Urbock 23° - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website

Doppelbock |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-05-2001

3.13/5  rDev -12.6%

A sweet beer that is also malty, Urbock 23 is dark golden color coming out of the bottle. Continental malt dominated the aroma of the beer with maybe a hint of hops in the background. I sipped the beer and it went from cool to warm during the time I drank it. The flavors during the transition ranged from near-cloying sweetness at its coldest to sweet and spicy when it warmed. The alcohol was pretty noticeable when the beer got warm, but I thought it sort of added to the flavor of the beer. The mouthfeel was middle of the road for dopplebocks, and it was a definite sipper (though I expect this at this level).

Overall an uncomplicated and average beer that's a bit more of a golden or maibock. If you love dopplebocks its worth having at least once. I can see why some people are put off by it, though, especially if you are into complex Belgian beers. Nothing really blew me away. I wouldn't pay the cost again for this beer given the high price it has in the USA.

3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours out an orangey yellow into my glass. No head at all. Smell is malty sweet, caramel overtones and candy sugar. Plenty of alcohol presence in there as well. Slightly syrupy mouthfeel. Quite pleasant for a malt head like me. Not as sweet as the more potent Samichlaus. A tasty treat that I wish I had bought more of

4.02/5  rDev +12.3%

33 cl bottle poured into an Ayinger Celebrator dopplebock glass.

A: As the label suggests, the beer pours a lot lighter than most doppelbocks. Amber in color with a slow-forming head. Some lacing.

S: Definitely get a good whiff of the alcohol in the beer. Semi-sweet malty scent with some raisins, figs, and other fruits.

T: Tastes like it smells, with a full-bodied malt taste. More flavors with a few more sips, although I can't classify everything this first round of tasting. Fairly complex for a "helles" doppelbock.

M: Very smooth. After a few sips a warming sensation kicks in from the alcohol.

D: Enough complexity to try this one again. Pretty smooth for a 9.60% ABV, so a few of these and you'd be on the floor if you're not careful.

3.76/5  rDev +5%

Light gold pour with little light head thinning out relatively quickly in my glass.

I smell apple skins and cider. No malt, no hops. I'm skeptical.

Tastes of disappointment and pears. Caramelized pear in the body portion that is ushered in and out on fizzy dollies leaving unfermented sugar stains on the carpet of your tongue. I could see this as a weak Belgian triple but a doppelbock this is not.

In all fairness I am relatively new to the world of beer tasting so I could be way off on this but I know there are others in my general experience bracket who will benefit from my experience. I hope to revisit this one when I have more under my belt.

Mouthfeel is generally good but I'm getting a lot of soft carbonation with just a little wash of a medium body in the middle third of the sip.

Drinkability, under controlled circumstances is pretty good. I might have a few of these but with the ABV and relative body in the mouth, three would be plenty.

I'm guessing this was one of the best beers in the world in 1700 but since then only the hype has grown in quality.

I'll try this again at some point in the future in case my tastes evolve but currently, I'm not looking forward to it.

3.27/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours to a clear amber/copper color. The aroma is sweet and alcoholic almost like a fine wine. The mouthfeel is a little dry, but I tend to like beers like that. There is a sweet flavor with bits of caramel and the alcohol is a bit overwhelming to the other flavors. There is also an oak undertone possibly from the barrels.

3.77/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a honey-gold, with a white fluffy head, quickly dissipating (all too quick - but to be expected at this abv level). Smells of sweet malts, a sugary, caramel, notes of brandy. Surprisingly thin thouht, certainly sweet malts, crisp finish, light hops - again somewhat watery for this high-priced brew. Excellent mouthfeel. Drinkable, but the abv prevents me from trying another tonight.

3.22/5  rDev -10.1%

Light gold color with no head. Doesn't look too special. Aroma is OK, has that "European" smell. Light carbonation. Upon tasting you realize that this is not your typical European lager. Starts somewhat sweet, then some heat from the alcohol kicks in. From there, I get a long lasting flavor that eventually fades to a moderate bitterness on the back of my tongue. Very smooth. Yum! Well done stong pale doppelbock. I usually prefer dunkel bocks, but this beer is quite good.

3.7/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Nice dark copper coloring, very minimal head and small amount of lacing as I drink.

S - Nice malty smell with a little bit of spicy breadiness in the nose.

T - Sweetness and alcoholic character is in the front of this beer. Not as flavorful as other samples of this style, but still an enjoyable beer.

M - Low level of carbonation, and a slightly better than average mouthfeel.

D - At 9.6%, this is a fairly stiff drinker, and the alcohol content is fairly upfront.

3.34/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Indeed, it is pale for double bock. I wasn't really put off by this. But what was off-putting was the too-sweet finish. It starts with good malt, but it is simply too sweet. Probably unfair that I had this after trying the Celebrator for the first time. Even so, I couldn't even finish it.

4.03/5  rDev +12.6%

Nicely poured to a crisp golden amber, little to no head, most likely do to the alcohol.

Aroma of caramel, green apple tinge, with a malt sweetness

Flavor rolls up with smooth malt sweetness, caramel, peppery aftertone, and spicy. With a green apple, apparent as warming.

Mouth feel is low carbonation, smooth, crisp, moderate body.

Overall a nice delicious, flavorful brew.

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Nice clear deep amber. White thick head.

S: Caramel and toasted malts.

T: Very sweet caramel malts. Some toasted grain showing through. No hops percieved.

M: Fairly dense body. Light carbonation.

D: Sweetness and heavier body makes this more of a sipper.

Definitely a memorable pour. Reminiscent of Eggenberg Samichlaus given its taste and fruitiness, but not quite as dark or syrupy. Urbock 23 also has more carbonation, head and surprisingly, the alcohol seems more forward. This does drink a bit "more like a beer" IMHO--as compared to the port-like Samichlaus--although like its sibling, it packs a pretty good wallop given the 9.6 ABV. This actually seemed to hit me harder than some +10 ABV imperials I've had and at least as hard as its big bro St. Nick.

3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a clear golden color with a few small bubbles and about a quarter inch head that fades quickly.

Smells like sweet alcohol with some caramel pear and toffee in there. The alcohol was slightly burning at first sniff. Reminds me of Samichlaus, but that brew doesn't have the biting alcohol scent even though it is about 5% higher.

Initial sip reminds me of Samichlaus and malt liquor. Sweet alcohol. Syrupy and malty with hints of pear and toffee as the beer warms. A dry and slightly bitter finish. Beer gets much better as it warms.

Full body, syrupy like Samichlaus.

This beer is like the younger unrefined brother to Samichlaus. Very similar tastes and mouthfeel. This beer would probably age well assuming the alcohol bite blends more with the brew.

It wasn't bad but for the price I would rather buy a Samichlaus or something else.

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

11.2oz bottle

I very much agree with other posters that this beer all in all fails to live up to prior expectations.

A: Thinking it's a Doppelbock, what you actually get when you pour it is a light colored beer with little head that dissipates quickly to nothing.

S & T: You get a very strong alcohol smell (and not much else) that carries over to dominate the taste profile.

M: The mouth feel is OK in that it's not a watery consistency at all.

Drinkability: I'm neither rushing out to get another one, nor will I be quick to recommend this one. I agree it seems to be incorrectly classified on this an other websites as a Doppelbock, and if anything it should be considered a Helles Bock, or maybe a Euro Strong Lager given the high ABV.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours an orangey-peach color with a minimal white head. Head quickly dissipates to nothing; no lacing. There is a lot of fine bubbles, however.

A pleasant, refined, strong aroma of pale malty sweetness, paired with fruits (apple, pear, banana) and a slight alcholic note.

Initially a sweet taste, once again with fruit flavors, followed by an alcohol spice and hop bitterness in the finish. Well balanced, but not what's expected for a doppelbock - I was thinking this was more of a maibock. I found the taste to be quite pleasant.

Medium bodied, with a zest provided by the bubbly carbonation which belies the weak head. Definitely warming, and not all too drinkable due to the presence of the alcohol.

A surprising beer, and surprisingly good.

3.28/5  rDev -8.4%

This is certainly an interesting and unique beer. I had this beer a week ago so this is a very limited review, however, I remember it being very vinious, lots of fusel alcohol in the smell and taste, wine-like, and especially mead-like... Sweet honey, apple, maybe some balancing spices, a moderately slick mouthfeel, very boozy, and some spices that actually if i remember correclty reminded me of Samichlaus (some sprucey and fig notes)... Not up my alley, something I would like to present to my dad however, who loves meade and avoids beer. The eggenberg doppelbock dunkel was amazing though.

3.07/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured somewhat vigorously into my favorite tulip glass, and was treated to white finger thick head that quickly vanished to a thin film. Clear glowing golden hue, a much lighter in color that I had expected given that all the other dopplebock's I've had were a deep mahogany.
The smells of alcohol and an underlying caramel sweetness.
The alcohol fumes almost seem to be thicker that the brew itself. When you take a sip, the vapors rush to the roof of your mouth with an interesting sensation of its own.
Alcohol dominates the palate, but smooths out revealing the caramel flavor that the scent only hinted at. The flavor lingers for a good ten to fifteen seconds as your whole body is warmed!

I'm glad I tried it, but it wont fit into the regular rotation.

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

Samichlaus dialed back. Ok, so it's not supposed to be but that's the impression I get from first opening the bottle, to the pour, to the smell and finally to the taste.

This poured a light golden amber with a short dense head that faded to a ring. The overall appearance is that of a watered down whiskey. The smell is sweet and a malty. Taste is similar. This one was very drinkable to me. Again, a dialed back version of Samichlaus but there's nothing missing here. This one is stands on it's own.

I look forward to the next opportunity to try this again.

3.82/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Deep gold tending toward light brown; Clear with small amount of sediment floating within. Aggressive pour garnered a one-finger head which faded quickly.

S - Charactetistic doppelbock dark-fruitiness. Alcohol intensity intentionally pushed in the brewing process - rather powerful for the style.
Sweet, malty presence.

T - Sweet malt, hint of smokiness, citrus sour and alcohol bite on the edges - akin to a good whisky. Warming.

M - Medium-heavy body, smooth finish. Light carbonation.

D - Highly drinkable due to the smooth nature of this brew. Prost!

2.74/5  rDev -23.5%

Urbock 23

I bought this sweet baby down at The Headkeeper in Greensburg. I saw that it was brewed by the same people that brought me my wonderful Samichlaus so I figured I'd give it a try. I poured an 11.2 oz. bottle into my tasting snifter at just below 40 or so degrees. There was a small white head that disappeared as soon as the bottle was completely emptied. The beer was crystal clear, no sediment in the glass and a ruby-orange color. The aroma was a bit musky, with a fair bit of hops and malt in the background. The taste was pleasant, a bit bitter and very little carbonation. With an alcohol content of 9.6% you can hardly taste the alcohol in it. A good beer overall, will probably recommend it to fellow drinkers in the future.

3.55/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Maybe I need some more education regarding the difference between a bock and a doppelbock...

Appearance: This pours and looks like an English barleywine, as far as I'm concerned. A vigorous pour yields a very short-lived half-finger head, atop a nice-looking dark golden body. This beer is translucent, but a little on the viscous side. Lacing is non-existent.

Smell: Fermented honey. Frankly, that's all I detect.

Taste: Like a suped-up mead, with hints of toasted malt and sorghum. Pretty simple and straightforward, albeit strong.

Mouthfeel: This is where the beer shines. It's thick, heavy, and only mildly carbonated, again reminiscent of a barleywine. My only complaint is a strange absence of tongue/throat coating. I'd kind of like some of that with this beer.

Drinkability: Well, this is a fairly strong brew, so I don't think I could handle more than MAYBE two in a sitting. It's warming and thick enough to discourage a long drinking session. All in all, this urbock is a nice cold-weather beer, but you probably won't want to drink more than one at a time.

3.7/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured really nice pale orange with a fastly disappearing head that settles to a clumpy level film of head.

Smells like malt, and alot of malt. Sweet with some boozy notes.

Tastes like sweet bread and Caramel. Really clean taste that's crisp and clean. Not that complex, but a good taste. I am not sure how old this bottle is, because I can't taste the booze at all. It might be aged and mellowed. Enjoyable beer for somebody who normally doesn't drink lagers.

2.28/5  rDev -36.3%

Clear golden color, not much of a head. Sweet smell of fruit, cloying and not fresh imho... Yucky taste, too much barley sweetish taste, but I'm not a fan of barley on the other hand. Very warming in the tummy, the 9.6 ABV makes sure of that. 8)

Not a good beer in my opinion, the barley taste is just too much for me.. :(

3.55/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer was poured gently into a beer mug. A nice bronze colour shown through the clear glass, but there was very little head. The smell brings promise of alcohol and honey malt sweetness. The taste is a caramel and honey like character, with plenty of sweetness to back up the alcohol feel. No noticeable hop bitterness. The beer has body, but it still remains light.

The beer "goes down smoothly" I suppose. Its drinkable, but someone with some experience with beer knows a beer at 9.2% often make things happen almost 2 times as fast as a 5% beer. I suspect candy sugar was used as part of this beers ingrediants.

2.43/5  rDev -32.1%

Never had an UrBock before, and if this is typical of the style I won't have many more.

The beer pours a nice golden color with a thin head that quickly dissipates.

The smell is...well let's just say I got too close and now I won't have to trim my nose hairs for my trip to Germany.

The taste is dominated by alcohol and really interfers with any malt flavor that might be standing at the back of the line.

Did I hate it? No, but I will be in Bamberg next week just in time for one of the breweries there to tap their famous Urbock. Check for that review to ascertain if this style is worth a try or not.

Prost!....Just about 24 hours or so until TTU94 causes another international incident.

Urbock 23° from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg