Urbock 23° - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

good

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-05-2001)
Exeter

Alberta (Canada)

09-24-2013 00:44:50 | More by Exeter
ronin926

09-05-2013 16:25:05 | More by ronin926
safaricook

Netherlands

3.79/5  rDev +5.6%

From notes, had this at the brewery tour out of their long stemmed snifter

L golden red, no foam

A banana, alcohol, honey, fruity

T sweet, some bitterness, alcoholic

F fine carbonation, medium heavy body, oily

O nice beer for food pairing, definitely a slow sipper

09-04-2013 19:32:24 | More by safaricook
buschbeer

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

11,2 Fl. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It pours a clear golden color with three fingers of off-white head.

S - It smells like a malt bomb. I get some huge malty sweetness.

T - It is not the sweet mess that I expected. Don't get me wrong, this is all malt, but it is not super sweet as the smell indicates.

M - Medium and smooth.

O - If you do not like hops, you will probably like this beer. Hell, it's almost like an English barleywine.

09-01-2013 20:24:43 | More by buschbeer

08-04-2013 00:14:21 | More by Hopheadjeffery
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

This is our last beer from the Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg. Or Castle Brewing Eggenberg. Either way, this is our last beer from them. I was looking at pictures from the brewery, and this place looks awesome. I have never been to Austria. Guess I need to plan a trip!

I like reading words like, "syrupy" and, "sweet". I also like where the number 23 comes from. The more sugar the better. I am curious if the ABV is hidden. Never had this; stoked. Cheers!

In the Glass: This isn't as dark as I expected it to be. I assume most doppelbocks to be dark. The most recent doppelbock I tried was from Alaskan Brewing Company. That was a sweet malt bomb that I tried both on tap and in the bottle. Actually shared two pints of it with Chuck Noll at Whole Foods here in Scottsdale. Anyway, this is not as dark as I wanted it to be. Not much head, but what head is there is white. No lace, either. I hope this smells awesome.

Nose: Not much aroma here… but what I am smelling is sweet. Basically sugar water. I will say I just drank a double IPA from Captain Lawrence Brewing Company, so my palate is a bit off right now. But the hops were subtle and somewhat fruity. I smelled again, and just getting a boatload of sweet sugary goodness. I hope this tastes as good as it smells. Well… better.

Flavor: Oh. My. God. That is AMAZING!!! The mouthfeel is amazing, but we will get to that. The flavor is incredible, complex, and well… sweet. The finish sucks, but the there is a lot of sugary sweetness on the palate. My entire palate is just covered in sweetness. The burp is even sweet. (Does it gross you out when I talk about my burps?)

On my second sip, I swished it around in my mouth a little. There isn't a ton of carbonation at first, but when you move it around, the bubbles explode across your tongue. Doing that, however, it really opens up and almost has a brown sugar flavor to it. I bet this will heat up nice.

Mouthfeel: It starts out thin, but then, as it gets to the back of my palate and the sugary sweetness begins to open up, the beer starts to carbonate as you swallow. The finish, like I said, sucks… but the sweetness overrides that. It has a weird metallic finish that lingers as I swallow.

Aftertaste: I guess the lingering finish is more a part of the aftertaste than the mouthfeel. After a few sips, the metallic flavor goes away, but it still has a weird flavor when I swallow. I guess that's OK until my last drink. I will just keep chugging this until it's gone.

I REALLY like Samichlaus, their Christmas beer. Of course, it is always available at our local Total Wine & More. I'm sad this brewery is done. I bet they make a few more huh ABV beers that are just loaded with sweetness. This bottle is well done. If you like beer that are sweet and hide the booze, grab a bottle. Not sure it's worth $5.99… but man, this is tasty. Cheers!

07-10-2013 05:14:35 | More by rickyleepotts
mrfrancis

07-06-2013 22:16:22 | More by mrfrancis
avisong

07-05-2013 01:52:54 | More by avisong
TwelveOunces

3.81/5  rDev +6.1%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A- Pours a very light golden straw color. Very clear surprisingly. A half finger of a white head with little retention.

S- Wheat, dark fruit. A bit of hay and onion. And a clean, sweet maltiness.

T- A slight dark fruit at first. There is a bit of plum and fig to be had. An oily hop presence, a greasy feel and an oniony, herbal flavor. A touch of wheat in this beer and a hint of lemongrass as well. A sweeter beer and the sugary malt extenuates the overly ripened dark fruit and oily hop.

M- A ton of feel to this beer and a smooth experience. Low carbonation in this beer. An oily hop aftertaste and feel. A sweet beer and may be cloying to some.

O- Pretty good stuff, an interesting take on Doppelbocks.

07-04-2013 23:08:49 | More by TwelveOunces
pkalix

3.95/5  rDev +10%

pale for sure!!!! poured a . . . . just PALE color . . . . . no topping.
sweet, toasty, malt-y and yummy smell. can this be the same company who does SAMICHLAUS??? I love double bocks...
okay, TOO sweet. kind of nasty. wait. let my taste buds adjust after that triple/IPA 12% I just had. still smells yummy. but the taste is . . . . getting better... I can do this; it's just a shifting of gears from what I just finished. 9.6%, okay . . . . I do love the dopplebocks; they are my favorite. but then hefe used to be my favorite and now i'm just plain tired of the richness. but then (again) I used to like Asian chicks tooo . . . . and . . . . oh well.
okay! palate cleansed with the double bock. still a great smell similar to the other dopples I love, but still a funky, sweet taste that is a little over-powering...
so, in summary, bland, regular appearance. AWESOME smell. AWESOME smell. (again). taste is just... meh.... I can tolerate it for a one time thing-y, ya know. but kind of sweet.
overall, eh... nice abv. i'm buzzed after this and the 12% bomber.... taste is just okay; overall is just okay. note (again) the high marks for SMELL . . . . but this is not what I consider in the same class as a spaten optimator or celebrator or most of the other doppels...

07-04-2013 01:45:39 | More by pkalix
WOLFGANG

South Carolina

07-03-2013 23:27:15 | More by WOLFGANG
enelson

06-23-2013 14:54:20 | More by enelson
IchLiebeBier

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance: Golden; effervescent; small head

Aroma: Malty; syrupy; touch of citrus

Taste: Malty; sweet; syrupy; almost chewy; not complex, just thick and strong; ok, but not that impressive

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 23:09:17 | More by IchLiebeBier
carlosega

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

05-31-2013 19:00:29 | More by carlosega
ckollias

Maryland

4.24/5  rDev +18.1%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Beligan Tulip glass.

A: Pours a golden hue with a thin white head that slowly dissipates leaving a partial trail down the side of the glass and a wispy lace.

S: Sweet and slightly fruity aroma with a caramel background. Interesting complex aroma.

T: Smooth orange and fruity flavor with a caramel background. Finishes smooth and slightly dry.

M: Thick body and medium carbonation.

O: This beer has a ton of complex flavor and aroma and enough alcohol to make it interesting.

05-29-2013 02:23:28 | More by ckollias