Samichlaus Classic Bier - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Samichlaus Classic BierSamichlaus Classic Bier

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  14.00% ABV

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samichlaus Classic Bier Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

04 vrelease, bottled in 03. Thanks Gabe.

This beauty pours a bright coppery orange with a small but dense beige head that retains too well for a 14% beer. It radiates warmpth just sitting there!

Aroma is huge, reaching my nostrils the moment it's poured. A cornucopia of fruit, sweet sherry, delicate spices, candy-like malts, and a touch of flowery hops. The high alcohol content makes itself known with a slight burn.

Flavor is just amazing. I've never tasted a beer like this before. It's sweet, with golden harvest fruits, berries, honey, a sweet nutty note, and booze-soaked cake. It almost reminds me of a good Sherry or Amontillado. Perfect as a dessert sipper. Alcohol surprisingly well concealed, until it reaches my belly, which warms considerably.

Body is big, slick, and almost syruppy. Coats your palate with each sip. Very good and worthy of praise, but be careful. One bottle is enough to split 3 ways.

AlexJ, Dec 04, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Poured initially a clear orangish red color with a small 1/4" head after a pretty aggressive pour. The head was gone within the minute to leave a small cap on the beer maintained by some bubbles rising slowly through the liquid.

Aroma: Super rich malt and spices along with some darker fruits like plums in particular. There is some citrus fruit in here also, I believe that it is grapefruit. There may actually be a hint of Saaz lurking in here also.

Taste: The flavor hits you like a train! It just keeps coming. I initially get a whole bunch of the sweet malt that somehow leads into a very wine-line body. There is plenty of sweetness in here, but it somehow manages to finish rather dry with a pronounced alcoholic burn in the back of the throat that lasts for quite some time. The mouthfeel is saved by the fact that it is pretty well attenuated for as strong as it is.

Opinion: This is as similar to a wine as a beer. It is very assertive and aggressive on the palate. It is a whole lot different if you are talking about traditional DoppelBocks. This ain't no Celebrator, and has very few Melanoidins or other rich malt flavors. Its calling card is as much alcohol produced esters as anything. It is a world class beer, and one to be commended...for managing to get a Lager yeast that high in alcohol if nothing else.

SkeeterHawk, Dec 02, 2005
3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

I ordered this at Cafe Amsterdam, the day after Thanksgiving, after having fallen down in the parking lot on my way in thanks to a fresh layer of snow over a very icy parking lot. By the way, I also fell on the way out, you'd think I'd have learned.

2004 at 15%
Appearance was a strawberry-copper hue, not much head, minimal lacing.
The aroma got me at the first sniff. Alcohol up front, followed by a sweetness, like candy. A recognized the fruitness as a strawberry scent.
The taste was almost identical to the smell. Alcohol up front, cognac-like. I'm reminded of the all-day suckers that we used to get trick-or-treating as kids in Maine, imagine a sweet candy lollipop that has been formed by being put in buttered muffin tins. Yes, it's all there, the slight butter taste followed by candy sugar and a hidden bit of strawberry.
Mouthfeel is definitely thick and clinging to the tongue, coats the entire mouth. Much like a medicinal syrup.

I enjoyed it, it's unlike any other doppelbock I've had. I was lost in trying to discover more traditional malt flavors and I found no hops at all. Just the same I believe this to be a fine brew. I expected the alcohol to be un front, in your face at 15%, but it wasn't as harsh as I expected.

juzy, Nov 29, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a light coppery amber color. Head starts out decent but quickly disipates to a thin ring with no lacing.

Smell is of sweet dark fruit and alcohol.

Flavor is intense. Much like the smell, it is fruity with molasses and plenty of warming alcohol. I also detect brown sugar and 'spices'.

Mouthfeel is thick and surupy.

I really enjoyed this unusual beer. I will definitely drink more of this. I have heard this beer being compared to a dopplebock, but it is much more intense. I have found this brew to be dangerously easy to drink. Very nice.

Blakaeris, Nov 18, 2005
2.33/5  rDev -41.6%

Bottled in 2004

Well I finally came around to drinking the Samichlaus I'd kept for heck, months now (I'm not too big at cellaring) on one of my need-a-beer moments. I though about saving it til christmas so to say precisely 2 years later, but now I'm glad I didn't give it any more attention otherwise I would've been more disappointed.

I poured into my Duvel tulip which is my reference glass for body and the ever important head. but this was rather flat, if only a small film covering the fluid that didn't make it the most attractive beer. but the looks of it were deep and intriguing, unlike the darkness of dark belgian beers, this had some germanic element. it looked like syrup too, jiggled around the glass in a more viscous-than-watery manner (sort of like whisky). that got my attention.

The smell wasn't fantastic or abundant. It was very very buttery as I can recall the pattern, with an excessively strong alcohol feel combined with the malty sweetness. yes, someone had spiked the syrup on my waffles, the smell was very much it.

Then came the cunning disappointment. Now I've tried a few doppelbocks but I'm not an expert. I can honestly claim to liking most of them, which are moderately sweet. but this was worse than coke. it was terribly sweet and unbalanced, the alcohol also making a brutal presence to tame the nose that was already shocked with so much sugar. That was all that could be tasted. no bitterness. The mouthfeel, quite literally that stinging feel on the pharyngeal mucus you get when you drink cheap liqueurish, isn't particularly something I'd recommend.

And of course, the drinkability of a 14% bomb that doesn't even hide the alcohol right certainly drops low on my book as well. plus, who'd be up for buying and drinking more than one of these? stock up on aunt jemina and cheap rum instead.

Andreji, Nov 12, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Had this on tap last evening over at Mahars, from what I w as told it was 2004 vintage. Brew was poured to a brown color with a lot of red like highlights. Brew had no head what so ever. The aroma is more or less of alcohol with dark fruits. Not a bad smelling brew. The taste reminds me a bit of cold medicine with its alcohol taste dominating and the fruit flavors complementing it. I am not really able to pick much more up from the taste as this brew acts like syrup and really coats the mouth and the above stated flavors seem to stay with me even after I have finished the brew! Not a bad brew, not my favorite but would get it again.

Stimack, Nov 05, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +17.8%

Bottle says Bottled in 2004 - so with the 10 month aging prior to bottling I suppose this is about 2 years old from actual brewing date.

I also would not call this a doppelbock... perhaps more of an eisbock, though I do not know if it is ever frozen.

Poured from the bottle an coppery amber color; significant tight white head that has since gone down to about 1-finger in thickness and held.

Smells extremely sweet, very much like candy or some sort of sugary syrup. Similar to some Belgians I've head, but much more pronounced.

The flavor is quite complex - almost a cherry-like fruitiness with hints of honey and hops, plus quite a bit of sweet.... something. Finishes with an aftertaste of alcohol. Feels quite warm after swallowing, like a fine after dinner drink.

Full, sweet, syrup-like mouthfeel.

What a fantastic, unique beer. Very drinkable for 1... although it seems like it should take a good hour to drink. Almost like a wine. I cannot imagine drinking it as I would a typical lager - one of these is enough for a night (14% abv).

jmc44, Oct 25, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -1%

One of the new beers in stock at John's Grocery. Very interesting, but I don't think it's for me. Pours to a clear amber red with several streams of fine carbonation bubbles rushing to the surface. The head is small and fizzy at first, but in about 20 seconds it ceases to exist. Looks very intriguing.

The smell is great as well.Very sweet, like hard candy. Very belgian-like. I don't see how this is a doppelbock as opposed to an eisbock. Very intense fruity esters going on with some smooth maple syrup, vanilla and boozy aromas. Cuts through the sinuses like a knife, as after some intense sniffing my nose is starting to drip.

The taste is good. Has a bold berry fruitiness with a lot of residual sugars. Overwhelming at first, but begins to smooth out as it warms up, and as you warm up to it. Some bourbon, maple syrup, and vanilla in the finish, but the alcohol is much more smooth than I was expecting.

The mouthfeel is very syrupy and very intensely sweet. Has a dry ethanol burn in the finish. Has a bit of a pucker factor for a while, until your tongue gets used to the intensity. Towards the end, it almost becomes a task to put the syrup past the lips.

Drinkability is only average. I surely wouldn't want another right now, and I think my tongue has had enough of this syrup to last me quite a while until I may try it again. Either way, I am glad to have at least tried this, "World's Most Extraordinary Beer," despite any disagreements I may have with the statement on the label.

neonbrown82, Oct 19, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance – Superb light-amber, crystal clear brew with a crisp 1 finger head that cannot be retained with its high alcohol content. Zero lacing.

Smell – maple syrup, robust malts, cherries, cloves, European holiday spices, cranberries are just some of the esters and aromas that burst forth from this strong lager.

Taste – The high alcohol content of this beer gives its malts almost port-like characteristics. Deep almondy-sweet cherry malts abound with hints of hops providing slight bitterness. Honey flavors are detectable. What a gigantic beer!

Mouthfeel – syrupy and full, sweet and with a long smooth finish that is somewhat tempered by the warming characteristics of the alcohol.

Drinkability – It’s almost unfair to rate the drinkability of this beer. It’s hard to have too many of these without being overly inebriated. It sure is easy, maybe too easy, to finish a single beer.

xoqx, Oct 17, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +21.1%

2008 Vintage
Reviewed: 4 Aug 10

Poured into a chalice a very nice clean/clear amberish/grape color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy/fast off-white head, with some oil slicks left behind. The nose is malty, sweet, grapey, with some slight caramel. The taste is malty, very sweet, grapey note. Medium body, ABV is hidden very well. Very drinkable, WOW! What a brew. Holds up very well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

2006 Vintage

Been sitting on this bottle for about close to 3 years. Also my last bottle of this vintage. Have a bottle of 2008 that I've been sitting on for close to 2 years.

Poured into a chalice a very nice clean/clear amberish/grape color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy/fast off-white head, with some oil slicks left behind. The nose is malty, sweet, grapey, with some slight caramel. The taste is malty, very sweet, grapey note. Medium body, ABV is hidden very well with this vintage (for this age). Very drinkable, WOW! What a brew. Holds up very well. Got to pick-up some more of the current vintage, which I suppose is 2008, but we'll see. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

2004 Vintage

I don't know why this is considered a doppelbock, it's nothing like Celebrator or Aventius. Pours a orangy/golden color, nice carbonation, real nice head. Lacing was like a small head thorough out the whole drink. This brew is very sweet, it's nothing like a doppelbock, nothing. Medium body. Alcohol was present through out the whole session. Very drinkable, but at 14% watch out.

Wasatch, Oct 08, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Maple syrup in appearance. Noooo head to speak of. Smells sweet and alcoholic... alcohol soaked fruits to the point where they're almost sour. Alcoholic raisins. Something about the experience reminds me of ingesting cough syrup; thick yet watery.
Relatively deceptive alcohol taste for something that is 14% strong.
This made for mostly a pleasant experience though I had a hard time getting through half a bottle. Very interesting for a doppelbock though seemingly not too true to style.
The world's most extraordinary beer this is not (as the label claims) but it's easily worth a go.

ommegangpbr, Oct 07, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a deep clear amber with minimal head/ carbonation. The smell is a musky deep grainy one. Quite a bit of sweetness with a surprising amount of candied/ dried fruit. VERY warming on the waw down. Like some kind of liquer. can't say I've had anything quite like it. Like a clean malt candy. Feels actually nice and slick in the mouth. This clearly is an apertif, meant for a long slow sipping....

amicar, Oct 05, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

2004 vintage

Pours an amber with a flash of a head that dissapears quickly. Quite vinuous in appearance, leaves spotty lace with legs that drizzle down the glass.

Sweet malt aroma is quite prominant, alcohol is also present in the nose, but not medicinal at all, very inviting.

Slight malt character builds up into a full blown syrup and caramel palate obliterating smash. Because of the intense sweetness the fruit character is hard to discern, I would say grapes, raisins, and blackberries. No balancing bitterness at all, rather a slick warming alcohol to finish it out. Just on the verge of being cloying.

Syrupy mouthfeel with the prickles of carbonation to keep it in check.

This is a dessert beer, drink it at the end of a meal, and slowly! I was impressed at the worlds strongest lager.

beersarang, Sep 18, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +22.3%

Bless you Saint Arnold for bringing back Samichlaus after a three year hiatus! Christmas is just around the corner, but it's never to early to enjoy some yuletide spirit and have some of Santa Claus' Magic Potion. WARNING! BIG BEER AHEAD: Traditional Swiss caution dictated that Samichlaus be served like a shot in a pre-warmed earthen mini-krug. Since, "we're not in Kansas anymore", I'm going to pour the whole bottle into a traditional bock stemmed-tumbler. Now that we've decided upon an appropriate glass, let's check on the serving temperature. 48F...perfect!

The Austrian edition (2002) of Samichlaus pours up short and quick with a light zesty carbonation. The gorgeous chestnut-amber hued color is offset by a whitish head that fades quickly. The color is reminiscent of pancake syrup, but seems lighter than its Swiss ancestry? Fred Eckhardt believes one can learn a lot from a beer by just listening to it. If that's true, then this one says, "I'm gentle, but strong!".

The big nose is not as malt accenuated as one would believe in such a high gravity (1.110; 25.9P) beer. There is ample malt character, but it's "alive" with a perfumey, almost winey character. The abundant aromas come with some estery hints e.g. sweet cordial cherries, lemon pound cake, King's bread and Asbach Uralt brandy notes come to mind. The first sip quickly reveals the power that this super strong lager posseses. The flavor starts off a little cloying, but the hops eventually catch up at the end to add a harmonious balance.

The malt flavors are rich & satisifying, but with a slightly grainy-nutty edge. The finish is long & sweet with a pleasant rum-laced kick. The body is full with a very creamy dessert texture. This beer runs a gamut of complex aromas & flavors. Truly outstanding! Enjoy this one cautiously by itself after dinner or paired with a piece of classic chocolate cake or rich chocolate mousse. Das starkste Bier der Welt...I'LL BE BACK!

CHEERS! Beertracker

Beertracker, Sep 06, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2004 version. The self proclaimed "world's most extraordinary beer". This beer has a dark brown color. Even a hard pour can not induce a head. The carbonation bubbles rise so slowly, it appears they are almost floating around in the beer rather than rising. Malty, caramel aroma. The alcohol burns the nose. Caramel flavor with dark fruits and spice. This beer is very sweet. The high alcohol is not at all hidden. The mouthfeel is syrupy. Little carbonation. Definitely a slow sipper. I know lots of people love it, but I can't get into this beer.

beveragecaptain, Sep 05, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -9%

Bright chestnut color with absolutely no head or lacing. A weak sweet aroma, and I really think I can smell the alcohol already. This baby has some lively carbonation, despite having no frothy top.

Mmmmm. That first taste was real smooth. The second is just as smooth and I'm getting some very light fruit influences which cannot be identified right off the bat. It is light bodied and sweet like the bottom of a powdered iced-tea mixture with too much sugar.

I can taste the alcohol as it gently seers my mouth, but I am actually surprised that it is not stronger. I am having the damnest time trying to identify what fruit flavor I'm picking up... Black cherries? Not really. Just alcohol and sweet.

Now, the story on the back says that it is brewed once a year in December, then aged 10 months before it is bottled (this was bottled in 2004). If my math is right then this is about 1.75 years old. I point this out because I believe its solitary confinement has given it plenty of time to reflect on how to harmonize its flavor profile. Nothing really stands out as the dominant flavor, exept the alcohol. So well balanced.

I'm an admitted hophead, and I can't single out a single bitter note to this brew. It's a dopplebock alright. I cannot stress enough that all I taste is alcohol and sweet, but this is just so damn smooth. It goes down deceptively easy. Be careful with this brew, I'm not even done and I feel like I've downed half a bottle of wine.

Hop2it, Sep 01, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +17.8%

This beer poured a clear copper/brown with a nice sized head that kept a nice lid on my brew.

The aroma was of alcohol, dark fruit, molasses, candi sugar and there is the smell of juniper berries as well.

The flavor follows the nose pretty much in that there was a good alcohol presence, Juniper, mild darker fruit flavors such as figs, molasses (brown sugar).

The mouthfeel is great. full bodied with moderate carbonation.

This is a great beer. I'm going to hang on to the other 3 bottles of this and see how they age. I highly recommend this beer.

Brian700, Aug 27, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

Dark ruby red, with thin, yet large champagne bubbles that form a decent cap; large sugary patches are noted. Thin tan swirls round off the head. Alcohol, raisins, almonds, apple core and some caramel on the nose; so delightful I can imagine a Yankee Candle Samichlaus offering! Huge bodied, massive sugary based caramel malt body; toasty offerings combined with oak and port, plums, fresh baked banana bread. A little hop come-and-go tastings near the end. A mouthfeel that is not comparable; it’s like sipping a fine port or aged whiskey; the 14.double zero ABV is nearly non-existent, yet incorporates the flavors masterfully. A treasure indeed!

GeoffRizzo, Aug 20, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -1%

Well, I finally got around to reviewing the "new" Samichlaus from Castle Eggenberg, and I was disappointed.

It's still an excellent beer that's intensely rich, full and malty - but the alcohol shows where it didn't before, and it's lost alot of character.

The color is lighter than it used to be at Hurlimann (it's gone from a brownish red with reddish orange highlights to a deep-amber that borders on chestnut with orange and gold highlights); not that that really matters, but it does appear as if there are fewer kilned malts used in its production, and that comes through in the flavor. It's no longer superbly cerealish (like Ovaltine), lightly chocolatey, fudgey, and creamy coffee-like. And the cocoanut notes only arise in the late finish.

In fact, it's a totally different beer in my opinion; one that's much closer to their Urbock 23º. It's rich and full with some caramelish notes, and there's also more fruitiness to it, but it's lost the richness of the dark malts and the alcohol comes through too easily. Otherwise it's fairly similar in appearance, mouthfeel, and drinkability. Which leaves me with one major difference... the different vintages of Hurlimann's Samichlaus seemed to age a bit, softening and improving, but I don't give this one much hope other than a softening of its alcohol.

NeroFiddled, Aug 14, 2005

Paid $4.50 for an 11.2 oz bottle.

This is Malt Liquor but it's no Colt 45. Big Beer with a nice syrupy sweet aroma and quite drinkable.

Reddish orange color. No head at all.

Sweet syrupy liquer aroma and taste. Taste the sugar. Sharp little alcohol kick. Warming.

A great nightcap. Very drinkable.

BillyB, Aug 01, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle, things look promising. But the thin foam quickly disperses, leaving a very warm and carmel-colored beer looking almost naked. I have to admit that I didn't notice the alcohol content when I was in the store, but the almost cloying aroma hints that potency is the name of the game.

Taste was disappointing -- too sweet for me, which is saying something (I have drank my share of Lindemans and the venerable Pater Witkap). It is a heavy sweetness, too, like drinking syrup straight from the bottle (or, perhaps, the tree itself). Samichlaus drinks more like a port than a beer, which is all well and good if you want to drink port.

I tasted again with food (sausages, to get in the German spirit), but no help. I don' doubt the craft of the brewer, and I suspect that this taste was precisely what he/she had in mind, but it attacks my tastebuds like too much treacle.

I let the beer warm a bit, hoping that doing so would soften the flavor, but I didn't detect any difference.

Samichlaus reminds me of the Bush (Belgian, not from St. Louis) Xmas beer, which had a similar starting point. But where Bush Xmas immediately backed off the sweet and instead morphed into spice and walnut (as I recall), Samichlaus runs headlong at you. If sweet, high-alcohol beer is your thing, then you will find few in its league.

I must admit I was drawn in by the marketing on the bottle/4-pack ("brewed only once each year"), which was foolish of me. Shame on me for thinking higher-priced beers would be better than old standbys like Corsendonk or Chimay.

theo692, Jul 31, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had this one quite a few times, but I have never reviewed it, well I have notes here from a tap version of this a 1996 keg, that I had a glass from at Ludwigs in Philly a few months ago. Anyways, this is a dark cola brown brew with a fizzy khaki head. It is reminiscent of an eisbock in looks, but the aroma is much more deep, imho. Very complex with a huge maltiness as well as maple flavors, and maybe a hint of coffee, and dessert as well. Dark fruits and nuts also slip into the olfactory senses. Taste is doughy and malty with not much of an alcoholic feel except for a slight "port-like" tinge of booze at the finish. Mouthfeel is thick and viscous and the drinkability is good, but not excellent unless you are freakin' insane. a lovely tipple, aged keg seems similar to aged bottles, but super fresh this one is not too good. Give it at least 1 year...if not more.

francisweizen, Jul 27, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

pretty much average across the board for me. Very sugary tasting which is to be expected. It says dopplebock for the description on this website but it says malt liquor. Probably some importing / exporting type law that makes them state malt liquor. This is the finest malt liquor I've ever had :) though as it is complex and syrupy to the point of you can actually see the beer cling a bit to the glass. Super strong alcohol taste and aroma. There is a candy corn background and the alcohol is snappy and needed with such a thick brew. Without a doubt a nightcapper. this is a beer to have right before bed not necessarily because of the alcohol content but because it would ruin any beer you have after it because of its over the top rich syrup type content.

DogFood11, Jul 26, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

I had this *on tap* at concordia ale house. Yeah - on tap. I had to check the beer list, then check to make sure it was the draft list, then check the spelling again. I sheepishly asked the waitress - "can I get it in a whole pint?" yes.

So the large tulip came with a thick amber liquid - red more opaque than most lagers. Just a faint head that really didn't last long at all.

The aroma had a bit of a sting to it, but it was also full of dried fruit and malt. Sweet, hot, and fruity.

The taste was initially confusing. Warmth from the alcohol, abundant (but far from overt) sweetness like raisins, robust maltiness, and a nutty crystal malt flavor.

As this beer warmed, it became more interesting and more potent. Despite it's gravity, it was very drinkable and enjoyable. On tap.

freed, Jul 22, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

07/10/05- Purchased at my local Bevmo for a $2.99 a piece closeout sale.

Presentation- 12oz bottle, dated year 2003. Poured into my La Chouffe tulip.

Appearance- Orangish color pour with a quickly evaporating foamy head. Leaves very minimal lace if any at all.

Smell- Not as much alcohol fumes as I have read in every review. Enough to notice though. Very sweet malt fumes as well.

Taste- Noticeable alcoholic base with a huge and I mean huge sweet malt taste. Lots of brown sugar flavor as well as some dried oranges soaked in alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Lower than normal carbonation with a sweet and thick syrupy coating.

Drinkability- One will be plenty...trust me! But that one will be oh so good.

***Version 2001

Alcohol still carries this beer with a brandy like flavor. Malt is super sweet and caramely, almost to the sickening point, bu doesn't cross the line. Still excellent flavor, but carries a high dose with more than one.

GClarkage, Jul 10, 2005