Samichlaus Classic Bier - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samichlaus Classic Bier Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.69/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.46/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.14/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Dark amber color, raisiny aroma, robust taste almost like that of a barleywine, heavy on the pallet.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

4.43/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A-a clear dark ruby color with a thin layer of head that disappears quickly to leave a bit of lacing around the top

S-very sweet with lots of alcohol in the nose, dark fruits and light caramel malt

T-very sweet, tastes like sweet fruits have been marinating in sugar, caramel malt comes out as the beer warms. Incredibly smooth and not much alcohol in the taste.

M-medium body, light carbonation

Overall a truly gorgeous looking beer and way too drinkable for 14%. Would love to taste it again with some age on it.

4.63/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottled in 2013 (consumed Jan 2014). Poured into a chalice.

A dopplebock or a barley Wine? Missing that hop character (aroma and bitterness) so I agree a dopplebock but I can also understand how this beer could be mistaken for a barley wine. Could be an extraordinary after dinner drink. Should I have cellared this beer? Probably, but this was my first taste. Reminds me of the Samuel Adams (blue bottle) Triplebock from days gone by – 4

A – Pours a clear garnet color, very little head or lacing – 4

S - Sweet, malty, barleywine-ish – 4

T - Sweet, malty, some fruit (can’t peg the exact flavor), almost cloying sweet, slight bitterness but not enough to balance the sweetness - 3.75

MF - Warming! Med heavy - 4

Definitely a beer I need to reevaluate when I have an opportunity to taste a cellared version.

4.67/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage. Pours a clear ruby color with zero head. Very unexpected but beautiful and appealing look. The smell and flavor change as it warms. Starts off with a deep dark fruit/molasses smell you might expect to find in beers of this variety. Taste is very sweet and strong -- definitely got the dark fruits and brown sugar in there. Some booze, but not too much. It transitions into a much different smell of cherries, raspberries, and wine. The tartness is unique but appealing. Makes me want to drink more. Taste becomes more dark-fruity and the molasses becomes sweeter. When it's warm, the tart berry wine smell is still there, with grapes becoming more pronounced. Definitely more molasses smell now too. The taste is very sugary sweet, sticky brown sugar. Cloying and boozy.

Body is thick and syrupy with very little carbonation.

Definitely a winter beer if there ever was one. It's heavy on the sweetness and fruit typical of strong barleywines. A little boozy. But, it's all balanced very well and it put a smile on my face at how unique a delicious it was. I'm buying more when I find them.

4.74/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.06/5  rDev +1.5%

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.73/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

I picked up a bottle of Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg's Samichlaus Classic Bier a couple weeks ago for $5.59 at The Lager Mill. I tried this beer a couple years ago, but I don't really remember much about and I thought it was time to revisit it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into into a Teku.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice clean and classic look to it, I think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a pretty clear amber color that took on more of a ruby crimson color when held to the light with almost a half a finger of tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left hardly any lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, the color was really nice looking.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of sweetness which goes right into the fruits which are the first to show up and it imparts a big dark fruit aroma that's very juicy smelling and it makes for an aroma that similar to a dark fruit juice. Up next comes the malts which are a little on the lighter side with caramel malt, sweet malt, and toffee like aromas coming through along with a sweet alcohol aroma. This beer had a good aroma, it's pretty much what I would expect from a beer like this.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a high amount of sweetness with the dark fruits still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but they are lighter this time and don't feel as juicy as they were in the aroma. Up next comes the sweet alcohol which is fairly boozy and a little warming and it's followed by the malts which impart the same aspect that they did in the aroma, but this time more of those caramel aspects comes through along with just a little more toffee. On the finish there's no bitterness with some sweetness and alcohol taking it's place and it had a sweet, caramel, toffee and raisin like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it sure was sweet and boozy, it had some good flavors that made up for it.

M- A little smooth, not crisp, a little boozy, a little warming, pretty sticky, slightly cloying, medium bodied with a low amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel, but I wish it was a little smoother with the alcohol hidden a little better.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and good example of the style, it had pretty much all the aspects that I expect from the a very strong Doppelbock and it was just the type of beer I needed on this really cold day in Mid Michigan. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, not crisp, a little boozy, a little warming, pretty sticky, slightly cloying, not too filling and the taste did nice job at holding my attention, i think one is the perfect amount for me, no need to open another one and I think it makes for a great cold weather beer. What I like the most about this beer was the color and the balance when it came to the taste, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I like the lest about this beer was the sweetness and how well the alcohol was hidden, I think those aspects could use a little bit of work. I would buy this beer again, I'll be getting a bottle next year and I think I might have to get one or two for the cellar. I would recommend this to anyone who likes strong Doppelbocks, it's very true to style. All in all I was happy with this beer and I think it was a good idea to revisit it. It is strong and boozy, but the flavors are good and I think it's a good Winter Seasonal. It makes for a good first impression for this brewery and I would like to try more of their beers. I think this is one of the better high gravity Doppelbocks I've had. Good job guys, this is one tasty and potent Doppelbock, keep up the solid work,

3.72/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was simply an amazing beer. It taste of toffee but not too strong. You can hardly taste the alcohol in it. It's thick and rich. This is one you would drink after a meal. I would recommend this as a dessert drink. Goes with chocolate very well. Indeed one of the best beers I've tasted. It deserves a higher rating than its been given.

4.48/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.24/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Duvel tulip. No freshness date.

A- Pours a light reddish brown color with a 1/4 inch light tan head that doesn't retain long before becoming a paper-thin ring around the edge of the glass and minimal surface foam. Zero lacing.

S- Boozy aroma of dark fruit, raisin and even some red wine-like characteristic. Sherry-like sweetness.

T- The dark fruit notes continue with more raisin sweetness but the clean lager finish keeps everything in control. This is way too drinkable given the ABV.

M- Sticky, almost syrupy with low carbonation and a fullish body.

O- Haven't had this in years and I'm glad I finally revisited it. A great sipper that hasn't lost its edge even in the new era of extreme high gravity beers that have surpassed this, what was once the strongest beer in the world.

4.6/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was probably only 25 when I tasted this for the first time, and back then I only bought a bottle for it's legendary abv. Now I'm 53 and I've purchased my second bottle. The is the Bottled in 2014 version.
A - Pours a clear amber brown. The head settles very quickly.
S - Surprisingly little or no aroma.
T - Oh this is smooth. Complex, somewhat sweet, dark fruit is the flavor but it's wonderfully mild and soft. A hint of alcohol on the warming finish.
M - While not a thick beer, the flavors coats your mouth and stays with you for a good long time.
O - I think this deserves a much higher rating. A very special beer that I will buy more of now and in years to come.

3.45/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got to try the 2007 on New Years Eve. Pours an amber color with very little head to speak of. The smell was full of caramel and toffee but also oak and what smelled like port wine. The taste wasn't as sweet when I tried my first sip. Very complex and layered with different flavors. Sweet but not sugary, bold but not overpowering. Very nice.

Samichlaus Classic Bier from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg