Urbock 23° - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

good

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-05-2001)
3.1/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours very clear and light for a doppelbock -- it's really more pilsner colored. No head to speak of, though that's no surprise given the ABV. Aromas are quite sweet, with a honeyish character in the background and candied stone fruits up front. There's a hint of drying spice underneath everything, and a slight hop presence that comes out only at higher temperatures. On the palate, things start out with a touch of overdone sweetness, then hop bitterness and then an astringent spiciness that leaves a bitter aftertaste at the finish. Mouthfeel is zippy and light. Overall, I'll say about this exactly what I say about Samichlaus: it ain't a doppelbock, first of all. However, whereas Samichlaus, especially with some age, shows some softness and depth of flavor in the fruit column, this beer has none of that. Maybe it will come with time, but for now this is only middling.

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Classy looking bottle. Once poured, looks like clear honey-orange with lots of little bubbles. Small thick white head. Nose is fruity alcohol, with slight grass and must. Taste is syrupy ethanol, with an odd spiciness and some unbalanced hops. Mouthfeel is average, drinkability is hurt by the taste. Doesn't seem to fit the style.

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : bière blonde dorée lumineuse, belle mousse onctueuse et abondante
Smell : arôme très profond de malt
Taste and mouthfeel : sucrée très moelleuse
Drinkability : bonne bière très riche forte (9.9%, gravité de 23) et sucrée

4.22/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a golden yellow with a light thin head, which doesn't appear to look like a typical dopplebock. The aromas are of strong alcohol, but not unappealing, and honey, almost mead-like. The taste is great, traces of honey as well as oak, and a strong alcohol taste, which isn't surprising coming from Brewery Castle Eggenberg, the maker of Samichlaus. This beer is very good, but it is definately not a session beer by any means. This beer needs to be savored, and let it warm up a little bit.

2.4/5  rDev -33%

Clear golden color with a slim fizzy white head that dissipates almost as soon as it was formed. Sweet white grape juice, apple juice, and slightly grainy nose. Hot alcohol is not hiding here and lends to a hard metallic flavor. Dry grains, peppery spice, and a slight mint character seems out place for a Doppel. Medicinal to vinous at times. The mouthfeel is fair, a good fullness and a nice carbonation. Kind of confused with this one?

3.43/5  rDev -4.2%

I picked this beer up in Nashville. Poured into my Einbecker Ur-Bock glass.

It pours a light gold, semi-transparent with no head; just a few bubbles going up the side of the glass.

Intense dark fruits in the aroma (wow I wasnt expecting that), with a nice malt presence as well.

Same as before with the dark fruit, which is truly unexpected for a fairly light colored beer. A very strong alcohol taste is fairly dominant in this beer. It had a nice aroma, but a muddled, boozy taste that didnt improve with warmth.

Creamy, syrupy, medium bodied with very little carbonation. A bit to syrupy to be pleasant.

Hard to put down with the alcohol presence and lack of carbonation.

4.05/5  rDev +13.1%

Bottle into tulip glass. A: Golden/yellow, very white puffy head that retains moderately well. Minimal lacing. Surprisingly light for an urbock. S: Lighter malts, alcohol present, some fruit, very faint hops. T: Sweet up front, honey, grains, citrus and floral notes, a pretty clean taste. I can taste the alcohol, but it's nothing overwhelming. M: Very smooth, chewy. D: The only other beer I've had from Eggenberg is the famed Samichlaus, and it's actually got a similar feel. I'm wondering if it has to do with the yeast strain. In any case, it's very enjoyable, and very drinkable for such a high abv.

4.28/5  rDev +19.6%

A very strange, surprising, and…um…dangerous beer. Tapped at Wonder’s Pub in Madison, WI last week and listed as “Ur Bock Belgian Ale.” I wasn’t sure what to think of it.

Ur Bock 23 pours a bright gold with a thick but short lived white froth. Certainly looks like a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Strong and sweet fruity aromas dominate but I can’t tell if they come from alcohol or just a rather interesting yeast. Bread and biscuits follow.

The flavor is huge and boozey but not as boozey a 9.6% would indicate. Barley sugars, sweet fruity alcohol, orange scones drizzled in honey, and just a touch of herbal hops.

Mouthfeel reminds me of Kasteel Bruine primarily because this beer captures the extreme level of sweetness I recently tasted in the Kasteel. Ur Bock on the otherhand is noticeable larger, though not a large in terms of body or booze feel/taste as one would expect from a 9.6% beer. Ur Bock is both huge and subdued and deceiving at the same time.

Drinkability… Well I had my first glass with a burger and left not knowing quite what beer I had consumed. I returned during a beer club meeting and confirmed that this was a beer from Eggenberg and not a Belgian as I had been lead to believe earlier. I should have know that any beer from Eggenberg would pack a major punch but I ignored this and went ahead drinking 4 chalices with ease. I really enjoyed this beer that seems to me to be yeast and alcohol focused in almost its entirety and would drink it again…although…the headache that arrived a few hours after drinking four wasn’t fun…

Stylistically, I just don’t see anything Doppelbockish about this but perhaps that is what makes it so unique.

2.42/5  rDev -32.4%

Never had an UrBock before, and if this is typical of the style I won't have many more.

The beer pours a nice golden color with a thin head that quickly dissipates.

The smell is...well let's just say I got too close and now I won't have to trim my nose hairs for my trip to Germany.

The taste is dominated by alcohol and really interfers with any malt flavor that might be standing at the back of the line.

Did I hate it? No, but I will be in Bamberg next week just in time for one of the breweries there to tap their famous Urbock. Check for that review to ascertain if this style is worth a try or not.

Prost!....Just about 24 hours or so until TTU94 causes another international incident.

3.83/5  rDev +7%

This bock has a golden color. There is a thin head which is typical for this style. The smell is malty, with a light caramel aroma. The taste is malty, probably from Munich malt. Then there is a caramel taste, slightly tanin with a lightly sweet finish that seems to linger. The body is about medium. Although this is drinkable, but at 9.6% ABV, I wouldn't order a second one if I were to drive after this.

1.7/5  rDev -52.5%

A: Honey-colored and pretty clear. NO HEAD! Bah!

S: Kinda skunky, really alcoholic, and cheap. Unpleasant, really.

T: First thing that hits is bitter and alcoholic tastes. Reminds me of cheap vodka. Has some hints of malt and hops, but not enough to really describe. Completely overpowering alcohol taste.

M: Pretty thick feel - coats the mouth like vodka does. A bit astringent as well.

D: I don't think I can even finish this bottle. This is getting poured down the drain.

1.63/5  rDev -54.5%

A-Pours a slightly dark golden with virtually zero head and obviously no lace. Very unimpressive.

S-Honey, alcohol and grassy hops in that order.

T-Sticky sweet with somewhat of a grassy aftertaste. The followthrough is alcohol vapour(is there corn in here?). I would say this tastes like a malt liquor more than any bock I have had. There is something of a generic spice here but I really am just looking for something nice to say. The one thing I can say is cloying and nasty.

M-syrupy with minimal carbonation.

T-This is worse than my first batch of home brew. Basically i would put this on par with a Olde English or Crazy horse. All I am getting here is alcohol. blech stay away.

3.18/5  rDev -11.2%

Small capped bottle.
It pours a golden brew, slightly darker than an average pilsner, with a small, quickly fading head.
Aroma, like the taste is heavily dominated by an excessive, at times overpowering alcohol presence. Little malts here and there, but the alcohol essentially dominates and obscures everything else.
I did not finish mine, just too much alcohol taste.

4.45/5  rDev +24.3%

Here in SC we are only just beginning to get the great beers. I have taken advantage of this opportunity to try some great Doppelbocks...Celebrator, Optimator, Korbinian, etc. Yet this one never really was called to my attention. It was a diamond in the rough.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A. Beautiful amber color with a head that just dissappeared without a trace.

S. Caramel, green apple with a wonderful alcohol fullness.

T. Starts out with a warm alcohol taste, but the overall taste is a beautiful malty goodness. This brew is dominated by a sweet toffee like maltiness.

M. Wonderful. The alcohol is well hidden.

D. I have often heard and said that the alcohol is well hidden and could sneak up on you. This brew is the epitome of this statement. It would be easy on a cold fall evening to imbibe in way too many of these.

If you like Doppelbocks, this is a must!! A great brew.

3.65/5  rDev +2%

This beer pours a clear gold, it looks more like a lite lager than a doppelbock. Little head to speak of except at the pour. Aroma is pears, caramel and caramelized malts, very sweet smelling, reminds me a little of whiskey. Taste is smooth, with a little sharpness at the end. Doesn't quite have the bite of its big brother Samichlaus. Very syrupy with honey and raisin like taste, but there's not much else there. A warming alcohol feeling at the back end as well, but not too strong. Not a bad beer per say, but not too complex either. Certainly doesn't fit the definition of doppelbock for me. A decent drink, but I'll stick with its darker and more filling cousins.

3.23/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a clear golden color with a few small bubbles and about a quarter inch head that fades quickly.

Smells like sweet alcohol with some caramel pear and toffee in there. The alcohol was slightly burning at first sniff. Reminds me of Samichlaus, but that brew doesn't have the biting alcohol scent even though it is about 5% higher.

Initial sip reminds me of Samichlaus and malt liquor. Sweet alcohol. Syrupy and malty with hints of pear and toffee as the beer warms. A dry and slightly bitter finish. Beer gets much better as it warms.

Full body, syrupy like Samichlaus.

This beer is like the younger unrefined brother to Samichlaus. Very similar tastes and mouthfeel. This beer would probably age well assuming the alcohol bite blends more with the brew.

It wasn't bad but for the price I would rather buy a Samichlaus or something else.

A: Golden-yellow, white head, very little retention or lace.

S: It's like candy: bubble gum, cotton candy, light caramel & toffee.

T: Tastes like candy too: light caramel, cotton candy fruity esters, toffee, modest bitterness, warming alcohol. The fruity-sweet flavours are a little surprising in a lager.

M: Moderate body is well-attenuated for its strength, slightly creamy, dry finish, light-to-moderate carbonation.

D: Dangerous for its strength.

Thanks Doug!

3.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a beautiful clear gold with a smallish white head. smell is not intense, not skunky but this beer has perhaps seen better days. Tastes are not intense, some malty sweetness and a little hop bitterness, some alcohol in the flavors but not too much. Not extremely assertive but very enjoyable. This beer might just as easily be called a maibock. This would session very well if it weren't for the 9.6% abv, otherwise it goes down quite easily.

4.38/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance - Clear crisp golden color. Not much of a head to speak of, but then again I'm used to that with Eggenberg products. Very fine carbonation feeds a thin head.

Smell - Malty aroma with a slight sweet presence. Very mild with a "lager-type" aroma after I few more wisps catch my nose. I do sense the "heritage" of this beer (i.e. I can't help but think of the Sami when I poured this). The sweetness did come back towards the end.

Taste - Sweet but not an over the top sweetness. Malty body with little to no hop presence. This is gonna catch up on me I can feel it.

Mouthfeel - Rolling it around does produce a bit more of a carbonation presence, however it does not take much away from the overall "goodness". There is a sweetness that (I'm hoping) will age well. I'll need to sample more doppels to compare, but this isn't the same presence that I recall from a celebrator, or even a Paulaner Salvator.

Drinkability - I really enjoyed this "little brother" of a Sami. This is well worth keeping a few in the closet to see how this one will age. I'm sure it will be great in a year or two.

3.3/5  rDev -7.8%

Light gold color with no head. Doesn't look too special. Aroma is OK, has that "European" smell. Light carbonation. Upon tasting you realize that this is not your typical European lager. Starts somewhat sweet, then some heat from the alcohol kicks in. From there, I get a long lasting flavor that eventually fades to a moderate bitterness on the back of my tongue. Very smooth. Yum! Well done stong pale doppelbock. I usually prefer dunkel bocks, but this beer is quite good.

4.33/5  rDev +20.9%

This is by far the most disproportionate rating I've done. Simply put, I thought this beer was the shiznits. Incredibly warming, luscious, smooth, vanilla and cinnamon characteristics. Super alcoholic kick on the nose. Not a very "heavy" beer for being a bock, but pretty chewy all together.

Maybe this was a golden unicorn batch from Eggenber, but my goodness was it good. I only wish I had one more.

3.28/5  rDev -8.4%

Urbock 23 is a very transparent light orange-gold, crowned with the faintest hint of white foam that hugs the rim and center of my goblet. Some bubbles cling to the side of the glass. Agitating it produces some short-lived foam, but it dissipates quickly.

I don’t get much in the nose, caramel, sweet malts, raisins, and some higher alcohols are present. Not very complex, at least, not yet...

A few sips and I’m thinking this is the baby brother to the massive Samichlaus, also made by Schloss Eggenberg. It’s got sufficient malt and alcohol, but lacks the syrupy sweetness and insane alcohol notes that Samichlaus is so well known for. Urbock is slightly watery, and has a pronounced medicinal alcohol finish. Some grain notes come through and the finish is dry and slightly metallic. Not a whole heck of a lot here, really…

Mouthfeel is finely carbonated and slightly slick. For some reason I get the impression that there is a lot of sugar still lurking in this beer, even though it’s not super-sweet like it’s older, badder brother Sami.

Finally, if this is a dopplebock, I don’t know what one is. The color is far too light, and the flavor lacks any hint of roasted grains… if I had to guess I’d say this was an eisbock or a weird alcoholic German lager… but not a dopplebock. I'm not sorry I tried it, but this isn't something I'm crazy for.

3.15/5  rDev -12%

First of all, this cannot be a doppelbock. From the appearance to the smell to the taste, it screams only Eisbock. While not a good example of either, it is certainly far more eisbock than doppel.

A- Crystal clear light gold with a tight white head that dissipates to a ring in seconds.

S- Sweet malt, caramel, a slight nutty character, alcohol, cane sugar, no hops at all.

T- Malty front with a yeasty, bready center, and an almost fruity finish. Sweet and honey-like, fills your mind with dripping corn syrup and honeycomb. The finish is not overpowering, though... the beer gets lighter as it goes down.

M- Slightly thin for an eisbock(once again, nowhere near a doppel), But with some buttery smooth tinges, and low carbonation.

D- Not as bad as the eku 28... still, I'd like to see you sit down and chug a couple without throwing up from sheer exhaustion.

3.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Clear copper/gold color with a fast retreating white head.

Aroma had a general highland single malt Scotch quality to it, some caramel, some peppery, spicy, and fruity notes.

Dominating the flavor profile is the somewhat unnatural (but not bad) caramel that seemed to come from too long or too hot of a boil, the alcohol is at first overpowered by the malt, but then it warms up at the finish, there is a honey/straw quality and some real fruitiness, orange zest and baked apples or something along those lines buried beneath the sweetness.

Overall: A medium bodied beer, on the verge of cloying but not quite, rather enjoyable, but there are better things cheaper out there. I generally prefer a darker Doppelbock. Not very complex, but not totally one dimensional. The sweetness is hidng a couple good flavors.

4.22/5  rDev +17.9%

A- Deep gold with only the slightest semblance of a head; it's really more of a perpetual ring of lace than a head. Beautiful color, though.

S- Smells... well, like a strong doppelbock. Lots of bready malt and even a few fruity notes, but lacking the esters of a barleywine (as would be expected). Alcohol is quite prominent as well.

T- Quite sweet to the taste. The malts take on more of a honey character than the bready aroma would suggest. The alcohol and hops combine to give the beer a nice spicy finish, along with a slight bitterness. Delicious!

M- Not a whole lot of carbonation and a little thinner than I was expecting. It's nice and smooth, though, and even a little creamy.

D- Obviously a sipping beer, but definitely drinkable for one with an ABV of nearly 10%.

Very nice beer here! It's certainly not your traditional doppelbock; it's more like a combination of a bock and a barleywine. It's very good, though. Recommended.

Urbock 23° from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg