Samichlaus Classic Bier - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,822 | Reviews: 1,054
3.38/5  rDev -15.5%

Sweet, surprisingly juicy, viscous and thick, but not at all chewy or dense. Syrupy, describes it well. Profile almost like plum wine or plum brandy, a little boozy, but not overpowering in the front or the middle. Lots of fruitiness and low carbonation could trick you at times to imagining your sipping a spirit or a cocktail perhaps. Brandy, brandywine, and rum come to mind for me.

Warming, complex, and a long finish where the alcohol flavor can start to build, depending on the state of your pallate at the time, especially as it warms. That's something I personally find undesirable, as my tolerance for alcoholic flavors is low and I dislike spirits and liquors for that reason.

Not my kind of thing, but I can certainly appreciate why it's so highly lauded.

This is my all time, absolute favorite beer. Thank God the state liquor store has it each year, and thank God the Mormons don't drink. One of the positives (little known) about life in Utah!

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Worth the wait and deserving of the hype. A nice warming sipper with obvious alcohol warmth. The color of a nice Scotch wth almost no head. Drinking this out of season, but still wonderful....

4.14/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very rich and sweet, like a port wine. Wine grapes, sweet liqueur, warm alcohol finish with dark dried fruit. Full body and slick feel with a clean and tannic finish. Smell is of wine grapes and dark fruit again. Very interesting beer. Highly enjoyable and would be a fantastic aperitif or dessert drink.

3.14/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

First, I admit this is not a type of beer I would normally appreciate. However, I found it weirdly intriguing. Far too sweet for my palate and the alcohol was very persistent. Almost anesthetic as it lingers in your mouth. Very low carbonation, almost flat. Burnt sugar, citrus rind, and prunes were prominent. Sufficient complexity to keep you thinking however a harsh lingering finish soon distracts you from those thoughts.

I would probably not visit this again, but I am glad to have been there once.

3.84/5  rDev -4%

This was a recent quest / "todo" list item, so most pleased to have found and tasted, particularly in May of the year. The world's most extraordinary beer as claimed by Eggenberg??? Perhaps, but would qualify "extra ordinary" as meaning unlike anything you've likely ever tasted that's classified as beer.

The preliminaries:

-Look: Somewhere between an amber and mahogany color; fairly clear, with some bubbles visible. No head or lacing.
-Smell: Sweet Dried fruits; (figs, prunes, raisins, cherries), alcohol
-Feel:: Syrup, warmth, some light carbonation, smooth, thick
-Taste: Wine! As in porto; Intense dark/dried fruity sweetness. Hides the 14% ABV well.

Was really shocked by this one; Doppelbock?? By definition and chemistry perhaps, but in terms of taste?? Absolutely port wine for me! (Beyond S-W-E-E-T!)

Would I go here again? Yes, but will probably relegate to its intended time of year-- Christmas--and will treat / pair as wine or the like, but not doppelbock.

Smells delicious, tastes delicious, one of the best beer I have ever had. Sweet/malt aroma. Flavor is malt dominate with fruit and sweet barley some earthy hops in the background. 14% abv is not apparent at all.

3.7/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

Pours out red. Not much head to it. Wow it has a sweet taste. Very slick kind of texture on the tounge. This is different. Is good. Think I could only drink one bottle.

4.69/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Pours a very clear mahogany body with a cream-hued head. It smells like a freshly opened bag of bread with a good dose of raisin and a twang of spice. There is surprisingly little alcohol detectable in the aroma. The flavor is dominated by intensely sweet and flavorful malt, like a mouthful of liquid brown sugar and toffee. Rye bread also comes to mind. There is a little prune-like fruitiness along with a touch of fennel seed-like spiciness. The alcohol is rather strong; it becomes vaporous and fills the mouth upon swallowing and quickly fades. The body is on the full side, and there is only a little carbonation. Very smooth, like thin syrup, and almost sickly sweet.

Overall lovely in color and astoundingly sweet and rich in flavor. On a personal note, I don’t normally care for high alcohol content in beer, but the alcohol doesn’t linger and interfere with the other aspects. And with such intense flavors and high alcohol content, it’s great for sipping at a leisurely pace.

4.48/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- dark copper color, pours with very little head, just a fizz that fizzes out with little carbonation
s- raisin and alcohol
t- cherry brandy, dark malts, caramel
f-warm, sweet and coats like a liqueur

3.55/5  rDev -11.3%

This is a bizarre beer. At first, I thought I was going to hate it but now, I'm not really sure what to think. Pours a tantilizing deep reddish brown, very transparent, little to no head and only minimal effervescing. Smell is mostly dark fruit, apple, raisin, plum, merlot. Taste is very heavy rasin, caramel, merichino cherries, fig, molasses. Very, very sweet. Feel is syrupy, heavy with zero carbonation. Coats every part of your insides. Little bit of a boozey burn going down feels nice.

Well, overall for me, I am glad I tried this. It is a unique experience, but the ridiculous sweetness will probably keep me from coming back frequently. Certainly something I want to explore again!

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

330ml bottle poured into a footed tulip

I've been wanting to try this one for quite a while, but always balked at the $25 price tag on the 4-pack. So you can imagine my delight when there were a couple singles in the $12.99 mixed-sixer section.

Looks unlike any beer I've ever had. Pours a glowing blend of mahogany and garnet with 1 finger of fizzy head that quickly disappears. Murky, but not quite opaque when held to the light. Looks viscous and oily in my glass. Aroma is a robust blend of dark fruits with banana peel and sweet alcohol.

Taste is equally robust. It's a smorgasbord of fruit--fig, raisin, dark plums, red grapes, banana, and black cherry are most prevalent. A touch of bready caramel malt comes through as well. Virtually no hop character except for some earthy undertones in the clean, dry finish. Body is heavy but smooth, and coats the palate well. There's clearly some alcohol heat, but I suppose it's relatively smooth for 14%. There is also a slightly syrupy, cough medicine-like, cherry sweetness coming through as it warms. I don't find it to be overpowering at all, and I actually kind of like it.

Overall, I would definitely drink this again. It's a real nice strong sipper with some table wine and brandy-like qualities. Not so sure about the doppelbock classification, but frankly I don't care what it's called. It's good. For what it's worth, it paired surprisingly well with a bacon and red onion pizza. I don't think I'd ever pony up for it at full price, but I will keep an eye out for reasonable deals on this one.

2.3/5  rDev -42.5%

Bottled in 2013

Whiskey taste mixed with kind of liqorish chocolate, too sweet for my taste, its absolutely not what i am loking for in a beer. Wont try it ever again

4.29/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had many many of these over the years, its a great beer. Not as strong as it says on teh label.

place holder review. I will get a few more and review it....

Very strange,not sure what will appeal to all, but definitely worth a try

4.08/5  rDev +2%

Bottled in 2010. Hides the alcohol very well. Sweet. Smells like the style. Dopplebock? Good beer.

2.11/5  rDev -47.3%

Fruity and winey. There's a bit of a cough syrup thing happening here? Sadly I'm not so sure I'm into this one. Maybe I'm not being fair? I don't have a lot of experience with doppelbocks. But I know what I like and I feel like this was wasted on me.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had a couple of bottles years back from a now defunct local gourmet grocery. Absolutely amazing! Smooth and sweet smell and taste, very fruity with too many flavors to remember, just like a good port wine or brandy. A beer liqueur you need to sip slowly with rich dark chocolates on a plate. I don't usually like sweet brews but once a year this is a treat.

4.85/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From taste notes. Appearance: Pours brilliant dark amber to chestnut with a thin film of white fizzley foam for a head. Smell: Dark dried fruit and sherry to port aromas, leather, not much malt, no roast, not much hop but some alcohol. Taste: Starts with a blast of fruit, some sweet dark cherry, then it seques through some sherry, flavors sweetened with caramel and spiced with a trace of cinnamon. It presents a hot alcohol warming finish. Mouthfeel: A shade less than chewy. It’s less than average carbonation levels suggest a port wine texture. Overall: This is sweet and alcoholic like a sweet wine with some malt flavors running around and leaves a burst of alcohol in the back taste. A classic holiday sitting by the fire beer.

4.07/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Smooth and sweet Doppelbock heaven. I'm very impressed with this one.

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

I was smitten with this beer from the first sip. Highlighted taste and high alcohol level make it very tasty.

4.34/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 vintage. Poured a gorgeous coppery ruby colour, very clear. No head.

S - sweet dates, cherries, candied bananas, brandy, maybe some nuttiness, a fair bit of caramel malts coming through. Also alcohol notes.

T - quite sweet, with robust brandied cherries and dates, raisins, creamy with some slight nutmeg and spice, blended into the warming caramel flavour. Orange, no real bitterness, just a toasty caramel lingering on. Warming, alcohol is well hidden, and it drinks like a smooth brandy nearly, with a similar warming oaky character.

M - thick, candied feel with light carbonation and some definite alcohol warmth off of it.

Paired very nicely with dark chocolate, yes a lot of sweet caramel notes, but a lot of interesting dried fruity character, mixed with spices and oak. It never became cloying (had it at nearly room temperature though) and was a smoothly satisfying. I don't think you can take knocks at this beer for being what it is meant to be, it is utterly delicious, a smooth sipper and warming. It may not be to everyone's taste but it makes a nice treat.

2.49/5  rDev -37.8%

Sweet dates and raisins, high gravity and a bit too sweet for me, would love it hopped up.

3.3/5  rDev -17.5%

I feel juvenile writing this review. Maybe I am out of touch or breaching my comfort zone.

13oz pour into Chimay goblet

A: Generic; headless due to booziness. Chestnut body.

S: Whiskey cherries, dates, latex.

T: Raisins, maraschino cherries, toffee.

F: A great, smoothe body, but very dry finish. Again, the booze really get to me.

O: Although balanced, this doppelbock is far too much to enjoy. It's not warming, just intoxicating. The flavor is simple and straight to the point. There is nothing clean about this recipe.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Far too sweet for my liking. It could've been a lot more balanced. Alcohol is well hidden, though.

to view more.