Samichlaus Classic Bier - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Samichlaus Classic BierSamichlaus Classic Bier

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  14.00% ABV

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001)
View: Beers (18) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samichlaus Classic Bier Alström Bros
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +15.3%

2007 vintage

A - deep, glowing amber, very attractive colour, very clear, head forms, and quickly fizzes away

S - brandied apricots, thick malt, not a lot of booze, clean

T - smoooth, rich malt, really extravagant, candied fruit and spice, malt is the focus, but the sweetness is very well restrained by attenuation and alcohol, aftertaste is dry biscuit and bready

M - med body, has some weight, but is not weighed down, med carbonation is a little prickly which ever so slightly increases the alcohol presence, but also helps liven it up and keeps things moving, alcohol is incredibly smooth and mellow, though it's presence is still quite obvious

D - hell ya, this is what big strong malty beers are all about

Just an incredible treat to savour and enjoy. I must say this old standby is far more preferred to more acclaimed Thomas Hardy, as well as the extra strong lagers that are on the lighter side. This is a damn near perfect execution, which is no small feat considering the size of this beast. Yum!

02-12-2010 23:45:23 | More by markaberrant
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

330ml bottle poured into Unibroue glass feb11 2010

A clear ruby brown with little head or lace but decent carbonation

S dark fruits/cherry with some booze and caramel

T candied fruits with burnt sugar/toffee and a little booze. rather complex can't wait to see how one ages... so here I am drinking it today

M a little syrupy with more carbonation then what was visible

D not sure if its a good or bad thing that this one's ringing in at 14%. it's well concealed and this could just smash you if your not careful, so be careful

I have a magic closet with no doubt, this is the fourth good beer I've managed to hide from myself only to find at a later date. this is a decent beer and its unique so you should give it a go if you get the chance

02-12-2010 08:33:28 | More by wordemupg
Weizenmensch

Japan

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

330mL brown bottle with silver collar, best before 11.2013. Laughably labelled MALT LIQUOR 11.2 FL.OZ - evidently this bottle came to Japan via the USA.

Pours chestnut-brown with a small amount of off-white head quickly dissipating to a ring around the glass, and some sticky lacing. Some fine-bubble carbonation. Unassuming - something that has undoubtedly startled more than one Samichlaus newbie!

Volatile alcohol dominates the smell, and brings aromas of apricots, dried stone fruit, pear, the nuttiness of cashews and almonds but without their characteristic fragrance and flavour. Grapevines, fruit chews etc. That pectiny fruit stickiness and sweetness is all over the place.

In the mouth it's an intense mix of flavours - one that I unfortunately think is a little unbalanced. It's still an enjoyable beer, but it's overwhelming. It's overwhelming to try and separate them, too, but I'll try: most of all, alcohol on the palate. Along with it comes candied sugar, so sweetness and alcohol dominate (unsurprisingly)! Overripe red grapes. No idea what hops are used - there's no bitterness but there's a hop flavour, although it's odd to say a 'hop vegetable flavour' without the specific impact of the hops themselves. There's more but it's very complex and I'm not a good enough reviewer to separate them all any more! I'll work on my skills and come back to it in a few hundred beers' time.

Mouthfeel is evaporative and leaves a little skunkiness after everything's gone. Drinkability is not good, unless you're after a light refreshment to celebrate success at a vodka-drinking competition.

Overall: My opinion of this beer is that it works hard to be a rich, complex yet drinkable STRONG lager. The appellation of "strongest lager in the world" surely influences the brewing - it doesn't chance upon this title. But why be the strongest? Because you can't be the best? I think this brewery makes a fine beer, but I give it a poorer rating than it deserves mainly because it isn't merely a delicious beer, it's a STRONG beer made for those who appreciate beer but want something more potent.

Having said that, it's very complex, and I may be the ignorant critic here. I may feel it's a little unbalanced today, but come back when my beer-tasting skills are back on track and recognise a whole palate of different flavours that I had missed before. If so, I'll update my review.

I'm not ignorant, and I'm not new to this one-of-a-kind brew; I first had it eight years ago in a house near Mainz and I didn't underestimate its pedigree. But as of this review, it doesn't perform like I expected (and remembered) it to. However, I'll enjoy the rest of it with cashews and pistachios - it's well-suited to nutty flavours.

But call it what you want, it's sui generis; it's not a doppelbock.

REVIEW #2 6/Feb/2010

This is a young vintage - 2008, it's only been available for purchase where I am for a month or two. I've had it before a few times, and it tastes fresh and fruity. At this ABV it will certainly improve with age. I wish I had the foresight and discipline to buy a few cases of this, age it somewhere cool and quiet and enjoy it in a few decades.

When this young, it's pleasant, but not truly impressive. This follows a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout whose complexity I appreciated much more. Nice appearance in the glass, good head retention considering its ABV. Tons of sugary, fruity smells which continue on the tongue. Can be a bit cloying in the mouth too - I won't be drinking this bottle's twin brother just yet. Maybe not the beer I was after for a quiet Saturday afternoon, but I should be grateful that it's even available in Japan, let alone in my small, regional city.

Overall - a complex beer that is a must-try because of its fame and significance... but don't crack open the freshest batch, or you may be underwhelmed. Still interesting and complex, but not up to its potential in my opinion.

02-06-2010 10:31:30 | More by Weizenmensch
alleykatking

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2006 Vintage. Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a clear watery brown color. Light copper hues added in for a little more. Half finger white head comes and goes rather quickly. Light soapy lacing on sides of the glass that fall back down into the beer.

S- Big hints of darker fruits right off the bat. Sugar coated plums come to mind first. Some prune and raisin also in there for good measure. Nice light hints of vanilla and some brown sugar in there as well. Alcohol is present and actually burns the nose a little.

T- Sweet upfront on this beer. Almost too much since I didn't expect it. Brown sugar and molasses tie up the front end with some light malt undertones. The rest of the beer begins with a light vanilla taste that quickly dies into a dark fruit fest in the mouth. Plum is the biggest fruit tasted and it is almost like having a shot of plum wine in this beer.

M- Heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little lacking. Very syrupy feeling in the mouth. Big sweetness with darker fruits left everywhere on the palate and in the aftertaste long after the sip is done.

D- It took a lot from me to try and choke this beer down. The sweetness got to me after about the third sip. I have 3 more sitting in the cellar that looks like they will be aging a little while longer.

02-06-2010 03:56:39 | More by alleykatking
seedsofchaos

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

2006 bottling

A: pours thick tea brown with no head; so thick that carbonation wasn't noticeable until looking at the top of the pour. Hints of yellows and ambers. No lacing.

S: rich oak, maple, molasses, pine nut and vanilla

T: a complex treat of sweet malts, oak, molasses, vanilla, fig, nuts and smoke with little to no hop character

Mf: usually smooth thickness with a pronounced syrupy feel... although it goes down with ease..

D: high abv but a great sipper to share with your mates

02-03-2010 00:28:39 | More by seedsofchaos
4000qtrap

Missouri

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

Source/Serving: 12oz. Bottle. No expiration date.

Smell: Sweet brown sugar, some cidery notes, lots of pumpkin pie spice, caramel, juicy prunes, and a pinch of bananas. Quite nice.

Taste: Slightly toasted caramel and a little brown sugar blended with plum wine that has a slight fruit juice character. Turns into an interesting play between earthy spices and aged, dark sourness and a little mineral though everything rides over a rich brown sugar note. For me its not anywhere near too sweet. A hint of alcohol is noticeable. Finish is sweet, juicy, nutmeg, mineral, and dries out a bit after a moment.

02-01-2010 00:01:33 | More by 4000qtrap
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.03/5  rDev -24.1%

I'm rating this one quite a bit lower here but maybe this one needs more age... I had the 2008 bottling...

Pours a light brown appearance with no head at all... A thick syrupy liquid sitting there in my Chimay goblet...

Huge boozy aromas come roaring off of this one... Sweet and boozy with a hint of something dark and fruity... Mostly booze here... I'm a little concerned...

Yikes... This one is way too hot to be enjoyed right now... The doppelbock flavor is there but its overpowered by the booze and gets lost in the mix... Not much more to say here...

I'm probably going to revisit this one when its aged and hopefully mellowed out some... As it is, its just too boozy and I couldn't get past it... Usually doesnt bother me in these high ABV brews but this one was rough...

01-31-2010 23:10:59 | More by Tilley4
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear rich ruby color with a very thin head. Nose is very malty, rich and boozy. Quite sweet, but hard to get passed the booze.

Surprisingly the booze isn't too strong for being 14%. It's very sweet, but still drinkable. A Bit bitter, but not much for hops here. Interesting beer, worth giving a shot.

01-31-2010 03:24:35 | More by kingcrowing
Infamous7100

3.55/5  rDev -11%

This was reviewed at the end of my night after a few cocktails and a couple Belgian beers, so you are warned.

A: This 2007 edition pours a dark cherry almost sherry wine color into my snifter. Hardly any head to speak of and absolutely no lacing. Color looks great.
S: Malts and booze, malts and booze! Very sweet, carmel malts paired with a hint of booze. Perhaps some dark fruit as well, almost as if I am smelling a port wine. There a nary a scent of chocolate, which I associate with most dopplebocks.
T: So, so, sweet. I think too sweet. The malts, carmel and dark fruits come together in a cacaphony of flavored goodness. There is a wine, perhaps rum as some before me have stated, flavor as well. It does remind me of a malted port wine.
M: Very creamy, not much carbonation to speak of. Very sweet up front. The booze then joins the party. This finishes sticky and warm. The aftertaste is almost akin to that of a shot of Stag (cherry flavored Bourbon).
D: In small doses, I think this would be great. However, I highly reccomend trying this with something salted, some meat, or some cheese. I believe when paired with any of those offerings, the overpowering sweetness of this beer would match perfectly. Tried by itself, I cannot get past the richness of the flavor, it's almost like a dessert that is too rich. This review is a reflection of my experience tonight, perhaps I will try it again when pairing it with the food mentioned above.

01-29-2010 02:54:21 | More by Infamous7100
jzeilinger

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Pours a cinnamon color with extremely light carbonation and a thin white ring around the glass. Swirl the glass, and the carbonation becomes very active along the sides only for about a second or so. Nothing relevant, but I found it to be interesting.

Smells of brown sugar, sweet candy-like malts, mild fragrant booziness, dark fruit, mild spiciness.

Taste is carmel and toffee (predominantly), hints of plum linger in the background, has a spicey character, a little bready. The best way I can describe this in the simplest of terms is sweet carmelized alcohol toffee! The huge alcohol volume in this gives the beer a hint of rum flavor as well.

This is a pretty heavy beer, syrupy, sticky sweet - at this ABV, that's to be expected to get the alcohol reading up there, you need the sugar. Finishes dry and boozy like a cognac, maybe best to enjoy in a snifter? The sip is velvet-like smooth and the drinkability...well...I could drink these all night (which realistically amounts to two, maybe three depending...). I'm not sure I'd pair this with food or anything else because I wouldn't want to taint the enjoyment I'm getting from this bottle, it's definitely a sipper.

Prior to January of this year, I'm sorry to say I wasn't familiar with this beer. I was lucky enough to get this as an anniversary gift from my wife (part of a beer gift basket), I've enjoyed it immensely. HIGHLY recommended.

01-28-2010 02:54:46 | More by jzeilinger
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A bit over-hyped brew in this current incarnation. While an interesting experience it rests too heavily on its iconic reputation that is not really up to it on this batch.

Presentation: 330 ml. (11.2 Fl. Oz.) bottle. Old fashion streamed label design in silver and brown with brewery logos and Samichlaus imagery. Front label brags about its originality, which is extended on the back label with a minimal historic note, cellaring life, and a repeat phrase about its extraordinary grandeur. Shows bottling date as 2008, hence brewed on December 6, 2007 and aged for 10 months. Notes Alc. by Vol. (14%) Poured into a snifter.

A - Ruby brown with a quick 1/4" bubbly head that fades in a blink and leaves no lacing, in fact struggles to leave much of a surface memory with a totally flat appearance.

S - Boozy sweetness, there is some caramel, a malty note maybe, but a sugar coated alcohol range predominates.

T - The flavor echoes the smell and if anything exacerbates the flat extremes of the brew. It lacks a malty, sweet or even fruity complexity, while there is a dark fruit range struggling to emerge a flat sweet booze takes firm command.

M - Medium body with a prominent and single minded alcohol profile. It is trying to be somewhat smooth but overall it does not quite make it.

D - Not too good a sipper actually. The alcohol profile is not only too prominent, which is not necessarily a problem, but it is too single minded, and without much range to offer it can only pick up the predominant sugary character with minimal complexities.

Notes: If it didn´t brag so loudly about how it is the most extraordinary beer in the world maybe one would not fell that it is getting itself knocked out before the fight has started. Too pompous for its own good, I´d rather have them concentrate on the brew and not in one legged marketing around a tired reputation. In fact, without this propaganda, one could even say that it remains a decent brew with a way to go. But surely this is nowhere close to being the most extraordinary anything in the world...

I´m storing away the rest of this four-pack. Here´s hoping that a few years will mature this brew taking it a bit closer to the reputation that it gained over its history.

01-26-2010 00:24:01 | More by Daniellobo
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

***2008 vintage***

I've had this a few times in the past but it makes a while since my last one. My wife got the ball rolling on this one actually as it's one of her favorites and she brought 4 to her parents when we went for supper there last night so that's where i had it.

Poured from a 330ml. bottle.

Appearance: A semi-clear amber body with 1-2 finger head.

Smell: Sweet smelling with some dark fruit. Not as strong of an aroma as i would have expected.

Taste: The intense sweetness is what hits you first. Also some hints of figs and dried plums. Tastes a little like liquid candy.

Mouthfeel: I'm not sure why but it doesn't really feel full-bodied. All boozy upfront and ends rather abruptly. No fullness to speak of really. It is quite smooth regardless and the carbonation is very low as it should be.

Drinkability: Taking the ABV into consideration, i found it drinks rather well. A sipper for sure but it didn't feel like a chore.

Overall: I like it but not as much as i used to. Still, it's a good beer and i'll still try it from time to time.

01-25-2010 13:28:32 | More by papat444
Bisho

Australia

4.6/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Samichlaus tulip glass - 2006 vintage.

Mmmm... Christmas beers. I love to try these things but funny enough, here in Australia, it's always the beginning of summer when they get released!

A: Brown with ruby red hues. Small head which dissipates fast leaving lots of tiny bubbles around the glass. Very little lacing on top.

S: Lots of brown sugar, sweet malt and dark fruits. A lillte yeast, baked bread & chocolate. Oh, and the alcohol is sure there in the nose too!

T: Unbelievable! Doesn't hit you straight away but the flavour emerges as you swirl it around your mouth. Sweet bread, plums, prunes, sweet malt & a hint of chocolate caramel.

M: Syrupy with lots of carbonation and the ABV is always present. This one gets smoother as it warms in the glass.

D: I love this beer. To me it's like drinking a fizzy port with more sweetness on the back of the palate. A definite sipper. I have managed to down 3 in one sitting but at 14% ABV, as well as being pricey, it is definitely not a session beer. Will cellar well too if you have the patience!

01-20-2010 07:08:03 | More by Bisho
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

11.2 fl oz. bottle served in a pilsener glass. Bottled in 2008 indicated on the label. Poured a translucent reddish-brown with a loose half inch off-white head that promptly dissipates into a fizzy skim and band around the perimeter of the glass; no lacing. Nose is dark fruit (plumes, prunes, green apple), brown sugar, molasses and a little booze at the back. Taste consistent with nose - very sweet and almost vinous in some regards, on a malty backbone. Mouthfeel is light-medium with an aggressive, almost prickly carbonation and some residual heat the lingers on the tongue and at the back of the throat. Delicious and complex - probably a little young, but this brew has great aging potential. Pick some up and throw it in your cellar.

This is actually a review of a 1996 vintage from the closed Hurlimann Brewery. Thanks to Dave Guay for perhaps one of the most memorable beers I've tried.
A: 4.0 - Pours a hazy, burnished chestnut - no head or lacing.
N: 4.5 - Nose reveals brown sugar, molasses, chocolate, tootsie rolls and figs towards the back.
T: 4.5 - Follows nose - more chocolate comes out in the flavor profile.
M: 4.0 - Medium-light, some acidity and a little chalkiness.
D: 5.0 - Incredible - such complexity. It is simply amazing as to what some age has done for this beer. My understanding is that the recipe is still the same, but 14 years has made this an exquisite and one of the most memorable beers I've ever tried.

01-18-2010 01:52:53 | More by Jwale73
rarbring

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

A brown amber beer with red hints, very small head and nearly no lace. An oily surface is seen at swirl.

A very distinct almost pungent smell, stable, earth, dried fruits like dates, the alcohol is nearly overpowering.

A sweet heaven of dried fruites, raisins, figs, dates and apricots. Malty caramel and bread notes are there as well, with almonds and sherry tones. And of course the alcohol content is very much present. A short bitterness is noted but the overall impression is a sherry sweetness.

Very little carbonation, but a very nice sauternes feeling.

This is a clear sit-and-enjoy-before-the-fire-beer, and let it last for a long time.

01-17-2010 15:54:12 | More by rarbring
mondegreen

Georgia

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

2008 Vintage. 11oz Bottle poured into a Samichlaus Tulip.

A: Gorgeous garnet hue. Small receding head, leaving only a slight amount of lace around the rim. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising up the side of the tulip.

S: Sweet malts & yeast. Bread & fruit.

T: Taste is slow to emerge, but comes on full force after a second on the tongue. The sweetness is huge, followed by a pleasent alcohol burn in the aftertaste.

M: Moderate carbonation, thick syrupy brew. Very nice.

D: For 14%, this beer is an easy sipper. I'd worry about cloying if I had too many, but I don't see anything wrong with this beer.

01-16-2010 22:38:07 | More by mondegreen
hmf05

4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

A: clear, dark red, quickly dissipating head

S: nice whiff of baked bread, dark fruits (cherry, plum, raisin), slight milk chocolate. one of the best smelling beers i have ever come across

T: extremely sweet (not unlike the 120 min ipa), bread, cherry, plums, some sort of spice, maybe some milk chocolate

M: light carbonation, thick syrupy consistency

D: For what it is, it is pretty drinkable. i don't taste the 14% that the label suggests. It's obviously a sipper. GET IT!

01-16-2010 01:45:29 | More by hmf05
biggred1

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev -5.3%

2009 Vintage.

Clear dark ruby with a slight creamy skim of cream colored foam. The nose is big and alcoholic with buttered rum, dark fruit and oaky vanilla bean. The flavor is very rich and vinuous tasting with notes of spiced rum and prune juice that grow more complex as it warms up a bit. Thick and syrupy bodied with subtle carbonation that adds to the drinkability. I'd bet a year or so in the cellar would do this beer some good.

01-13-2010 03:06:05 | More by biggred1
david18

2.95/5  rDev -26.1%

I'm not sure what the big deal is with this beer. Like i said in my review of this beer in a bottle, this is too strong and too sweet for my taste.

The bar I had it at, Spuyten Duyvil, was so head over heals about this beer, everyone talking about it (it just came on draft), people making special trips in, etc.

Anyway, it's a very dark beer with a strong dark fruit malt flavor but still not strong enough to balance the alcohol or the sweetness.

01-08-2010 23:25:59 | More by david18
OskarL

2009 Classic

Appearance - A nice dark red to the brown side. With a small head that leaves very little lacing.

Smell - Lots of dark fruits like plumbs, sweet syrup, chocolate and alcohol in the background.

Taste - Malt, and lots of it! Dark fruits, sweet syrup, chocolate, butter, vanilla and warming alcohol that adds some spice to it as well. A very complex taste!

Mouthfeel - Very thick, full bodied with little carbonation.

01-08-2010 18:13:54 | More by OskarL
deltatauhobbit

Maine

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

2006 Vintage

Pours an amber color with a faint tinge of orange when held up to the light, small head, no lacing.

Smell is strongly malty with a heavy caramel/toffee presence, there's also a lot of dark fruit in the aroma, a tinge of alcohol in the background but overall it's well hidden considering the 14%.

Taste is a caramel/toffee/dark fruit kick to the mouth, great carbonation with a crisp feel, a bit too sweet and sticky though, the alcohol burn is well hidden at first through the syrupy mouthfeel but eventually starts to make a slow burn.

Realized I hadn't actually reviewed this yet, kind of surprised but I'm glad I still had a bottle of 2006 to open up instead of a newer release.

01-06-2010 23:21:34 | More by deltatauhobbit
Evil_Pidde

4.47/5  rDev +12%

A: Pours clear dark amber with a rather small white fast-dissipating head.

S: Roasted malt, lots of dark dried fruits and a bit alcohol. Some sweetness to it as well.

T: Sweet rich light roasted malt, lots of dark dried fruits. Dark syrup and chocolate. A bit alcohol in the taste as well.

M: Full bodied and light carbonated. A nice pretty long aftertaste that holds some dry bitterness but a very rich sweetness. Creamy and alcoholic feel in the mouth.

D: I had the 2009 version, but I guess that the other bottles I bought and cellered will improve over the years. A very, very intersting and nice beer that probably will be greater for each year I'll manage to keep my hands off.

01-05-2010 20:39:01 | More by Evil_Pidde
DrDemento456

4.75/5  rDev +19%

I had this 2007 vintage bottle on my shelf for almost a half a year. I wanted to drink it on an occasion and what better than the new year!

A - Never really saw the color to tell the truth. I always drank it out of the bottle (had this twice). I would say its a dark ruby color and after the first gulp it made a good amount of head inside the bottle.
S - Dark roasted fruits and chocolate. Awesome.
T - Much better than the 2005 vintage I had at a bar with a friend once. To me the 2005 tasted of malt liquor and chocolate but this 2007 vintage had heavy figs, raisins, and sweet chocolate.
M - As the beer warmed up the flavors got lighter and you could feel a slight alcohol burn but it wasn't too off putting.
D - At 6-8 dollars a bottle it's like champagne on new years but much more enjoyable.

Overall my friend and I agree that this was truly a great brew and I may track it down and buy it again if the price is reasonable (paid 6.00 for my bottle)

01-03-2010 21:35:39 | More by DrDemento456
Mora2000

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

2006 vintage. Pours orangish-yellow with a white head. Very clear. The aroma is a mix of honey and brown sugar. The flavor is lots of honey with some alcohol. Very sweet. Lots of fruit in there as well. Medium mouthfeel.

01-03-2010 17:49:27 | More by Mora2000
bmwats

Louisiana

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 33 cl bottle into a pilsner.

A: Dark rich amber. Pours a 1 finger bubbly white head. Settles slowly leaving a thin layer of bubbly carbonation on the surface. Eventually dissipates almost completely. A little lacing quickly retreats into the body of the brew.

S: Dark roasted malt. Bittersweet chocolate. Pecan shells, licorice, clove, and butterscotch. A little peaty.

T: Thick syrupy sweet malt. A lite bitter licorice. Butterscotch and caramel. Molasses.

M: Thick, heavy body. Sweet and bitter coats the palette. Pungent peaty aftertaste. Dry finish from the heavy alcohol content. Strong alcohol flavor, too.

D: Great beer to sit and sip.

Really good atmosphere. Appearance is deep, dark, and pristine, but not overly exciting. Nose is outstanding. Great tones... great combination of elements. Flavor has outstanding balance of sweet and bitter. Overall, this is a great quaff.

01-03-2010 04:41:58 | More by bmwats