Samichlaus Classic Bier - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Samichlaus Classic BierSamichlaus Classic Bier

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  14.00% ABV

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001)
View: Beers (18) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samichlaus Classic Bier Alström Bros
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottled in 2004

Pours an effervescent copper/orange with a 1 finger deep head. No lacing or head retention, what a suprise!

S: Intense sweetness & syruppy (maple & praline)& a hint of alcohol

T: Caramel, pecan & bourbon up front with some alcohol burn present from the get go. Rich caramel & a hint of smokeyness follows. Finishes with a butterscotch/alcohol twang

MF: Super thick with a hint of carbonation. Impossible to define balance with a bier like this IMO

Drinks pretty easy considering the abv. I can discern no difference between this & the hurliman version from back in the day when this was THE strongest bier in the world. Got to try just for the sake of repsecting the extemism. The original triplebock !

10-21-2006 05:24:27 | More by russpowell
JWFokker

2.63/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured into a stein, it's a nice looking, reddish brown beer, but clear - not at all cloudy. Not much carbonation and almost no head at all. The nose is a combination of alcohol, spice, nuttiness and a touch of cereal or bread. The flavor is a bit much. Initially the nose translates directly to the palate. Overwhelming nut/bread and alcohol flavor, which is folowed up with a syrupy sweet aftertaste which is just too much and not unlike brandy. The mouthfeel is quite thick and syrupy as well. They just took this beer too far. It's not the high ABV either. It's as if they fermented maple syrup and bottled it. I'm not a big fan of doppelbocks but this is definitely my least favorite thusfar. I'll give it another shot a year from now and see if it improves, but at this point, it's not a recommended purchase.

10-11-2006 22:14:59 | More by JWFokker
geetlord

4.15/5  rDev +4%

This beer poreed a beautiful clear copper color with almost no head.
The aroma was dominated by alcohol, but hints of malts and nuts were present
The flavor reminded me of dark chocolate, coffee, nuts, sweet with a very warming almost brandy like finish.
The mouthfeel was slick and syrupy, but had a nice level of carbonation that made the beer drinkable.
Overall I enjoyed this beer but its strength makes it hard for me to finish a bottel without much help.

10-08-2006 23:03:52 | More by geetlord
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a .33L bottle to a steamed glass. The Liquid is crystal clear orange, OK carbonation. The head is one finger off white, fades fast, little lace.

The smell is stunning. Big alcohol, fruit and nuts, Like a juiced up trail mix.

The taste is even better, alcohol slaps you up side the head first then fades oh so smooth, to lightly caramel coated fruit and nuts. This is what so many try and only wish they could do. This is one hell of and excellent beer.

The mouthfeel works for me, could use a little more carbonation or a smidgen of a hopy bite.. Hmm...Or NOT. Dang is this good. Lip smacking good BTW.

The drinkability of this 14% ABV Brew. Is unsurpassed. This is a master brew. Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

10-08-2006 03:12:57 | More by MuenchenerKindl
pootz

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

Something special for # 600: 2005 vintage

A fast pour puts a brilliant orange-ruby bockbeir in my stein....smallish white cap vanishes after the pour to a white ring, weak lacing on the glass because of the alcohol content.

Aromas are primarily honey and alcohol..some almond and vanilla.

Thick malt spin. oily mouthfeel, malty boozy syrupy character

Rich thick malt and honey slaver the palate in the front, light peral hops give no real resistance to this boozy freight train...mid palate there are some prune-vanilla and maple syrup tones long wet finish where the thick malts and sweetness turn to a mead-like decernment then the alcohol spikes in and turns the whole thing medicinal at the very end.

This one has potential and I will cellar the other two I have for a couple of years before revisiting this beer....young ( a year old or less) it’s pretty 2 dimensional but still I like the flavor better than many young barley wines and imperials I’ve tried.

10-02-2006 23:23:27 | More by pootz
llitsua

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottle, poured into glass that somewhat resembles a flute, but a bit fatter (I'm not good with wine glasses- I bought this at a Publix for $3), bottled in 2004

A- A few shades darker than a rose wine- nice color, no head (not
that I was expecting one), tiny lacing left behind- almost like the
surface of some types of leather in appearance

S- Candy, soy, alcohol, a bit of sake; quite complex, and quite nice

T- Alcohol, raisins, peach, sake- the alcohol seems to overpower
everything, although not completely in a bad way

M- Mouth is numb from alcohol- heavy body

D- One and one only for me, but who would expect you to drink
more than one at a time?

While I really did enjoy this, I think it would have been better to wait awhile- a very intriguing beer.

09-12-2006 23:18:58 | More by llitsua
mjc410

Vermont

2.98/5  rDev -25.3%

From a 2004 bottle that's been in my basement nearly a year...

The pour into my Hobgoblin tulip raises a short-lived, one-finger light tan head that recedes to a lasting, large-bubbled glass ring that leaves more than acceptable lacing for this ABV. The body is a deep copper color, around the shade of many of the O-Fests I've been drinking this time of year. The nose is incredibly sweet and alcoholic, with rich fruity esters as well. I also pick up a bit of brown sugar. Alcohol is definitely overpowering. Taste is wildly sweet, highly alcoholic, and a bit acidic. Mouthfeel is on the high side, with no carbonation. This will be a drain pour, after I pass it about the fraternity house. The alcohol and intense sweetness ruin the beer. I thought I liked it better a year ago.

House results: two out of two people said it was alright, but only for a few sips.

Edit: after bringing this beer around to various tasters, I decided to give it another go, and I actually find it palatable, but still nothing exciting.

09-12-2006 21:20:50 | More by mjc410
haz77

Australia

4.35/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - 2005 bottle. Pours a fizzy reddish copper, with the foam dissipating immediately. Small bubbles of medium carbonation.

S - Cherry, rum, solvent, alcohol, dark ripe fruit, caramel/dark sugar.

T - Syrupy sweetness comes through almost immediately along with the ripe fruit (especially cherry). Spicy alcohol kicks in and keeps building all the way into the aftertaste leaving a very warming, slightly numbing, feeling. After the break of the alcohol, a second wave of caramel sweetness appears and grows into the finish, along with a herbal note.

M - Very smooth, full, coating and rich. Low carbonation.

D - Drinkability isn't great, but overall this is excellent and will be re-visited on many occasions.

09-02-2006 15:51:14 | More by haz77
MLegendre

Oregon

2.93/5  rDev -26.6%

Bottled in 2004

A: Dark amber almost ruby colored. No head whatsoever, a tiny little bit of carbonation can be seen. No lacing. Very beautiful color.

S: Very sweet and malty. Reminds me a bit of cherrys. Can't detect any alcohol.

T: Wow, the flavors on this hit you like a ton of bricks. The flavor changes so much during one sip it's almost impossible to describe. Taste of marachino cherrys are noticable first, but last for only a few seconds as extremely sweet malts come in and surrounds the taste buds. Midtaste alcohol becomes quite noticeable as it stings the tongue and burns the throat on the way down warming the whole body as it slides down to your stomach. This could be a really good beer however I have one big complaint, The aftertaste tastes just like cough syrup. I would like this a lot more if not for that BIG flaw. It is completly ruining this for me.

M: Thick and syrupy. There is surprisingly a very noticable amount of carbonation. Sticks to your mouth as you can taste it on your tongue long after you've swallowed leaving mouth feeling a little bit numb. It is definatly a sipper as it's a little hard to swallow.

D: I can't say this is an easy thing to drink, It's worth a try if you are into big malty beers, but not something I would get again. I really can't stand how much it remind me of cough syrup. I'm starting to doubt I'm going to be able to finish it (though I really don't want to waste something so damn expensive, over five bucks for a 12oz bottle!). Maybe if I had a cough to cure.

08-26-2006 06:56:50 | More by MLegendre
ToggleEyes

4.53/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured out a 2005 vintage and was surprised by the amount of carbonation. It's copper clear and formed a small head and then disapated quickly in my tulip bulb glass. Taste was amazing, hints of rasin, rum, port, and molasis ginger cookies? The mouthfeel is thicker/more syrupy than most dopplebocks due to the high sugars which give it the 14% alcohol rating. It's definately a sipper. I goes well with a night of surfing the net. Drinkability is a little harsh with the alcohol burn, but this is the very reason I like this beer.

08-24-2006 01:45:36 | More by ToggleEyes
Domingo

Colorado

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is the 2005 version I'm drinking. I wasn't sure of the style...but actually assumed it was an Eisbock at 14%.
Pours a brownish red color. More red than brown, and remnicent of some doppels I've had, as well as EKU28. There's a little bit of head on this, but not much. As time passes, it's completely gone. I know it's 14%, but it's totally gone inside of 10 minutes. Does have some sticky brandy-like qualities, though.
The smell is booze, malt, and marachino cherries. Not bad actually.
Flavors are complex, but everything comes back to SWEET. Likely the sweetest non-fruit beer I've ever had. Think of a really potent doppelbock with cherry and vanilla highlights. I really liked the flavor of this, and it's shockingly not overdone. I could handle 2 bottles no problem because that sweetness hides the alcohol burn pretty well. You can smell it, but it only creeps into the flavor slightly.
Mouthfeel is lowered because of the total lack of carbonation after 5-10 minutes. You can swirl it, shake it, whatever you want - it's GONE. At that point, it's kind of like a sweet, but very drinkable cognac.
Drinkability isn't bad for something of this strength.I could handle a second one with no issues. This is pretty far from sessionable, but it's still something I'd like more of.
This was bottled in '05...so I gues you milage might vary, but I liked this. My only knock on it is the lack of carbonation.

08-19-2006 15:57:11 | More by Domingo
stephendr

4.15/5  rDev +4%

Reddish amber hue-medium white head- soft nose of light apricot jam – chewy thick body, it tells you it is in your mouth – sweet tawny port taste – tender long lasting aftertaste Reddish amber hue-medium white head- soft nose of light apricot jam – chewy thick body, it tells you it is in your mouth – sweet tawny port taste – tender long lasting aftertaste

08-19-2006 06:02:30 | More by stephendr
johnniemarg

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip. 2005 bottling.

Color is golden orange with very little carbonation. No head whatsoever. Crystal clear.

The smell is very rich. Highly concentrated sugary malt and alcohol spice.

Woah. I have to disagree with the last reviewer that said the alcohol is well hidden. The taste is at first a sweet dark fruity malt, followed quickly by the alcohol. Something in the finish is earthy, like grape vines. As this quality is noticed at the same time as the alcohol, it tastes like grappa in the finish. From the smell I expected the malt to be stronger throughout the flavor profile than it actually is. I enjoy this, but the alcohol isn't well balanced. I would guess that age must mellow it out and allow some more complexity to come out.

Based on how concentrated this smelled, I expected it to be super thick. But I'd say this is only just on the heavier side of medium-bodied. I also expected this to be sticky on the lips, but that's not the case either. It's as if the high alcohol washed away the thick sugary malt that I had smelled and I know has to be in there. The alcohol provides a spicy burn in the mouth and it continues to burn all the way down. I was just about to post this and realized my tongue has gone numb, so there's that alcohol for you.

At 14%, this is hardly a session beer. It's certainly worth drinking, because you can see the potential that it has if allowed to age for a while. This is one of those beers I'd like to start buying 12 or so of each year and drinking one of each vintage each year.

08-06-2006 19:59:50 | More by johnniemarg
Graebner

Germany

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottled 2005 edition. The local beer store managed to get ahold of eight bottles. Oddly enough, I bought a Samichlaus tulip while in Orlando, having never had the beer, and found the beer here at home two weeks later. So, this Samichlaus is being sampled out of a Samichlaus tulip as well. How proper.

Pours a ruby-orange with a rich orange head that rapidly disappears completely. The liquid itself is transparent and has active bubble columns. Strongly resembles a red cider. Very beautiful beer, looks rich yet refined and elegant.

Initial nose is incredible malty sugar, I mean like smack you in the face malty sugar. Not cheap, though...it smells good. Also features huge alcohol and some spiciness. Hints of apple and pear and strawberry as well.

Taste is unique and incredible. Towering malts. I mean TOWERING...this is like creamy syrup it's so sweet, and yet not cloying. Major hints of rum-raisin spice cake, strong spicy and herbal notes, and a slight medicinal quality upon swallowing. Hops fight through briefly in the finish, and manage (together with the alcohols) to keep the palate pleasantly clean, much moreso that I would have expected from the initial onslaught of malty goodness. Other notable tastes are mostly describing the malty characters, and include orange-blossom honey, plum, carrot, and other fruit. Incredibly complex malts, moreso than any other beer I've tried, up to and including Stone RIS. Not alot of hops to speak of, but they're there, and they add to the beer.

Mouthfeel is slick, because of all the alcohol. Not cloying, which is surpising given the malt assault that is Samichlaus. Interestingly, the beer momentarily leaves my mouth feeling as it does after I've sipped whiskey; that oakey, ester-y, evaporated feeling. I attribute this to the alcohol and to the long aging time before bottling. Finishes really clean, and exhibits the drying quality of a scotch, as I said.

Overall this beer is dangerously drinkable. At 14% abv, even an 11.2oz bottle could be trouble, depending on hydration level and stomach contents. The alcohol, though evident, is not overpowering, and you could get sodded real fast if you weren't paying attention. Nonetheless, this is an amazing and complex beer...a pinnacle of achievement for Eggenberg and for brewing in general. I cannot wait to try the other three bottles in the coming years, as aging will only increase the splendor of this already majestic brew.

08-04-2006 22:20:53 | More by Graebner
KyleVick4

2.9/5  rDev -27.3%

12 oz 2004 bottled date.

A: Very little lacing, just looks thick when I swirl it... Much lighter than I imagined a light copper/dark golden color.

S: Brandy/white wine. Overwhelming alcohol esters follwed by a more delicate burnt malty orange smell? Very unique. Smell the sweetness of the malt for sure. A little to overpowering for a beer, needs to age or mellow out for sure.

T: Palate cleansing high alcohol. First impression is "wow this is gonna be a long bottle" kinda numbs the tounge when it hits it. After I get over the extreme alcoholic taste I do find pleasant oranges and maybe toffee/nutty undertones. Not a bad taste but the high alcohol content throws it waaaay out of skew. Will drink a water or two for sure to clean this taste out.

M: This is not its finest quality. The alcohol is so much all at once that it seems to raise the carbination. Wow, thick and syrupy all the way down. This is an extreme of an extreme for a beer. Maybe served in one of those little port glasses this would work fine, but 12 oz in a belgian tulip is just too much.

D: Not very drinkable, although the taste is strangly addicitive. The ultra heavy mouthfeel and crazy syrupyness of this beer really take off major points. Very small sips as if I was sampling a brandy or cognac, again this should not be presented in a 12oz bottle.

