Samichlaus Classic Bier - Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samichlaus Classic Bier Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,041 | Hads: 1,844
3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottled in 2013 (consumed Jan 2014). Poured into a chalice.

A dopplebock or a barley Wine? Missing that hop character (aroma and bitterness) so I agree a dopplebock but I can also understand how this beer could be mistaken for a barley wine. Could be an extraordinary after dinner drink. Should I have cellared this beer? Probably, but this was my first taste. Reminds me of the Samuel Adams (blue bottle) Triplebock from days gone by – 4

A – Pours a clear garnet color, very little head or lacing – 4

S - Sweet, malty, barleywine-ish – 4

T - Sweet, malty, some fruit (can’t peg the exact flavor), almost cloying sweet, slight bitterness but not enough to balance the sweetness - 3.75

MF - Warming! Med heavy - 4

Definitely a beer I need to reevaluate when I have an opportunity to taste a cellared version. (826 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage. Pours a clear ruby color with zero head. Very unexpected but beautiful and appealing look. The smell and flavor change as it warms. Starts off with a deep dark fruit/molasses smell you might expect to find in beers of this variety. Taste is very sweet and strong -- definitely got the dark fruits and brown sugar in there. Some booze, but not too much. It transitions into a much different smell of cherries, raspberries, and wine. The tartness is unique but appealing. Makes me want to drink more. Taste becomes more dark-fruity and the molasses becomes sweeter. When it's warm, the tart berry wine smell is still there, with grapes becoming more pronounced. Definitely more molasses smell now too. The taste is very sugary sweet, sticky brown sugar. Cloying and boozy.

Body is thick and syrupy with very little carbonation.

Definitely a winter beer if there ever was one. It's heavy on the sweetness and fruit typical of strong barleywines. A little boozy. But, it's all balanced very well and it put a smile on my face at how unique a delicious it was. I'm buying more when I find them. (1,128 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

I picked up a bottle of Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg's Samichlaus Classic Bier a couple weeks ago for $5.59 at The Lager Mill. I tried this beer a couple years ago, but I don't really remember much about and I thought it was time to revisit it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into into a Teku.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice clean and classic look to it, I think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a pretty clear amber color that took on more of a ruby crimson color when held to the light with almost a half a finger of tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left hardly any lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, the color was really nice looking.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of sweetness which goes right into the fruits which are the first to show up and it imparts a big dark fruit aroma that's very juicy smelling and it makes for an aroma that similar to a dark fruit juice. Up next comes the malts which are a little on the lighter side with caramel malt, sweet malt, and toffee like aromas coming through along with a sweet alcohol aroma. This beer had a good aroma, it's pretty much what I would expect from a beer like this.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a high amount of sweetness with the dark fruits still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but they are lighter this time and don't feel as juicy as they were in the aroma. Up next comes the sweet alcohol which is fairly boozy and a little warming and it's followed by the malts which impart the same aspect that they did in the aroma, but this time more of those caramel aspects comes through along with just a little more toffee. On the finish there's no bitterness with some sweetness and alcohol taking it's place and it had a sweet, caramel, toffee and raisin like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it sure was sweet and boozy, it had some good flavors that made up for it.

M- A little smooth, not crisp, a little boozy, a little warming, pretty sticky, slightly cloying, medium bodied with a low amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel, but I wish it was a little smoother with the alcohol hidden a little better.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and good example of the style, it had pretty much all the aspects that I expect from the a very strong Doppelbock and it was just the type of beer I needed on this really cold day in Mid Michigan. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, not crisp, a little boozy, a little warming, pretty sticky, slightly cloying, not too filling and the taste did nice job at holding my attention, i think one is the perfect amount for me, no need to open another one and I think it makes for a great cold weather beer. What I like the most about this beer was the color and the balance when it came to the taste, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I like the lest about this beer was the sweetness and how well the alcohol was hidden, I think those aspects could use a little bit of work. I would buy this beer again, I'll be getting a bottle next year and I think I might have to get one or two for the cellar. I would recommend this to anyone who likes strong Doppelbocks, it's very true to style. All in all I was happy with this beer and I think it was a good idea to revisit it. It is strong and boozy, but the flavors are good and I think it's a good Winter Seasonal. It makes for a good first impression for this brewery and I would like to try more of their beers. I think this is one of the better high gravity Doppelbocks I've had. Good job guys, this is one tasty and potent Doppelbock, keep up the solid work, (3,840 characters)

This was simply an amazing beer. It taste of toffee but not too strong. You can hardly taste the alcohol in it. It's thick and rich. This is one you would drink after a meal. I would recommend this as a dessert drink. Goes with chocolate very well. Indeed one of the best beers I've tasted. It deserves a higher rating than its been given. (339 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Duvel tulip. No freshness date.

A- Pours a light reddish brown color with a 1/4 inch light tan head that doesn't retain long before becoming a paper-thin ring around the edge of the glass and minimal surface foam. Zero lacing.

S- Boozy aroma of dark fruit, raisin and even some red wine-like characteristic. Sherry-like sweetness.

T- The dark fruit notes continue with more raisin sweetness but the clean lager finish keeps everything in control. This is way too drinkable given the ABV.

M- Sticky, almost syrupy with low carbonation and a fullish body.

O- Haven't had this in years and I'm glad I finally revisited it. A great sipper that hasn't lost its edge even in the new era of extreme high gravity beers that have surpassed this, what was once the strongest beer in the world. (807 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was probably only 25 when I tasted this for the first time, and back then I only bought a bottle for it's legendary abv. Now I'm 53 and I've purchased my second bottle. The is the Bottled in 2014 version.
A - Pours a clear amber brown. The head settles very quickly.
S - Surprisingly little or no aroma.
T - Oh this is smooth. Complex, somewhat sweet, dark fruit is the flavor but it's wonderfully mild and soft. A hint of alcohol on the warming finish.
M - While not a thick beer, the flavors coats your mouth and stays with you for a good long time.
O - I think this deserves a much higher rating. A very special beer that I will buy more of now and in years to come. (672 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got to try the 2007 on New Years Eve. Pours an amber color with very little head to speak of. The smell was full of caramel and toffee but also oak and what smelled like port wine. The taste wasn't as sweet when I tried my first sip. Very complex and layered with different flavors. Sweet but not sugary, bold but not overpowering. Very nice. (342 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Upon pour, this seemed thick. just the way it arrogantly wandered out of the bottle into my snifter. Even the nearly non-existent head rose up with an air of nonchalance. Putting my nose to it, I realized why. This thing was no joke, and it knew it. It had been around, doing it's thing far longer than I had and it knew it. I paused for a moment, approached it again and took in a long pull of the liquid. Sweet, hot, dry, bold, dark fruit, candy, figs, brandy, punch in the tongue and finally just about as well balanced as you could possibly imagine despite the bickering factions that existed on my tongue. It's as if every bold, dominant taste known to beer (other than hop bitterness) came together to sing "We are the world" or some peaceful shit like that... Or maybe if Sting, Bono and Frank Sinatra sang together with Neil Peart drumming, Santana on guitar and Steve Harris on bass. You'd think all that talent would be wasted, watered down, contrived or just an ego driven fail, but no - it comes together in masterful fashion with a dry finish that begs of you to stand up and praise with "Bravo!" after every drink. My only bitch about this beer is that it's ABV is too high to drink continuously for several, several hours....

If you enjoy a Quad but haven't ever tried this - do not wait any longer. Get this NOW! (1,329 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice reddish-amber, no head to speak of. Very fruit-forwards, figs, rasins, chocolate, over a nice malty base. A bit syrupy, but otherwise nice carbonation and smooth - nice heat. (179 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Vintage 2010. This is my first go at this one. Have heard some mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed. A bit boozy, sweet (but not overly so), feel is smooth and creamy, light carbonation. Reminds me a lot of eggnog for some reason, which is a holiday favorite of mine. Really enjoyed sipping this one as a nightcap on Christmas eve. (339 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This review is from a couple years ago - This vintage beer 2007 was the grande finale of an event I held. At 14% the front label says it all "The Strongest Lager Beer in the World". At five years old we were getting this beer at it's peak having mellowed out the high alcohol to bring the sweet maltiness to the forefront. A lot of comments were; this is similar to a port and this would be a great dessert beer that would go great with cheesecake. I still have a half dozen bottles that I'm letting age and opening on Dec 6 of every year. This year I cracked the next one open and it aged even better, becoming a little more port like. (639 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Beer bottled in 2013:
Pours a clear auburn, maybe amber (dark in bar). Almost no head, especially within a minute of the pour. Nose is a nice sweet plum, maybe fig, fortified wine notes.

The taste is more date or other candied dark fruit. The fortified wine ability seems to fit here, also. There is an ever so light alcohol burn, and maybe that's the difference b/t this and a fortified wine, that heat.

A nice, slow sipper and if you know what you're getting into, it's a nice dessertish beer. Definitely not for all, but try it for yourselves. (553 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

BOD 2013. Pours a beautiful clear medium amber with a rich dark ruby cast. Exceptional head volume, lacing and retention for 14% alcohol. Rich nose of dark fruit (plum, raisin, date), caramel, and brown sugar over a rum like alcohol base. Full bodied with a thick creamy texture that is also oily slick, simply superb. Below normal carbonation with just a touch of effervescence in the finish. The flavor profile is intense, not very balanced (sweetness predominates) and complex. It begins with an assault of dark fruit (plum and raisin mostly) against a very rich sweet caramel malt background. In the middle, the dark fruits fade rapidly while the sweetness blends with a rum like alcohol. Sweetness and rum slowly fade into the finish where a bit of hop bitterness is evident. It leaves you with a surprisingly light alcohol burn at the back of the throat over a lingering sweetness with notes of rum. At room temperature, the rum flavor becomes quite pronounced as does the burn.

This one is hard to review. The first sips are world class (4.6 on the first pass), but after 10 ounces or so over 45 minutes, the sweetness becomes a bit annoying and I have the 750 bottle! So in goes a wine cap and back in the fridge this one goes. (1,250 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a seidel mug. Frothy cream-colored head from the pour two fingers thick. Lacy film over the liquid. Brown body with blonde hues and medium carbonation. 4.5

Smells like a caramel apple. Sweet malt and bread. Toast even. Slight alcohol aroma. Mildly reminiscent of a sweet wine. 4

Immediately reminds me of a grape sucker. There's certainly a grape quality that blends with the sweet, caramel malt flavor. Slight taste of alcohol, but nothing offensive. I am not crazy about the taste of a grape lollipop, so this isn't my favorite. I'm not sure how age will alter this, but I'll have to try again. 3.25

As the beer is low carbonation and thick it has a syrupy quality. A bit of yeast feel mid-palate and the finish has a touch of solvent. Not my favorite collection of sensations. 3.5

I had high expectations for this brew, but it's not nearly my favorite. Fresh, it seems to be a syrupy, candy-like, low-carbed wine. It's a bit too sweet for me too I guess. This doesn't make it bad at all, just very average. (1,025 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -14.1%

Brief write-up of a 2013 vintage. Perhaps as expected, it was an up-and-down drinking experience. At first, the flavor finishes with too much leather/booze. But after a few sips, the general flavor profile balances the alcohol better, at the cost of coming across too sweet at times. Having said that, it was surprisingly easy to drink for a 14% beer.

3.4/5: Up-and-down, but still a fun drink (395 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

The look: dark but not stout dark but doublebock dark.
The smell: it smells how a doublebock should smell kind of carmelly with a honey smell.
Taste: the taste of plums and apricots with a hint of ginger and spice.
The feel: like a good nights sleep after warming numbing a wonderful doublebock.
The overall: just one of the finest doublebocks you will ever enjoy. (364 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

2013 batch.

A: Pours an opaque dark brown. Mid-sized and soda-like light brown head. Head fizzes out almost instantly. No lacing, no head retention.

S: Sharp and sweet maltiness. Very sugary. Candied fruits for sure. Lots of raisin but a little cherry and maybe even grape?

T: More of the same very malty from start to finish. Up front there is a little bit of herbal quality mixed with some heavy dark bread. A good amount of cocoa too. Pure sugar in the middle with dark fruits, again with raisins but some light stone fruit (cherries?). Lightly earthy and herbal, just a hint. Sugary through the finish and lingering forever, like I just ate a tablespoon of table sugar. A little sharp alcohol in the aftertaste too.

M: Heavy, super sweet and syrupy. Low carbonation.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I figured it would be exceptionally harsh but it is not. It is however, super sweet. I can hear my teeth rotting. Heavy and thick with sharp alcohol leads to not-so-great drinkability; this is certainly a sipper. A good sipper though. Not too harsh, not too over the top. 11.2 ounces is just right, anymore would be hard to handle. (1,152 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a rich, clear, deep amber with a frothy, lingering khaki head. I can smell melanoidins and deeply toasted malt across the room. Dark fruit notes of raisins, dates, prunes, figs, and bruised cherries add complexity. The flavor is very sweet, with a toasted malt and fruity specialty malt backbone. The finish is surprisingly dry and toasted. Boozy, rum-soaked figs, raisins, and dates provide fuel for the syrupy sweetness. Could use some age to develop those esters a bit and calm the alcohol. It's definitely for those with a sweet tooth! I really wanted to love this, but it's just too sweet. (600 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

2013, poured into a Samichlaus snifter.

A: Pours a deep copper body, approaching ruby-brown. Slight tan head builds but subsides momentarily. Great clarity and bubbles here, with plenty of legs.

S: Date syrup, sweet raisin bread, and alcohol. Not complex, but pleasant.

T: Sweet, fruity bread, date syrup, toffee, alcohol, and vanilla. Again, not too many things going on, but a nice depth and everything blends well.

M: Syrup, syrup, and pleasant warming in the throat.

O: The English Barleywine of Doppelbocks. Syrupy sweet, but pleasant throughout. (556 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

2012 bottle. Pours a nice reddish hue, a little on the dark side, very clear and with lots of carbonation. Little to no head on this one. Very VERY heavy and fragrant sweetness in the smell.

Taste is very sweet, not harsh in the slightest. Far too sweet to really call a beer. Almost tastes non-alcoholic. Carbonation, although heavy to the sight is not at all overbearing, very light in feel, drinkable.

This would be a great dessert beer, very palatable. (459 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

2012 Vintage. Pours a beautiful amber red with a small off-white head. Medium to high carbonation. The nose hits you with dark fruit and bready notes. The taste follows the nose but is extremely sweet with some vanilla that rounds off the dark fruits, caramel malt and alcohol. Reminds me of a sweet alcohol syrup. I can only imagine having this with a meal or a substantial dessert. It finishes slightly dry. This is definitely a sipper. (438 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a Fremont small snifter. Pours a medium to dark orange amber with very light carbonation, just a few light patches and a thin ring around the glass. Aroma of sweet caramel and bready malt, toffee and light cardboardy oxidation. Flavor is very sweet with concentrated cherry, dark stone fruit, toffee and caramel malt. Finishes with spicy fruit, caramel malt, a bit boozy, but plenty of flavor to back up the alcohol. Heavy bodied, nearly syrupy, which is enhanced by the low ABV. Quite a remarkable ale, the doppelbock is there, but on steroids. So sweet and syrupy it seems like it should be cloying, but the sweetness and alchohol are melded into the great malt and fruit flavors. Almost like the apertif version of a bock. Not for the sweet adverse, but a great dessert beer and pleasant late evening drink. Deserves its classic name and reputation. (864 characters)

3.96/5  rDev 0%

Brew is a fairly clear, nearly transparent muddled red/amber. Head is relatively small - ~1 finger - but quite lively. Retention is fair, and lacing is minimal.

Big notes of caramel and toffee. You can tell the beer has quite a kick, too.

Wow! Flavor follows the nose, and then some. Intensely sweet, with big, big notes of caramel and toffee, dark fruit, a little bit of vanilla, and candied fruit. Sugar, alcohol, and some more sugar.

Silky and oily medium-light mouthfeel - a high-octane lager, indeed. While the alcohol is noticeable as a liquor-like presence, it's not at all hot, which is very impressive.

This beer is truly a quaffable, drinkable glass of liquid diabetes. It's very good, but very potent, and the intense sweetness is sure to turn some people off. Would make a good sipper over a good long hour (or more!). (834 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Samichlaus Classic Bier pours a dark classic amber from a deep brown 11.2 oz glass bottle with a pry off cap.

Head went to about one finger before disappearing completely, no ring of foam, no islands of foam, and no lacing of foam or alcohol.

Nose is a major malt with whiffs of alcohol with herbal notes.

Mouthfeel is an extreme viscous with an abundance of malt saccharides and herbs. Little, if any of the 14% alcohol by volume can be detected. This translates to an extremely well balanced brew.

There is a lose parallel to EKU 28.

This is definitely a world class brew.

OMG, this is good! (600 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Crystal clear, deep ruby body. Absolutely zero head retention which is fair enough for a 14% beer.

S - Deep pit fruit and maltiness. Nice caramel notes as well. Little to no chocolate and zero hops.

T - Extremely rich. Like drinking melted dark fruit cotton candy. Cloyingly sweet, but still a crisp flavor. Warming booze character. Borders on medicinal unfortunately.

M - Sticky, not as crisp enough for a dopplebock IMO.

O - Interesting beer, extremely flavorful. Not a text book example of a doppelbock, but fun to try. Much too sweet for my tastes. (561 characters)

Samichlaus Classic Bier from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg