Samichlaus Classic Bier - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Samichlaus Classic BierSamichlaus Classic Bier

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  14.00% ABV

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samichlaus Classic Bier Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

On tap at Brouwer's cafe in Seattle. Main differences I noted between the draft version and the bottle I reviewed earlier is that the mouthfeel is improved out of the tap...some of the overly syrupy texture gives way to a tiny bit of carbonation that makes this a bit more drinkable.

masikon, Jan 15, 2006

My bottle of Samichlaus Bier was from 2004. It poured a copper color with a half inch , quickly disipating head. The aroma is definitely unique . Smells of sweet sherry and candy ,fruits, also alcohol. Very different. Very sweet , syrupy ,fruity, malty taste as well as strong alcohol burn in the throat and nostrils. Mouthfeel is of light syrup. This is one rare tasting brew. Totally unique.
(edit)
Just stood up after drinking this one... Woah , you can feel the 14% ABV and im pretty sure i felt the alcohol move around in my stomach. lol.

Byeast, Jan 12, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +15.3%

This beer poured a root beer brown with cherry highlights with whips of white head.

The smell is dominated by dark fruits with bits of malty banana and a smooth nip of alcohol.

The flavor begins with cane sugar and green grape sweetness, then creamy dark fruits, followed by sour and bitter coffee and dark chocolate, concluding with a splash of warming alcohol that makes my tongue tingle. This is sticky sweet, but not offensively so as the finish does release a bit of the sweetness.

The mouth feel is huge in body with a nice light carbonation.

While drinking this, my friend and I coined the phrase “self regulating sipper.” There is just no way that this beer can be taken quickly. This is an awesome beer, but I don’t think I could ever have more than one.

DarkerTheBetter, Jan 10, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled in 2004.

Poured straight down into the snifter, and still no head can be roused. The body is brandy colored with a warm camp fire glow.
The nose is warm and sweet.
Very warm in the mouth, and an exhale through the nose ignites a certain effervescence in the nostrils. Behind the hot alcohol and sweet, thick malt, lies a slightly citrus orange.
There's a bit of a nip from the alcohol, but it's welcome at the very end of the day. As the bottle claims, it is quite an extraordinary beer.

delicious, Jan 03, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -29.8%

Bottled in 2004.

By definition, the dopplebock only goes to 9%, and this is nothing like other Dopplebocks. Closer to an Eisbock... but obviously brewed differently. More of a high-end malt liqour! Also, it's Austrian... the Germans haven't occupied them for quite some time.

I think this should definitely be a "Euro Strong Lager".
Difficult to compare within style.

A: Copper in colour, very clear. Poors with a little head, but it quickly dissipates, without leaving any lace.

S: Malty, sherry-like, sweet candy. Unlike anything else.

T: Alcohol is quite assertive. Some sweet, caramel-like flavour. It's like candy (like artificial, strawberry cotton-candy), with LOTS of alcohol. Truly unique, but it'd be a little more pleasurable if it was a little less harsh.

<Ralph Wiggum Voice> It tastes like burning! </Ralph Wiggum Voice>

M: Moderate body, light carbonation, dry finish.

D: Approachable, but its strength is inhibitive.

Derek, Dec 29, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -42.4%

this beer is the 6 december 2004 bottling.

i'm not sure i see how this beer is true to the style if general ABV is 6.5 to 9.0...it was a gorgeous pour but smell and taste are sickengly sweet, alcoholic burn, and candy fumes. one taste is one-dimensionally interesting...not balanced or full-bodied, you just want to swallow it as quickly as possible.

it was worth trying this bad boy to get an idea for it but i like a beer to exhibit some complexity or interesting notes...the world's strangest beer is tough to get down...maybe longer aging makes for a more well-rounded experience? not recommended...

BamaScholar, Dec 23, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +9%

Wow, this beer pours a thick amber and, suprisingly, with a pretty thick head! The tiny bubbles swirl in the bottom of my glass, desperately trying to navigate through the thick malt.
I can relate. Wow, where to begin describing the smell and taste of this beer . . . It is similar to Korbinian in many ways, except for that the strong alcohol punch at the end. . . but, there is so much more. Like the bubbles, my nose and tongue twist about this beer, swishing it in my mouth in a vain attempt to understand it. Perhaps since it is merely the 2004 brew it is too young to be classified, the flavours have not matured enough to really come into their own so, instead, they gang up together and pummel your tastebuds.
Good stuff. Wow.
Not a simple beer by any means, but this guy still gets my thumbs up. Wow.
Toffee and coffee? Yeah, they're there. Figs? I can't even describe it, words don't do it justice . . .

shbobdb, Dec 17, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -42.4%

The world's strongets lager? Well you have to taste it. Iit poured with very little foam and a red amber color. The smell was of fruits and candy. It tasted very sweet and fruity, almost like some kind of thin syrup. An alcohol burn in the throat. This beer needs the right man/woman to be appreciated. I'm sorry but I couldn't finish it. If they changed the name into something like Rambo 10 000 it would be a big seller in India!

JanM, Dec 13, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured a mudium reddish color with sparse head. Smell is very strong on malt with dark fruit(figs, prunes) also evident. Almost a whiskey-like smell. Taste is very strong on malt, with the alcohol showing its massive presence. Strong alcohol bite. Finish is also very strong on alcohol. Not my type of beer.

tgbljb, Dec 12, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: a medium brown with red tints. poured with very little head but then a small ring formed from the constant flow of carbonation to the top

Smell: you can smell the alcohol in this one. also has a very sweet smell to it

Taste: Now that is a strong beer. alcohol with some fruity sweetness to it. definitely a sipping beer.

over all i would say it was nice to try but i will not be getting another one of these in the future.

redteg02, Dec 10, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance: Dark red to amber color, head is present though disappears almost instantly but leaving a solid lacing which remains present throughout.
Smell: Sweet, caramel, hints of plum and cherry
Taste: Taste of fruits and there is definately a heavy malt presence noticeable.
Mouthfeel: Heavy, smooth, warms the throat, like a tasty syrup almost.
Drinkability: I would love to say I could drink more of this as it is very good, however, at 14% I should probably not.

badbeer, Dec 06, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

04 vrelease, bottled in 03. Thanks Gabe.

This beauty pours a bright coppery orange with a small but dense beige head that retains too well for a 14% beer. It radiates warmpth just sitting there!

Aroma is huge, reaching my nostrils the moment it's poured. A cornucopia of fruit, sweet sherry, delicate spices, candy-like malts, and a touch of flowery hops. The high alcohol content makes itself known with a slight burn.

Flavor is just amazing. I've never tasted a beer like this before. It's sweet, with golden harvest fruits, berries, honey, a sweet nutty note, and booze-soaked cake. It almost reminds me of a good Sherry or Amontillado. Perfect as a dessert sipper. Alcohol surprisingly well concealed, until it reaches my belly, which warms considerably.

Body is big, slick, and almost syruppy. Coats your palate with each sip. Very good and worthy of praise, but be careful. One bottle is enough to split 3 ways.

AlexJ, Dec 04, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Poured initially a clear orangish red color with a small 1/4" head after a pretty aggressive pour. The head was gone within the minute to leave a small cap on the beer maintained by some bubbles rising slowly through the liquid.

Aroma: Super rich malt and spices along with some darker fruits like plums in particular. There is some citrus fruit in here also, I believe that it is grapefruit. There may actually be a hint of Saaz lurking in here also.

Taste: The flavor hits you like a train! It just keeps coming. I initially get a whole bunch of the sweet malt that somehow leads into a very wine-line body. There is plenty of sweetness in here, but it somehow manages to finish rather dry with a pronounced alcoholic burn in the back of the throat that lasts for quite some time. The mouthfeel is saved by the fact that it is pretty well attenuated for as strong as it is.

Opinion: This is as similar to a wine as a beer. It is very assertive and aggressive on the palate. It is a whole lot different if you are talking about traditional DoppelBocks. This ain't no Celebrator, and has very few Melanoidins or other rich malt flavors. Its calling card is as much alcohol produced esters as anything. It is a world class beer, and one to be commended...for managing to get a Lager yeast that high in alcohol if nothing else.

SkeeterHawk, Dec 02, 2005
3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

I ordered this at Cafe Amsterdam, the day after Thanksgiving, after having fallen down in the parking lot on my way in thanks to a fresh layer of snow over a very icy parking lot. By the way, I also fell on the way out, you'd think I'd have learned.

2004 at 15%
Appearance was a strawberry-copper hue, not much head, minimal lacing.
The aroma got me at the first sniff. Alcohol up front, followed by a sweetness, like candy. A recognized the fruitness as a strawberry scent.
The taste was almost identical to the smell. Alcohol up front, cognac-like. I'm reminded of the all-day suckers that we used to get trick-or-treating as kids in Maine, imagine a sweet candy lollipop that has been formed by being put in buttered muffin tins. Yes, it's all there, the slight butter taste followed by candy sugar and a hidden bit of strawberry.
Mouthfeel is definitely thick and clinging to the tongue, coats the entire mouth. Much like a medicinal syrup.

I enjoyed it, it's unlike any other doppelbock I've had. I was lost in trying to discover more traditional malt flavors and I found no hops at all. Just the same I believe this to be a fine brew. I expected the alcohol to be un front, in your face at 15%, but it wasn't as harsh as I expected.

juzy, Nov 29, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a light coppery amber color. Head starts out decent but quickly disipates to a thin ring with no lacing.

Smell is of sweet dark fruit and alcohol.

Flavor is intense. Much like the smell, it is fruity with molasses and plenty of warming alcohol. I also detect brown sugar and 'spices'.

Mouthfeel is thick and surupy.

I really enjoyed this unusual beer. I will definitely drink more of this. I have heard this beer being compared to a dopplebock, but it is much more intense. I have found this brew to be dangerously easy to drink. Very nice.

Blakaeris, Nov 18, 2005
2.33/5  rDev -41.6%

Bottled in 2004

Well I finally came around to drinking the Samichlaus I'd kept for heck, months now (I'm not too big at cellaring) on one of my need-a-beer moments. I though about saving it til christmas so to say precisely 2 years later, but now I'm glad I didn't give it any more attention otherwise I would've been more disappointed.

I poured into my Duvel tulip which is my reference glass for body and the ever important head. but this was rather flat, if only a small film covering the fluid that didn't make it the most attractive beer. but the looks of it were deep and intriguing, unlike the darkness of dark belgian beers, this had some germanic element. it looked like syrup too, jiggled around the glass in a more viscous-than-watery manner (sort of like whisky). that got my attention.

The smell wasn't fantastic or abundant. It was very very buttery as I can recall the pattern, with an excessively strong alcohol feel combined with the malty sweetness. yes, someone had spiked the syrup on my waffles, the smell was very much it.

Then came the cunning disappointment. Now I've tried a few doppelbocks but I'm not an expert. I can honestly claim to liking most of them, which are moderately sweet. but this was worse than coke. it was terribly sweet and unbalanced, the alcohol also making a brutal presence to tame the nose that was already shocked with so much sugar. That was all that could be tasted. no bitterness. The mouthfeel, quite literally that stinging feel on the pharyngeal mucus you get when you drink cheap liqueurish, isn't particularly something I'd recommend.

And of course, the drinkability of a 14% bomb that doesn't even hide the alcohol right certainly drops low on my book as well. plus, who'd be up for buying and drinking more than one of these? stock up on aunt jemina and cheap rum instead.

Andreji, Nov 12, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Had this on tap last evening over at Mahars, from what I w as told it was 2004 vintage. Brew was poured to a brown color with a lot of red like highlights. Brew had no head what so ever. The aroma is more or less of alcohol with dark fruits. Not a bad smelling brew. The taste reminds me a bit of cold medicine with its alcohol taste dominating and the fruit flavors complementing it. I am not really able to pick much more up from the taste as this brew acts like syrup and really coats the mouth and the above stated flavors seem to stay with me even after I have finished the brew! Not a bad brew, not my favorite but would get it again.

Stimack, Nov 05, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +17.8%

Bottle says Bottled in 2004 - so with the 10 month aging prior to bottling I suppose this is about 2 years old from actual brewing date.

I also would not call this a doppelbock... perhaps more of an eisbock, though I do not know if it is ever frozen.

Poured from the bottle an coppery amber color; significant tight white head that has since gone down to about 1-finger in thickness and held.

Smells extremely sweet, very much like candy or some sort of sugary syrup. Similar to some Belgians I've head, but much more pronounced.

The flavor is quite complex - almost a cherry-like fruitiness with hints of honey and hops, plus quite a bit of sweet.... something. Finishes with an aftertaste of alcohol. Feels quite warm after swallowing, like a fine after dinner drink.

Full, sweet, syrup-like mouthfeel.

What a fantastic, unique beer. Very drinkable for 1... although it seems like it should take a good hour to drink. Almost like a wine. I cannot imagine drinking it as I would a typical lager - one of these is enough for a night (14% abv).

jmc44, Oct 25, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -1%

One of the new beers in stock at John's Grocery. Very interesting, but I don't think it's for me. Pours to a clear amber red with several streams of fine carbonation bubbles rushing to the surface. The head is small and fizzy at first, but in about 20 seconds it ceases to exist. Looks very intriguing.

The smell is great as well.Very sweet, like hard candy. Very belgian-like. I don't see how this is a doppelbock as opposed to an eisbock. Very intense fruity esters going on with some smooth maple syrup, vanilla and boozy aromas. Cuts through the sinuses like a knife, as after some intense sniffing my nose is starting to drip.

The taste is good. Has a bold berry fruitiness with a lot of residual sugars. Overwhelming at first, but begins to smooth out as it warms up, and as you warm up to it. Some bourbon, maple syrup, and vanilla in the finish, but the alcohol is much more smooth than I was expecting.

The mouthfeel is very syrupy and very intensely sweet. Has a dry ethanol burn in the finish. Has a bit of a pucker factor for a while, until your tongue gets used to the intensity. Towards the end, it almost becomes a task to put the syrup past the lips.

Drinkability is only average. I surely wouldn't want another right now, and I think my tongue has had enough of this syrup to last me quite a while until I may try it again. Either way, I am glad to have at least tried this, "World's Most Extraordinary Beer," despite any disagreements I may have with the statement on the label.

neonbrown82, Oct 19, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance – Superb light-amber, crystal clear brew with a crisp 1 finger head that cannot be retained with its high alcohol content. Zero lacing.

Smell – maple syrup, robust malts, cherries, cloves, European holiday spices, cranberries are just some of the esters and aromas that burst forth from this strong lager.

Taste – The high alcohol content of this beer gives its malts almost port-like characteristics. Deep almondy-sweet cherry malts abound with hints of hops providing slight bitterness. Honey flavors are detectable. What a gigantic beer!

Mouthfeel – syrupy and full, sweet and with a long smooth finish that is somewhat tempered by the warming characteristics of the alcohol.

Drinkability – It’s almost unfair to rate the drinkability of this beer. It’s hard to have too many of these without being overly inebriated. It sure is easy, maybe too easy, to finish a single beer.

xoqx, Oct 17, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +21.1%

2008 Vintage
Reviewed: 4 Aug 10

Poured into a chalice a very nice clean/clear amberish/grape color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy/fast off-white head, with some oil slicks left behind. The nose is malty, sweet, grapey, with some slight caramel. The taste is malty, very sweet, grapey note. Medium body, ABV is hidden very well. Very drinkable, WOW! What a brew. Holds up very well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

2006 Vintage

Been sitting on this bottle for about close to 3 years. Also my last bottle of this vintage. Have a bottle of 2008 that I've been sitting on for close to 2 years.

Poured into a chalice a very nice clean/clear amberish/grape color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy/fast off-white head, with some oil slicks left behind. The nose is malty, sweet, grapey, with some slight caramel. The taste is malty, very sweet, grapey note. Medium body, ABV is hidden very well with this vintage (for this age). Very drinkable, WOW! What a brew. Holds up very well. Got to pick-up some more of the current vintage, which I suppose is 2008, but we'll see. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

2004 Vintage

I don't know why this is considered a doppelbock, it's nothing like Celebrator or Aventius. Pours a orangy/golden color, nice carbonation, real nice head. Lacing was like a small head thorough out the whole drink. This brew is very sweet, it's nothing like a doppelbock, nothing. Medium body. Alcohol was present through out the whole session. Very drinkable, but at 14% watch out.

Wasatch, Oct 08, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Maple syrup in appearance. Noooo head to speak of. Smells sweet and alcoholic... alcohol soaked fruits to the point where they're almost sour. Alcoholic raisins. Something about the experience reminds me of ingesting cough syrup; thick yet watery.
Relatively deceptive alcohol taste for something that is 14% strong.
This made for mostly a pleasant experience though I had a hard time getting through half a bottle. Very interesting for a doppelbock though seemingly not too true to style.
The world's most extraordinary beer this is not (as the label claims) but it's easily worth a go.

ommegangpbr, Oct 07, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a deep clear amber with minimal head/ carbonation. The smell is a musky deep grainy one. Quite a bit of sweetness with a surprising amount of candied/ dried fruit. VERY warming on the waw down. Like some kind of liquer. can't say I've had anything quite like it. Like a clean malt candy. Feels actually nice and slick in the mouth. This clearly is an apertif, meant for a long slow sipping....

amicar, Oct 05, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

2004 vintage

Pours an amber with a flash of a head that dissapears quickly. Quite vinuous in appearance, leaves spotty lace with legs that drizzle down the glass.

Sweet malt aroma is quite prominant, alcohol is also present in the nose, but not medicinal at all, very inviting.

Slight malt character builds up into a full blown syrup and caramel palate obliterating smash. Because of the intense sweetness the fruit character is hard to discern, I would say grapes, raisins, and blackberries. No balancing bitterness at all, rather a slick warming alcohol to finish it out. Just on the verge of being cloying.

Syrupy mouthfeel with the prickles of carbonation to keep it in check.

This is a dessert beer, drink it at the end of a meal, and slowly! I was impressed at the worlds strongest lager.

beersarang, Sep 18, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +22.3%

Bless you Saint Arnold for bringing back Samichlaus after a three year hiatus! Christmas is just around the corner, but it's never to early to enjoy some yuletide spirit and have some of Santa Claus' Magic Potion. WARNING! BIG BEER AHEAD: Traditional Swiss caution dictated that Samichlaus be served like a shot in a pre-warmed earthen mini-krug. Since, "we're not in Kansas anymore", I'm going to pour the whole bottle into a traditional bock stemmed-tumbler. Now that we've decided upon an appropriate glass, let's check on the serving temperature. 48F...perfect!

The Austrian edition (2002) of Samichlaus pours up short and quick with a light zesty carbonation. The gorgeous chestnut-amber hued color is offset by a whitish head that fades quickly. The color is reminiscent of pancake syrup, but seems lighter than its Swiss ancestry? Fred Eckhardt believes one can learn a lot from a beer by just listening to it. If that's true, then this one says, "I'm gentle, but strong!".

The big nose is not as malt accenuated as one would believe in such a high gravity (1.110; 25.9P) beer. There is ample malt character, but it's "alive" with a perfumey, almost winey character. The abundant aromas come with some estery hints e.g. sweet cordial cherries, lemon pound cake, King's bread and Asbach Uralt brandy notes come to mind. The first sip quickly reveals the power that this super strong lager posseses. The flavor starts off a little cloying, but the hops eventually catch up at the end to add a harmonious balance.

The malt flavors are rich & satisifying, but with a slightly grainy-nutty edge. The finish is long & sweet with a pleasant rum-laced kick. The body is full with a very creamy dessert texture. This beer runs a gamut of complex aromas & flavors. Truly outstanding! Enjoy this one cautiously by itself after dinner or paired with a piece of classic chocolate cake or rich chocolate mousse. Das starkste Bier der Welt...I'LL BE BACK!

CHEERS! Beertracker