Urbock 23° - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

good

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-05-2001)

RWACKO, Nov 21, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

GinsuDave, May 21, 2013
4.2/5  rDev +17%

A - Amber and clear. Pours with a small head that is all but gone within a minute. Medium level of carbonation.

S - Very malty, with a strong smell of alcohol. Also, has a mild scent of apples.

T - Sweet malts, almost like shortbread. Clear taste of alcohol, with a subtle underlying fruitiness.

M - Warming and creamy but still manages to maintain a light body. Very alcoholic feel on the tongue, to the point of being numbing.

D - Although the alcohol is very upfront in this beer, it remains drinkable. The flavours are quite complex, and there may have been flavours that I didn't manage to decipher this time round. Will definitely seek this out again.

PartyBear, Aug 08, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

When I see "Bock" or Doppelbock" on the label I immediately have certain expectations. This Eggenberg didn't quite fill those expectations.

It poured with a color somewhat lighter than I expected it would-- looked more like an ale--a clear amber color.

As I began to pour, my hopes were piqued as the nose wafted with a sudden almost floral bouquet and then suddenly as I hoped for more.. nothing. Swirling cajoling, prodding the libation in my glass, begging pleading... produced nothing more. A deep inhale... I think there was some hints of alcohol and malt. I think.

Flavor-- many of the things that make a dopplebock a dopple bock were present--. malty but not cloying, the hops balanced the malt, and the malt has the upper hand in the flavor balance. The beer isn't really sweet nor did it trigger the thoughts of syrup in my beer tasting mind, but there is unmistakable presence of alcohol, hops and malt. I think I can taste caramel in there as well. But overall this beer seems like it's a rather one-dimensional flavor dominated by the malt signature and then the alcohol all teetering on the fulcrum of hops bitterness.

Nevertheless, the mouthfeel was cordial and quite satisfying brew.

Drinkability- sure enough I sucked the last little droplet out of my glass and then nursed the bottle for the vapors... so I could quaff a few bottles of this in a sitting. But the 9.6% ABV made itself known. Still, when I consider the whole A-S-T-M-D scenario, there are other bock biers that produce a greater satisfaction in my beer-lover tummy---

gueuzeonhigh, Feb 06, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

12 oz brown bottle.

Pours a dark golden color with rather little head.

Smell is mostly an alcohol aroma with a bit of bready, malt sweetness.

Taste is nice with sweetness upfront, a bit of alcohol warming and an almost roasty finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Drinkability suffers a bit due to the high ABV and the fact that it is pretty noticeable. A strong beer with not much aroma or beauty but a nice, well-blended taste.

AaronHomoya, May 08, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

In a wide straight glass, around 45-50F.

Pours a medium dark yellow, not quite amber. Nice head of foam, and stuck around, beautifull lacing.

Aroma of german malts and a hint of continental hops and alcohol. Flavor of a clean fermented strong ale. Lots of malt, bread and alcohol in the taste.

Quite a dlicious lager, but seems more like a maibock than a dobblebock.

bloberglawp, Aug 28, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours on the very light side of a doppelbock, a crystal clear golden yellow color. Not much of a head is formed, about an eighth of an inch with okay tracing. The aroma is really intriguing, lots of caramel coated fruit. Very little to no roastiness, just a light toasted wheat note. Overall, the aroma seems just too fruity for the style, but again, this is on the lighter color and perhaps it's more appropriate. On the palate it is incredibly rich and sweet. It reminds me more of Samiclaus than any other doppelbock. There is a little toasted flavor, but it just isn't like any other doppel. Carbonation is very low providing a very thick, viscous mouthfeel. This beer is what I would call close to a white port, though I haven't drank one. Alcohol is quite apparent but not overbearing. Overall, I enjoy this beer and see how it's flavors mirror a lot from experimental brewers like Sam Calagione and the folks at Avery.

dreadnatty08, Feb 25, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Clear golden body with a rather light, quickly fading head. Sweet, honey-ish malty aroma, with a mild kick of alcohol. lavor starts out with sweet, biscuity malts. A nice balancing of hops becomes present. Finishs a little sherry-like, with a nice warming sensation. Body was, as expected for its heft, rich. I enjoyed this beer for being sweet without being cloying, which is what I was (wrongly) expecting. Nice beer.

pbrian, Mar 24, 2004
2.3/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours a beautiful golden color with a pure white head that died immediately.

Some alcohol and light fruits in the aroma.

The taste is just pure alcohol and sugar. I honestly can't find anything special about the flavor. Hopefully it's just this bottle and the next will be better.

Unless the second bottle is better I won't be buying this beer again.

SuperSpy, Oct 04, 2006

Marius, Jul 16, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +24.5%

A - A beautiful amber, decent head but nothing spectacular

S - Fruit, citrus aromas, some alcohol (remember its 9%+) and malt and hops

T - tastes the way it smells very nice and complex beer

M - Medium carbonation, medium try on the tongue and quite creamy and smooth for the style

D - Could be very high but you feel and taste the alcohol after a while also it s a bit acidic after a while in other words could be a 5 but is more like a 4 - goes down well

DerBayer, Jul 11, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

Shatter, Feb 21, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +15%

Wonderful sweet malty aroma. Compact, glossy white head. Clear dark gold body. Smells of raisins and plums, with a hint of spice and a hint of wood.

Chewy, just slightly medicinal, very slick and creamy. At the end, some dry, raspy sourness.

A delightfully creamy and sweet beer. Reminds me of a Sauternes wine, or perhaps a Tokay. Marvelous.

Darkale, Jun 11, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

The one thing I love about being back in the US is the massive variety of beer that is available to us. Sometimes I think that we forget about that. I picked up this nice looking bottle about 2 miles away from my apartment. I've never had anything from Castle Eggenberg before, but something was telling me to grab this instead of the Samilchlaus sitting right alongside of it. It pours a nice golden color with a head that sticks around for about 10 seconds before retreating to the walls of the glass. Not too impressive. Smell consists of very sweet malts and faint faint notes of alcohol. Taste is a malt lovers paradise. Very sweet toffee-ish malts lead into traces of alcohol on the tongue. It definately warms as it is going down. A dry alcohol taste remains on the tongue for several minutes after swallowing. This would be a perfect beer for crisp October nights and I think I will be saving my next bottle for exactly one of those evenings.

soper2000, Sep 11, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into a snifter w/ little to no head. It looks like a high gravity beer as it leaves an alcohol trail around the glass as it is swirled. The aroma is hot w/ alcohol fumes, there is whiff of figs and leather. The taste is HOT alcohol that warms as it goes down. The sweet malt is the showcase, very full bodied. The heat and the sweet coating of sugars are a little much. This is a brew to be enjoyed once in a while, but not everyday.

phishgator, Jun 26, 2006

BILF, Dec 19, 2013
1.9/5  rDev -47.1%

I think that the style is wrong for this beer. Urbock is very different from every doppelbock I have ever had. Clear orange gold color with a frothy head that subsided quickly atop a beer with very little carbonation. The flavors of this beer were primarily in the domain of hops and not malt as the flavor began with a sharp German hop bitterness followed by a sweet light malt and high alcohol followed by a lingering hop bitterness. I do not believe Munich malt came anywhere near this doppelbock as the malt flavors are smooth and the color is so light . A pretty good beer with no faults but it is a very poor example of a doppelbock.

RenoZymurgist, Aug 05, 2004
3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Orange / gold in color, clear to maybe slightly hazy. Continuous and effervescent carbonation props up a long lasting, thick film of head in the middle, with a decent ring and good lacing.

A sweet malt nose. Apples and light fruits, crystallized sugar, and some caramel to boot. Maybe some breadiness and very slight alcohol warming. Just... really sweet.

Pear and apple to the taste, which is again sweet. Every note is caramelized. There is some alcohol spice, but not much in the way of warming, probably because it is basically chilled syrup.

Tasty if sipped very slowly, the sweetness can get cloying fast. Not drinkable.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

TheMistler, Nov 21, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

GreatBloomer, Nov 28, 2013
2.95/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a clear golden amber with basically no head at all. Looks like watery apple juice

Aroma: A little sour and fruity; apples, pears, alcohol isn't hidden

Taste: Begins with a mix of sweet and sour fruit flavours. Apple skins, sugary pears come to mind. Finishes sour with a lingering bitterness. Not overly dry and doesn't make any atempt to hide the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with an extremely low carbonation.

EatsTacos, Apr 19, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -26.7%

330mL bottle purchased from LCBO in Toronto. Pours a poor fizzy pale gold. Little head and no lacing. Decent malty aroma. First taste is sweet. Very sweet. The taste remains syrupy throughout. The malts don't balance out the sweetness and the hops are not noticeable. Not an enjoyable beer.

sstackho, May 03, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +19.8%

This one hit my nostrils first with a pungent aroma of alcohol and citrus..

The flavour carried nicely out from it- tangy and sweet with a little citrus and spice.

A little thick, with tight carbonation up front.

THis one tends to draw you in a bit...sort of like a 'comfort beer'...

UncleFlip, Feb 12, 2006

jeiiVP, Feb 27, 2014
3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Nice deep gold with a two finger head that quickly falls, leaving a lacy surface foam. Falls from the high alcohol, i presume. Malty sweet in the nose. High alcohol - like a barley whine w/o hops. Taste is very sweet. It is strong but lacks the balance of bitterness. cloying at times. Seems smooth and might be a good after dinner drink.

elmocoso, Jul 07, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

This is our last beer from the Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg. Or Castle Brewing Eggenberg. Either way, this is our last beer from them. I was looking at pictures from the brewery, and this place looks awesome. I have never been to Austria. Guess I need to plan a trip!

I like reading words like, "syrupy" and, "sweet". I also like where the number 23 comes from. The more sugar the better. I am curious if the ABV is hidden. Never had this; stoked. Cheers!

In the Glass: This isn't as dark as I expected it to be. I assume most doppelbocks to be dark. The most recent doppelbock I tried was from Alaskan Brewing Company. That was a sweet malt bomb that I tried both on tap and in the bottle. Actually shared two pints of it with Chuck Noll at Whole Foods here in Scottsdale. Anyway, this is not as dark as I wanted it to be. Not much head, but what head is there is white. No lace, either. I hope this smells awesome.

Nose: Not much aroma here… but what I am smelling is sweet. Basically sugar water. I will say I just drank a double IPA from Captain Lawrence Brewing Company, so my palate is a bit off right now. But the hops were subtle and somewhat fruity. I smelled again, and just getting a boatload of sweet sugary goodness. I hope this tastes as good as it smells. Well… better.

Flavor: Oh. My. God. That is AMAZING!!! The mouthfeel is amazing, but we will get to that. The flavor is incredible, complex, and well… sweet. The finish sucks, but the there is a lot of sugary sweetness on the palate. My entire palate is just covered in sweetness. The burp is even sweet. (Does it gross you out when I talk about my burps?)

On my second sip, I swished it around in my mouth a little. There isn't a ton of carbonation at first, but when you move it around, the bubbles explode across your tongue. Doing that, however, it really opens up and almost has a brown sugar flavor to it. I bet this will heat up nice.

Mouthfeel: It starts out thin, but then, as it gets to the back of my palate and the sugary sweetness begins to open up, the beer starts to carbonate as you swallow. The finish, like I said, sucks… but the sweetness overrides that. It has a weird metallic finish that lingers as I swallow.

Aftertaste: I guess the lingering finish is more a part of the aftertaste than the mouthfeel. After a few sips, the metallic flavor goes away, but it still has a weird flavor when I swallow. I guess that's OK until my last drink. I will just keep chugging this until it's gone.

I REALLY like Samichlaus, their Christmas beer. Of course, it is always available at our local Total Wine & More. I'm sad this brewery is done. I bet they make a few more huh ABV beers that are just loaded with sweetness. This bottle is well done. If you like beer that are sweet and hide the booze, grab a bottle. Not sure it's worth $5.99… but man, this is tasty. Cheers!

rickyleepotts, Jul 10, 2013