Samichlaus Classic Bier - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samichlaus Classic Bier Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,042 | Hads: 1,848
4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

This beer was mentioned as one of the beers Santa would drink in the Canadian Taps Magazine, so naturally I had to try it.

Aroma is strong and warm, reminiscent of a Belgian tripel with fruity, butterscotchy figgy , softly spicey notes - in short, very Christmasy. Delicious rich flavour, like a butterscotch apple, and reminded me of a mulled cider with orange and clove notes. Mouthfeel is incredible, magnificent in the way it slowly opens up over your palate, at first warm and dry and tingly and then spreading down like a sweet syrup.

Unmistakeably a work of genius. (574 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a dark orange with barely any head. Ruby highlights throughout.

Smell is amazing. Oranges, dates, fig, toffee, caramel.

Taste is unique, with a big sugary malt presence right away. This beer is like chewing on liquid caramel, with a tiny bit of bitterness from hops. It's almost similar to tasting malt extract before using it in homebrews. But it is more complex than that. Plums, dates, molasses, orange candy, and golden raisins. Alcohol is well hidden behind the sweetness making it a sipper but smooth. This is the 2013 version so its roughly a year old.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and lightly carbonated. There is just this thick viscous fruity presence about this beer that makes it stand out.

A decadent beer even though its on the sugary side. It could be more dry. (777 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

2011

Small snappy one-finger comes out of an aggressive pour. Brew has great clarity. Dark brown with light purple color. No lacing, to be expected @ 14%

Angel tears. Tons of grapey caramel drizzled with milk chocolate. Sweet. Dare I say the pinnacle for a Doppelbock ?

Way sweet, yet not a sugar bomb. Well placed wet, sugar. Flavor profile is nuts. Lots of sweet raisin, red apple, pear, tangerine rind, banana...clove. Well spiced, but not even close to over-the-top. kinda peppery. Funky-ass, rubber, bitter, wetness comes though on the backend... Not sure how I feel about the mouthfeel, it could be improved. Carbonation is much heavier than appearance.

Appropriate beer for the Sugar Bowl, go Mizzou! Back-end feel is a bit too weird for me to give monumental rating. It's good and recommended, just with a grain of salt. (834 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

It looks like iced tea. The pour is a very thin looking, very clear reddishy, orangey brown. I expected a richer look. Despite the extremely high ABV, there is a fleeting offwhite head. While there is no retention, it's surprising to see any carbonation with 14% ABV.

The smell is pleasant enough for a lager, especially if you like malt. You can smell sweetness from all the malt in this beer. Mostly caramel, but a splash of chocolate as well. Nothing in the way of hops. With this being a German beer, I'm thinking it's possible it's just water, yeast and malt.

It's pretty outstanding. Lots of sweet, ripe fruits. Plenty of caramel. A dollop of alcohol and some vanilla. Honestly, I have no idea how to improve this.

For a lager, it's world-class. Plenty of flavor, lots of alcohol, and the mouthfeel is mostly just gentle and sweet. Instead of hops providing balance to the high malt character, alcohol cuts through this and provides what little balance is there. It's clearly very sweet, almost crossing the line into cloying. But it stops just short. Full bodied, despite the clear look. Sweet til the end when alcohol steps in with a warming feeling. Very syrupy feeling as the beer sticks to the tongue and throat.

Overall, this is amazing. Words don't do it justice. It's easy to drink, but be careful, I can feel the alcohol kicing in after just one. (1,365 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -2%

From a 330 ml bottle into a snifter.

A: dark amber or even a little btandy colored, this beer pours with little to no head which immediately breaks and leaves no lacing or any traces. You are left with what resembles a glass of port or brandy.

S: sweet. Demerara and molasses come to the nose first, followed by a world of dark fruits such as prunes and plums. Some anise on the tail.

T: sweet, almost too much so. The sugars are so upfront that it takes a second or two to recognize the other tastes. I found the dark fruits such as dates and prunes really came through after the initial blast of sugar.

M: medium/low carbonation and a heavy feeling body. This beer does mask the 14% abv remarkably well, which is a credit.

O: my experience with dopplebocks is pretty limited, but I can say that those I have tried were a little less full and potent than this beer. I enjoyed Samichlaus, and I think that as others have noted it may need more age on it to soften it. I will try this again. (999 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +8.8%

330 mL bottle picked up at the LCBO; from the 2013 vintage and best before Aug 2018. I'm fairly certain that this is the highest abv beer I've ever bothered reviewing. Served at cellar temperature and poured into a tulip.

Pours a deep, clear reddish-amber colour, topped with 1/4 inch of dense, off white-coloured head. It vanishes quickly, leaving only a narrow collar behind with no lace at all. Great aroma, with enough of a whiff of alcohol to help clear out my sinuses a little - that's in addition to lots of caramelized sugar, red licorice candy, molasses sweetness, raisins, rummy fruit cake and apple cider notes.

My eyes widened as I took my first sip - I've had close to 600 beers and not one of them has been even slightly comparable to this. As expected, it is extremely saccharine - honey candy sweet, almost, but this feature is probably for the best as the high sugar content helps to mask the equally astronomical alcohol content. Tons of big, dark malt flavour; there's a touch of charred wood, but for the most part the focus is on plums, raisins, sherry, toasted nuts and candy sweetness. Boozy on the finish; not overwhelmingly so for 14%, but still hot enough to remind you that this is no ordinary beer. Slightly nutty aftertaste with some vanilla. On the lighter side of full-bodied, with a syrupy quality that leaves a sticky feeling behind on the lips and palate. This is a pretty good sipper just on its own, but it's really more of a dessert beer.

Final Grade: 4.31, an A. Samichlaus Classic is by far the best Austrian beer I've had the pleasure of trying so far, as well as one of the most unique brews to grace my glass in a long time. This one isn't for the faint of heart, and if malty, boozy monsters aren't up your alley I can't see it being worth your time - as for me, this is a nice change-up from the usual fare and it makes a fantastic winter warmer. Glad I picked up another bottle to cellar for a few years, since that seems to be the preferred way to handle this stuff. (2,016 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

2013 vintage. First time trying this. I'm aware that it's supposed to improve with age, but it's supposedly already aged for almost a year so I figured I may as well blast one now and see what's up.

Appearance: Fizzy head that completely disappeared within 5 seconds, leaving a clear reddish-brown liquid. Appears to be 95% un-carbonated. I guess it looks okay, but the weird mystery head has me a bit worried. It looks like a port wine now.

Smell: Oh god, I'm in trouble. Sickeningly sweet, I'm not getting much besides sugar, weird rotten corn/grain, and a disgusting metallic aroma that reminds me very strongly of cheap high gravity lager "Camo Extra Black" ($1.50 for 24oz, 12% abv). I had a friend sniff it and he agreed that it was nearly identical to that one.

Taste: I thought I could handle sweet. Founders Sweet Repute straddled the line but didn't cross it. Samichlaus steps over the line, takes a crap on it, and then throws the poo in your face. Maybe I got a bad one, maybe it gets way better with age, or maybe the price and reputation have just convinced people that it's not as gross as it really is, who knows. But this tastes like a very slightly refined version of the aforementioned Camo Black Extra, dripping with horrible rotten corn, sugar, cheap alcohol, mushy brown apples, massive boozy heat, and a horribly offensive metallic finish. I said it multiple times already, but this tastes so much like drinking Camo straight from the can that it isn't funny. Actually it is pretty funny, as long as I can harness the power of the 14% ABV to forget how much money I spent on this mess. The same friend (who has wildly differing beer opinions from mine) agreed that the taste is nearly identical. I give this one an extra .25 of a point just because there are some things that are undeniably worse (albeit for 1/10 the price) and you gotta reserve the lowest mark for something truly special. Still... Samichlaus is without a doubt the worst-tasting "good" beer I've yet come across, and by an enormous margin.

Mouth feel: Not AS bad as the taste and smell, but still extremely offensive. It's too thin but too thick at the same time. The carbonation is extremely light, but also too sharp on the entry. After the initial sip it goes flat in your mouth and takes on a cough syrup-like consistency. It really feels like a disturbingly thick version of a cheap, cheap, awful 40oz of bad malt liquor that has been sitting around open for too long. I can't finish this.

Overall: This resembles more than anything a cheap, awful port wine with a hint of carbonation thrown into it to make you feel like you're drinking a beer. I like ports, but this is an abomination. Even at $1 a bottle, this would still be a drain pour. I have a really hard time believing that anyone could enjoy it. I do think that a couple years of age would reduce the disgusting metallic notes and maybe open up the port-like flavors, but you'd still be polishing a turd. I have no intention of finding out for myself. Stay far away unless you have a taste for rotten fruit and high-gravity lagers and someone else is paying. Utter crap. And again, I honestly cannot imagine somebody legitimately enjoying this. Maybe if you force your way through half the bottle you'll be drunk enough that it will start to taste good. I lasted four or five sips before I had to toss it to avoid throwing up.

Edit: I browsed the other low scores and found that someone described it as being "like nail polish" and I think that was the missing element in my review. Huge acetone taste on this one. That's acceptable for some kinds of rum, but in a beer of this nature it's downright vomit-inducing.

Further edit: some say this has to be aged for at least 2 years and then its true power is revealed. To that I say, why release it if it's undrinkable as-is? They already aged it for 10 months before bottling or whatever, if it needs two more years to not be horrible, why not hang on to it for that long and then send it to stores? (4,015 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

OK, I poured this into a versatile wine glass for analyzation.

A: Dark burnt sugar shade. Beautifully transparent though and looks like some royal liquid. Retention is very low. Small off white head quickly dissipated to a thin white ring around the glass.

S: Right off the bat this aroma is nothing but burnt sugar and caramel. Smells like pure candy also lending itself to being quite fruity. Dark dried fruits like raisins and prunes. Sweet malt also apparent. In all this aroma is perfectly layered and complex. They do right in the aging for 10 months.

T: Huge burst of sweet burnt sugar and molasses. The potency of the flavors is off the wall. The oily viscosity leaves the roof of your mouth beckoning for more. This beer is huge in the most elegant way possible. Malt with fruit of raisins is apparent also but in the way also is the alcohol. But I will not fault this beer one bit for the alcohol at 14%. The palate is equally well layered and integrated.

M: Heavy bodied and an oily viscosity. Carbonation is low to moderate letting the drinking to be fully exposed to the beauty of this beer.

O: Unreal is an understatement. This brew is in a realm of its own. Even though its a labeled as a doppelbock it reveals itself to be so much more than that. The tradition of this brew dating back to the 1970's and also being brewed once a year on December 6th has an alluring quality that might form a bias for most but this beer is big and for real. Don't miss out on this beer if you see it at your local beer shop. (1,529 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

May be my own lack of appreciation of double bocks rather than anything wrong with this specific bottle, but it does not live up to my expectation for this much discussed Christmas classic.

Bottle purchased at the LCBO last year is pretty flat despite an initial hiss when opening... Pours an oily yet attractive reddish amber colour, with no head. Slick mouthfeel is not overly viscous, decent despite the lack of carbonation. Complex aroma of tannins and earthy figs with a nicely caramelized malt base. The alcohol is hidden in the aroma much better than in the taste, but has a warming depth befitting its 14% ABV. The flavour also offers whisky mash tones with a distilled malt background in the finish, that lingers right at the back of the throat. A real alcohol heat from start to finish.

My expectations may have been too high, but not the dignified "classic" I expected... (885 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

smell: I don't know, it was pretty gross from the start. The smell is sweet as hell, it's all sweetness and no malt or hop aroma, smells like some sick malt that someone concocted in a malt shop.

Taste: just as bad as it smells, cloying sweetness, terrible aftertaste.

Drainpour time...

Overall: I can't describe this beer in any good way. Smells of sweetness, tastes too sweet, over cloyingly sweetness overwhelms anything that could have been. (449 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured Bottle (2012 Vintage) into tulip glass with a 1 finger head that dissapated rather quickly. Color is a brownish amber color.

Aroma is sweet, candy apples is one thing that came to mind, caramel . There is some alcohol in the nose as well

Taste - sweetness! Caramel, brown sugar, dark fruits, slight spicinesss, a bit of booziniess on the finish

Mouthfell - lower carbonation, thick and syrupy, coats the mouth a bit

Overall - enjoyable after dinner sipper for sure that keeps you warm on a cold winter day. Would probably be okay splitting this with someone. (569 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance. Pours a nice orange color with very little head that disappears almost immediately.

Smell. This is sweet, really sweet smelling . I'm getting some caramel like malt but not much else.

Taste. Well it tastes as sweet as it smells. It has a little smoky caramel flavor. The alcohol is in the back ground it is a little warming.

Mouthfeel. Its very thick almost syrupy.

Overall. It very sweet and syrupy and I would have enjoyed it more if the bottle was maybe 5 oz and not 11.2. It is like desert in a glass. (562 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured for a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. Had at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A- Pours a medium heavy amber with good amount of clarity. No real head to speak of.

S- Lots of malty sweetness and some spice.

T- Dang! This is the sweetest beer I think I've ever had. Some yeasty spice and moderate alcohol on the tongue but much of the ABV is hidden by the sickening sweetness.

M- A heavy mouthfeel which isn't surprising given the sweetness and the ABV.

O- Had always passed on this beer but finally choose this one tonight. I'm pretty disappointed in this one, it is just way too sweet. (588 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Apologies, I lack the vocabulary to adequately review as the others I've read, but here's what I took away.

A: Thick amber/red, limited head
S: Sweet
T: Finish was a clinging, lingering combo of raisins and maybe licorice. Very unpleasant to my palette.
M: Thick and impressive

Overall: Definitely heated up my gut. Mouthfeel was full and pleasant, but I could not get past the cloyingly sweet finish, with a lingering aftertaste that I found highly unpleasant. To each his own, but I'm not impressed. (505 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Delicious.

Appearance,: Welcoming deep amberish caramel brown color, little to no head.

Smelled of Caramel, honeycomb, molasses, and slight milk chocolate, with bits of fruits like raisins and cherrys. I have a stuffed nose so it could be different.

The taste was the same, although predominantly Honeycomb, fruity, and Malty taste, with a sweetness akin to Butterfingers, Maltesers, or Whoppers.

Mouthfeel: it registered in the middle of the tongue, wasnt heavy in the back or the front but lingered in the middle of the tongue just right even well after you'd swallowed the nectar.

Overall an excellent beer. Probably to sweet for some peoples taste but i vastly enjoyed it.

4.75/5 would drink again. (712 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Beer goggles for beer.

A short, tan, bubbly head tops off this reddish-brown brew. The froth fades quickly, leaving very little evidence of its existence behind.

Prolific caramel malts, ripe cherries and milk chocolate to the nose. A little allspice and sweet bread linger.

Tastes of caramel, cups full of brown sugar, maraschino cherries, and licorice. Has a spicy aftertaste. Bitterness is negligible. Finishes off with a sloppy syrupy kiss.

Hot and heavy with the kind of body that slams you down and rides you ragged. There's no accounting for taste, so choose your pleasure.

This one is ia bit too sweet for me, although the prominent alcohol heat warmed me up quickly and helped me forget some of it's less appealing aspects. Always up for trying huge beers, but find many times there are too many trade-offs in the balance department. (849 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I've had this beer numerous times over the past 20 years, since it first knocked my socks off in the early 1990's as an impressionable young beer fanatic. The bottle I'm reviewing here has been cellared for 10 years (2005 vintage).

An aggressive pour yields only a small, sudsy head that dissipates quickly. No lacing. Nearly clear red/amber body. Aroma still shows alcohol in a pleasant way, reminiscent of a decent brandy, plus tons of caramel, dark fruits like prunes and raisins, vanilla, massive maltiness.