07-19-2006 05:12:40 | More by KyleVick4
joecast

Australia

bottled in 2004 edition. bought in the US which would explain the "malt liqupr" on the front label. also the words "the worlds most extraordinary beer"
wish i had another bottle to hang on to for a few more years. oh well, beer is for drinkin' and thats just what i'll do...

pours light amber, with hint of red/orange. very little head. in fact only a few colonies of bubbles, but they last as does a light collar around the edge of the glass. starts with a surprising amount of carbonation which settles considerably as the brew warms.

by smell alone, i wouldnt guess this was a beer. really sharp, almost medicinal, alcohol. this combines nicely with a concentrated fruit aroma. hard to pick them as its so strong, but probably cherries and prunes. hard to describe as its not like any beer i have tried.

well, tastes kind of like a concentrated syrup. has contrasting good and bad qualities, hence the 3. very complex and interesting, but the just-short-of-harsh alcohol prenence makes it tough to take. lots of sweet fruitiness, but its so strong that its really hard to enjoy.

extraordinary? cant argue with that. this has been really tough to drink. the only way i could see finishing a bottle of this is over about three to four hours, a sip at a time. unfortunately i dont have that kind of time tonight, and keeping this at a drinkable temp (about cellar or just a bit below for me) is not achievable.
i would love to see this come in those little airline alcohol bottles. what are they one or two fl. ounce? yeah, i would dig that.

07-12-2006 11:57:14 | More by joecast
jettjon

Highs: Flavor, well-integrated alcohol
Lows: None

From a vintage 2004 12 oz bottle it goes into the Cervoise goblet an attractive ruby-cranberry clear color with plenty of small bubbles; quite an attractive pour. Head is one finger that fades quickly to a sheet, retracting to a ring, and mild lacing. Dark fruit clearly evident on the nose, along with alcohol, yeast, and sweet malt. Dark fruit straight up front on the palate, followed up by yeast and again sweet malt. On first tasting, the 14% ABV asserts itself, but it’s not an assault, just a nudge which quickly fades to a warm glow. Finishes with a slight hop bitterness and more warm alcohol glow. Mouth is good, slightly syrupy, nice and slick. Drinkability is likewise good: it’s easy to drink the concoction, but be forewarned: the 14% ABV will kick you in the ass. It snuck up on me both times I tried it.

Overall: I guess this is the beer that finally made me stop making comments like “good within style” or “atypical of style.” Samichlaus is supposed to be a dopplebock, but to me it’s much more similar to a Strong Dark or a Quadrupel. Who cares? It’s a great beer. Highly recommended.

07-12-2006 01:28:18 | More by jettjon
plaztikjezuz

bought a bottle at world market in lansing, michigan ($4.99 for 12 oz)
pours a burnt siena with barley any head.
the aroma is rich, malty, candy sugar, alcohol.
the flavor is very rich, malty, noble hops, carmelized malt, cotton candy
this beer is thick, but on a cold night it will do you right.

07-10-2006 02:40:26 | More by plaztikjezuz
Toddv29424

District of Columbia

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Any beverage that claims to be "The World's Most Extraordinary Beer" desereves much closer scrutiny than most. Although, the picture of the brewery that BA has seems to be reason enough to earn its name. This beer pours a dark amber color, and smells like malt with a hint of alcohol. Taste is interesting, very heavy on the alcohol (not surprising with 14%). There is a syrupy consistancy as it goes down, and it coats the inside of your mouth for a while. I dont much like it, as the alcohol is very apparent in this, but then again it's not my fav kind of beer. For those who love BIG BEERS that you can only have one at a time, this is for you.

07-09-2006 23:56:46 | More by Toddv29424
expatsteve

Wisconsin

3.28/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance: Copper orance, with low/medium viscosity. Medium clarity, with nice honey hues. No head or lacings.

Aroma: Raisins, apple skins and malts. Some toffees, and strong booziness.

Taste: Booze upfront and in the aftertaste. Caramels, raisins, dried plums. Other than the booze, not particularly bitter - lighter lager finish. The alcohol warms the whole way down, but sits a little uneasy in the stomach. Nice back palate raisins and little cinnamon. As it warms, develops some final yeast notes.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, low carbonation. Alcohol detracts a little from the finish.

Drinkability: The flavor is pretty good, but really unbalanced for a bock beer. The alcohol flattens malt development and characteristic sweetness. A real winter warmer if that's your thing, but one was enough for me. The overemphasis on the alcohol probably means I won't be buying this again any time soom.

07-09-2006 23:06:21 | More by expatsteve
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

3.35/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a single at Woodman's West here in Madison. How could I pass up the self-proclaimed "World's Most Extraordinary Beer"? This was bottled in 2004.

Pours an attractive enough fiery amber with nary a head - not surprising at 14%. Nose is slightly metallic upfront, with notes of apple skins/cider, caramel and a whole lot of booze. Taste is intensely potent on the forepalate - supersweet, vinous, and caramel malt finishing with nothing but hangover-worthy booze. Mouthfeel is thick, rich and slick with medium carbonation. So thick that the flavor lingers in your mouth indefinitely. This is an intense beer, but it lacks any semblance of subltety or balance, even as it warms - just a sugar/booze bomb. Glad I tried it, but I don't see myself seeking it out again.

07-08-2006 19:08:23 | More by Golden2wenty1
mynie

Indiana

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

On-tap at the Lava Lounge in Waterloo, Iowa.

Pours dark cherrywood red, like well polished furniture. There's a surprising head, to start, but it fades away quickly.

Smells wonderfully complex. Imitation vanilla extract mixed with bock malt, milk chocolate, alcohol, and black licorice.

Doesn't taste as complex, as its strength works somewhat to its detriment. It tastes like fiery chocolate and smooth bock caramel. Very sweet. No real stages, not much complexity. There's an unpleasant kick of sour alcohol near the back, too.

The body is incredibly smooth, which helps make the sweetness tolerable. Makes you think you're having some kind of fancy ice cream.

Doesn't drink too easy, but not particularly difficult. The bartender lady made me try a sample before she poured a full glass, to make sure I didn't send it back. Must not be too popular. Well, I finished it, mofo! Woot woot! Oh, hold up where am I? Dude, where--where am I?

06-30-2006 03:03:00 | More by mynie
edchicma

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap at the Dirty Truth. A rich cherry pour with very little head. Smell is great! It's a combination of cherries, molasses and brandy! Taste follows suit....cherries, molasses, with a great slightly dry hop finish. Extremely smooth and drinkable. Alcohol is high but not overly pronounced. A great, well-crafted brew!

06-26-2006 16:19:20 | More by edchicma
Erdinger2003

Iowa

4.63/5  rDev +16%

It didn't pour much head and it disapears quickly along with the lacing. The color is like a dark brown gold...something like a dark A and W cream soda.

Smell is sweet peppermint with a heavy dar fruit such as plum and a slight fig. Slightly hopped, it gives off the fruit flavors.

It has a rich taste of sweet burnt sugar and peppermint that melt in your mouth leaving a wonderful taste behind that's comforting. It even contrastes well with the chips and salsa I had it is that sweet, it actually spiced up the beer in a good way.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and a little syrupy. Very nice on the palate, slightly refreshing and still leaves something behind to enjoy.

This beer is extremely drinkable in all weather in my opinion, but most people think it must be a Christmas seasonal. It would be good for a Christmas warmer, but I still like it all times of the year.

06-21-2006 04:25:01 | More by Erdinger2003
Conrad

Ontario (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The label says it's only bottled on 6 December. I had one from the 2004 batch, and this one from 2005. Advertises as "the strongest lager beer in the world", and at 14% ABV, it could very well be.
Short and to the point:
A: Rich copper colour. No head
S: Big on the smell. It hits you as soon as it touches the glass. Strong sweet fruit flavours, cane sugar, candy, hops, alcohol.
T: Extremely malty sweet. Complex flavours come through as the beer warms in the glass.
M: Syrupy, low carbonation. A little too thick for a lager.
D: No. This is not a beer for casually chugging, or as a session beer. Use it as a dessert beer or with hardy robust dishes, or as a digestif. This was an interesting beer experience, but now I can say been there, done that, and won't do it again

06-20-2006 17:24:09 | More by Conrad