Samichlaus Classic Bier - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Samichlaus Classic BierSamichlaus Classic Bier

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website

Doppelbock |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samichlaus Classic Bier Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,048 | Hads: 1,881
4.69/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Pours a very clear mahogany body with a cream-hued head. It smells like a freshly opened bag of bread with a good dose of raisin and a twang of spice. There is surprisingly little alcohol detectable in the aroma. The flavor is dominated by intensely sweet and flavorful malt, like a mouthful of liquid brown sugar and toffee. Rye bread also comes to mind. There is a little prune-like fruitiness along with a touch of fennel seed-like spiciness. The alcohol is rather strong; it becomes vaporous and fills the mouth upon swallowing and quickly fades. The body is on the full side, and there is only a little carbonation. Very smooth, like thin syrup, and almost sickly sweet.

Overall lovely in color and astoundingly sweet and rich in flavor. On a personal note, I don’t normally care for high alcohol content in beer, but the alcohol doesn’t linger and interfere with the other aspects. And with such intense flavors and high alcohol content, it’s great for sipping at a leisurely pace.

4.48/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- dark copper color, pours with very little head, just a fizz that fizzes out with little carbonation
s- raisin and alcohol
t- cherry brandy, dark malts, caramel
f-warm, sweet and coats like a liqueur

3.55/5  rDev -10.8%

This is a bizarre beer. At first, I thought I was going to hate it but now, I'm not really sure what to think. Pours a tantilizing deep reddish brown, very transparent, little to no head and only minimal effervescing. Smell is mostly dark fruit, apple, raisin, plum, merlot. Taste is very heavy rasin, caramel, merichino cherries, fig, molasses. Very, very sweet. Feel is syrupy, heavy with zero carbonation. Coats every part of your insides. Little bit of a boozey burn going down feels nice.

Well, overall for me, I am glad I tried this. It is a unique experience, but the ridiculous sweetness will probably keep me from coming back frequently. Certainly something I want to explore again!

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

330ml bottle poured into a footed tulip

I've been wanting to try this one for quite a while, but always balked at the $25 price tag on the 4-pack. So you can imagine my delight when there were a couple singles in the $12.99 mixed-sixer section.

Looks unlike any beer I've ever had. Pours a glowing blend of mahogany and garnet with 1 finger of fizzy head that quickly disappears. Murky, but not quite opaque when held to the light. Looks viscous and oily in my glass. Aroma is a robust blend of dark fruits with banana peel and sweet alcohol.

Taste is equally robust. It's a smorgasbord of fruit--fig, raisin, dark plums, red grapes, banana, and black cherry are most prevalent. A touch of bready caramel malt comes through as well. Virtually no hop character except for some earthy undertones in the clean, dry finish. Body is heavy but smooth, and coats the palate well. There's clearly some alcohol heat, but I suppose it's relatively smooth for 14%. There is also a slightly syrupy, cough medicine-like, cherry sweetness coming through as it warms. I don't find it to be overpowering at all, and I actually kind of like it.

Overall, I would definitely drink this again. It's a real nice strong sipper with some table wine and brandy-like qualities. Not so sure about the doppelbock classification, but frankly I don't care what it's called. It's good. For what it's worth, it paired surprisingly well with a bacon and red onion pizza. I don't think I'd ever pony up for it at full price, but I will keep an eye out for reasonable deals on this one.

2.3/5  rDev -42.2%

Bottled in 2013

Whiskey taste mixed with kind of liqorish chocolate, too sweet for my taste, its absolutely not what i am loking for in a beer. Wont try it ever again

4.29/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had many many of these over the years, its a great beer. Not as strong as it says on teh label.

place holder review. I will get a few more and review it....

2.11/5  rDev -47%

Fruity and winey. There's a bit of a cough syrup thing happening here? Sadly I'm not so sure I'm into this one. Maybe I'm not being fair? I don't have a lot of experience with doppelbocks. But I know what I like and I feel like this was wasted on me.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had a couple of bottles years back from a now defunct local gourmet grocery. Absolutely amazing! Smooth and sweet smell and taste, very fruity with too many flavors to remember, just like a good port wine or brandy. A beer liqueur you need to sip slowly with rich dark chocolates on a plate. I don't usually like sweet brews but once a year this is a treat.

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From taste notes. Appearance: Pours brilliant dark amber to chestnut with a thin film of white fizzley foam for a head. Smell: Dark dried fruit and sherry to port aromas, leather, not much malt, no roast, not much hop but some alcohol. Taste: Starts with a blast of fruit, some sweet dark cherry, then it seques through some sherry, flavors sweetened with caramel and spiced with a trace of cinnamon. It presents a hot alcohol warming finish. Mouthfeel: A shade less than chewy. It’s less than average carbonation levels suggest a port wine texture. Overall: This is sweet and alcoholic like a sweet wine with some malt flavors running around and leaves a burst of alcohol in the back taste. A classic holiday sitting by the fire beer.

4.34/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 vintage. Poured a gorgeous coppery ruby colour, very clear. No head.

S - sweet dates, cherries, candied bananas, brandy, maybe some nuttiness, a fair bit of caramel malts coming through. Also alcohol notes.

T - quite sweet, with robust brandied cherries and dates, raisins, creamy with some slight nutmeg and spice, blended into the warming caramel flavour. Orange, no real bitterness, just a toasty caramel lingering on. Warming, alcohol is well hidden, and it drinks like a smooth brandy nearly, with a similar warming oaky character.

M - thick, candied feel with light carbonation and some definite alcohol warmth off of it.

Paired very nicely with dark chocolate, yes a lot of sweet caramel notes, but a lot of interesting dried fruity character, mixed with spices and oak. It never became cloying (had it at nearly room temperature though) and was a smoothly satisfying. I don't think you can take knocks at this beer for being what it is meant to be, it is utterly delicious, a smooth sipper and warming. It may not be to everyone's taste but it makes a nice treat.

3.3/5  rDev -17.1%

I feel juvenile writing this review. Maybe I am out of touch or breaching my comfort zone.

13oz pour into Chimay goblet

A: Generic; headless due to booziness. Chestnut body.

S: Whiskey cherries, dates, latex.

T: Raisins, maraschino cherries, toffee.

F: A great, smoothe body, but very dry finish. Again, the booze really get to me.

O: Although balanced, this doppelbock is far too much to enjoy. It's not warming, just intoxicating. The flavor is simple and straight to the point. There is nothing clean about this recipe.

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A-a clear dark ruby color with a thin layer of head that disappears quickly to leave a bit of lacing around the top

S-very sweet with lots of alcohol in the nose, dark fruits and light caramel malt

T-very sweet, tastes like sweet fruits have been marinating in sugar, caramel malt comes out as the beer warms. Incredibly smooth and not much alcohol in the taste.

M-medium body, light carbonation

Overall a truly gorgeous looking beer and way too drinkable for 14%. Would love to taste it again with some age on it.

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Bottled in 2013 (consumed Jan 2014). Poured into a chalice.

A dopplebock or a barley Wine? Missing that hop character (aroma and bitterness) so I agree a dopplebock but I can also understand how this beer could be mistaken for a barley wine. Could be an extraordinary after dinner drink. Should I have cellared this beer? Probably, but this was my first taste. Reminds me of the Samuel Adams (blue bottle) Triplebock from days gone by – 4

A – Pours a clear garnet color, very little head or lacing – 4

S - Sweet, malty, barleywine-ish – 4

T - Sweet, malty, some fruit (can’t peg the exact flavor), almost cloying sweet, slight bitterness but not enough to balance the sweetness - 3.75

MF - Warming! Med heavy - 4

Definitely a beer I need to reevaluate when I have an opportunity to taste a cellared version.

4.67/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage. Pours a clear ruby color with zero head. Very unexpected but beautiful and appealing look. The smell and flavor change as it warms. Starts off with a deep dark fruit/molasses smell you might expect to find in beers of this variety. Taste is very sweet and strong -- definitely got the dark fruits and brown sugar in there. Some booze, but not too much. It transitions into a much different smell of cherries, raspberries, and wine. The tartness is unique but appealing. Makes me want to drink more. Taste becomes more dark-fruity and the molasses becomes sweeter. When it's warm, the tart berry wine smell is still there, with grapes becoming more pronounced. Definitely more molasses smell now too. The taste is very sugary sweet, sticky brown sugar. Cloying and boozy.

Body is thick and syrupy with very little carbonation.

Definitely a winter beer if there ever was one. It's heavy on the sweetness and fruit typical of strong barleywines. A little boozy. But, it's all balanced very well and it put a smile on my face at how unique a delicious it was. I'm buying more when I find them.

3.98/5  rDev 0%

I picked up a bottle of Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg's Samichlaus Classic Bier a couple weeks ago for $5.59 at The Lager Mill. I tried this beer a couple years ago, but I don't really remember much about and I thought it was time to revisit it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into into a Teku.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice clean and classic look to it, I think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a pretty clear amber color that took on more of a ruby crimson color when held to the light with almost a half a finger of tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left hardly any lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, the color was really nice looking.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of sweetness which goes right into the fruits which are the first to show up and it imparts a big dark fruit aroma that's very juicy smelling and it makes for an aroma that similar to a dark fruit juice. Up next comes the malts which are a little on the lighter side with caramel malt, sweet malt, and toffee like aromas coming through along with a sweet alcohol aroma. This beer had a good aroma, it's pretty much what I would expect from a beer like this.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a high amount of sweetness with the dark fruits still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but they are lighter this time and don't feel as juicy as they were in the aroma. Up next comes the sweet alcohol which is fairly boozy and a little warming and it's followed by the malts which impart the same aspect that they did in the aroma, but this time more of those caramel aspects comes through along with just a little more toffee. On the finish there's no bitterness with some sweetness and alcohol taking it's place and it had a sweet, caramel, toffee and raisin like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it sure was sweet and boozy, it had some good flavors that made up for it.

M- A little smooth, not crisp, a little boozy, a little warming, pretty sticky, slightly cloying, medium bodied with a low amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel, but I wish it was a little smoother with the alcohol hidden a little better.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and good example of the style, it had pretty much all the aspects that I expect from the a very strong Doppelbock and it was just the type of beer I needed on this really cold day in Mid Michigan. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, not crisp, a little boozy, a little warming, pretty sticky, slightly cloying, not too filling and the taste did nice job at holding my attention, i think one is the perfect amount for me, no need to open another one and I think it makes for a great cold weather beer. What I like the most about this beer was the color and the balance when it came to the taste, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I like the lest about this beer was the sweetness and how well the alcohol was hidden, I think those aspects could use a little bit of work. I would buy this beer again, I'll be getting a bottle next year and I think I might have to get one or two for the cellar. I would recommend this to anyone who likes strong Doppelbocks, it's very true to style. All in all I was happy with this beer and I think it was a good idea to revisit it. It is strong and boozy, but the flavors are good and I think it's a good Winter Seasonal. It makes for a good first impression for this brewery and I would like to try more of their beers. I think this is one of the better high gravity Doppelbocks I've had. Good job guys, this is one tasty and potent Doppelbock, keep up the solid work,

This was simply an amazing beer. It taste of toffee but not too strong. You can hardly taste the alcohol in it. It's thick and rich. This is one you would drink after a meal. I would recommend this as a dessert drink. Goes with chocolate very well. Indeed one of the best beers I've tasted. It deserves a higher rating than its been given.

4.24/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Duvel tulip. No freshness date.

A- Pours a light reddish brown color with a 1/4 inch light tan head that doesn't retain long before becoming a paper-thin ring around the edge of the glass and minimal surface foam. Zero lacing.

S- Boozy aroma of dark fruit, raisin and even some red wine-like characteristic. Sherry-like sweetness.

T- The dark fruit notes continue with more raisin sweetness but the clean lager finish keeps everything in control. This is way too drinkable given the ABV.

M- Sticky, almost syrupy with low carbonation and a fullish body.

O- Haven't had this in years and I'm glad I finally revisited it. A great sipper that hasn't lost its edge even in the new era of extreme high gravity beers that have surpassed this, what was once the strongest beer in the world.

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was probably only 25 when I tasted this for the first time, and back then I only bought a bottle for it's legendary abv. Now I'm 53 and I've purchased my second bottle. The is the Bottled in 2014 version.
A - Pours a clear amber brown. The head settles very quickly.
S - Surprisingly little or no aroma.
T - Oh this is smooth. Complex, somewhat sweet, dark fruit is the flavor but it's wonderfully mild and soft. A hint of alcohol on the warming finish.
M - While not a thick beer, the flavors coats your mouth and stays with you for a good long time.
O - I think this deserves a much higher rating. A very special beer that I will buy more of now and in years to come.

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got to try the 2007 on New Years Eve. Pours an amber color with very little head to speak of. The smell was full of caramel and toffee but also oak and what smelled like port wine. The taste wasn't as sweet when I tried my first sip. Very complex and layered with different flavors. Sweet but not sugary, bold but not overpowering. Very nice.

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Upon pour, this seemed thick. just the way it arrogantly wandered out of the bottle into my snifter. Even the nearly non-existent head rose up with an air of nonchalance. Putting my nose to it, I realized why. This thing was no joke, and it knew it. It had been around, doing it's thing far longer than I had and it knew it. I paused for a moment, approached it again and took in a long pull of the liquid. Sweet, hot, dry, bold, dark fruit, candy, figs, brandy, punch in the tongue and finally just about as well balanced as you could possibly imagine despite the bickering factions that existed on my tongue. It's as if every bold, dominant taste known to beer (other than hop bitterness) came together to sing "We are the world" or some peaceful shit like that... Or maybe if Sting, Bono and Frank Sinatra sang together with Neil Peart drumming, Santana on guitar and Steve Harris on bass. You'd think all that talent would be wasted, watered down, contrived or just an ego driven fail, but no - it comes together in masterful fashion with a dry finish that begs of you to stand up and praise with "Bravo!" after every drink. My only bitch about this beer is that it's ABV is too high to drink continuously for several, several hours....

If you enjoy a Quad but haven't ever tried this - do not wait any longer. Get this NOW!

4.21/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice reddish-amber, no head to speak of. Very fruit-forwards, figs, rasins, chocolate, over a nice malty base. A bit syrupy, but otherwise nice carbonation and smooth - nice heat.

4.14/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Vintage 2010. This is my first go at this one. Have heard some mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed. A bit boozy, sweet (but not overly so), feel is smooth and creamy, light carbonation. Reminds me a lot of eggnog for some reason, which is a holiday favorite of mine. Really enjoyed sipping this one as a nightcap on Christmas eve.

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This review is from a couple years ago - This vintage beer 2007 was the grande finale of an event I held. At 14% the front label says it all "The Strongest Lager Beer in the World". At five years old we were getting this beer at it's peak having mellowed out the high alcohol to bring the sweet maltiness to the forefront. A lot of comments were; this is similar to a port and this would be a great dessert beer that would go great with cheesecake. I still have a half dozen bottles that I'm letting age and opening on Dec 6 of every year. This year I cracked the next one open and it aged even better, becoming a little more port like.

3.74/5  rDev -6%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Beer bottled in 2013:
Pours a clear auburn, maybe amber (dark in bar). Almost no head, especially within a minute of the pour. Nose is a nice sweet plum, maybe fig, fortified wine notes.

The taste is more date or other candied dark fruit. The fortified wine ability seems to fit here, also. There is an ever so light alcohol burn, and maybe that's the difference b/t this and a fortified wine, that heat.

A nice, slow sipper and if you know what you're getting into, it's a nice dessertish beer. Definitely not for all, but try it for yourselves.

4.18/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

BOD 2013. Pours a beautiful clear medium amber with a rich dark ruby cast. Exceptional head volume, lacing and retention for 14% alcohol. Rich nose of dark fruit (plum, raisin, date), caramel, and brown sugar over a rum like alcohol base. Full bodied with a thick creamy texture that is also oily slick, simply superb. Below normal carbonation with just a touch of effervescence in the finish. The flavor profile is intense, not very balanced (sweetness predominates) and complex. It begins with an assault of dark fruit (plum and raisin mostly) against a very rich sweet caramel malt background. In the middle, the dark fruits fade rapidly while the sweetness blends with a rum like alcohol. Sweetness and rum slowly fade into the finish where a bit of hop bitterness is evident. It leaves you with a surprisingly light alcohol burn at the back of the throat over a lingering sweetness with notes of rum. At room temperature, the rum flavor becomes quite pronounced as does the burn.

This one is hard to review. The first sips are world class (4.6 on the first pass), but after 10 ounces or so over 45 minutes, the sweetness becomes a bit annoying and I have the 750 bottle! So in goes a wine cap and back in the fridge this one goes.

Samichlaus Classic Bier from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg