Urbock 23° - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

good

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-05-2001)

MDM, Dec 21, 2013
3.79/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A "pale doppelbock" described as the cognac of the beer world on the label. It is indeed pale, a bright sparkly lemon drop yellow with around three inches of white foam. Aroma is intensely sweet and bready, with ample lager yeast character and green grape must. Palate does indeed evoke cognac a little but is of course much sweeter. Tastes of golden cake with icing, apples, a poppy seed nuttiness, and dried plums, esters and phenols abound with a pervasive mustiness that recalls white wine. Hops provide some additional fruit notes like gooseberry and some bitterness to the finish, which is more crisp, dry, and spicy than the initial sweetness would suggest. Boozy like many Belgian tripels and some of the other flavors go down this path as well, although this lager beer is much sweeter than the more attenuated Belgian ale. I like darker flavors in this style but this is worth sampling.

CalgaryFMC, Dec 21, 2013

BILF, Dec 19, 2013
3.96/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours light amber with a skim head that surprisingly stays in some form.

Aromas of sweet malt, vanilla, wood, sugared cherry, honey.

Rich malt and vanilla wood. Fruit, booze, which dissipates to mild bitterness intermingled with the sweetness of the malt. Some honey at the back end, with a little alcohol burn.

A little lighter in body than expected. Medium to medium full.

Very good. Drinkable, not a kick in the teeth in any area. I like the balance in this one.

OtherShoe2, Dec 14, 2013

BillRoth, Dec 07, 2013

GreatBloomer, Nov 28, 2013

Ciocanelu, Nov 25, 2013

pipinmalikonj, Nov 20, 2013

dcmchew, Nov 10, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

Bendulum, Nov 10, 2013

A nice gold color. Not much head, but there was some active carbonation. A nice fruit like smell, citrus fruit with a hint of sweetness. I can't really describe the taste other than I liked it. The beer had a thick texture like cream. I felt a little alcohol warmth.

deg, Nov 06, 2013

Exeter, Sep 24, 2013

ronin926, Sep 05, 2013
3.79/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From notes, had this at the brewery tour out of their long stemmed snifter

L golden red, no foam

A banana, alcohol, honey, fruity

T sweet, some bitterness, alcoholic

F fine carbonation, medium heavy body, oily

O nice beer for food pairing, definitely a slow sipper

safaricook, Sep 04, 2013
3.58/5  rDev 0%

11,2 Fl. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It pours a clear golden color with three fingers of off-white head.

S - It smells like a malt bomb. I get some huge malty sweetness.

T - It is not the sweet mess that I expected. Don't get me wrong, this is all malt, but it is not super sweet as the smell indicates.

M - Medium and smooth.

O - If you do not like hops, you will probably like this beer. Hell, it's almost like an English barleywine.

buschbeer, Sep 01, 2013

Vsarmatov, Sep 01, 2013

jonmikel, Aug 19, 2013

Hopheadjeffery, Aug 04, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is our last beer from the Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg. Or Castle Brewing Eggenberg. Either way, this is our last beer from them. I was looking at pictures from the brewery, and this place looks awesome. I have never been to Austria. Guess I need to plan a trip!

I like reading words like, "syrupy" and, "sweet". I also like where the number 23 comes from. The more sugar the better. I am curious if the ABV is hidden. Never had this; stoked. Cheers!

In the Glass: This isn't as dark as I expected it to be. I assume most doppelbocks to be dark. The most recent doppelbock I tried was from Alaskan Brewing Company. That was a sweet malt bomb that I tried both on tap and in the bottle. Actually shared two pints of it with Chuck Noll at Whole Foods here in Scottsdale. Anyway, this is not as dark as I wanted it to be. Not much head, but what head is there is white. No lace, either. I hope this smells awesome.

Nose: Not much aroma here… but what I am smelling is sweet. Basically sugar water. I will say I just drank a double IPA from Captain Lawrence Brewing Company, so my palate is a bit off right now. But the hops were subtle and somewhat fruity. I smelled again, and just getting a boatload of sweet sugary goodness. I hope this tastes as good as it smells. Well… better.

Flavor: Oh. My. God. That is AMAZING!!! The mouthfeel is amazing, but we will get to that. The flavor is incredible, complex, and well… sweet. The finish sucks, but the there is a lot of sugary sweetness on the palate. My entire palate is just covered in sweetness. The burp is even sweet. (Does it gross you out when I talk about my burps?)

On my second sip, I swished it around in my mouth a little. There isn't a ton of carbonation at first, but when you move it around, the bubbles explode across your tongue. Doing that, however, it really opens up and almost has a brown sugar flavor to it. I bet this will heat up nice.

Mouthfeel: It starts out thin, but then, as it gets to the back of my palate and the sugary sweetness begins to open up, the beer starts to carbonate as you swallow. The finish, like I said, sucks… but the sweetness overrides that. It has a weird metallic finish that lingers as I swallow.

Aftertaste: I guess the lingering finish is more a part of the aftertaste than the mouthfeel. After a few sips, the metallic flavor goes away, but it still has a weird flavor when I swallow. I guess that's OK until my last drink. I will just keep chugging this until it's gone.

I REALLY like Samichlaus, their Christmas beer. Of course, it is always available at our local Total Wine & More. I'm sad this brewery is done. I bet they make a few more huh ABV beers that are just loaded with sweetness. This bottle is well done. If you like beer that are sweet and hide the booze, grab a bottle. Not sure it's worth $5.99… but man, this is tasty. Cheers!

rickyleepotts, Jul 10, 2013