Doppelbock Dunkel - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

good

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: tavernjef on 02-18-2007)

Martyrob, Nov 20, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Sebas, Nov 15, 2014

arabianknights1, Nov 15, 2014

StaveHooks, Nov 13, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

I really enjoy the look of Schloss Eggenberg both in and out of the bottle. It looks like a beer you would drink while listening to black metal which is my favourite style of music. The drink itself is pretty dark, not nearly the darkest I've had, with a slight reddish tone by the light but the colour definitely holds true to the name Dunkel. However, there is next to nothing carbonation wise and the head, at least when I poured it, is non existent. This is disappointing to me because I really enjoy a nice thick head on my beers. Also disappointing, to me at least, is the fact that this came with a plain, black cap (for the collectors out there).

What really confused me about the lack of head on this beer is that the smell is super malty. With aromatics of spices (cardamon or all spice?), caramel, and tonnes of coffee, this doppelbock really had me excited to taste it.

The taste is quite nice. I liked it from the first sip. With a blunt punch of coffee and a subtle pinch of caramel, the initial sip was nice. Soothing. Slight hints of dark cherry, some sort of fruit I can`t put a finger on, and toffee, giving the the lips slight stickiness as if drink hot chocolate or a very sugary coffee. I may be tasting some chocolate?

It is a very soothing beer, giving the drinker a warming sensation from tongue to stomach even when served at a cold temperatures. For an 8.5% alcohol beer, one would expect a large burn from the alcohol itself, but there is almost no burn to speak of. Only a spark, not a fire. I live in mid-north Canada and this beer would be perfect on a cold, dark winter night before a crackling fireplace.

Overall, though my experience with bocks are minimal and not exactly my preference, I would say this is a solid beer with very few flaws, and though I doubt I would ever go out of my way to buy Eggenberg again, if it is ever in my path, I will not hesitate to buy it.Granting I have enough money since it is quite expensive in my area. For fans of bocks, I recommend trying it at least once. Not a fan of that certain spice in this.

Cheers!

Latarnik, May 25, 2014

tedho21, Mar 22, 2014

RockinRob925, Mar 19, 2014
3.66/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a pilsener glass. A dark reddish brown beer with a shapely off-white head, with an aroma of light toffee, dried dark fruit, sweet wet grains, and some mellow spice notes. The overall aroma is homogenized, with the elements merging together. This smells like the Platonic ideal of a bock beer: A classic brown lager. The palate is similarly well-integrated, with no sharp corners or overtly bold flavors ... No one component tries to trump any other but there's complexity nonetheless. Quite crisp and dry for a doppelbock, with moderate carbonation and body on the thin side. Tastes like brown bread, nutty yeast, molasses, light rum, earthy ginseng spice, and sweet dough, with assertive hopping for the style. Finishes quite crisp and clean with some lingering noble hop spice and grass notes. Certainly well-crafted, although perhaps I was expecting more body and a richer, more sweet flavor profile.

CalgaryFMC, Mar 02, 2014