2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Monk Chai Winter Porter - Village Brewery

Monk Chai Winter PorterMonk Chai Winter Porter

good

Village Brewery visit their website
Alberta, Canada

American Porter |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: leaddog on 11-25-2012)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 10 | Reviews: 4 | Show All Ratings:
Trancesexual

2.73/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a solid, opaque black color with a finger of slowly dissipating tan foam.

S-Very interesting. You get all of the usual roasty chocolate flavours that you'd associate with the style, but the chai spicing offers a nice counterpoint on the nose.

T-Wow. I enjoyed the nose, but this combination of flavours just not entice my tongue at all. Overall it blends into a very medicinal taste that reminds me unpleasantly of echinacea.

M-Medium carbonation keeps it pretty dry for porter, but it's quite enjoyable.

O-I applaud the legitimately bold move here by mixing these incongruous ingredients in the brew, but frankly it coalesces into a taste that I can't get behind.

03-31-2014 04:39:01 | More by Trancesexual
joemcgrath27

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

A - very nearly pitch black, finger of head retained at a thin cover with consistent lacing
S - pleasant chi tea spices, dark chocolate and roasty notes, touch of cinnamon
T - chi, nutmeg, cinnamon, more subtle porter notes of roasty and chocolate malt, definitely an interesting mix
M - medium body with decent carbonation, feel is consistent with a decent porter with an added spice kick
O - a well executed and original first seasonal brew from Calgary's newest brewer, I think this is better than their current flagship brews

11-25-2012 03:29:17 | More by joemcgrath27
leaddog

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

Village Brewery's first seasonal entry.

Appearance - Pours a dark chocolate brown with a half finger width of bubbly beige head.

Smell - Roasted malts, chai spices (cinnamon, clove, light ginger), chocolate.

Taste - Chai tea spices (as picked up in the aroma along with cardamom) along with the roasty malt flavours and a hint of chocolate. Slight earthy hops with mild bitterness. Chai spices last in the long finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - A well-crafted first seasonal by Village Brewery. Warm chai spices shine through and blend well with the roasted malts. Good body without breaking into watery territory (as I find some porters can be). If you can get your hands on one of the limited growlers in Calgary, pick one up - definitely worth a buy.

11-25-2012 03:04:45 | More by leaddog
zachloveshisbeer

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

Had a friend pick up a couple of limited edition growlers from the brewery. I guess I got the last "branded" one and that made me feel pretty special. Anyway, served my buddy's growler slightly chilled into pint glasses and wow does it ever look and smell good! I pick up all of the spices mentioned, maybe minus the mint which, to be honest, may have been a little off-putting. It poured a dark brown with ample head that stayed there the whole time. Lacing was very strong throughout and the smell just kept coming. The taste was great too with a nice mouthfeel and not at all watery. I get where the whole chai thing comes from and I definitely saw the concept unfold as I drank it. This beer is one of those beers you definitely have to keep an open mind while drinking, and I think some smoked gouda would open it up even further. I've still got my growler left and I'm thinking about cracking it soon as I was told my the brewer that it should keep about 6 months in a cool location.

01-10-2013 18:17:51 | More by zachloveshisbeer