Urbock 23° - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

good

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-05-2001)
View: Beers (18) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
pbrian

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Clear golden body with a rather light, quickly fading head. Sweet, honey-ish malty aroma, with a mild kick of alcohol. lavor starts out with sweet, biscuity malts. A nice balancing of hops becomes present. Finishs a little sherry-like, with a nice warming sensation. Body was, as expected for its heft, rich. I enjoyed this beer for being sweet without being cloying, which is what I was (wrongly) expecting. Nice beer.

03-24-2004 15:17:12 | More by pbrian
SuperSpy

Georgia

2.3/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours a beautiful golden color with a pure white head that died immediately.

Some alcohol and light fruits in the aroma.

The taste is just pure alcohol and sugar. I honestly can't find anything special about the flavor. Hopefully it's just this bottle and the next will be better.

Unless the second bottle is better I won't be buying this beer again.

10-04-2006 04:29:15 | More by SuperSpy
DerBayer

Germany

4.47/5  rDev +24.5%

A - A beautiful amber, decent head but nothing spectacular

S - Fruit, citrus aromas, some alcohol (remember its 9%+) and malt and hops

T - tastes the way it smells very nice and complex beer

M - Medium carbonation, medium try on the tongue and quite creamy and smooth for the style

D - Could be very high but you feel and taste the alcohol after a while also it s a bit acidic after a while in other words could be a 5 but is more like a 4 - goes down well

07-11-2009 15:55:00 | More by DerBayer

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

02-21-2014 02:07:12 | More by Shatter
Darkale

4.13/5  rDev +15%

Wonderful sweet malty aroma. Compact, glossy white head. Clear dark gold body. Smells of raisins and plums, with a hint of spice and a hint of wood.

Chewy, just slightly medicinal, very slick and creamy. At the end, some dry, raspy sourness.

A delightfully creamy and sweet beer. Reminds me of a Sauternes wine, or perhaps a Tokay. Marvelous.

06-11-2003 14:13:55 | More by Darkale
soper2000

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

The one thing I love about being back in the US is the massive variety of beer that is available to us. Sometimes I think that we forget about that. I picked up this nice looking bottle about 2 miles away from my apartment. I've never had anything from Castle Eggenberg before, but something was telling me to grab this instead of the Samilchlaus sitting right alongside of it. It pours a nice golden color with a head that sticks around for about 10 seconds before retreating to the walls of the glass. Not too impressive. Smell consists of very sweet malts and faint faint notes of alcohol. Taste is a malt lovers paradise. Very sweet toffee-ish malts lead into traces of alcohol on the tongue. It definately warms as it is going down. A dry alcohol taste remains on the tongue for several minutes after swallowing. This would be a perfect beer for crisp October nights and I think I will be saving my next bottle for exactly one of those evenings.

09-11-2004 23:05:36 | More by soper2000
phishgator

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a snifter w/ little to no head. It looks like a high gravity beer as it leaves an alcohol trail around the glass as it is swirled. The aroma is hot w/ alcohol fumes, there is whiff of figs and leather. The taste is HOT alcohol that warms as it goes down. The sweet malt is the showcase, very full bodied. The heat and the sweet coating of sugars are a little much. This is a brew to be enjoyed once in a while, but not everyday.

06-26-2006 20:21:41 | More by phishgator
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

1.9/5  rDev -47.1%

I think that the style is wrong for this beer. Urbock is very different from every doppelbock I have ever had. Clear orange gold color with a frothy head that subsided quickly atop a beer with very little carbonation. The flavors of this beer were primarily in the domain of hops and not malt as the flavor began with a sharp German hop bitterness followed by a sweet light malt and high alcohol followed by a lingering hop bitterness. I do not believe Munich malt came anywhere near this doppelbock as the malt flavors are smooth and the color is so light . A pretty good beer with no faults but it is a very poor example of a doppelbock.

08-05-2004 03:18:31 | More by RenoZymurgist
TheMistler

District of Columbia

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Orange / gold in color, clear to maybe slightly hazy. Continuous and effervescent carbonation props up a long lasting, thick film of head in the middle, with a decent ring and good lacing.

A sweet malt nose. Apples and light fruits, crystallized sugar, and some caramel to boot. Maybe some breadiness and very slight alcohol warming. Just... really sweet.

Pear and apple to the taste, which is again sweet. Every note is caramelized. There is some alcohol spice, but not much in the way of warming, probably because it is basically chilled syrup.

Tasty if sipped very slowly, the sweetness can get cloying fast. Not drinkable.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

11-21-2008 04:27:23 | More by TheMistler
GreatBloomer

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

11-28-2013 03:16:14 | More by GreatBloomer
EatsTacos

Yukon (Canada)

2.95/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a clear golden amber with basically no head at all. Looks like watery apple juice

Aroma: A little sour and fruity; apples, pears, alcohol isn't hidden

Taste: Begins with a mix of sweet and sour fruit flavours. Apple skins, sugary pears come to mind. Finishes sour with a lingering bitterness. Not overly dry and doesn't make any atempt to hide the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with an extremely low carbonation.

04-19-2009 02:13:01 | More by EatsTacos
sstackho

Ontario (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -26.7%

330mL bottle purchased from LCBO in Toronto. Pours a poor fizzy pale gold. Little head and no lacing. Decent malty aroma. First taste is sweet. Very sweet. The taste remains syrupy throughout. The malts don't balance out the sweetness and the hops are not noticeable. Not an enjoyable beer.

05-03-2008 02:40:20 | More by sstackho
BILF

Israel

12-19-2013 18:35:30 | More by BILF
UncleFlip

Alabama

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%

This one hit my nostrils first with a pungent aroma of alcohol and citrus..

The flavour carried nicely out from it- tangy and sweet with a little citrus and spice.

A little thick, with tight carbonation up front.

THis one tends to draw you in a bit...sort of like a 'comfort beer'...

02-12-2006 04:32:57 | More by UncleFlip
elmocoso

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Nice deep gold with a two finger head that quickly falls, leaving a lacy surface foam. Falls from the high alcohol, i presume. Malty sweet in the nose. High alcohol - like a barley whine w/o hops. Taste is very sweet. It is strong but lacks the balance of bitterness. cloying at times. Seems smooth and might be a good after dinner drink.

07-07-2004 06:18:21 | More by elmocoso
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is our last beer from the Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg. Or Castle Brewing Eggenberg. Either way, this is our last beer from them. I was looking at pictures from the brewery, and this place looks awesome. I have never been to Austria. Guess I need to plan a trip!

I like reading words like, "syrupy" and, "sweet". I also like where the number 23 comes from. The more sugar the better. I am curious if the ABV is hidden. Never had this; stoked. Cheers!

In the Glass: This isn't as dark as I expected it to be. I assume most doppelbocks to be dark. The most recent doppelbock I tried was from Alaskan Brewing Company. That was a sweet malt bomb that I tried both on tap and in the bottle. Actually shared two pints of it with Chuck Noll at Whole Foods here in Scottsdale. Anyway, this is not as dark as I wanted it to be. Not much head, but what head is there is white. No lace, either. I hope this smells awesome.

Nose: Not much aroma here… but what I am smelling is sweet. Basically sugar water. I will say I just drank a double IPA from Captain Lawrence Brewing Company, so my palate is a bit off right now. But the hops were subtle and somewhat fruity. I smelled again, and just getting a boatload of sweet sugary goodness. I hope this tastes as good as it smells. Well… better.

Flavor: Oh. My. God. That is AMAZING!!! The mouthfeel is amazing, but we will get to that. The flavor is incredible, complex, and well… sweet. The finish sucks, but the there is a lot of sugary sweetness on the palate. My entire palate is just covered in sweetness. The burp is even sweet. (Does it gross you out when I talk about my burps?)

On my second sip, I swished it around in my mouth a little. There isn't a ton of carbonation at first, but when you move it around, the bubbles explode across your tongue. Doing that, however, it really opens up and almost has a brown sugar flavor to it. I bet this will heat up nice.

Mouthfeel: It starts out thin, but then, as it gets to the back of my palate and the sugary sweetness begins to open up, the beer starts to carbonate as you swallow. The finish, like I said, sucks… but the sweetness overrides that. It has a weird metallic finish that lingers as I swallow.

Aftertaste: I guess the lingering finish is more a part of the aftertaste than the mouthfeel. After a few sips, the metallic flavor goes away, but it still has a weird flavor when I swallow. I guess that's OK until my last drink. I will just keep chugging this until it's gone.

I REALLY like Samichlaus, their Christmas beer. Of course, it is always available at our local Total Wine & More. I'm sad this brewery is done. I bet they make a few more huh ABV beers that are just loaded with sweetness. This bottle is well done. If you like beer that are sweet and hide the booze, grab a bottle. Not sure it's worth $5.99… but man, this is tasty. Cheers!

07-10-2013 05:14:35 | More by rickyleepotts

11-20-2013 22:59:14 | More by pipinmalikonj
GuinnessSmurf

Missouri

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

Oh yeh! This is one of those beers that makes you wish you had bought more than one of them when you were at the store. Recommended to me from a friend of a friend (thanks Aaron) and he was very right about this beer's quality.

It pours a golden/whiskey color...very clear. There is almost no sign of head or carbonation.

The smell has notes of apple, whiskey, and barley. It is a very clean smell and doesn't stick in the nose.

The flavor is very full - wonderful! It has mostly the taste of a fine alcohol. All the while I was sipping at it, I felt like I was drinking a fine, aged alcohol. There is still a sweet element in the taste that I couldn't identify, but was particularly noticable in the opening of the taste and after the "global warming" of the alcohol in the aftertaste.

The body is perfect. Its smooth and buttery. It really fills up the tongue. It goes down very easy.

06-19-2004 15:18:15 | More by GuinnessSmurf
IPAcraig

Tennessee

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

I picked this beer up in Nashville. Poured into my Einbecker Ur-Bock glass.

It pours a light gold, semi-transparent with no head; just a few bubbles going up the side of the glass.

Intense dark fruits in the aroma (wow I wasnt expecting that), with a nice malt presence as well.

Same as before with the dark fruit, which is truly unexpected for a fairly light colored beer. A very strong alcohol taste is fairly dominant in this beer. It had a nice aroma, but a muddled, boozy taste that didnt improve with warmth.

Creamy, syrupy, medium bodied with very little carbonation. A bit to syrupy to be pleasant.

Hard to put down with the alcohol presence and lack of carbonation.

10-07-2007 23:42:30 | More by IPAcraig
Ralphus

Ontario (Canada)

2.33/5  rDev -35.1%

Any time the label on a beer reads "..this beer is known as the Congac of beers" or "Champagne" or any other drink that's NOT beer - you know you're going to get something fairly poor. And surprise surprise..

Urbock 23 pours a little bit like fizzy pee. There's no head, lacing or any other staying of carbonation at the top of the beer, coupled with the colour of apple juice makes it receive a poor grade. Anyone giving it a good rating is probably drunk.

In the smell we have some white wine. That's about it.

The taste is big sweetness and malt up front which then transitions to a long drawn out finish comprised of alcohol. There's nothing interesting here at all. No balance and certainly not any complexity.

It's not often I consider a drain pour but this one qualifies.

04-20-2009 02:10:03 | More by Ralphus
kvnstfrd

Missouri

4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

05-23-2013 03:05:18 | More by kvnstfrd
cabsandking

2.4/5  rDev -33.1%

Clear golden color with a slim fizzy white head that dissipates almost as soon as it was formed. Sweet white grape juice, apple juice, and slightly grainy nose. Hot alcohol is not hiding here and lends to a hard metallic flavor. Dry grains, peppery spice, and a slight mint character seems out place for a Doppel. Medicinal to vinous at times. The mouthfeel is fair, a good fullness and a nice carbonation. Kind of confused with this one?

10-29-2007 16:10:52 | More by cabsandking