Samichlaus Classic Bier - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Samichlaus Classic BierSamichlaus Classic Bier

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  14.00% ABV

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001)
View: Beers (18) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samichlaus Classic Bier Alström Bros
kelticblood

2.3/5  rDev -42.4%

Ok.. Here we go. I've had this sitting in my fridge forever. It is from the 2001 vintage. Already six years old. When I poured it there was absolutely no head or any carbonation to speak of. The color is a very thick looking dark brownish-red. It looked like a glass of flat Coke.First sip just about took my breath away and made me pass out. I had the sour face when you suck on a lemon. OMG is this strong and overly sweet. The aroma is good and very profound with strong notes of figs, raisins, and heavy malts. The taste is horrible. It is so sweet I cannot even see myself finishing it. Flat mouthfeel with no carbonation. Overpowering ABV added to an sweet syrupy makes for a bad combination. It is like drinking cough syrup. I respect the ABV and it's 2001 vintage, but this is just not drinkable at all. I did notice some bitterness with each gagging sip I took. I can't believe I let this take up space in my fridge for 6 years.

04-06-2007 15:54:16 | More by kelticblood
BamaScholar

Tennessee

2.3/5  rDev -42.4%

this beer is the 6 december 2004 bottling.

i'm not sure i see how this beer is true to the style if general ABV is 6.5 to 9.0...it was a gorgeous pour but smell and taste are sickengly sweet, alcoholic burn, and candy fumes. one taste is one-dimensionally interesting...not balanced or full-bodied, you just want to swallow it as quickly as possible.

it was worth trying this bad boy to get an idea for it but i like a beer to exhibit some complexity or interesting notes...the world's strangest beer is tough to get down...maybe longer aging makes for a more well-rounded experience? not recommended...

12-23-2005 03:40:28 | More by BamaScholar
Andreji

Colombia

2.33/5  rDev -41.6%

Bottled in 2004

Well I finally came around to drinking the Samichlaus I'd kept for heck, months now (I'm not too big at cellaring) on one of my need-a-beer moments. I though about saving it til christmas so to say precisely 2 years later, but now I'm glad I didn't give it any more attention otherwise I would've been more disappointed.

I poured into my Duvel tulip which is my reference glass for body and the ever important head. but this was rather flat, if only a small film covering the fluid that didn't make it the most attractive beer. but the looks of it were deep and intriguing, unlike the darkness of dark belgian beers, this had some germanic element. it looked like syrup too, jiggled around the glass in a more viscous-than-watery manner (sort of like whisky). that got my attention.

The smell wasn't fantastic or abundant. It was very very buttery as I can recall the pattern, with an excessively strong alcohol feel combined with the malty sweetness. yes, someone had spiked the syrup on my waffles, the smell was very much it.

Then came the cunning disappointment. Now I've tried a few doppelbocks but I'm not an expert. I can honestly claim to liking most of them, which are moderately sweet. but this was worse than coke. it was terribly sweet and unbalanced, the alcohol also making a brutal presence to tame the nose that was already shocked with so much sugar. That was all that could be tasted. no bitterness. The mouthfeel, quite literally that stinging feel on the pharyngeal mucus you get when you drink cheap liqueurish, isn't particularly something I'd recommend.

And of course, the drinkability of a 14% bomb that doesn't even hide the alcohol right certainly drops low on my book as well. plus, who'd be up for buying and drinking more than one of these? stock up on aunt jemina and cheap rum instead.

11-12-2005 14:32:01 | More by Andreji
Quaffer

Nevada

2.33/5  rDev -41.6%

11.2 oz. bottle. Bottled on December 6, 2003. Picked this one up in Kansas City. Not available here in Wichita.

Appearance: Poured a crystal clear amber. A really nice, deep color. The cream colored head rose up to only about a finger with a lot of effort. It was fizzy and dissipated quickly. There was no lacing.

Smell: A heavy, thick malt sweetness dominated the aroma. Right after the pour was the unmistakeable aroma of cough syrup, but that died away quickly. What remained was the aforementioned sweetness, light roasted malt, tart black cherries, and a general sweet candy smell. Almost cotton candy like at times. There were also hints of spicy alcohol combined with a light smokiness in the background.

Mouthfeel: Very syrupy feeling. Really coated the inside of the mouth. Medium bodied and dead feeling in the mouth.

Taste: Holy crap! Sweet beyond all that is holy. There was some tart cherry in the middle and some alcohol on the finish, but other than that, just head shaking sweetness. After the sugar shock wore off, I did notice some spirit-like alcohol flavors as well as some charred wood, but these were mild compared to the mind-numbing sweetness.

Glad I tried it, but it shall never pass my lips again. Didn't even want to finish this.

01-04-2005 04:19:36 | More by Quaffer
Frozensoul327

2.42/5  rDev -39.3%

A unique brew, and definitly not for me. Poured out with no head and very low carbonation. Colour of a darker scotch, amber red. Heavy odors of fruit and earth. Overly sticky sweet flavor, with notes of alcohol (14% ABV). This may be the most extraordinary beer in the world, but not the best in my mind. Label states it gets better with age. Hopefully it does. Mine was from Dec 2004 and consumed in March of 2005. I'm thinking it's probably not aged enough. Will re-review again with a longer aged sample.

03-27-2005 00:18:18 | More by Frozensoul327
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.45/5  rDev -38.6%

I had this beer around 10 years ago and didn't like it at all. This was a random send from Sudsdog and i'm kind of interested to see how my tastes and palate have change or not towards this beer. I have a 12oz bottle served into a large Delirium snifter.Pours a medium clear amber color,looks like apple juice with reddish hues with a thin white head that falls quicker than i can type in the appearance of the beer. Just a few tiny bubbles staggering around.

A very sweet hot malty aroma,better than i remember. Strong burnt carmell,slght metallic notes with a booziness that burns the senses,dark overrippen fruit,slightly perfumy.

Very sweet syrupy taste,not as boozy as expected. Has a woody boubon age quality to the taste. Heavy very sweet candied burnt carmelled taste leaves a very sugary coating on the lips. Sweet overippen dark fruitiness throughout with a touch of honey? A definate sipper had lots of warming character,more drinkable than i would have thought from my first impression. I feel like i'm drinking a shot with every sip,yet the beer does has some smoothness to it.
Would like to try this one again after more aging this beer was bottled in 06.Better than the first time i tried it,still not a beer i would recomend. drink at you're own risk. Don't see why this beer gets all the hype?
Can't belive this beer gets a B+ rating on BA. I wasn't impressed a bit. Might as well just save your money and get a bottle of booze. I did manage to finish this one,but really would'nt want to do it again.

10-14-2008 03:13:11 | More by jcdiflorio
Jredner

2.48/5  rDev -37.8%

2002 Bottling. Strong malt notes with a big alcohol smell and a touch of sweetness. Amber colored. Headless. I even busted out some chocolate cake for this. Isn’t helping the flavor any. I had the old version in high school and while it was long ago it was an important moment in my life and I remember it being more rich and darker. Still some interesting flavors here: fruits (apple, pear), nuts and of course alcohol. Kinda a sugary liquor when you get down to it. Nowadays there are many beers with this level of alcohol that handle it a LOT better.

03-01-2006 07:12:45 | More by Jredner
BeerSingh

India

2.48/5  rDev -37.8%

Okay - the reason I fell in love with beer was that I read about the Samichlaus legend - that it is brewed once a year (Dec 6 - my birthday), that it is a Guinness entrant for the strongest beer in the world (that time the highest ABV known to me was 6 or 8) and the works...

Finally, my trip to the US and I finally meet Santa Claus beer. The Helles first and then this Original. The meeting left me confused and wanting for another shot

Poured into a snifter. Appearance was reddish brown and clear. Very thin head which quickly dissipated and disappointed. The smell was fragrant and very boozey. It wafted cough syrup memories.

First sip, and I was hey - this is pretty dominating and in your face. As I went further, the cognac - cough syrup flavour took over and the strong alcohol vapors simply put a halt on the enjoyment quota. I was disappointed because it did not taste like beer. Of course, I might have been suffering from palate fatigue or from over anticipation, but I became awry.

I still respect the beer and the legend. I think I definitely need to give it another shot. Maybe age the bottle and let its fiercity mellow down. I didn't like it first up but I want to have another shot at it. I am sure that my opinion will change.

11-04-2009 04:39:54 | More by BeerSingh
deschutes_fan

Idaho

2.48/5  rDev -37.8%

Passed by this beer many times at the bottle shop, but a friend highly recommended it to me, so I finally gave it a try. Maybe my expectations were off here....

- The beer pours a nutty brown with almost no carbonation.

- Smells very sweet with toffee and malt notes.

- Taste is off the chart sweet. Just a malty sweet syrup mess that lingers in my mouth for seemingly ever. I was hoping for some bitter roasty flavors to balance it out and add complexity. This is not for me, I could easily be convinced this is a port wine. And the booze is VERY apparent

- Mouthfeel is terrible.

-Overall, this an astringent overly sweet malt syrup that just lingers, no balance or compelixty. This could be sold as a cheap port ($5 for 12oz port is on the cheaper side). Not for me, the more I drink the more I hate it. Drain pour the second half of bottle.

10-09-2013 02:28:06 | More by deschutes_fan

Romania

04-21-2014 10:37:14 | More by parintele
BrownNut

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

I like doppelbocks. I like Celebrator and Maximator a lot. Sam Adams is pretty good. I like Korbinian well enough. Spaten, one or two others. The style seems like a nice one. But this one tasted like balsamic vinegar mixed with something sweet. So did the Ettaler Curator doppelbock I tried after that to a somewhat lesser extent. Both were sour and vinegary. Do not like. Couldn't get through a 4 oz taster. I wonder what makes these two come out like this.

01-24-2012 04:00:04 | More by BrownNut

08-15-2012 00:14:02 | More by thatdavegy
bobhits

Kentucky

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

Pours an uneventful nearly void of carbonation in the body, that at the very end of the pour suddenly plops in a bit of head that quickly runs away. OK it’s 14% so to be expected. The beer is amazingly clear and oddly bottled in 2009 so no yeast as separated yet? I’m not sure if I should be Impressed or worried. Sort of an orange amber color that I don’t really dig.

Smells like apples juice with a bit of dark fruits and beer malt. There is simply no noticeable alcohol which is rather surprising given the 14%.

Ah there’s that alcohol. This reminds me more of a fresh English barely wine. So I’m not sure what to think of it as a dopplebock. It doesn’t have the thick mouth feel of most let alone the taste of one. Fruity, sweet, brown sugar, dates, figs, spicy almost burning hops at the finish, candy, and well the sink. The problem is the alcohol and hops don’t balance or fix anything but instead just battle with the other flavors. Clearly a few more years to mellow this are a good idea.

I’m not thrilled with this “rarest and most extraordinary beverage” by any means. This is making for a less than enjoyable beer in the mouth. Too hot and hard to put to words but a watery thick syrup mouth feel.

This beer seems out of style a bit, but at 14% I suppose it is going to be a bit odd. It does have a nice flavor, it has plenty going for it, but too much here isn’t working for me. I would consider trying an older vintage though. I’m fairly certain many of these flaws will mellow and improve.

04-21-2011 21:22:13 | More by bobhits
Trappissed

2008 Vintage

Ehhh, what to say about this one? I've been curious for a while, but have come to find it should have stayed as curiousness. It actually smells like boozy Austrian Malt Liquor, as the label suggests. Not a very appealing scent. I think it could be used as paint thinner.

Taste isn't much better. Tastes like grapes doused in some sort of solvent. Lots of sugar and caramel. If I didn't know any better, I would say this is 18%. What are the redeeming qualities of this beer for people who are rating this A's and B's? I can't figure it out. After a few sips, its just kind of intimidating looking at the syrupy sludge sitting in my glass.

Even the bubbles seem scared, trapped against the glass. It might be better to take shots of. I'm sure I could offer this as shots to friends and they wouldn't even know better. This is not a Doppelbock. I don't care what anyone says. Try at your own discretion.

09-29-2009 07:46:54 | More by Trappissed
SaltyLime

Colorado

2.55/5  rDev -36.1%

Appearance - Nice dark amber center, no head at all.

Smell - Sweet, smelled like a sugar/syrup mix.

Taste - Strong. Almost liquor-like. Warming with every sip. Made me think this was like a beer version of Jägermeister.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and creamy after the punch.

Drinkability - Had to sip this one in "shots". More challenging than pleasurable.

Chill it and pur it in shot glasses for a group. I'll pass on this one next time I see it.

04-27-2007 18:48:14 | More by SaltyLime
BMoney575

2.58/5  rDev -35.3%

Sampled on 4-18-08
2005 Vintage

Pours a very surprising crystal clear orange amber, with no real head and clean lacing.

Smell is slightly sweet and very, very boozy. This is going to be interesting.

Taste is super alcohol, with a sweet malty edge to it. Very strong, and very one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel is very dry and sharp, like a good martini.

Drinkability is astoundingly bad. It is the most sipping beer I've ever had.

Overall, an immense disappointment. I was expecting dark, malty, fruity. This is no doppelbock.

04-18-2008 22:53:07 | More by BMoney575
CJfromPhilly

2.58/5  rDev -35.3%

Pours from the 12 oz. bottle a cola-ish brown with a very slight head that disappears into nothing in no time. Almost zero carbonation...the bubbles are few & far between. Aroma is sweet and syrupy. 1st sip is pancake syrup sweet with a noticeable undertone of alcohol that burns slightly on the way down. Mouthfeel is very light, almost watery & flat from the lack of carbonation. Overall, I have to rate this a disappointment. Cloyingly, sticky sweet with almost no hops or malt, and alcohol harshness. Hopefully, this will improve with age.

04-25-2010 21:30:42 | More by CJfromPhilly
zoso1967

2.6/5  rDev -34.8%

Pours a rich slightly ruby brown color that would look great as stain on hardwood floors. No head at all, just a few bubbles that line the edge of the glass. The aroma is fruity and malty sweet. Caramel, brown sugar, molasses and cherry. Also, a slight spiciness. The flavor is amazingly sweet. Sweet malt is the main flavor, but it also has caramel, molasses, cherry and plum. Unlike other beers of this strength, this does not seem to have anything to cover up the unadulterated sweetness that comes with a beer of this ABV. Speaking of which, the only thing that really helps cut all that sweetness is the considerable alcoholic warmth. The mouthfeel , surprisingly, is what I would classify as the heavier side of medium, far from syrupy and full. It also has a fairly pleasant finish and drinks much more like a spirit than a high octane beer. That being said it is not very drinkable. Definitely a sipper, but not one I would like to savor. This beer is loved by many I know, and far be it from me to stop their enjoyment. For me though, this is very overrated and hardly drinkable.

06-27-2010 18:34:02 | More by zoso1967
homebrew311

2.63/5  rDev -34.1%

A: appears a deep clear red with absolutely no head and no lacing. Didn't really expect this with a 14% beer.

S: sugary sweet up front, dark fruits, molasses,, maple, all malt and all sweet.

T: again, sweet and sugary from beginning to finish. Notes of fruit and molasses, zero bitterness or hop character.

MF: syrupy, low carbonation, thick body

D: this is not something I could see myself drinking again. I had enough trouble just sharing one bottle of it. It is far too sweet. I've had beers of this abv that are much better balanced. This could use some refinement.

01-11-2011 00:20:20 | More by homebrew311