There is a complexity here but there could be more. Again you are assailed with caramel and brown sugar sweetness and fruity esters showing raisin, date, fig, prune. Nice vanilla notes, subtle woodiness, hints of umami style mushroom notes, burnt sugar.

Medium body with low carbonation, slick and a little sticky but not really all that pronounced considering the abv and overall sugar levels. I just had a high ABV DIPA that was miles stickier and fuller bodied than this. Slight warming from the alcohol after the finish but nothing too untoward.

This is an intriguing beer and one that everyone should try at least once. I wish I could have done a vertical because honestly, I think this would be better with a little more alcohol heat. This is so mellow at this stage in the game it's too one-dimensional. Samichlaus was revolutionary two decades ago in America but at this point we have surpassed it by strides. Drink this next to something like Sucaba and you will probably agree. I get that one is a high gravity lager and the other an American take on an English barleywine but the flavor profiles are pretty similar. This even looks like a barleywine. I can't believe how much I flipped my lid over this all those years ago! (1,750 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance- Pours up no head and has no retention. There was patch of bubbles that seemed to be an off-white to light beige color. The body is a dark amber with hints of maroon which appears as a dark amber with glowing orange in the middle when held up to the light. No lacing is left behind.

Nose- Very enjoyable and very promising. Chocolate is the prominent note, followed by raisins, coconut, and caramel. Has suggestions of cherry, toffee, and vanilla. There is a slight nuttiness to it and a vinous quality to it as well. I don't detect any heat though and swirling doesn't add any nuances.

Taste- Starts off with a lot of syrupy cherry and raisins which move into sweet chocolate and hints of tolerable soy sauce. Lots of oak, vanilla, caramel, brown sugar, and molasses. As you might be able to tell from my description, this has a very heavy malt bill. And don't worry, the alcohol is there. Very messy with lots of complexity and presence but still very enjoyable. Flirts with being cloying but I think the obvious alcohol reins this in somewhat. Much more vinous than the aroma, with tendencies toward port and sherry. Would like to see more bitterness or perhaps a coffee component to balance liqueur sweetness of the flavor profile. Some nuttiness and coconut. Pretty good beer but not great. Pretty sure I'm going to grab a few bottles and see what some aging will do.

Mouthfeel- Medium to heavy bodied with a huge amount of syrup. Minimal carbonation wouldn't be a problem at all if this were even heavier and thicker. Or maybe had little grit to it.

Drinkability- It's pretty messy and the booze isn't hidden. I'm enjoying it nevertheless. 6 bucks a bottle seems reasonable considering the ABV and the process.

Overall- Pretty good beer. I fully understand the polarization that this beer causes. This is not a beer for the novice or anyone who likes lighter styles. This is not a beer that you should really drink more than one of. I would love to see what aging will produce. Definitely worth a try if you like big, bold, malty beers. (2,063 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

In "The Naked Pint", Perozzi and Beaune describe this beer as a sought-after rarity and I have seen such a reference elsewhere. Alberta is improving by leaps and bounds but we are not a craft beer Mecca yet. Nevertheless, one can find this beer if one looks, in both Cowtown and Edmonchuk. Got mine at Co-op in the former, a nondescript bottle that boldly claims to contain some of the world's finest. Pours a dark brown with reddish highlights, was for some reason excepting pitch black. Aroma is very sweet, like dark fruits, a bit musty like old wine. Palate is indeed complex but largely along a sweetness dimension. There is a bit of an old fermented flavor that veers into brett territory and a twinge of earth and wood, but this is a deep, dark, and rich complex of sweet flavors that hit rum, butter cream, tiramisu, rich toffee, vanilla, and molasses notes ... No clear hops noted. Minimal bitterness and although the body is unexpectedly thin, finish is clingingly sweet. Overall effect recalls port. Awesome "dessert" beer that one could pour on ice cream. My preferences would dictate more bitterness to balance the sweetness but this is not an IPA and should be judged on the basis of what it is: Something that defies style and provides a pretty unique glimpse into what a sweet beer is capable of doing. (1,318 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

Passed by this beer many times at the bottle shop, but a friend highly recommended it to me, so I finally gave it a try. Maybe my expectations were off here....

- The beer pours a nutty brown with almost no carbonation.

- Smells very sweet with toffee and malt notes.

- Taste is off the chart sweet. Just a malty sweet syrup mess that lingers in my mouth for seemingly ever. I was hoping for some bitter roasty flavors to balance it out and add complexity. This is not for me, I could easily be convinced this is a port wine. And the booze is VERY apparent

- Mouthfeel is terrible.

-Overall, this an astringent overly sweet malt syrup that just lingers, no balance or compelixty. This could be sold as a cheap port ($5 for 12oz port is on the cheaper side). Not for me, the more I drink the more I hate it. Drain pour the second half of bottle. (849 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I must admit that the Doppelbock is one of my very favourite styles, probably THE favourite on matters of native European styles.

Rich, complex, nourishing and warming; It's holder of a blend of aromatics one seldom sees anywhere else - The pastry, melanoidin and usually over the top caramel sweetness, are just right up my ally.

You can then imagine how this beast is something I have been longing to meet for some time. Its violent sweetness - Don't get put off just yet - and unworldly complexity is evident right off the bat. Descriptors like pastry, cream, caramel, tiramisù, coffee, pumpkin pie might even cross your mind if you pontificate enough.

Also, while this beer is definitely sweet by any possible measure, it's never ever cloying - the beer's sweetness dies out just at the right moment, allowing for one's palate to focus on whatever else is going on while keeping it from saturating. Likewise the ABV is high but never harsh on the palate.

It's also very softly carbonated but you won't - well I didn't at least - notice it until you're almost done with the beer.

I could go on. I really could; But if there's a point I want to really drive home it's just how much this beer is a child of magnificent artistry and how it should be had by damn near anyone and everyone who is serious about craft beer. (1,329 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Served to a snifter

A: A beautiful deep amber and somewhat copper appearance. Very similar in appearance to a darker rum really. Not much head but that's understandable due to the extremely high ABV.

S: Deep aromas of boozy fruit cake are instantly available. The alcohol isn't super present though and from the aroma I would have no way of guessing it was so strong.

T: Very sweet and malty. Dark fruits in the vein of figs, plums, and raisin that have been heavily caramelized come to mind. Hops are next to none but if you step into a doppel looking for hops you've come to the wrong place.Brown sugar flavors are also present .Once again the alcohol isn't all that present in the flavor but as it warms it becomes more pronounced.

M: Rather syrupy and low alcohol. One at first could deem this as unacceptable but I really think that this beer has to be approached differently.

O: This beer was somewhat different than what I'm used to but it was nice. Definitely a winter sipper. A whole glass could definitely over encumber your palate with sweetness and booze but once in a while its nice. (1,102 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a clear orange/amber color with a finger of very short lasting white head.

S: Very mild - mostly plum and apple cider.

T: Quite sweet and very boozy. Mostly one note caramel.

M: Quite thick with low, prickly carbonation.

O: Pretty boring and very boozy. No major taste flaws, though. (324 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -6.3%

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Samichlaus Classic: 14% ABV, Austrian; Appearance: mid-amber; Smell: malty; Taste/Mouthfeel: heavy, rounded, toffee, alcohol (brandy), burnt toffee finish; no noticeable alcohol "bite"; good

Poured into a pint glass. (267 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2007 bottle poured on 8-24-2013, poured into sniffer glass.
A: pours a reddish brown color, one finger white medium bubble foam head that quickly fades, very little lacing
S: hints of chocolate and roasted malt, dark fruit, sourness, some alcohol presence as it warms, sweet honey notes
M: creamy and syrupy, wow it really sticks to your tongue....
T: malt, some oxidation, sherry, honey, dark fruit, sweet, slight boozy, really good for 6 year old beer
O: a sipper brew, taste really comes out as it warms, at 14% abv it is not a boozy as I thought it would be. (562 characters)

Samichlaus Classic Bier from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg