Samichlaus Classic Bier - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Samichlaus Classic BierSamichlaus Classic Bier

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  14.00% ABV

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samichlaus Classic Bier Alström Bros

Travcofarms, Dec 21, 2012

C'mon guys, be real...
This beer is not good, in fact I do not believe that anyone truly enjoys this beer, but many feel that they are supposed to.
Looks like a glass of bourbon with about the same amount of head, smell and taste profile are completely dominated by alcohol, slides around the mouth like a swig of 10/50 W motor oil, two gulps later this was down the drain, thank god they only bottle it occassionally, why waste your time with this stuff when you can have a nice single malt scotch?

surfmeister, Apr 01, 2005

cfalovo97, May 14, 2013

benbjb, Nov 04, 2012

linnymtu, Sep 09, 2014
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Apr 23, 2012

MONARK1981, Jan 06, 2012

TheRevMatt, Apr 05, 2013
1.01/5  rDev -74.7%

I love high ABV beers, I have an open mind, and I love everything about the brewing craft. But this...thing....candy-coated cigarette ash that has been doused in bottom shelf bourbon. Holy hell I havent had a beer this bad in a long time. Gives me the haunted shivers I got when I tried a sip of bud light chelada. Whoever you are that brewed this batch (or beer in general) there is a special spot in hell for you. Right next to the chelada guy.

Focusf111, Apr 04, 2014
1.13/5  rDev -71.7%

Nevermind what anyone tells you (or perhaps see for yourself if you feel like punishing yourself), Samichlaus is horrible.

This stuff is like nailpolish. I finished my half of the 12oz bottle, but I later regretted the decision as I horked out this "beer."

Just awful. Way too sweet and doesn't win me over the way plenty of other extreme, high-ABV brews have. Avoid.

edit, two years later: I haven't tried this again, nor do I want to. I wanted to add that before, and since trying Samichlaus, I have had many big beers of similar/greater strength. I love massive beers, but I can still remember what Samichlaus tasted like and it was damned terrible!

MarkBlackout, Jun 22, 2005
1.15/5  rDev -71.2%

I am sure I may stand alone on this one but I absolutely hated this beer! It smelled very rank and tasted even worse. The alcohol level is too high for this beer. It burned as it went down. Very unpleasant. I let my roommate try it and she had the same impression. I hear great reviews but do not understand why. The appearance was the only thing that gave it any points in my book.

Jdiddy, Apr 06, 2002
1.2/5  rDev -69.9%

Every taste and smell that this beverage is supposed to have is completely masked by an extreme sweetness (incomplete fermentation?) and a strong alcohol flavor. I've enjoyed beverages with similar and higher ABV ratings, and this was awful. There are very popular beers known to be bad, and this trumps them all. I would not recommend this beverage to anyone but a masochist. .

This is my first review of a beer on BA. You can try this beer, but I advise you only try a single bottle and have other beers as backups. You aren't proving anything by drinking this thing.

epistax, Jan 11, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -68.7%

(Bottled 2003). Deep golden colour, moderate head. Aroma of sugary alcohol and hay. Grossly over-hyped and over-rated beer, mostly by people obviously fascinated by the high ABV. Sorry, I have difficulties respecting the ratings of people who actually LIKE this crap. Flavour is cloyingly & revoltingly sweet, alcohol, molasses, syrup, syrup and more syrup. And alcohol. Did I mention syrup? And alcohol? This is gross. This is REALLY gross. Half of it went down the drain. And I paid nearly US$10 (in Norway) for this bottle! (Sob!) Cellaring it for 30 years might have helped A LITTLE, but why cellar crap? A real drainpour, if I ever saw one. Thank God I drank it in November - "Samichlaus" would have ruined my Christmas completely.

Sigmund, Nov 03, 2004
1.41/5  rDev -64.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

2013 vintage. First time trying this. I'm aware that it's supposed to improve with age, but it's supposedly already aged for almost a year so I figured I may as well blast one now and see what's up.

Appearance: Fizzy head that completely disappeared within 5 seconds, leaving a clear reddish-brown liquid. Appears to be 95% un-carbonated. I guess it looks okay, but the weird mystery head has me a bit worried. It looks like a port wine now.

Smell: Oh god, I'm in trouble. Sickeningly sweet, I'm not getting much besides sugar, weird rotten corn/grain, and a disgusting metallic aroma that reminds me very strongly of cheap high gravity lager "Camo Extra Black" ($1.50 for 24oz, 12% abv). I had a friend sniff it and he agreed that it was nearly identical to that one.

Taste: I thought I could handle sweet. Founders Sweet Repute straddled the line but didn't cross it. Samichlaus steps over the line, takes a crap on it, and then throws the poo in your face. Maybe I got a bad one, maybe it gets way better with age, or maybe the price and reputation have just convinced people that it's not as gross as it really is, who knows. But this tastes like a very slightly refined version of the aforementioned Camo Black Extra, dripping with horrible rotten corn, sugar, cheap alcohol, mushy brown apples, massive boozy heat, and a horribly offensive metallic finish. I said it multiple times already, but this tastes so much like drinking Camo straight from the can that it isn't funny. Actually it is pretty funny, as long as I can harness the power of the 14% ABV to forget how much money I spent on this mess. The same friend (who has wildly differing beer opinions from mine) agreed that the taste is nearly identical. I give this one an extra .25 of a point just because there are some things that are undeniably worse (albeit for 1/10 the price) and you gotta reserve the lowest mark for something truly special. Still... Samichlaus is without a doubt the worst-tasting "good" beer I've yet come across, and by an enormous margin.

Mouth feel: Not AS bad as the taste and smell, but still extremely offensive. It's too thin but too thick at the same time. The carbonation is extremely light, but also too sharp on the entry. After the initial sip it goes flat in your mouth and takes on a cough syrup-like consistency. It really feels like a disturbingly thick version of a cheap, cheap, awful 40oz of bad malt liquor that has been sitting around open for too long. I can't finish this.

Overall: This resembles more than anything a cheap, awful port wine with a hint of carbonation thrown into it to make you feel like you're drinking a beer. I like ports, but this is an abomination. Even at $1 a bottle, this would still be a drain pour. I have a really hard time believing that anyone could enjoy it. I do think that a couple years of age would reduce the disgusting metallic notes and maybe open up the port-like flavors, but you'd still be polishing a turd. I have no intention of finding out for myself. Stay far away unless you have a taste for rotten fruit and high-gravity lagers and someone else is paying. Utter crap. And again, I honestly cannot imagine somebody legitimately enjoying this. Maybe if you force your way through half the bottle you'll be drunk enough that it will start to taste good. I lasted four or five sips before I had to toss it to avoid throwing up.

Edit: I browsed the other low scores and found that someone described it as being "like nail polish" and I think that was the missing element in my review. Huge acetone taste on this one. That's acceptable for some kinds of rum, but in a beer of this nature it's downright vomit-inducing.

Further edit: some say this has to be aged for at least 2 years and then its true power is revealed. To that I say, why release it if it's undrinkable as-is? They already aged it for 10 months before bottling or whatever, if it needs two more years to not be horrible, why not hang on to it for that long and then send it to stores?

krustster, Dec 21, 2013
1.48/5  rDev -62.9%

Bottled in 2009

Pours an amber/honey color with some red highlights. 1/2 finger of white bubbles that quickly dissipate to form a collar around the edges of the glass.

When I first smell this beer, it kind of reminds me of an old ale/english barleywine like Thomas Hardy's. I intially smell tons of rum soaked raisins. What follows is the smell of savory spices along the lines of clove, nutmeg. I think I also smell some gingerbread. There is also plenty of ethanol coming off this one.

The first few sips of this beer made me wince. Now I am getting used to it. This beer is very sweet, syrupy, and, alcoholic. The taste pretty much follows the nose- tons of rum soaked raisins, lots of savory spices like clove, nutmeg, gingerbread, allspice, and maybe some cinnamon. I think I taste some nail polish remover. The finish is sweet and consists of fusel alcohol.

Viscous liquid with low carbonation. Pretty syrupy. The consistency is medium to thick.

The drinkability of this beer is not good. It tastes nothing like a doppelbock. It syrupy sweet with low carbonation which makes this a real sipper. It's is also not very complex. All you need is 2 ounces to know what this beer is all about. The alcohol is really hot which doesn't help either. I know this beer is probably too fresh but, if that's the case then don't put it on the shelf. Maybe if you put this in the cellar for 3 to 5 years, it might be somewhat drinkable. On the label it says, "The World's Most Extraordinary Beverage". I think not.

Dubber55, Jul 14, 2010

arash1000, Dec 30, 2012

sclitch, Feb 04, 2014

lupercmda, Feb 28, 2013
1.53/5  rDev -61.7%

2002 vintage.

Poured a lovely limpid copper/caramel colour primed with ripe peach flesh highlights. Hardly any of the off white foam managed to stay behind longer than the blink of an eye and left no lace.

Up front, you are stricken by firm malt aromas and candy sugars followed by spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and slight cloves. The finish is alcoholic, reninescent of fruit brandy.

The body is dense and alcoholic, and the taste is sweet, syrupy, cloying and generally unpleasant. Flavours of malt and faint pepper have difficulty cutting through the sugar. A long and heavy alcohol sweetness lingers.

This beer in no way resembles the one brewed formerly by Hurlimanns which posessed much more depth and balance and was a pleasure to sip as a nightcap. I RARELY dump beer down the drain but I certainly wasn't going to get sick drinking this one.

Beersignal, Apr 12, 2004
1.54/5  rDev -61.4%

Well, I had this beer thinking it was going to be a treat. A nice, rich, creamy doppebock...though I suppose the 14% should have told me this one was going to be different.
Now, the appearance of this beer was the first warning sign...where I expected a dark and rich beauty with a creamy head, instead I get a glass of tepid well water that's had rust dripping into it for the better half of last century...
But I remained brave, I fought through, past the offending looks and onto the aroma...
My good, if this beer smelled any sweeter I'd swear it gave Wilfred Brimley diabetus.
Of course, the taste only confirmed this fear, it was as if I dumped 40 packets of splenda in a 40 of O.E.

I don't get it...everyone seems to love this beer. It is the worst beverage I've had the displeasure of consuming. And I drank bong water once...

jivex5k, Aug 13, 2013
1.63/5  rDev -59.1%

I bought this for the holidays and planned to share with my father.

We poured it into a regular pint glass, dark red-brown color. The head was just a thin line.

It smelled immediately of malt and spice but with burnt sugar /molasses like.

Taste was too sweet, definitely brown sugar/molasses. Alcohol was abundant at the back of the tongue and you immediately smell it at the back of your throat.

Almost no carbanation and pretty smooth

a drink for those who dig sweet malt lagers/liquor! not for me.

bierschmecktgut, Jan 16, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -57.9%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a mug. Bottled in 2006.

Appearance: Pours a clear, but fairly dark, copper-brown color. Basically no head.

Smell: Alcohol -- like a whisky or strong sherry. And a bit of sweet malts.

Taste: Again, it's like a whisky masquerading as a beer. A somewhat oaky alcohol flavor that is quite (too) strong. Has an underlying malt sweetness with brown sugar, as well as the taste of figs and raisins or something like that.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with virtually no carbonation. Slight burning sensation too.

Drinkability: Alcohol is waaaay too strong in the taste. Unbearable.

Novelty only. I cannot stand an alcohol taste this strong in a beer. If I want a whisky, I'll have a whisky. Sorry, kids...

mithrascruor, Apr 08, 2007
1.75/5  rDev -56.1%

On tap at Maduro, $3 for a nearly full Bell's Tullip. Pretty nasty stuff on tap.

Smells like sugar, booze, cheries, licorice, cat piss, and toffee. Tastes a bit like a strong mead loaded with candy sugar. Syrupy body, very sweet, seriously, disgustingly sweet. The ABV may be partially covered but the sugar sure as hell isn’t. Lots of cherry taste but most other flavors are hard to distinguish because my tongue is burning from the sweetness. It makes me sick to my stomach and hurts my throat. My body rejects this as foul. I take no pleasure in this mess, although it has a really, really pretty chestnut body with reddish hues though no head what-so-ever. I think this might be a lot better after a decade in a cellar.

DaPeculierDane, Feb 15, 2007