastes and a grape like sweetness that includes a bit of sweet raisin type depth. Toasty but nothing burnt. No hop flavor until the very end where it finishes with a timid bitter and a little more of that chocolate to linger in the aftertaste. Medium full body, smooth and wonderful.

2.78/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

330ml Bottle: BBD 05/2014. Poured into a Westmalle chalice at home on 14th Jan 2014.

Looks a typical lager/pilsner with a deep orange hue to it's golden body, the wispy white head departed before it arrived, which always annoys me greatly: so not a good start. I don't think I've ever had a light coloured Doppelbock before so I can't really compare it to anything else.

Struggled at first to find any aromas: semi-sweet arrived though with honey hints to the fore as well a candy floss.

The taste was also sweet and again candy floss and honey came to mind. It was difficult to really like to be honest: too strong in alcohol for it's own good and it doesn't try to hide it very well.

A strange one to call: nothing bad at all, but I'll never have another one.

3.49/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Pours with average fizzy foam, fast retention, tiny bubbles. Clear, golden with a bit of amber hue. Fair amount of lacing and light carbonation. Good looking lager.

Smell: Honey, propolis, sugar cane, burned sugar. Some spice and wood. Very light fruity aroma for yeast. Alcohol well hidden. Smells like a huge sugar bomb.

Taste: And it is. Honey, medium/heavy sugar cane, burned sugar middle. The taste is all malt. Small spike of bitter and alcohol towards the end. Light bitterness stays with you for a while. Bitterness is mostly from sugar, wood, like chestnut honey enhanced with alcohol. Also slightly metallic on some sips.

Mouthfeel: Fat medium, smooth. Low carbonation and some alcohol warming. Not an easy drink, would be hard to drink more than one.

Overall: Solid sugar bomb, but not my cup of tea. I didn't find this type of sugar particularly tasteful. But definitely worth a try.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A "pale doppelbock" described as the cognac of the beer world on the label. It is indeed pale, a bright sparkly lemon drop yellow with around three inches of white foam. Aroma is intensely sweet and bready, with ample lager yeast character and green grape must. Palate does indeed evoke cognac a little but is of course much sweeter. Tastes of golden cake with icing, apples, a poppy seed nuttiness, and dried plums, esters and phenols abound with a pervasive mustiness that recalls white wine. Hops provide some additional fruit notes like gooseberry and some bitterness to the finish, which is more crisp, dry, and spicy than the initial sweetness would suggest. Boozy like many Belgian tripels and some of the other flavors go down this path as well, although this lager beer is much sweeter than the more attenuated Belgian ale. I like darker flavors in this style but this is worth sampling.

3.96/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours light amber with a skim head that surprisingly stays in some form.

Aromas of sweet malt, vanilla, wood, sugared cherry, honey.

Rich malt and vanilla wood. Fruit, booze, which dissipates to mild bitterness intermingled with the sweetness of the malt. Some honey at the back end, with a little alcohol burn.

A little lighter in body than expected. Medium to medium full.

Very good. Drinkable, not a kick in the teeth in any area. I like the balance in this one.

A nice gold color. Not much head, but there was some active carbonation. A nice fruit like smell, citrus fruit with a hint of sweetness. I can't really describe the taste other than I liked it. The beer had a thick texture like cream. I felt a little alcohol warmth.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From notes, had this at the brewery tour out of their long stemmed snifter

L golden red, no foam

A banana, alcohol, honey, fruity

T sweet, some bitterness, alcoholic

F fine carbonation, medium heavy body, oily

O nice beer for food pairing, definitely a slow sipper

3.58/5  rDev 0%

11,2 Fl. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It pours a clear golden color with three fingers of off-white head.

S - It smells like a malt bomb. I get some huge malty sweetness.

T - It is not the sweet mess that I expected. Don't get me wrong, this is all malt, but it is not super sweet as the smell indicates.

M - Medium and smooth.

O - If you do not like hops, you will probably like this beer. Hell, it's almost like an English barleywine.

3.76/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is our last beer from the Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg. Or Castle Brewing Eggenberg. Either way, this is our last beer from them. I was looking at pictures from the brewery, and this place looks awesome. I have never been to Austria. Guess I need to plan a trip!

I like reading words like, "syrupy" and, "sweet". I also like where the number 23 comes from. The more sugar the better. I am curious if the ABV is hidden. Never had this; stoked. Cheers!

In the Glass: This isn't as dark as I expected it to be. I assume most doppelbocks to be dark. The most recent doppelbock I tried was from Alaskan Brewing Company. That was a sweet malt bomb that I tried both on tap and in the bottle. Actually shared two pints of it with Chuck Noll at Whole Foods here in Scottsdale. Anyway, this is not as dark as I wanted it to be. Not much head, but what head is there is white. No lace, either. I hope this smells awesome.

Nose: Not much aroma here… but what I am smelling is sweet. Basically sugar water. I will say I just drank a double IPA from Captain Lawrence Brewing Company, so my palate is a bit off right now. But the hops were subtle and somewhat fruity. I smelled again, and just getting a boatload of sweet sugary goodness. I hope this tastes as good as it smells. Well… better.

Flavor: Oh. My. God. That is AMAZING!!! The mouthfeel is amazing, but we will get to that. The flavor is incredible, complex, and well… sweet. The finish sucks, but the there is a lot of sugary sweetness on the palate. My entire palate is just covered in sweetness. The burp is even sweet. (Does it gross you out when I talk about my burps?)

On my second sip, I swished it around in my mouth a little. There isn't a ton of carbonation at first, but when you move it around, the bubbles explode across your tongue. Doing that, however, it really opens up and almost has a brown sugar flavor to it. I bet this will heat up nice.

Mouthfeel: It starts out thin, but then, as it gets to the back of my palate and the sugary sweetness begins to open up, the beer starts to carbonate as you swallow. The finish, like I said, sucks… but the sweetness overrides that. It has a weird metallic finish that lingers as I swallow.

Aftertaste: I guess the lingering finish is more a part of the aftertaste than the mouthfeel. After a few sips, the metallic flavor goes away, but it still has a weird flavor when I swallow. I guess that's OK until my last drink. I will just keep chugging this until it's gone.

I REALLY like Samichlaus, their Christmas beer. Of course, it is always available at our local Total Wine & More. I'm sad this brewery is done. I bet they make a few more huh ABV beers that are just loaded with sweetness. This bottle is well done. If you like beer that are sweet and hide the booze, grab a bottle. Not sure it's worth $5.99… but man, this is tasty. Cheers!

3.82/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A- Pours a very light golden straw color. Very clear surprisingly. A half finger of a white head with little retention.

S- Wheat, dark fruit. A bit of hay and onion. And a clean, sweet maltiness.

T- A slight dark fruit at first. There is a bit of plum and fig to be had. An oily hop presence, a greasy feel and an oniony, herbal flavor. A touch of wheat in this beer and a hint of lemongrass as well. A sweeter beer and the sugary malt extenuates the overly ripened dark fruit and oily hop.

M- A ton of feel to this beer and a smooth experience. Low carbonation in this beer. An oily hop aftertaste and feel. A sweet beer and may be cloying to some.

O- Pretty good stuff, an interesting take on Doppelbocks.

3.99/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

pale for sure!!!! poured a . . . . just PALE color . . . . . no topping.
sweet, toasty, malt-y and yummy smell. can this be the same company who does SAMICHLAUS??? I love double bocks...
okay, TOO sweet. kind of nasty. wait. let my taste buds adjust after that triple/IPA 12% I just had. still smells yummy. but the taste is . . . . getting better... I can do this; it's just a shifting of gears from what I just finished. 9.6%, okay . . . . I do love the dopplebocks; they are my favorite. but then hefe used to be my favorite and now i'm just plain tired of the richness. but then (again) I used to like Asian chicks tooo . . . . and . . . . oh well.
okay! palate cleansed with the double bock. still a great smell similar to the other dopples I love, but still a funky, sweet taste that is a little over-powering...
so, in summary, bland, regular appearance. AWESOME smell. AWESOME smell. (again). taste is just... meh.... I can tolerate it for a one time thing-y, ya know. but kind of sweet.
overall, eh... nice abv. i'm buzzed after this and the 12% bomber.... taste is just okay; overall is just okay. note (again) the high marks for SMELL . . . . but this is not what I consider in the same class as a spaten optimator or celebrator or most of the other doppels...

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Golden; effervescent; small head

Aroma: Malty; syrupy; touch of citrus

Taste: Malty; sweet; syrupy; almost chewy; not complex, just thick and strong; ok, but not that impressive

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

4.24/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Beligan Tulip glass.

A: Pours a golden hue with a thin white head that slowly dissipates leaving a partial trail down the side of the glass and a wispy lace.

S: Sweet and slightly fruity aroma with a caramel background. Interesting complex aroma.

T: Smooth orange and fruity flavor with a caramel background. Finishes smooth and slightly dry.

M: Thick body and medium carbonation.

O: This beer has a ton of complex flavor and aroma and enough alcohol to make it interesting.

4.07/5  rDev +13.7%

Fills an antique pilsner glass clear burnished gold with red highlights and a slight, rocky white head. Lots of carbonation cling to the glass while some rises from within.

The aroma is reminiscent of Riesling White Wine, while plums are accompanied with slight honey and lavender notes.

The flavor is mildly acidic, but sweet on entry right through a lingering, dry finish. There is a slight bitterness and an odd, fruity flavor as well.

The alcohol is warming in this full bodied beer with soft, prickly carbonation. It is ultimately very dry with a soft, smooth texture.

Easy drinking as an aperitif after four years in the cellar. While not quite to style, this one is very enjoyable and more similar to a tripple.

Urbock 23° from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg