2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Urbock 23° - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Urbock 23°Urbock 23°

good

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-05-2001)
View: Beers (18) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 366 | Reviews: 285 | Show All Ratings:
mdfb79

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

From 6/4/10 notes. Had on tap at the Saloon in DC.

a - Pours an amber color with 2 inches of white head with great retention.

s - Smells of citrus fruits, spice, and sweet fruity malts.

t - Tastes of smooth bready malts, caramel malts,and a hint of fruit.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - A decent dopplebock. Some nice smooth malts and a little bit of fruit. Would try again.

06-10-2010 23:27:20 | More by mdfb79
Clydesdale

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Pours a clear golden-orange color. The head has an orange tint, but retention is wilting, with sporadic lacing, no doubt due to the considerable alcohol. An interesting hue for a doppelbock.

S: Primarily honeylike and boozy. Some interesting fruity notes, especially of pear along with some apple peel. A touch peppery.

T: A significant honey and slight brown sugar sweetness. Alcohol is spicy, peppery, and highly noticeable. Again, fruity notes of pears and apple peel are evident.

M: Rather full-bodied and somewhat syrupy thanks to fairly light carbonation. As expected, a dry, alcoholic finish.

D: An interesting, unique beer for sure. I enjoyed it as a change of pace, but I hesitate to say that it's particularly outstanding. Worth a try, at any rate.

08-04-2009 01:30:46 | More by Clydesdale
thekanna

Maryland

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this at The Saloon on U St., Washington, D.C.

Appearance: Coppery, clear color with no head (or head that dissipated quickly).

Smell: Faint yeasts and cloves. Overall honey sweetness.

Taste: Honey is the most apparent taste; somewhat reminiscent of Barbar. Overtones of almost honey-sweetened black tea, with slight nuttiness. There seems to be an icy, refreshing complexion to the beer that makes it colder in your mouth than the temperature at which the beer was served.

Overall: A nice sipping beer; good for sampling, but too basic to justify the price for a small glass.

12-30-2008 04:54:19 | More by thekanna
TheMistler

3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

Orange / gold in color, clear to maybe slightly hazy. Continuous and effervescent carbonation props up a long lasting, thick film of head in the middle, with a decent ring and good lacing.

A sweet malt nose. Apples and light fruits, crystallized sugar, and some caramel to boot. Maybe some breadiness and very slight alcohol warming. Just... really sweet.

Pear and apple to the taste, which is again sweet. Every note is caramelized. There is some alcohol spice, but not much in the way of warming, probably because it is basically chilled syrup.

Tasty if sipped very slowly, the sweetness can get cloying fast. Not drinkable.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

11-21-2008 04:27:23 | More by TheMistler
blackie

a: served in what is basically a miniature wine glass, the beer is a light honey-golden in color with a big white head, light retention after the recession

s: sweet pale malt sugars dominate and carry an aroma of baked green apple with a heavy honey sauce, instantly reminiscent of a mead in its honeyed booziness, hops pulpy and herbal/grassy with just a touch of dried lemon peel

m: not quite syrupy, but close, carbonation around medium in level

t: similar in makeup to the aroma, big on the sweet pale grain and honeyed apple flavors, white figs, hops papery and impart a moderate bitterness with some light citrus, appropriately boozy, certainly not to style but I really enjoyed the flavor

d: limited, but a nice sipper

overall: fuck the style constraints, this is much better than a "B" beer in my book, need to pick up a bottle, very nice and quite unique

glass at The Saloon in DC

09-28-2008 05:58:12 | More by blackie
soupyman10

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Weird looking; definitely didn't realize this one was a doppelbock. Pours like a krystalweizen, crystal clear with visible bubbles and a weak head. Light copper color. I am confused. Nose is very tasty: lots of sweet malt, spiciness, alcohol. Taste is likewise: crazy sweet, which I actually like, but tons of spice and alcohol in there as well. Not a doppelbock flavor, to be honest, but not bad. Body's a little thin, carbonation's a little high. Well I'll be honest, I had this one rated a lot higher when I didn't realize its supposed style. Not bad, but doesn't fit with the style in the least. Seems more like an ale, actually.

04-19-2008 03:43:17 | More by soupyman10
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.28/5  rDev +19.9%

A very strange, surprising, and…um…dangerous beer. Tapped at Wonder’s Pub in Madison, WI last week and listed as “Ur Bock Belgian Ale.” I wasn’t sure what to think of it.

Ur Bock 23 pours a bright gold with a thick but short lived white froth. Certainly looks like a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Strong and sweet fruity aromas dominate but I can’t tell if they come from alcohol or just a rather interesting yeast. Bread and biscuits follow.

The flavor is huge and boozey but not as boozey a 9.6% would indicate. Barley sugars, sweet fruity alcohol, orange scones drizzled in honey, and just a touch of herbal hops.

Mouthfeel reminds me of Kasteel Bruine primarily because this beer captures the extreme level of sweetness I recently tasted in the Kasteel. Ur Bock on the otherhand is noticeable larger, though not a large in terms of body or booze feel/taste as one would expect from a 9.6% beer. Ur Bock is both huge and subdued and deceiving at the same time.

Drinkability… Well I had my first glass with a burger and left not knowing quite what beer I had consumed. I returned during a beer club meeting and confirmed that this was a beer from Eggenberg and not a Belgian as I had been lead to believe earlier. I should have know that any beer from Eggenberg would pack a major punch but I ignored this and went ahead drinking 4 chalices with ease. I really enjoyed this beer that seems to me to be yeast and alcohol focused in almost its entirety and would drink it again…although…the headache that arrived a few hours after drinking four wasn’t fun…

Stylistically, I just don’t see anything Doppelbockish about this but perhaps that is what makes it so unique.

10-04-2007 14:53:06 | More by DaPeculierDane
kwakwhore

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a beautiful clear gold with a smallish white head. smell is not intense, not skunky but this beer has perhaps seen better days. Tastes are not intense, some malty sweetness and a little hop bitterness, some alcohol in the flavors but not too much. Not extremely assertive but very enjoyable. This beer might just as easily be called a maibock. This would session very well if it weren't for the 9.6% abv, otherwise it goes down quite easily.

06-30-2007 01:43:40 | More by kwakwhore
FLima

Brazil

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Light copper color with a practically no head.
Nice malty aroma with notes of dark fruits, caramels and a bit of wood.
Sweet slightly toasted malt flavor with notes of caramel, nuts, a bit of cognac, apple puree, light herbal, red wine, chocolate and plums. Mildly dry aftertaste.
Light closer to medium body with low carbonation. Alcohol of 9.6% abv is superbly well hidden, impressive.
I usually don’t like very sweet malty beers, but this is actually a pleasant sipper. Last time I had it was almost 2 years ago, this was felt much better, and probably was not the beer that changed...

03-30-2014 02:34:56 | More by FLima
Hoppsbabo

United Kingdom (England)

4.21/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: A clear pale copper with a small head.

S: Metallic. Can't smell much else but I am outdoors.

T: Syrup and rumness. It's sweet and tastes much like an English barley wine with a slightly lagery grain flavour. It's nice and sticky. The sweetness is perfect. Lots of that alcoholic lacquer flavour. Almost no fruit character.

O: Not overly complex but still delicious and I can't believe all the low ratings.

01-22-2014 08:19:18 | More by Hoppsbabo
utopiajane

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep golden color with good clarity and fat creamy off white head that stays and stays. Nose is strong with malt richness and depth. Like ribbons of scent from malt but nothing burnt or roasted. Just sweet. No hops on the nose but a nice light fruitiness. Sheeting lace that slides back into the ring and alcohol legs. Some grape like sweetness. A bit of sweet chocolate comes forward shyly as it warms. The fruit on the nose is a mere grapey sweetness. Light and bright. Taste is heavenly delight. Rich sweet malt unfolds on the palate. Light chocolate, clean tastes and a grape like sweetness that includes a bit of sweet raisin type depth. Toasty but nothing burnt. No hop flavor until the very end where it finishes with a timid bitter and a little more of that chocolate to linger in the aftertaste. Medium full body, smooth and wonderful.

01-16-2014 14:54:03 | More by utopiajane
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

330ml Bottle: BBD 05/2014. Poured into a Westmalle chalice at home on 14th Jan 2014.

Looks a typical lager/pilsner with a deep orange hue to it's golden body, the wispy white head departed before it arrived, which always annoys me greatly: so not a good start. I don't think I've ever had a light coloured Doppelbock before so I can't really compare it to anything else.

Struggled at first to find any aromas: semi-sweet arrived though with honey hints to the fore as well a candy floss.

The taste was also sweet and again candy floss and honey came to mind. It was difficult to really like to be honest: too strong in alcohol for it's own good and it doesn't try to hide it very well.

A strange one to call: nothing bad at all, but I'll never have another one.

01-14-2014 19:30:43 | More by BlackHaddock
tmzl

Slovenia

3.46/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Pours with average fizzy foam, fast retention, tiny bubbles. Clear, golden with a bit of amber hue. Fair amount of lacing and light carbonation. Good looking lager.

Smell: Honey, propolis, sugar cane, burned sugar. Some spice and wood. Very light fruity aroma for yeast. Alcohol well hidden. Smells like a huge sugar bomb.

Taste: And it is. Honey, medium/heavy sugar cane, burned sugar middle. The taste is all malt. Small spike of bitter and alcohol towards the end. Light bitterness stays with you for a while. Bitterness is mostly from sugar, wood, like chestnut honey enhanced with alcohol. Also slightly metallic on some sips.

Mouthfeel: Fat medium, smooth. Low carbonation and some alcohol warming. Not an easy drink, would be hard to drink more than one.

Overall: Solid sugar bomb, but not my cup of tea. I didn't find this type of sugar particularly tasteful. But definitely worth a try.

01-09-2014 21:04:25 | More by tmzl
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A "pale doppelbock" described as the cognac of the beer world on the label. It is indeed pale, a bright sparkly lemon drop yellow with around three inches of white foam. Aroma is intensely sweet and bready, with ample lager yeast character and green grape must. Palate does indeed evoke cognac a little but is of course much sweeter. Tastes of golden cake with icing, apples, a poppy seed nuttiness, and dried plums, esters and phenols abound with a pervasive mustiness that recalls white wine. Hops provide some additional fruit notes like gooseberry and some bitterness to the finish, which is more crisp, dry, and spicy than the initial sweetness would suggest. Boozy like many Belgian tripels and some of the other flavors go down this path as well, although this lager beer is much sweeter than the more attenuated Belgian ale. I like darker flavors in this style but this is worth sampling.

12-21-2013 20:40:08 | More by CalgaryFMC
OtherShoe2

3.96/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours light amber with a skim head that surprisingly stays in some form.

Aromas of sweet malt, vanilla, wood, sugared cherry, honey.

Rich malt and vanilla wood. Fruit, booze, which dissipates to mild bitterness intermingled with the sweetness of the malt. Some honey at the back end, with a little alcohol burn.

A little lighter in body than expected. Medium to medium full.

Very good. Drinkable, not a kick in the teeth in any area. I like the balance in this one.

12-14-2013 19:35:06 | More by OtherShoe2
deg

New Hampshire

A nice gold color. Not much head, but there was some active carbonation. A nice fruit like smell, citrus fruit with a hint of sweetness. I can't really describe the taste other than I liked it. The beer had a thick texture like cream. I felt a little alcohol warmth.

11-06-2013 02:38:59 | More by deg
safaricook

Netherlands

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From notes, had this at the brewery tour out of their long stemmed snifter

L golden red, no foam

A banana, alcohol, honey, fruity

T sweet, some bitterness, alcoholic

F fine carbonation, medium heavy body, oily

O nice beer for food pairing, definitely a slow sipper

09-04-2013 19:32:24 | More by safaricook
buschbeer

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

11,2 Fl. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It pours a clear golden color with three fingers of off-white head.

S - It smells like a malt bomb. I get some huge malty sweetness.

T - It is not the sweet mess that I expected. Don't get me wrong, this is all malt, but it is not super sweet as the smell indicates.

M - Medium and smooth.

O - If you do not like hops, you will probably like this beer. Hell, it's almost like an English barleywine.

09-01-2013 20:24:43 | More by buschbeer
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is our last beer from the Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg. Or Castle Brewing Eggenberg. Either way, this is our last beer from them. I was looking at pictures from the brewery, and this place looks awesome. I have never been to Austria. Guess I need to plan a trip!

I like reading words like, "syrupy" and, "sweet". I also like where the number 23 comes from. The more sugar the better. I am curious if the ABV is hidden. Never had this; stoked. Cheers!

In the Glass: This isn't as dark as I expected it to be. I assume most doppelbocks to be dark. The most recent doppelbock I tried was from Alaskan Brewing Company. That was a sweet malt bomb that I tried both on tap and in the bottle. Actually shared two pints of it with Chuck Noll at Whole Foods here in Scottsdale. Anyway, this is not as dark as I wanted it to be. Not much head, but what head is there is white. No lace, either. I hope this smells awesome.

Nose: Not much aroma here… but what I am smelling is sweet. Basically sugar water. I will say I just drank a double IPA from Captain Lawrence Brewing Company, so my palate is a bit off right now. But the hops were subtle and somewhat fruity. I smelled again, and just getting a boatload of sweet sugary goodness. I hope this tastes as good as it smells. Well… better.

Flavor: Oh. My. God. That is AMAZING!!! The mouthfeel is amazing, but we will get to that. The flavor is incredible, complex, and well… sweet. The finish sucks, but the there is a lot of sugary sweetness on the palate. My entire palate is just covered in sweetness. The burp is even sweet. (Does it gross you out when I talk about my burps?)

On my second sip, I swished it around in my mouth a little. There isn't a ton of carbonation at first, but when you move it around, the bubbles explode across your tongue. Doing that, however, it really opens up and almost has a brown sugar flavor to it. I bet this will heat up nice.

Mouthfeel: It starts out thin, but then, as it gets to the back of my palate and the sugary sweetness begins to open up, the beer starts to carbonate as you swallow. The finish, like I said, sucks… but the sweetness overrides that. It has a weird metallic finish that lingers as I swallow.

Aftertaste: I guess the lingering finish is more a part of the aftertaste than the mouthfeel. After a few sips, the metallic flavor goes away, but it still has a weird flavor when I swallow. I guess that's OK until my last drink. I will just keep chugging this until it's gone.

I REALLY like Samichlaus, their Christmas beer. Of course, it is always available at our local Total Wine & More. I'm sad this brewery is done. I bet they make a few more huh ABV beers that are just loaded with sweetness. This bottle is well done. If you like beer that are sweet and hide the booze, grab a bottle. Not sure it's worth $5.99… but man, this is tasty. Cheers!

07-10-2013 05:14:35 | More by rickyleepotts
TwelveOunces

Kentucky

3.81/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A- Pours a very light golden straw color. Very clear surprisingly. A half finger of a white head with little retention.

S- Wheat, dark fruit. A bit of hay and onion. And a clean, sweet maltiness.

T- A slight dark fruit at first. There is a bit of plum and fig to be had. An oily hop presence, a greasy feel and an oniony, herbal flavor. A touch of wheat in this beer and a hint of lemongrass as well. A sweeter beer and the sugary malt extenuates the overly ripened dark fruit and oily hop.

M- A ton of feel to this beer and a smooth experience. Low carbonation in this beer. An oily hop aftertaste and feel. A sweet beer and may be cloying to some.

O- Pretty good stuff, an interesting take on Doppelbocks.

07-04-2013 23:08:49 | More by TwelveOunces
pkalix

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

pale for sure!!!! poured a . . . . just PALE color . . . . . no topping.
sweet, toasty, malt-y and yummy smell. can this be the same company who does SAMICHLAUS??? I love double bocks...
okay, TOO sweet. kind of nasty. wait. let my taste buds adjust after that triple/IPA 12% I just had. still smells yummy. but the taste is . . . . getting better... I can do this; it's just a shifting of gears from what I just finished. 9.6%, okay . . . . I do love the dopplebocks; they are my favorite. but then hefe used to be my favorite and now i'm just plain tired of the richness. but then (again) I used to like Asian chicks tooo . . . . and . . . . oh well.
okay! palate cleansed with the double bock. still a great smell similar to the other dopples I love, but still a funky, sweet taste that is a little over-powering...
so, in summary, bland, regular appearance. AWESOME smell. AWESOME smell. (again). taste is just... meh.... I can tolerate it for a one time thing-y, ya know. but kind of sweet.
overall, eh... nice abv. i'm buzzed after this and the 12% bomber.... taste is just okay; overall is just okay. note (again) the high marks for SMELL . . . . but this is not what I consider in the same class as a spaten optimator or celebrator or most of the other doppels...

07-04-2013 01:45:39 | More by pkalix
IchLiebeBier

3.25/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Golden; effervescent; small head

Aroma: Malty; syrupy; touch of citrus

Taste: Malty; sweet; syrupy; almost chewy; not complex, just thick and strong; ok, but not that impressive

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 23:09:17 | More by IchLiebeBier
ckollias

Maryland

4.24/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Beligan Tulip glass.

A: Pours a golden hue with a thin white head that slowly dissipates leaving a partial trail down the side of the glass and a wispy lace.

S: Sweet and slightly fruity aroma with a caramel background. Interesting complex aroma.

T: Smooth orange and fruity flavor with a caramel background. Finishes smooth and slightly dry.

M: Thick body and medium carbonation.

O: This beer has a ton of complex flavor and aroma and enough alcohol to make it interesting.

05-29-2013 02:23:28 | More by ckollias
SLeffler27

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Fills an antique pilsner glass clear burnished gold with red highlights and a slight, rocky white head. Lots of carbonation cling to the glass while some rises from within.

The aroma is reminiscent of Riesling White Wine, while plums are accompanied with slight honey and lavender notes.

The flavor is mildly acidic, but sweet on entry right through a lingering, dry finish. There is a slight bitterness and an odd, fruity flavor as well.

The alcohol is warming in this full bodied beer with soft, prickly carbonation. It is ultimately very dry with a soft, smooth texture.

Easy drinking as an aperitif after four years in the cellar. While not quite to style, this one is very enjoyable and more similar to a tripple.

12-28-2012 12:08:01 | More by SLeffler27
Docrock

3.48/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - light copper color, almost no head whatsoever.

S - malt aroma almost overpowering, caramel, and just a hint of yeast. The alcohol is clearly evident.

T - doesnt taste like most Doppels I've had. lots of maltiness, maybe a touch of rum like flavor, but it doesnt taste balanced to me. it is sweet with minimal hop character.

M - it is smooth and mouth warming, but with no carbonation to speak of.

O - picked this up since I am a big Samichlaus fan, but this one left me wanting. a unique beer, but not sure if it fits the style so rated a bit lower due to that.

12-23-2012 16:44:00 | More by Docrock