Samichlaus Classic Bier - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,783 | Reviews: 1,040
3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

4.73/5  rDev +18.3%

Unfortunately this is Vintage 2002 bottle, from the old brewery. Poured into a goblet with slight white head that dissipates quickly. The color is of light copper and there is faint appearance of syrup much like a schnapps. The nose is of warm caramel and fusel alcohols. the taste is farmiliar to in content to a "fresh" Samiclhaus with the thick sryupy body of big malt. It's just that it is completely smooth! the heat of alcohol is gone. I am glad I aged this for 10 years and now there is only one left from my 2002 six pack.

3.45/5  rDev -13.8%

2006 Vintage. Poured a copper amber color. It was crystal clear, with absolutely no haze. No head whatsoever.

Smell had ripe cherries and plums. Couldn't detect any hops in there. Also a huge amount of alcohol, smelled a little bit like rubbing alcohol but not as powerful.

Tasted very much like wine. Plums, brown sugar, and a little bit of woodiness. Alcohol is very present and it dances on the tongue. Kind of like drinking a port.

Mouthfeel was smooth and the carbonation was perfect. Drinkability is not so great because the alcohol comes out and almost stings. An intersting beer that I think can age very well. I'll have to pick up another one and set it down.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

4.26/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into a Chimay glass in Janury 2011, bottled in 2008.

The color is similar to maple syrup. Zero head.

Smells like alcohol, caramel and raisins.

Honey, caramel, vanilla, spices, hops and smoke. Alohol warms the throat and stomach.

Very little carbonation, mouthfeel is thin and sticky.

Drinkability is high under the right circumstances, I would like to try this with food since I think that would make it even better.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

3.33/5  rDev -16.8%

very clear amber with a thin off white creamy head. ok lacing.

smells like malt and maybe a little bit of citrussy hops. and a pretty strong booze scent too.

taste is the same.

mouthfeel is prickly and thin. coats the mouth a little bit too much.

This beer is not very drinkable even though it has a sort of thin body. just too rich and spritzy.

I tried this beer before and i believe it was cold, it does much better warm, but it still isnt very good. better than average but not amazing.

3.57/5  rDev -10.8%

2006 bottling. Poured a light brown, amber color with a small wispy head that never quite disappears. Aroma is very malty with strong alcoholic, winey notes in the nose. I can tell from the smell alone that this is going to be quite an experience. Taste is quite malty, very sweet with almost a brandy-like warming alcoholic note in each taste. The finish is also quite alcoholic. This is a very full bodied, rich beer. Certainly not one for the less adventurous beer drinker. The alcohol is not hidden at all, so it pays to sip on this one slowly. I remember this beer being much darker when it was brewed by Hurlimann, but it still has that huge malty backbone. I'll probably age the other 2 bottles from the fourpack several years to see how it matures.

3.86/5  rDev -3.5%

Source/Serving: 12oz. Bottle. No expiration date.

Smell: Sweet brown sugar, some cidery notes, lots of pumpkin pie spice, caramel, juicy prunes, and a pinch of bananas. Quite nice.

Taste: Slightly toasted caramel and a little brown sugar blended with plum wine that has a slight fruit juice character. Turns into an interesting play between earthy spices and aged, dark sourness and a little mineral though everything rides over a rich brown sugar note. For me its not anywhere near too sweet. A hint of alcohol is noticeable. Finish is sweet, juicy, nutmeg, mineral, and dries out a bit after a moment.

1.5/5  rDev -62.5%

2.75/5  rDev -31.3%

2.38/5  rDev -40.5%

Ok.. Here we go. I've had this sitting in my fridge forever. It is from the 2001 vintage. Already six years old. When I poured it there was absolutely no head or any carbonation to speak of. The color is a very thick looking dark brownish-red. It looked like a glass of flat Coke.First sip just about took my breath away and made me pass out. I had the sour face when you suck on a lemon. OMG is this strong and overly sweet. The aroma is good and very profound with strong notes of figs, raisins, and heavy malts. The taste is horrible. It is so sweet I cannot even see myself finishing it. Flat mouthfeel with no carbonation. Overpowering ABV added to an sweet syrupy makes for a bad combination. It is like drinking cough syrup. I respect the ABV and it's 2001 vintage, but this is just not drinkable at all. I did notice some bitterness with each gagging sip I took. I can't believe I let this take up space in my fridge for 6 years.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

My bottle of Samichlaus Bier was from 2004. It poured a copper color with a half inch , quickly disipating head. The aroma is definitely unique . Smells of sweet sherry and candy ,fruits, also alcohol. Very different. Very sweet , syrupy ,fruity, malty taste as well as strong alcohol burn in the throat and nostrils. Mouthfeel is of light syrup. This is one rare tasting brew. Totally unique.
(edit)
Just stood up after drinking this one... Woah , you can feel the 14% ABV and im pretty sure i felt the alcohol move around in my stomach. lol.

3.43/5  rDev -14.3%

I don't like a lot of alcohol, and this definately has a lot of alcohol in it.
I do recognize for what its worth, it is a quality top notch brew. Thick and dark, very complex. Rich sweet, almost port wine like character. Very difficult to drink fast (if you were psycho). This is one you definately savor.
Tastes better a little warmer. Not my preference, but A+ for style.

3.59/5  rDev -10.3%

This was reviewed at the end of my night after a few cocktails and a couple Belgian beers, so you are warned.

A: This 2007 edition pours a dark cherry almost sherry wine color into my snifter. Hardly any head to speak of and absolutely no lacing. Color looks great.
S: Malts and booze, malts and booze! Very sweet, carmel malts paired with a hint of booze. Perhaps some dark fruit as well, almost as if I am smelling a port wine. There a nary a scent of chocolate, which I associate with most dopplebocks.
T: So, so, sweet. I think too sweet. The malts, carmel and dark fruits come together in a cacaphony of flavored goodness. There is a wine, perhaps rum as some before me have stated, flavor as well. It does remind me of a malted port wine.
M: Very creamy, not much carbonation to speak of. Very sweet up front. The booze then joins the party. This finishes sticky and warm. The aftertaste is almost akin to that of a shot of Stag (cherry flavored Bourbon).
D: In small doses, I think this would be great. However, I highly reccomend trying this with something salted, some meat, or some cheese. I believe when paired with any of those offerings, the overpowering sweetness of this beer would match perfectly. Tried by itself, I cannot get past the richness of the flavor, it's almost like a dessert that is too rich. This review is a reflection of my experience tonight, perhaps I will try it again when pairing it with the food mentioned above.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to biegaman for this bottle for Secret Santa 2007. Cheers, Jan!

2005 vintage. Pours with a thin head. Amberish in color. Smell is boozy and sweet. Taste is very similar & reminds me of a port or an aged Old Ale. Mouthfeel & drinkability are affected a bit by the alcohol burn even for a 2005 bottle. I have had this "fresh" & this is a beer meant for the cellar. A sipper but interesting.

3.54/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a ruby brown with a crackling champagne-like head that fully recedes immediately.

This is a malt bomb with high concentrations of sugary sweet raisins, chocolate, coffee, german chocolate cake, rum, sweet cracklin oat bran. This is a meal in a bottle.

Taste is very sweet. Almost cloying if not for the high alchohol content. There's fruit tones of cherries and plums. Though the alchohol is right up front it's not too hot or fusel-y(Not really a word... I know)

Bottom line - This one will warm you up on a cold day but could really use some more age to mellow it out a little bit.

2.58/5  rDev -35.5%

I like doppelbocks. I like Celebrator and Maximator a lot. Sam Adams is pretty good. I like Korbinian well enough. Spaten, one or two others. The style seems like a nice one. But this one tasted like balsamic vinegar mixed with something sweet. So did the Ettaler Curator doppelbock I tried after that to a somewhat lesser extent. Both were sour and vinegary. Do not like. Couldn't get through a 4 oz taster. I wonder what makes these two come out like this.

4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

2011 vintage. 330mL bottle into a tulip glass. Best before 09/2016.

A - Pours a beautiful red-copper color, very clear, with a 1-finger off-white creamy head which disappears quite quickly, leaving a minimal lacing on the glass.

S - Sweet malt is dominant upfront, blending progressively with some alcohol to give a very balanced aroma. I pick out a lot of dark fruits.

T - One thing comes to my mind after the first sip: Raisins! The taste is very much like a cake full of dry fruits -- raisins, plums, apricots, grapes -- all mixed with honey... What a flavor! Then comes a nice warming touch of alcohol and right after a (not so) discrete hoppiness. This makes a really good balance in the mouth!

M - Extremely smooth, gently warming, this beers features a low carbonation which suits perfectly the style. Full-bodied, almost syrupy, it lingers a long time on the palate before the alcohol adds a slightly dry note at the finish.

O - A massive beer with an excellent drinkability! Very complex and close to style, it's definitely a must try for any beer enthusiast!

3.32/5  rDev -17%

12 oz. bottle.

Pours a deep copper color. Not much head and very little lacing. Smells like a Christmas ale. Syrup, Caramel and corn candy are present on the nose.

Thick sugar, sweet molasess and syrup dominate this beer. Hops are forgotten. Flavors are heavy malt. Alcohol is huge. Too much alcohol on the palate.

Alcohol sets up this beer. Heavy burning. Very unflavorful. This beer has no back bone. No willing to compromise. Mouthfeel is unsettling and it is just overall a bit harsh and ragged.

4/5  rDev 0%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samichlaus Classic Bier from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg