Insomnia Black Ale - Relic Brewing Co

No picture uploaded.

Relic Brewing Co visit their website
Connecticut, United States

American Black Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: nebula1999 on 03-31-2013)
Reviews by JTomczak:

JTomczak, Aug 01, 2014

kevinpetruzielo, May 13, 2013
4.11/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

"...combines Breiss Midnight Wheat malt, British Chocolate malt, and Carmel malt with loads of Columbus, Chinook and Centennial hops. Citrusy, spicy and earthy flavors..."

Pours pitch black into a large dimpled mug. Half inch tan head, fading, yet persistent and evenly thin.

Aroma is all delicious hops with that wonderful undercurrent of roasted malt characteristic to the style. Citrus, and earthy indeed.

Taste is also hopped up, with a moderate bitterness. Not overpowering in that regard though, and balanced nicely with the dark malts. The nose is more inviting, but make no mistake the flavor is full of a citrusy, piney, sticky hop presence that is so appealing to so many. But the body and mouthfeel are not as full as I had hoped keeping this from lofty high marks. But nonetheless a beer I was hoping Relic would produce, and here we are! My new favorite from Relic.

First appearance 3-29-13

nebula1999, Mar 31, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

slim2043, Jun 08, 2014

BenSparks34, Jul 12, 2014
3.43/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured chilled into pint glass this black ale has a pretty solid black appearance with mahogany edges and a modest but fair tan head of scattered froth. The lacing is similarly solid, releasing sporadic crackled webs as you progress. The aroma provides a pleasant brown sugar malt but the hops are a sort of odd sour dough pine. I remember when I tried this at the brewery, prior to purchasing the growler, that the aroma and flavor both were disappointing to me. Not very hoppy from what I could tell and I was getting some odd, less satisfying aromas and flavors. But my expectations are so high with Relic that I decided to bring some home and hope I was just out of sorts that Saturday afternoon. So now I'd have to say the aroma is better, but still not exciting me. Definitely a bit skunky, though I'd say it's growing on me with each sniff. As for the taste, it remains disappointing. There is a bit of a dishwater effect here that is "washing" out the subtle malt and hops. Very odd to me. Judging from the previous reviewer here, it seems like there is something perhaps wrong with my growler, but it's not horrible. Just odd. I generally like the unusual qualities I've come to expect from Relic, but this just seems off to me. I get cabbage, a touch more of sour dough, mineral water and light brown bread. Hops are thin and hard to describe, citrus I suppose. Like the aroma, it grows on me a bit and I find it worth a try in the final analysis. The hop edge manifests more in the finish with a slightly dry, thin feel with medium-light body. Carbonation is polite. It appears that this was one of the "one and done" brews for Relic and I'd have to say that I won't miss it. A rare miss for Relic from my experience.

Durge, Apr 26, 2013

enslighet01, Aug 31, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Gambrinus1184, Apr 19, 2013
Insomnia Black Ale from Relic Brewing Co
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.